ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Cardinals ***Official 2023 STL Cardinals Thread *** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=348136)

DJ's left nut 06-13-2023 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 16980215)
3/24 with a club option for 2026.

Of course they did...

The guy is essentially Alex Bregman without the name cache and the Rays got him for middle reliever money through the rest of his useful years.

https://media1.giphy.com/media/uP781...=200w.gif&ct=g

They're just better at this than everyone else. And its just completely wasted on a shit fanbase.

BigRedChief 06-13-2023 05:19 PM

I don’t think Goldy and Arenado waive their Mo trade clauses unless they go to a perrinisl winner.

We got $50 million from Colorado. Give that money to help move them for young talent.

DJ's left nut 06-13-2023 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 16980273)
I don’t think Goldy and Arenado waive their Mo trade clauses unless they go to a perrinisl winner.

We got $50 million from Colorado. Give that money to help move them for young talent.

Why wouldn't they? What's appealing about staying in this organization?

If they leverage the NTC it's just an attempt to extract more money out of the deal. They have no vested interest in staying here.

DJ's left nut 06-13-2023 10:10 PM

{snicker}

25 baserunners tonight.

Just a damn fine ballclub, Mo. And great work, JLM - way to bring it from the first inning buddy.

Why would Paul Goldschmidt ever want to walk away from this...

BigRedChief 06-13-2023 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 16980567)
{snicker}

25 baserunners tonight.

Just a damn fine ballclub, Mo. And great work, JLM - way to bring it from the first inning buddy.

Why would Paul Goldschmidt ever want to walk away from this...

The comments from Mo and Ollie piss me off so so much. The arrogance. Platitudes. We are doing everything we can, it’s just not working.

Any business in America that’s failing or your responsibility in that business is failing and you tell your boss the BS they are telling us, you’d be fired. No if’s, and’s or but’s.

Marcellus 06-14-2023 08:54 AM

This is 2012 KC Chiefs level disfunction, burn it to the ground.

Derick Goold tweeted out that conversations he could hear from the press box were like nothing he has ever heard at Busch stadium in his career.

Problem is idiots are still showing up to the games.

DJ's left nut 06-14-2023 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 16980603)
The comments from Mo and Ollie piss me off so so much. The arrogance. Platitudes. We are doing everything we can, it’s just not working.

Any business in America that’s failing or your responsibility in that business is failing and you tell your boss the BS they are telling us, you’d be fired. No if’s, and’s or but’s.

It took a few years for the rest of the BFIB to catch up, but 'arrogant complacence' was my chief complaint about Mozeliak going back to about 2017. He's just so ****ing smug and so positive that he's got all the answers and is doing everything right.

The way those two obvious character flaws dovetail into one another isn't hard to see at all.

A ton of humility might fix some of his failings but the bottom line is I don't think he was EVER very good at this. He was a product of HoFers that Jocketty brought in and very good complementary talent that Luhnow found after that. Now that the pipeline has fully dried up and he has to stand on his own, he's failing. Every decision tied directly to him is a poor one.

He's just never been good at this. The emperor has no clothes.

DJ's left nut 06-14-2023 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 16980812)
This is 2012 KC Chiefs level disfunction, burn it to the ground.

Derick Goold tweeted out that conversations he could hear from the press box were like nothing he has ever heard at Busch stadium in his career.

Problem is idiots are still showing up to the games.

They're kinda not, though.

I mean, it's not Royals bad out there, but the tickets sold aren't close to the fans in attendance. And I can get free tickets to pretty much any game I want to go to from a handful of guys I know or have worked with in STL.

The natives aren't restless - they're finally getting genuinely pissed.

What annoys me to no end us how long it took them and the gaslighting they're doing now. All these !@#$ing guys acting like they weren't lambasting anyone that hasn't been happy with the direction of the team for nearly a decade.

YOU fellas made this possible. Take a bow.

Ocotillo 06-14-2023 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 16980179)
I've been wrong on profiles like his before - I'm always down on guys like that. Elly De La Cruz is making me look like an absolute reerun at the moment, for instance (though his approach figures were better). But far more often than not, guys like that don't translate against big league pitching.

Elly De La Cruz is an outlier prospect because he's the most elite athlete in pro baseball. Ridiculous quick twitch movements. He basically hits the ball harder and runs faster than anybody in the majors.

His strikeout rate is still worrisome and he might not match the hype, but he's the one guy you'd take a chance on with his swing-and-miss red flag. Part of it too is he's a tall guy with a large strike zone like O'Neil Cruz.

George Liquor 06-14-2023 11:31 AM

There's gotta be no way Oli survives this weekend, right?

DJ's left nut 06-14-2023 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BDj23 (Post 16981063)
There's gotta be no way Oli survives this weekend, right?

The bar is just so damn low right now.

If the Cardinals manage to win 2 of their next 4 they'll be 'heating up' and he'll get through the ASB.

It's impossible to overstate how staid this organization has become. They're just completely unwilling to make any necessary changes.

It took 3 years of Matheny pissing on the rugs at Busch for them to finally can him. It was just so obvious to anyone that wasn't a drooling idiot (y'know, Matheny) that he couldn't do the job. Yet...no changes. Because they'd just keep moving the goalposts as needed to ensure he made the grade.

They'll keep doing it with Marmol as well.

The only snap decision this franchise has ever made was with the genuinely good manager they fired for stepping out of line after 20 years in the organization.

But if you suck the right dick and put the right amount of sugar in the coffee, you're ****ing bulletproof.

Rams Fan 06-14-2023 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 16981075)
The bar is just so damn low right now.

If the Cardinals manage to win 2 of their next 4 they'll be 'heating up' and he'll get through the ASB.

It's impossible to overstate how staid this organization has become. They're just completely unwilling to make any necessary changes.

It took 3 years of Matheny pissing on the rugs at Busch for them to finally can him. It was just so obvious to anyone that wasn't a drooling idiot (y'know, Matheny) that he couldn't do the job. Yet...no changes. Because they'd just keep moving the goalposts as needed to ensure he made the grade.

They'll keep doing it with Marmol as well.

The only snap decision this franchise has ever made was with the genuinely good manager they fired for stepping out of line after 20 years in the organization.

But if you suck the right dick and put the right amount of sugar in the coffee, you're ****ing bulletproof.

I don't think Shildt should've been fired, but he was wrong about Jeff Albert.

And I think Matheny being fired was rasher than Shildt's firing. He should've been fired before 2018, but when he was fired was more over-reactionary.

My issue with Marmol, similar to Matheny, is I don't think he's a good leader/communicator (we could bitch about his in-game decision making but the hand he's been dealt pitching wise is a bunch of chicken shit). The complete alienation of Contreras(some of that's also on the FO) and O'Neil is so stupid.

ChiefsCountry 06-14-2023 01:39 PM

Just blew another one in the bottom of the ninth, with 2 outs and 2 strikes.

raybec 4 06-14-2023 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rams Fan (Post 16981171)
I don't think Shildt should've been fired, but he was wrong about Jeff Albert.

And I think Matheny being fired was rasher than Shildt's firing. He should've been fired before 2018, but when he was fired was more over-reactionary.

My issue with Marmol, similar to Matheny, is I don't think he's a good leader/communicator (we could bitch about his in-game decision making but the hand he's been dealt pitching wise is a bunch of chicken shit). The complete alienation of Contreras(some of that's also on the FO) and O'Neil is so stupid.

I'm not following your logic. Matheny should have been fired sooner, but after continuing to under perform for 93 more games they over reacted?

Rams Fan 06-14-2023 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raybec 4 (Post 16981292)
I'm not following your logic. Matheny should have been fired sooner, but after continuing to under perform for 93 more games they over reacted?

In 2018, they called up a shit ton of rookie/young SP- if you recall, Ponce De Leon and Hudson had consecutive starts of 7+ innings where they held the opposition to no hits in June/July as a last-ditch effort and Matheny fell on the sword for rotation/BP shortcomings regarding performance.

100% should have been fired, but the justification for why he was fired wasn't the right one.

George Liquor 06-14-2023 01:54 PM

Nice to see they're letting Matz blow games in the 9th inning now instead of the 1st

DJ's left nut 06-14-2023 02:42 PM

BAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!

DJ's left nut 06-14-2023 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rams Fan (Post 16981306)
In 2018, they called up a shit ton of rookie/young SP- if you recall, Ponce De Leon and Hudson had consecutive starts of 7+ innings where they held the opposition to no hits in June/July as a last-ditch effort and Matheny fell on the sword for rotation/BP shortcomings regarding performance.

100% should have been fired, but the justification for why he was fired wasn't the right one.

Shildt took a team that got 84 starts from guys who never threw another major league pitch to the playoffs and put together a franchise record winning streak.

Good managers get their guys to play, especially when they have a solid core.

Matheny couldn't have done that in a million years. Saying "Well hey, he had a tough gig so he shouldn't have been fired" doesn't wash - lots of managers have tough gigs and their team doesn't quit on them like Matheny's did. And now Marmol's has.

Shildt ALWAYS had his guys fired up to play ball. He was hired by Jocketty and nurtured by LaRussa. He was a guy who knew how to run a ballclub. Matheny was just too ****ing stupid to absorb any information during his apprenticeship in STL and Marmol cut his teeth in an organization that had already lost its way - Shildt simply kept it afloat through sheer competence.

Ask Kevin Cash if he feels bad for any of the hurdles faced by Matheny - who inherited a WS champion and drove it into a mountain, or Marmol - who simply never deserved this kind of shot but was still given the keys to a crown jewel franchise.

I suspect he does not.

Marcellus 06-14-2023 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 16981281)

I've never in my life watched a team blow so many games by giving up 2 strike home runs and doubles over and over and over. Its hard to fathom it being this consistent if they were TRYING to do it.

DJ's left nut 06-14-2023 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 16981440)
I've never in my life watched a team blow so many games by giving up 2 strike home runs and doubles over and over and over. Its hard to fathom it being this consistent if they were TRYING to do it.

You could convince me that Gio was doing precisely that.

94 mph middle/middle with 2 strikes is...not advised.

And it was WALLOPED. I mean no doubt whatsoever. I had it recorded so i went and watched it when I heard and Chip was just apoplectic.

You know he's sitting there asking himself why he left Atlanta for this...

Marcellus 06-14-2023 03:13 PM

You think maybe the STL media is starting to do their job with stuff like this-

Quote:

Sometimes the best thing a searching baseball team can find is a scuffle.

The Cardinals got their chance against the Giants.

They did not fight. They fizzled.

A Cardinals season that has reached new lows at a rapid rate touched a previously untapped depth Tuesday night at Busch Stadium.

Before an announced crowd of 40,917 the Cardinals got punked by the Giants in an 11-3 loss that became their 41st defeat in 68 games and their 20th in 33 games played here at home.

Jack Flaherty, the starting pitcher chairman Bill Dewitt Jr. said was the reason he did not think the team needed a big starter addition this past offseason, started a benches-clearing, bullpen-emptying standoff with the Giants after the top half of the fourth inning, because San Francisco leadoff man LaMonte Wade Jr. had been dancing around on second base, pretending he wanted to steal after hitting a double.

But nothing happened. Just bluster started by Flaherty calling Wade a series of curse words, according to Wade and verified by video. All talk, no punch. Not even a good push. And that’s the 2023 Cardinals in a nutshell, isn't it?

Flaherty wasn’t even around to face Wade when Wade returned to the plate in the fifth inning. Flaherty had been lifted after allowing six earned runs on 10 hits in 4.1 innings.

Here’s how the Giants reacted to Flaherty’s challenge of Wade: Blake Sabol singled. Michael Conforto singled. Casey Schmitt singled. Patrick Bailey singled. The Giants were up three runs by the time Flaherty was lifted for reliever Genesis Cabrera.

Here's how the Cardinals reacted to Flaherty's challenge of Wade: A combination of cricket sounds, and some snores.

Cabrera had sprinted from the bullpen into the trash-talking action Flaherty’s shouting match with Wade. He and former Cardinals reliever John Brebbia wound up laughing and half-hugging in the infield. Cabrera offered about the same amount of threat to the Giants when it was his turn on the mound. After bunting in a run against him in the fifth, the Giants crushed back-to-back, two-out home runs against him in the sixth. I wonder if Brebbia even recognized the old team he used to call his own.

Then you get to this complete bullshit excuse a few paragraphs later. Seriously?

Quote:

Even Cardinals manager Oliver Marmol has stopped publicly challenging his players. His signature bluntness is now dulled down. I’m sure he will be shredded for his positive postgame comments Tuesday. Hard to blame him for taking that route. He got crushed for challenging Tyler O’Neill to run harder at the season’s start. He took arrows for taking on something players on the team should have handled in the clubhouse but did not, leaving it to him to address. O’Neill is back to being hurt, always seemingly a week or so away from being ready to start getting ready, and Marmol is giving people the happy talk they wanted. Now he will get criticized for that, too.

DJ's left nut 06-14-2023 03:19 PM

Surely they aren't missing the point that badly.

You do not single guys out. You just don't do it.

You can absolutely rip 'us' or even 'the team' if you feel so inclined. But you don't name a single guy - AFTER you had a conversation with him in which he left the conversation feeling it was resolved - and call him out. You don't then turn around 3 weeks later and rip ANOTHER guy and then get upper management to back your play.

There's a hell of a large distinction between being honest about the team vs. being vindictive with a particular player.

I refuse to believe anyone is that dumb.

ChiefsCountry 06-14-2023 03:23 PM

Mo just needs to trade Masyn Winn for Scott Barlow and the bullpen problems are solved. ;)

DJ's left nut 06-14-2023 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 16981493)
Mo just needs to trade Masyn Winn for Scott Barlow and the bullpen problems are solved. ;)

Honestly - and this is how shitty Mozeliak is at his job - if you offered Barlow for Burleson, he'd probably take it.

And don't get me wrong, Burleson is no sort of star in the making. And he shouldn't even own a glove. But he can hit. I'm 100% convinced that if you gave him 400 ABs he'd be a genuine offensive presence. He's a guy that can hit 5/6 in the order for a good lineup, IMO.

And Mozeliak, in desperation, will move guys like him right now to try to save his ass.

BigRedChief 06-14-2023 05:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 16981281)

The crowd booed them after the last out. This is a great example of how our season is going. Pic taken after yesterdays game.

raybec 4 06-14-2023 05:47 PM

5 in a row fellas!! We're on a heater!

BigRedChief 06-14-2023 07:08 PM

The 70’s Cardinal teams pissed me off. They lacked leadership, player talent and an involved owner. Starting to look too damn similar.

We have some talent on this years team. Not enough but a helluva lot more than those 70’s teams.

BigRedChief 06-14-2023 07:17 PM

I’ve not read much online. Those that are local or track this disaster are the national writers tearing up the Cardinals?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">As mediocre as the Mets and Padres have been this season, no team comes close to the St. Louis Cardinals in terms of downright disappointment. They are a disaster. Five straight losses. A 27-42 record -- the worst in the National League, better than only Oakland and Kansas City.</p>&mdash; Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) <a href="https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1669074400220532738?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 14, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Megatron96 06-15-2023 01:27 PM

This looks exactly how the STL Blues began the 2019 season, before they turned into the around and won the Stanley Cup.

jd1020 06-15-2023 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megatron96 (Post 16982827)
This looks exactly how the STL Blues began the 2019 season, before they turned into the around and won the Stanley Cup.

Isnt the NHL season about as many games as the Cardinals have played so far?

Cardinals have been bad all year and guys that were putting up MVP numbers like Gorman are starting to remember they dont actually hit for average and strike out 30%+ of the time.

Megatron96 06-15-2023 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 16982862)
Isnt the NHL season about as many games as the Cardinals have played so far?

Cardinals have been bad all year and guys that were putting up MVP numbers like Gorman are starting to remember they dont actually hit for average and strike out 30%+ of the time.

Lol, so you’re saying that there’s still a chance.

DJ's left nut 06-15-2023 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megatron96 (Post 16982827)

The Blues changed goalies and for the 2nd half of the season got Vezina trophy caliber play from Binner to drag the team out of the hole.

Something tells me that we're not gonna find a CY caliber pitcher. Let along a CY caliber pitcher who pitches 4 games out of 5.

There's not really a comparison here.

I wonder how far back the Miracle Mets were in June?

Megatron96 06-15-2023 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 16982920)
The Blues changed goalies and for the 2nd half of the season got Vezina trophy caliber play from Binner to drag the team out of the hole.

Something tells me that we're not gonna find a CY caliber pitcher. Let along a CY caliber pitcher who pitches 4 games out of 5.

Lol, DJ, you're not doing a very good job of selling me on the idea that I should watch the Cards this season.

raybec 4 06-15-2023 03:48 PM

Quote:

If only Oli were Gil Hodges and anyone in the rotation could pitch like Seaver, McGraw or Ryan.

DJ's left nut 06-15-2023 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megatron96 (Post 16983019)
Lol, DJ, you're not doing a very good job of selling me on the idea that I should watch the Cards this season.

Money's the only thing this ownership group cares about. Hit 'em in the wallet and they may actually give a shit.

I'm trying to convince as many as possible that they SHOULDN'T be watching this shit-show of an organization.

BigRedChief 06-18-2023 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 16983054)
Money's the only thing this ownership group cares about. Hit 'em in the wallet and they may actually give a shit.

I'm trying to convince as many as possible that they SHOULDN'T be watching this shit-show of an organization.

I dont think not watching games is a good option. They already have the guaranteed money from TV. Maybe in 3-4 years at contractual renewal time, maybe it moves the needle.

Butts in the seats is the motivator for change. A Half empty stadium for home games will move the needle. Hits Dewitt where he seems to care the most, in the wallet.

'Hamas' Jenkins 06-18-2023 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 16985710)
I dont think not watching games is a good option. They already have the guaranteed money from TV. Maybe in 3-4 years at contractual renewal time, maybe it moves the needle.

Butts in the seats is the motivator for change. A Half empty stadium for home games will move the needle. Hits Dewitt where he seems to care the most, in the wallet.

They know their viewership numbers, though. Even if it doesn't hurt them now, they know it lowers their leverage when the next TV deal comes around.

George Liquor 06-18-2023 10:51 AM

Ive had **** all to do the last 4 days and i still cant bring myself to watch them anymore.

BigRedChief 06-18-2023 06:26 PM

Something positive. May be the first positive post this year in here.

Jordan Walker since being recalled:

.327/.407/.558 (.965 OPS) 3 HR 7 RBI

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">With his father in the crowd, Jordan Walker homers and extends his hitting streak to 11 games.<br><br>There is a short list of <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/stlcards?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#stlcards</a> who have multiple 10+ game hitting streaks in the same season at the age of 21 or younger. They are:<br><br>Rogers Hornsby<br>Albert Pujols<br>Jordan Walker</p>&mdash; Derrick Goold (@dgoold) <a href="https://twitter.com/dgoold/status/1670508060270362631?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 18, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

MarkDavis'Haircut 06-18-2023 08:37 PM

Fire Derek Shelton

BigRedChief 06-18-2023 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkDavis'Haircut (Post 16986355)
Fire Derek Shelton

I don’t know who that is but if he is making personnel decisions, works in the front office, agreed, fire his ass. All of them.

jd1020 06-19-2023 06:27 AM

Quote:

At this point, the Cardinals would have to finish the year with a better win percentage than 2022 just to get to .500. Even with how terrible this division is, the winner is still going to be in the upper 80's and the wildcard is even further out of reach.

BigRedChief 06-19-2023 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 16986500)
At this point, the Cardinals would have to finish the year with a better win percentage than 2022 just to get to .500. Even with how terrible this division is, the winner is still going to be in the upper 80's and the wildcard is even further out of reach.

The absolute thing that can't happen. Miss the playoffs or the division by less than 5 games and nothing changes. They need to sell at the tradeline. Quit using the outdated pitch to contact approach.

Goldy and Arenado are our best players. But, Goldy only has one year and I'd bet Mo lied to Arenado about improving the club. We can get some starting pitching for next year or the next. We have plenty of players to plug in at 1st and 3rd. They wont be as good but its a trade off.

But, unless Mo's gone, its just be more of the same.

raybec 4 06-19-2023 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 16985710)

You're just trying to justify watching the games, which is fine. They know how many people watch, they know what the next deal looks like if people stop watching. it's important.

ChiefsCountry 06-24-2023 11:23 AM

This London game is kind of cool. Olympic Stadium how they move the seats around is crazy to fit a baseball field in a track/soccer stadium.

ChiefsCountry 06-24-2023 11:55 AM

The turf they got in London with the bounces reminds me of old days at Busch and Kauffman.

Pasta Little Brioni 06-24-2023 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raybec 4 (Post 16983033)
If only Oli were Gil Hodges and anyone in the rotation could pitch like Seaver, McGraw or Ryan.

Don't forget Jerry Koosman

Megatron96 06-24-2023 03:29 PM

I realize that I'm allowing my emotions get to me at this point, but . . .

BURN IT DOWN TO THE GROUND AND START OVER.

Pasta Little Brioni 06-24-2023 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megatron96 (Post 16993373)
I realize that I'm allowing my emotions get to me at this point, but . . .

BURN IT DOWN TO THE GROUND AND START OVER.

This really is the best case scenerio...just keep losing

VAChief 06-24-2023 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasta Little Brother (Post 16993441)
This really is the best case scenerio...just keep losing

Whatever it takes to get Mo out of there. Otherwise nothing else matters.

Pasta Little Brioni 06-24-2023 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VAChief (Post 16993499)
Whatever it takes to get Mo out of there. Otherwise nothing else matters.

People disagreed with me for awhile...whoops

BigRedChief 06-24-2023 08:49 PM

**** Mo. we need to move Hicks and Flaherty. We have a 1.5 years of Goldy that other teams may value and situation that he to might like too.

At London Stadium, Mozeliak repeated that he does not think the Cardinals can “tank,” can pull out the parachute of a season and find a safe landing in future prospects.

“I would hope that Cardinals are not allowed to rebuild,” he said. “Amazing fan base. We know we’re not where we want to be. We know we have to make some changes. We’ll try.”

kcpasco 06-24-2023 10:39 PM

This Cards team is ass. I’m not even mad. This is a good thing if changes happen.

jd1020 06-25-2023 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 16993580)
**** Mo. we need to move Hicks and Flaherty. We have a 1.5 years of Goldy that other teams may value and situation that he to might like too.

At London Stadium, Mozeliak repeated that he does not think the Cardinals can “tank,” can pull out the parachute of a season and find a safe landing in future prospects.

“I would hope that Cardinals are not allowed to rebuild,” he said. “Amazing fan base. We know we’re not where we want to be. We know we have to make some changes. We’ll try.”

What exactly are you expecting to get for Flaherty? The guy has a 5 ERA, walking 5 batters per 9, and all of his advanced numbers say he's pitching about as expected. There's nothing you can point to that suggests he should be better and that there is hope for the future. And to top it all off he just got scratched from his start against the Cubs because of his hip

You'll be fortunate to get a lottery ticket for the 26th spot for Flaherty.

Hicks is also not going to bring shit back. He's another rental and a reliever at that. But he's not Aroldis Chapman. Hicks just throws hard. He has no idea how to actually pitch.

DJ's left nut 06-25-2023 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 16993807)
What exactly are you expecting to get for Flaherty? The guy has a 5 ERA, walking 5 batters per 9, and all of his advanced numbers say he's pitching about as expected. There's nothing you can point to that suggests he should be better and that there is hope for the future. And to top it all off he just got scratched from his start against the Cubs because of his hip

You'll be fortunate to get a lottery ticket for the 26th spot for Flaherty.

Hicks is also not going to bring shit back. He's another rental and a reliever at that. But he's not Aroldis Chapman. Hicks just throws hard. He has no idea how to actually pitch.

Gonna guess you haven't watched him much of late.

Still a little erratic, yes, but he has a 4-seamer now that he uses to set up the sinker. So teams that could just cheat on the sinker now have to consider the possibility that it ain't gonna run armside and at 103, just that little bit of extra thought is damn tough to deal with.

No question that he still lives or dies with walks and if he heads out there and walks the leadoff man, it's gonna be a bit bumpy. But he's genuinely missing bats now and setting guys up. The 4-seamer has unlocked some stuff and it allowing his velocity and natural movement to actually make things happen out there.

29 Ks to 22 baserunners and 3 ER in 19 IP in May/June is a pretty damn good return to form. Now he's gonna get shellacked today since I said something, but the version of Hicks that we get about 4 times out of 5 these days is a genuine monster.

Honestly - I wouldn't trade him. He's 26 and finally has a plan out there. That's someone you should try to extend as you really don't have anyone to replace him.

DJ's left nut 06-25-2023 11:15 AM

That Hoerner AB was a 'that's what speed do' AB.

Hicks wasn't fooling him and wasn't even trying to. Hoerner just couldn't get around on it.

And that 88 mph slider at the knees had Suzuki bailing into the dugout but the ump blew the call.

Hicks is an asset. If the price is right you can trade anyone. But that's not someone you dump, IMO. That's truly special arm talent.

Edit: And THERE ya go, JD - that's what I'm talking about. Suzuki cheated on heat, was looking to fight off a sinker and it was a 4-seamer that simply didn't run so Suzuki swung right through it. That's exactly what I'm talking about.

Yeah, he gave up a double, but every other AB that inning was purely defensive. And after he mixed the slider in there, he finished it with that 4-seamer that's completely changed how he can pitch.

jd1020 06-25-2023 12:08 PM

He put a 100 mph fastball center center. That's nothing to do with pitching. That's just heat. He still sits on a 4 ERA.

This is like a month into the season saying Nolan Gorman just needed a year to figure things out and settle in and now he has arrived.

DJ's left nut 06-25-2023 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 16993917)
He put a 100 mph fastball center center. That's nothing to do with pitching. That's just heat. He still sits on a 4 ERA.

This is like a month into the season saying Nolan Gorman just needed a year to figure things out and settle in and now he has arrived.

Again, it's a pitch he's added to his arsenal. It was a centered 4 seamer when the batter was swinging sinker. Saying that's 'just heat' is simply refusing to give credit where it's due. He completely owned Suzuki in that at bat at it was pitch sequencing as much as anything. Suzuki was trying to protect as he has been the whole time, trying to get a piece of a sinker and when the ball didn't dice he swing through it.

It was EXACTLY what I said he was doing now and has been doing since May.

Marcellus 06-25-2023 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 16994038)
Again, it's a pitch he's added to his arsenal. It was a centered 4 seamer when the batter was swinging sinker. Saying that's 'just heat' is simply refusing to give credit where it's due. He completely owned Suzuki in that at bat at it was pitch sequencing as much as anything. Suzuki was trying to protect as he has been the whole time, trying to get a piece of a sinker and when the ball didn't dice he swing through it.

It was EXACTLY what I said he was doing now and has been doing since May.

JD is just bitter his Cubs blew an easy shot to sweep the Cards in London after going up 4-0 in the 1st.

The announcers were going on like this is the 1906 Cubs.

jd1020 06-25-2023 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 16994051)
JD is just bitter his Cubs blew an easy shot to sweep the Cards in London after going up 4-0 in the 1st.

I'm not bitter about the Cubs losing. If anything, I want the Cubs to lose as many games as possible before the deadline because the owner is sounding like Mozeliak and acting like it's a good time to buy instead of selling the guys with actual value.

jd1020 06-25-2023 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 16994051)

I'm not bitter about the Cubs losing. If anything, I want the Cubs to lose as many games as possible before the deadline because the owner is sounding like Mozeliak and acting like it's a good time to buy instead of selling the guys with actual value.

When your PoBO is out there giving 2 year deals to Mancini's and Barnhart's, you should probably think about finding a new PoBO before buying.

VAChief 06-26-2023 09:48 AM

Hurston Waldrep from Florida listed as possible 1st round pick for us. Of course MO will probably go for some more soft tossing lefties who at best might make a middle reliever some day.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/...ohhspmic8ifw3h

raybec 4 06-26-2023 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VAChief (Post 16994784)
Hurston Waldrep from Florida listed as possible 1st round pick for us. Of course MO will probably go for some more soft tossing lefties who at best might make a middle reliever some day.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/...ohhspmic8ifw3h

Mo will outsmart everyone and draft a 2b with no power and shitty range.

DJ's left nut 06-26-2023 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raybec 4 (Post 16994859)
Mo will outsmart everyone and draft a 2b with no power and shitty range.

I'm thinking another DH without a defensive position who either can't hit for power or can't make consistent contact.

BigRedChief 06-26-2023 08:45 PM

The fan base turned on Waino over the weekend. Initially it was his blown game on Saturday then it turned to we didn’t get any starting pitching because you didn’t retire. Accused him of being selfish to chase 200 wins. Deactivated his twitter.

Pablo 06-27-2023 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 16995586)
The fan base turned on Waino over the weekend. Initially it was his blown game on Saturday then it turned to we didn’t get any starting pitching because you didn’t retire. Accused him of being selfish to chase 200 wins. Deactivated his twitter.

BFIB

Pasta Little Brioni 06-27-2023 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 16995819)
BFIB

They're idiots and i thouroughly have enjoyed the boos this season....but enjoy that empty K!

George Liquor 06-27-2023 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 16995586)

Waino should have retired. But is ANYONE going to turn down 17 million dollars? Thats on Mozo, Girsh and Dewitt not Adam. He has been nothing but a wonderful representative his entire career.

BigRedChief 06-27-2023 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BDj23 (Post 16996333)
Waino should have retired. But is ANYONE going to turn down 17 million dollars? Thats on Mozo, Girsh and Dewitt not Adam. He has been nothing but a wonderful representative his entire career.

yep, Waino ain’t the core problem. It’s the front office and Dewitt. Card fans need to direct their anger at the right people.

they could have said thanks but no thanks at market value. You want to chase 200 wins? We will pay $10 million and put the rest towards paying for another FA pitcher. . Where would he have went?

I have loved and will always love Waino since 2006 when he threw that curve to Beltran. I also got to see him in person on the mound as we win a WS. Seeing that live with my son…..lifetime memory.

'Hamas' Jenkins 06-29-2023 09:17 AM

https://twitter.com/johnrabe/status/...416599553?s=20

Hilarious.

raybec 4 06-29-2023 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 16999153)

Olli's unearned confidence is a real problem. He is a terrible in game manager and an even worse talent evaluator.

BigRedChief 06-29-2023 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 16999153)

For those who dont want to click on the link

Dunno who it was, but a someone gets a gold star.

Marmol (annoyed at being asked if he considered pulling Gio before the 2nd HR) “Yeah, if you’d told me the second homer was coming, I’d have taken him out.”

Reporter: “Well it’s happened three times this year now.”

George Liquor 06-29-2023 06:54 PM

Sorry Waino, but it's time to hang it up buddy.

DJ's left nut 06-29-2023 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raybec 4 (Post 16999547)
Olli's unearned confidence is a real problem. He is a terrible in game manager and an even worse talent evaluator.

Comes from the top.

This entire organization is so ****ing smug and unlikeable.

VAChief 06-30-2023 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 17000487)
Comes from the top.

This entire organization is so ****ing smug and unlikeable.

If it was New York or Philly there would be “F##k you Mo” chants ringing throughout the stadium until changes were made.

Ocotillo 06-30-2023 11:36 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Final line score for Max Rajcic’s High-A debut:<br><br>6.2 IP<br>3 H<br>2 R<br>2 BB<br>6 SO <br><br>(but let’s not ignore that he carried a no-no into the T7. pretty dang impressive.) <a href="https://t.co/9HyrzDWagD">pic.twitter.com/9HyrzDWagD</a></p>&mdash; Peoria Chiefs (@peoriachiefs) <a href="https://twitter.com/peoriachiefs/status/1674949748770439168?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 1, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Ocotillo 07-02-2023 04:39 AM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Cardinals top pitching prospect Tink Hence has been promoted to Double-A Springfield, per a source. Hence, who was drafted in 2020, ranks No. 63 overall on <a href="https://twitter.com/TheAthleticMLB?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@TheAthleticMLB</a>’s Keith Law’s 2023 prospect rankings. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/STLCards?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#STLCards</a></p>&mdash; Katie Woo (@katiejwoo) <a href="https://twitter.com/katiejwoo/status/1675159360413003776?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 1, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Pasta Little Brioni 07-02-2023 05:36 AM

And? Big deal

Jewish Rabbi 07-02-2023 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ocotillo (Post 17002992)
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Cardinals top pitching prospect Tink Hence has been promoted to Double-A Springfield, per a source. Hence, who was drafted in 2020, ranks No. 63 overall on <a href="https://twitter.com/TheAthleticMLB?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@TheAthleticMLB</a>’s Keith Law’s 2023 prospect rankings. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/STLCards?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#STLCards</a></p>&mdash; Katie Woo (@katiejwoo) <a href="https://twitter.com/katiejwoo/status/1675159360413003776?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 1, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Can't wait until he becomes "untouchable" in trade talks while someone Mo gives away as a throw in wins a Cy Young in 4 years.

Pasta Little Brioni 07-02-2023 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi (Post 17003032)
Can't wait until he becomes "untouchable" in trade talks while someone Mo gives away as a throw in wins a Cy Young in 4 years.

Exactly