ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV *The NEW Movies Thread* (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=280244)

listopencil 08-20-2014 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 10832024)
So, this is probably old news, but I just saw that Michael Douglas is playing Hank Pym, so they're are obviously including a passing of the torch plotline.

Also, with the announcement of further details about the Dr. Strange movie upcoming, what are people's thoughts and feelings about Marvel announcing not only will his movie not be an origin story, but that they are not doing origin stories for movies going forward?

Seems a bit ballsy...

I want to see the origin stories.

Frosty 08-20-2014 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 10834413)
I took my son to go see this when it was playing in theaters. We really enjoyed it. My son was stunned when it was over. He didn't realize that we had been sitting there so long. That's pretty good for a 15 year old that isn't really into the genre all that much. In fact he has gotten more into (somewhat) similar stuff since watching that movie. I would have loved almost any other major or minor actor playing Keanu Reeves' part, but they limited his role enough to get over it.

Yeah, he barely spoke, which helped a lot.

I am not a Keanu hater; he just didn't fit the role that well. For one thing, he is a little old to be playing the part he did. For another, he doesn't look remotely Japanese.

Rausch 08-22-2014 12:28 AM

Just watched I'll Follow You Down.

The kid from The Sixth Sense is all grown up and the lead. Skully is his mother. Pretty good cast really.

Technically a sci-fi flick but more character driven. I'd recommend it as a rent. I liked it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0tBBJVPh6c

listopencil 08-22-2014 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 10834418)
Yeah, he barely spoke, which helped a lot.

I am not a Keanu hater; he just didn't fit the role that well. For one thing, he is a little old to be playing the part he did. For another, he doesn't look remotely Japanese.

That would have been a great part for a relatively young foreign actor. I don't know...maybe it wouldn't have been made, or it wouldn't have gotten the same budget, without a "name" in it. The rest of the cast carried the film nicely though.

Easy 6 08-23-2014 02:32 PM

Currently watching a most excellent flic on TNT... The Island with Ewan McGregor, Scarlett Johannsen, Sean Bean, Buscemi and Djmon Honsou.

Pretty sure its the heaviest subject matter you'll ever see Michael Bay involved with... in the not too distant future rich people are growing clones of themselves for spare organs, skin transplants etc. Scar Jo and Ewan are clones who escape and go in search of their "sponsors".

Very good movie, an easy 3 of 4 stars... the only thing keeping it from 4 for me is that in true Bay style a few of the action sequences strain credulity, but still an excellent movie.

Oh! and Tig from SOA in a role as a scientist... you'd hardly recognize the guy, the mark of a great actor.

Hammock Parties 08-23-2014 03:05 PM

<iframe width="640" height="385" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/A-b2YNErwxw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Anyong Bluth 08-23-2014 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 10843098)
Currently watching a most excellent flic on TNT... The Island with Ewan McGregor, Scarlett Johannsen, Sean Bean, Buscemi and Djmon Honsou.

Pretty sure its the heaviest subject matter you'll ever see Michael Bay involved with... in the not too distant future rich people are growing clones of themselves for spare organs, skin transplants etc. Scar Jo and Ewan are clones who escape and go in search of their "sponsors".

Very good movie, an easy 3 of 4 stars... the only thing keeping it from 4 for me is that in true Bay style a few of the action sequences strain credulity, but still an excellent movie.

Oh! and Tig from SOA in a role as a scientist... you'd hardly recognize the guy, the mark of a great actor.

It didn't get that great of reviews, but I thought it was a lot better than the people who panned it as a dud. At the least it's definitely worth a watch.

Hammock Parties 08-24-2014 04:33 PM

Anyone see Sin City yet?

Bowser 08-24-2014 05:41 PM

This looks like a total mind ****...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/rae7_O_6EtU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ragedogg69 08-24-2014 09:03 PM

Quote:

Scarlett wanted to do a nude scene in that. she thought it was unrealistic to keep her cloths on. Bay wanted PG-13 so he refused.

Also, this movie is a pretty big rip off of a MST3K movie.

Still a pretty good popcorn flick.

Hammock Parties 08-24-2014 09:57 PM

This movie.

http://cgfewston.files.wordpress.com...ast-poster.jpg

YES.

listopencil 08-24-2014 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragedogg69 (Post 10847478)
Scarlett wanted to do a nude scene in that. she thought it was unrealistic to keep her cloths on. Bay wanted PG-13 so he refused.

I hate him now.

Hammock Parties 08-25-2014 10:31 AM

<iframe width="640" height="385" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/eGekYsxalsc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

lcarus 08-25-2014 10:36 AM

Quote:

I like that movie.

Easy 6 08-26-2014 10:07 PM

Just finished Noah and here's my review...

Its the biggest piece of shit I've rented in atleast five years, I'm tempted to ask for my money back when I return it.

Hammock Parties 08-27-2014 11:06 AM

Finally saw the Hunger Games movies. Loved both.

Can't wait for November.

Also, I wasn't sure about rooting for a female protagonist since I've been raised by our backwards society to root for male leads 95 percent of the time. I actually really enjoyed Jennifer Lawrence, and not just for her boobies.

I'm hoping Daisy Ridley can pull off something similar in the new Star Wars trilogy. In fact, I'm pretty sure that's what they're going for.

Buehler445 08-27-2014 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Count Zarth (Post 10853264)

Can't wait for November.

Also, I wasn't sure about rooting for a female protagonist since I've been raised by our backwards society to root for male leads 95 percent of the time. I actually really enjoyed Jennifer Lawrence, and not just for her boobies.

I'm hoping Daisy Ridley can pull off something similar in the new Star Wars trilogy. In fact, I'm pretty sure that's what they're going for.

Except they split the third book into 2 movies.

Hammock Parties 08-27-2014 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 10853310)
Except they split the third book into 2 movies.

Works for me.

Hammock Parties 08-29-2014 11:04 AM

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2-_-1nJf8Vg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Anyong Bluth 08-30-2014 10:33 AM

Anyone seen The Pervert's Guide to Ideology? It's a documentary, and available on Netflix.

I rather enjoyed it, if you like history of the cinema and it's role / impact within culture.

The title is a bit odd.

Rausch 08-30-2014 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Count Zarth (Post 10853264)

:facepalm:

Watch Coherence or Fringe and enjoy a real female lead...

KCUnited 08-31-2014 08:43 AM

I saw Sin City 2 3D yesterday. The 3D was fantastic early on but seemed to fade as the movie went on. Story was much weaker than the first one and it seemed overall less violent. Decent enough though and Eva Green's breastessszzsss.

Bowser 08-31-2014 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 10866040)
I saw Sin City 2 3D yesterday. The 3D was fantastic early on but seemed to fade as the movie went on. Story was much weaker than the first one and it seemed overall less violent. Decent enough though and Eva Green's breastessszzsss.

That movie got destroyed by the Star's reviewer. That alone made me want to see it.

KCUnited 08-31-2014 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 10866092)
That movie got destroyed by the Star's reviewer. That alone made me want to see it.

It was a pretty sorry attempt at a sequel, I was ready for it to be over by the time it ended. It was alright for an afternoon flick during a holiday weekend though, except for the over-laugher sitting in the row behind me. You know the guy that laughs hysterically at any mildly humorous one liner. He was so annoying that I actually stayed through the credits until the lights came on so I could get a look at what this epic dumbass looked like. Kind of like when someone is driving slow in the left lane and you weave in an out of traffic to get up next to them so you can see what kind of dumbass even does that.

It's really why I only go to one or two movies every year.

Bowser 08-31-2014 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 10866118)
It was a pretty sorry attempt at a sequel, I was ready for it to be over by the time it ended. It was alright for an afternoon flick during a holiday weekend though, except for the over-laugher sitting in the row behind me. You know the guy that laughs hysterically at any mildly humorous one liner. He was so annoying that I actually stayed through the credits until the lights came on so I could get a look at what this epic dumbass looked like. Kind of like when someone is driving slow in the left lane and you weave in an out of traffic to get up next to them so you can see what kind of dumbass even does that.

That was you? Sorry man. My therapist says it's good to get out and laugh, but said nothing about at the expense of others. I'll buy you a beer at the overpriced AMC bar next time.

(but seriously, nothing is worse at a movie. I've actually moved before due to clowns and their uncontrollable not-well-timed laughter in movies)

KCUnited 08-31-2014 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 10866131)
That was you? Sorry man. My therapist says it's good to get out and laugh, but said nothing about at the expense of others. I'll buy you a beer at the overpriced AMC bar next time.

(but seriously, nothing is worse at a movie. I've actually moved before due to clowns and their uncontrollable not-well-timed laughter in movies)

Lol, he was bald with a goatee.

Mickey Rourke's character: "The city was dark and it has been 2 days since I cracked some skulls."

Over-laugher behind me: "BWWAAAAAHHHAAAAA! oh, man!"

Bowser 08-31-2014 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 10866140)
Lol, he was bald with a goatee.

Mickey Rourke's character: "The city was dark and it has been 2 days since I cracked some skulls."

Over-laugher behind me: "BWWAAAAAHHHAAAAA! oh, man!"

LMAO

Props on not turning around and chucking your Milk Duds at him one at a time.

Hammock Parties 08-31-2014 09:37 AM

I actually really want to see Sin City 2. Because I love bad movies that revel in their awfulness.

But the ****ing theater here REFUSES to take it off the 3D showing, which means 9.50 minimum. I usually go to 5.50 matinees. I REFUSE to pay 10 bucks to see Sin City 2.

Maybe next week.

-King- 08-31-2014 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 10866118)

LMAOLMAO Reminds me of the Louis CK joke.

The Franchise 09-02-2014 01:27 PM

Finally got around to watching Amazing Spiderman 2. It wasn't bad.

Rausch 09-02-2014 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 10873507)

It wasn't good either...

ragedogg69 09-08-2014 09:11 AM

Well I would like to thank everyone who absolutely shit all over A Million Ways to Die in the West. I went in with low expectations and was pleasantly surprised. It was MacFarlane humor, but that does not make me angry like a lot of people. Dare I say 4/5.

KCUnited 09-08-2014 09:17 AM

Not that I ever expect much from Tribeca, but Resolution was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Is the 100% on RT a troll job or am I totally missing something?

lcarus 09-08-2014 09:49 AM

Anyone else seen the Angry Video Game Nerd movie yet? I saw it. Been a fan for years but god damn the movie was dog shit. I didn't laugh once. Jokes were just entirely lame.

ragedogg69 09-08-2014 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 10893356)
Anyone else seen the Angry Video Game Nerd movie yet? I saw it. Been a fan for years but god damn the movie was dog shit. I didn't laugh once. Jokes were just entirely lame.

Oh God Angry Video Game Nerd, I haven't watched him in years. I thought james only did Let's Plays now? AVGN was a show I would catch up on and stay up all night watching them all. The point where it became about his "comedy" and less about the games, I stopped watching. Even his Let's Plays are boring now.

Rausch 09-09-2014 03:52 PM

Really?

No one has watched Coherence yet?...

nstygma 09-12-2014 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 10897611)
Really?

I did based on your recommendation. I had it figured out at one point and started to feel meh, then it surprised me. Good movie!

I just watched The Rover with Guy Pearce and Robert Pattinson. I suspect most people won't get it, but for those of us that do, really fine flick.

Coochie liquor 09-12-2014 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 10873507)

Same here. I thought it was good. But spidey has always been my fave so....

Rausch 09-12-2014 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nstygma (Post 10904848)

I just watched The Rover with Guy Pearce and Robert Pattinson. I suspect most people won't get it, but for those of us that do, really fine flick.

I've been wanting to see that as well...

Fish 09-12-2014 08:17 AM

Quote:

Man, that's some weird shit..

Easy 6 09-12-2014 11:37 AM

Watched "Monuments Men" last night, not bad at all, enjoyed it more than I'd have guessed... good looking and well acted.

Saving Europes art treasures isnt the first thing you think of when pondering WWII, but this movie helps impress upon you its importance.

I give it an easy 3 of 4 Easies.

-King- 09-12-2014 03:35 PM

Question... How important is the first Captain America movie to the Winter Soldier one? I don't really have an interest in watching his origin story but I REALLY want to watch Winter Soldier. Would i miss anything by skipping the first movie?

Easy 6 09-12-2014 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 10906091)
Question... How important is the first Captain America movie to the Winter Soldier one? I don't really have an interest in watching his origin story but I REALLY want to watch Winter Soldier. Would i miss anything by skipping the first movie?

You'd really only miss how he becomes CA and his early friendship with another player from Winter Soldier.

NewChief 09-12-2014 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 10906125)
You'd really only miss how he becomes CA and his early friendship with another player from Winter Soldier.

This. Not really important. The first CA is pretty damned good, though. Quite a bit more than just an origins story. You also will miss the whole rise of Hydra thing, though they splice it in pretty well and probably give enough background that you'll understand.

Fire Me Boy! 09-12-2014 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 10906226)
This. Not really important. The first CA is pretty damned good, though. Quite a bit more than just an origins story. You also will miss the whole rise of Hydra thing, though they splice it in pretty well and probably give enough background that you'll understand.

I agree. I actually really had no interest in the first, and I quite enjoy it now.

Buehler445 09-12-2014 11:29 PM

Caught Ironclad on Netflix. Wasn't a worldbeater, but worth a watch if you're into people getting hacked the **** up.

Annnnd Kate Mara is hot. She didn't act worth a damn in this one and her English accent is horrid, but she's HOT.

Catch it if you have a few minutes.

Easy 6 09-12-2014 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 10907502)
Caught Ironclad on Netflix. Wasn't a worldbeater, but worth a watch if you're into people getting hacked the **** up.

Annnnd Kate Mara is hot. She didn't act worth a damn in this one and her English accent is horrid, but she's HOT.

Catch it if you have a few minutes.

Ironclad RULES, its been about a year and a half since I watched it, but when the hero is on the castle catwalk and cleaves the guy literally in two with his broadsword? hahaaa that was well worth my $2 rental alone.

Buehler445 09-12-2014 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 10907504)
Ironclad RULES, its been about a year and a half since I watched it, but when the hero is on the castle catwalk and cleaves the guy literally in two with his broadsword? hahaaa that was well worth my $2 rental alone.

Yeah, there were some pretty bad ass deaths in it. They didn't spare the gore.

That and Charles Dance is in it. After GOT, I've decided whatever he is in is worth a look.

Easy 6 09-12-2014 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 10907513)
Yeah, there were some pretty bad ass deaths in it. They didn't spare the gore.

That and Charles Dance is in it. After GOT, I've decided whatever he is in is worth a look.

Leave it to some English actors and locations to make a great swords and sandals flic.

An underrated movie no doubt.

Who does Charles Dance play in GOT?

Buehler445 09-12-2014 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 10907517)
Leave it to some English actors and locations to make a great swords and sandals flic.

An underrated movie no doubt.

Who does Charles Dance play in GOT?

Old man Lannister. Tywinn (sp?)

Easy 6 09-13-2014 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 10907519)
Old man Lannister. Tywinn (sp?)

Oh wow, I don't remember him being in that, no wonder I recall that movie fondly.

On a side note, I discovered late last sunday night that I had free HBO, they listed the whole damn season 4 GOT series as available.

I licked my damn chops and caught episode one, Two Swords, planning on a veeery late night marathon. Finish that episode, go back into On Demand... and it was no longer on the menu at all. It was all just apparently a big tease to say "see what you're missing".

Those bastards, they had all 14 episodes listed... watched one then POOF :#

Buehler445 09-13-2014 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 10907533)
Oh wow, I don't remember him being in that, no wonder I recall that movie fondly.

On a side note, I discovered late last sunday night that I had free HBO, they listed the whole damn season 4 GOT series as available.

I licked my damn chops and caught episode one, Two Swords, planning on a veeery late night marathon. Finish that episode, go back into On Demand... and it was no longer on the menu at all. It was all just apparently a big tease to say "see what you're missing".

Those bastards, they had all 14 episodes listed... watched one then POOF :#

I think Amazon got all the HBO shows on Prime.

If nothing else GOT is worth owning in BluRay:)

Pepe Silvia 09-13-2014 12:24 AM

If anyone here ever watches those B Horror films on Netflix you should check out You're Next. The movie had a really decent twist, only watch if you can handle some gore.

Buehler445 09-13-2014 10:39 AM

I caught Jobs finally.

It was decent enough. Kutcher did a respectable job. He didn't get the mannerisms well enough to say he killed it. Maybe it is a tough job because he was on media so much.

It's probably because I'm a business junkie, but it seemed to me they painted him more as a misunderstood artist than the astute business man he was.

Mennonite 09-13-2014 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 10897611)
Really?

I just did.

SPOILERS

I thought the idea was interesting, but the ending could have been a bit better. I think the ending would have had more impact, if Em's relationship with Kevin had been irrevocably destroyed in the last reality that she was in before she made her decision to walk into the darkness/roulette wheel to set things right. That would make her decision to attack (murder?) herself in the final reality much more believable.

So did none of the freaky comet related events happen in the "final" reality?

I know she was the leading character, but the movie was about the entire group. It would have been interesting to see an ending that involved all of the characters in some way.

An alternate ending: Have the party guests go through an entire night of paranoid hell fighting their doppelgangers and amongst themselves. Have all of their friendships and relationships be torn asunder by the pressure and through the revelations of buried secrets. Long time friends and lovers are now strangers and possible enemies. Have them realize the truth about the "roulette wheel" and have each of them leave the house to find "happier" realities where they didn't **** up their lives. Basically, they would become the very doppelgangers they had been fighting to keep out of the house the entire night.

Have you seen Los cronocrímenes (2007)? If you liked "Coherence" i think you will enjoy that one too.

KCUnited 09-13-2014 02:43 PM

Ugh, just saw No Good Deed with Stringer Bell. I didn't know Tyler Perry made thrillers. Seriously though, the story and acting were lol bad. Thumbs down.

Rausch 09-13-2014 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mennonite (Post 10908213)
Have you seen Los cronocrímenes (2007)? If you liked "Coherence" i think you will enjoy that one too. [/B]

Oh yeah. Great mind****.

The dialogue is down to a minimum so for large parts of the movie it really doesn't matter that it's subtitled.

ragedogg69 09-13-2014 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 10908223)
Ugh, just saw No Good Deed with Stringer Bell. I didn't know Tyler Perry made thrillers. Seriously though, the story and acting were lol bad. Thumbs down.

Yeah, no surprise. September release.

SAUTO 09-13-2014 05:55 PM

Quote:

I did based on your recommendation. I had it figured out at one point and started to feel meh, then it surprised me. Good movie!

Yeah I liked it too
Posted via Mobile Device

BigMeatballDave 09-14-2014 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 10907878)
I caught Jobs finally.

It was decent enough. Kutcher did a respectable job. He didn't get the mannerisms well enough to say he killed it. Maybe it is a tough job because he was on media so much.

It's probably because I'm a business junkie, but it seemed to me they painted him more as a misunderstood artist than the astute business man he was.

Astute?

Could have just as easily gone with ****ing Asshole. LOL

Rausch 09-14-2014 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 10907878)
I caught Jobs finally.

I thought Pirates of Silicon Valley was much better.

Still captures Jobs but also the Jobs/Gates relationship without painting a good guy/bad guy...

Buehler445 09-14-2014 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 10909215)
I thought Pirates of Silicon Valley was much better.

Still captures Jobs but also the Jobs/Gates relationship without painting a good guy/bad guy...

I'll have to catch that. Thanks!

ragedogg69 09-14-2014 07:10 PM

Caught Godzilla, thought it could be better. It is a popcorn film that hid all the popcorn scenes away from you. It doesnt surprise me, the directors previous film was pretty much the same thing: hide the monsters.

unlurking 09-14-2014 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragedogg69 (Post 10893226)
Well I would like to thank everyone who absolutely shit all over A Million Ways to Die in the West. I went in with low expectations and was pleasantly surprised. It was MacFarlane humor, but that does not make me angry like a lot of people. Dare I say 4/5.

Just saw it myself. Very low expectations. I would say a 3/5, and probably only because I couldn't stop laughing at the ice block scene. Most of the good jokes were in the trailer, but I still enjoyed.

Rausch 09-14-2014 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 10909699)
I'll have to catch that. Thanks!

Check Amazon. I think I got it for $1.99 used...

Rausch 09-14-2014 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragedogg69 (Post 10914934)
Caught Godzilla, thought it could be better. It is a popcorn film that hid all the popcorn scenes away from you. It doesnt surprise me, the directors previous film was pretty much the same thing: hide the monsters.

It was supposed to be an homage to the original. He wanted it to be a good movie - not a popcorn movie.

If he achieved that is for you to decide but he wanted a serious tone...

unlurking 09-14-2014 09:36 PM

Since everybody's is all into GoT cast members, Plastic was a fun movie with Theon Greyjoy.

-King- 09-15-2014 02:15 PM

Watched CA:Winter Soldier. Good movie. You guys were right. Didn't feel like I missed anything major from the first movie.

Buehler445 09-15-2014 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 10917274)
Watched CA:Winter Soldier. Good movie. You guys were right. Didn't feel like I missed anything major from the first movie.

You should watch the first one. It's good.

Rausch 09-15-2014 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 10917462)
You should watch the first one. It's good.

It's ok.

Nowhere near as good as CA2...

ragedogg69 09-16-2014 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 10917650)
It's ok.

This is correct.

Also, just saw Neighbors or Bad Neighbors depending on your region. It was okay. Most of the characters were assholes to each other, so if that bothers you, you probably should skip this. I think I am officially tired of Rogan as a stoner character. The rest of the cast was quite good.

Fire Me Boy! 09-16-2014 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 10917650)
It's ok.

Apparently, the director cited Honest Trailers as the reason it's so good. He didn't want Honest Trailers to be able to pick apart the logic.

Quote:

Recently there was an Honest Trailer for Captain America: The Winter Soldier which basically said “the movie’s good.” Which I don’t think I’ve ever seen before. Were you flattered by this? Amused?

JOE RUSSO: Flattered and amused. What’s so funny is that I’m an avid honest trailer watcher. I love it, it cracks me up. So I think we talked about it in the commentary we used to sit in the room and go, “this is not going to end up in an honest trailer. This logic isn’t sound enough yet.” We literally tried to Honest Trailer proof the movie. Because what Honest Trailers really is, and I’ll say litmus test again, is “how sound is the logic in your film? How ridiculous are the buys that you’re asking the audience to make?” So we would just comb through the script over and over again and go, “how do we shore up this logic? How do we shore up this logic?” So it was a very helpful exercise for us.

ragedogg69 09-16-2014 12:01 PM

That is pretty cool. The Russo brothers come from Community where Dan Harmon teaches every screenwriter to look at all the bullshit that is in their script and throw it out; start over. Looks like that is exactly what they did for CA2.

Rausch 09-16-2014 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fried Meat Ball! (Post 10919764)
Apparently, the director cited Honest Trailers as the reason it's so good. He didn't want Honest Trailers to be able to pick apart the logic.

This isn't done enough based on the last two summer's of movies.

And watched Cheap Thrills the other day. Much better than I thought it would be. I figured it for a cheezy comedy but it was much more...very different.

By the end I was sure there'd be a supernatural spin, and one of the characters would be the actual Devil, there was so much...hell, just evil the last 20 minutes. Not for everyone but a (un?)pleasant surprise...

ragedogg69 09-17-2014 07:25 AM

Cheap Thrills is very well done. I love that closing shot.

Finally caught Dredd, it was a fun 90 minutes, hope the sequel gets funding.

Chef was another movie that surprised me. If you are a foodie, you will love it. If not, it is still a really well done movie.

Mennonite 09-17-2014 05:12 PM

Enemies Closer (2013)

I watched Universal Soldier: Regeneration (2009) and it was better than I thought it would be, so I gave this STV JCVD flick a shot. It wasn't very good.

JCVD has evolved into Cesar Romero:

http://i.imgur.com/8Ja4nWr.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/2rLAh6o.gif

Hammock Parties 09-17-2014 05:21 PM

Been watching the young indiana jones chronicles.

They aren't great, but if you like history they are ****ing awesome. The little kid Indy episodes are slightly annoying, but it's fun watching the dynamic with him and Henry Jones.

The series really picks up when Sean Patrick Flanery takes over as young adult Indy. ****ing awesome seeing him ride with Pancho Villa.

Each episode is an hour and a half, too. They're like mini-films. Really great stuff.

You can also see them laying the groundwork for executing some of the technology that was used in the Prequels. The CGI is very rough but it's clear what they are doing.

Pepe Silvia 09-17-2014 05:38 PM

When did Jean-Claude Van Damme start hitting the pipe? Jeez he's really lost it in his old age, first he's playing bongos in a go Daddy commercial now he's dropping acid and pretending he's Cesar Romero?

Baby Lee 09-17-2014 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PackerinMo (Post 10924052)
When did Jean-Claude Van Damme start hitting the pipe? Jeez he's really lost it in his old age, first he's playing bongos in a go Daddy commercial now he's dropping acid and pretending he's Cesar Romero?

I think he's just trying to develop, or show off, a sense of humor.

Anyone who can pull this off is at least somewhat sound of mind and body.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/7cbVFQP4y2U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

-King- 09-18-2014 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fried Meat Ball! (Post 10919764)

Eh. Still has some logic issues. For example, if they used the face transforming thing Natasha was wearing at the end, the whole movie would have been over in 5 minutes.