Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room

Old 02-04-2018, 04:04 AM  
Starter

Intermittent Fasting

Anyone have any experience doing this? I plan to start on Monday.

I have researched it quite a bit and am willing to give it a try. I will probably do the 16:8 plan. Sixteen hours fasting, eight hour window to eat. My plan, and it will probably change, is to eat two meals totaling around 1600 calories between 11 AM-7PM. I plan on drinking a shit ton of water to help and possible supplement an occasional caffeine pill in the morning.
MrGiggity Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.MrGiggity Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.MrGiggity Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.MrGiggity Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.MrGiggity Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.MrGiggity Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.MrGiggity Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.MrGiggity Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.MrGiggity Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.MrGiggity Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.MrGiggity Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:50 AM   #121
Go Beavers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rausch View Post
Wrong.

It's a combo of insulin and the type of calories you eat (sugar? Carbs? Fat? Protein?)
Insulin is a red herring. You need to get out of the low carb echo chamber and look at the actual science. If you eat at a deficit, it doesn't matter, weight-wise, what you eat. You will lose weight. Low carb helps some people feel satiated, so they eat less and lose weight. Others do really well eating low fat, high carb. Google "Spud fit" for the guy that lost 120 pounds by eating nothing but plain potatoes for a year. Oh no, the insulinz!!!

The biggest key to losing weight is to find a diet you can stick with.

And the starvation makes you fatter thing is so much bullshit. No metabolic ward study has ever shown that effect. It comes from anecdotal stories by people lying about how much they really eat.
Frosty 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Frosty 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Frosty 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Frosty 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Frosty 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Frosty 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Frosty 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Frosty 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Frosty 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Frosty 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Frosty 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:36 PM   #122
Go Beavers!

BTW, I don't mean to be a dick about it (well, maybe a little) but I was involved in the low carb "scene" for years and years. In the beginning, when it was based on Atkins' writing, the whole idea was that low carb would keep you from being too hungry and overeating. Atkins claimed that high insulin could crash the blood sugar and make you really hungry. He said calories absolutely mattered and that if you weren't losing weight, you needed to cut back on cheese and nuts. He also thought that you lost extra calories by peeing out the ketones from being ketosis (which actually isn't true).

You also weren't supposed to stay on really low carb levels after the first two weeks. You added back carbs every week until you found a level you could still lose weight on (called climbing the carb ladder on Atkins).

The Gary Taubes came along and wrote "Good Calories, Bad Calories" and made the claim that high insulin trapped fat in the fat cells so people overeat because they are metabolically starving). Suddenly, in low carb circles, calories no longer mattered and it was all about insulin levels and keeping them as low as possible. That birthed keto where you even keep protein intake low because of the insulin. You even have people adding butter to their coffee and eating almost pure fat because of it.

The problem is that there is zero evidence of insulin trapping fat and Taubes was found to have misrepresented most of what his sources actually said. But by then, the idea that calories don't matter was firmly entrenched in low carb. If someone isn't losing weight, the advice is always cut carbs and protein as low as possible and "eat moar fat!!" which isn't helpful in the long run. You see over and over in other diet forums people that gained weight on keto and finally gave up. It's frustrating.
Frosty 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Frosty 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Frosty 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Frosty 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Frosty 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Frosty 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Frosty 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Frosty 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Frosty 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Frosty 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Frosty 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:51 AM   #123
MVP

Life is short, eat often.
SuperBowl4 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperBowl4 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperBowl4 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperBowl4 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperBowl4 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperBowl4 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperBowl4 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperBowl4 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperBowl4 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperBowl4 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperBowl4 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:30 AM   #124
Would an idiot do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
The Gary Taubes came along and wrote "Good Calories, Bad Calories" and made the claim that high insulin trapped fat in the fat cells so people overeat because they are metabolically starving). Suddenly, in low carb circles, calories no longer mattered and it was all about insulin levels and keeping them as low as possible. That birthed keto where you even keep protein intake low because of the insulin. You even have people adding butter to their coffee and eating almost pure fat because of it.

The problem is that there is zero evidence of insulin trapping fat and Taubes was found to have misrepresented most of what his sources actually said. But by then, the idea that calories don't matter was firmly entrenched in low carb. If someone isn't losing weight, the advice is always cut carbs and protein as low as possible and "eat moar fat!!" which isn't helpful in the long run. You see over and over in other diet forums people that gained weight on keto and finally gave up. It's frustrating.
Interesting... I've known people who have done keto, but don't pay attention to calories at all. Perhaps they don't care about the weight loss part of it, but one person in particular would talk about not losing weight while not tracking calories. Uh... yeah?

I'm a big fan of keto... far fewer cravings and found it pretty easy to lose the gut with a 500 calorie/day deficit. After that, it was about eliminating the really obvious carbs (not eating a Clif bar or two for breakfast or buying rice or pasta, etc.). And beer is carb free, right?
Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:49 AM   #125
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat View Post
Interesting... I've known people who have done keto, but don't pay attention to calories at all. Perhaps they don't care about the weight loss part of it, but one person in particular would talk about not losing weight while not tracking calories. Uh... yeah?

I'm a big fan of keto... far fewer cravings and found it pretty easy to lose the gut with a 500 calorie/day deficit. After that, it was about eliminating the really obvious carbs (not eating a Clif bar or two for breakfast or buying rice or pasta, etc.). And beer is carb free, right?
The wife and I are currently doing Keto, not really for weight loss but just to see how it goes with systemic health.

Thru a month I feel great. No energy spikes and lows but constant energy and it’s helped me add some muscle in the weight room I think.

But **** I miss carbs. One of the girls in my office made a gooseberry cobbler and I almost passed out
O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:10 PM   #126
Would an idiot do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.city View Post
The wife and I are currently doing Keto, not really for weight loss but just to see how it goes with systemic health.

Thru a month I feel great. No energy spikes and lows but constant energy and it’s helped me add some muscle in the weight room I think.

But **** I miss carbs. One of the girls in my office made a gooseberry cobbler and I almost passed out
I've been surprised with working out, only once or twice have I felt like I probably needed some carbs to burn for a workout... granted, I'm usually on the higher end around 40-45g/day, while I know some people aim for 20-25g/day.

I didn't cheat at all for the first few months I was on it and went through the same withdrawals, and it really paid off (I live alone, which makes it easier, but we even have a freakin' dessert potluck at work like once a month). These days I kick myself out every once in a while after cheating (or like during the holidays, where I just say **** it), but I've played around with it some so I can cheat a little without having to go through the few days of hunger to get back.
Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:20 PM   #127
MVP

I have read a lot of diet books but for 30lb or more and lifestyle, I think that Doctors Michael and Mary Dan Eades program is dead on. 20 plus years later their facts are still facts. He was preaching Paleo before paleo was a thing. Simple. If man changes it, you should eat it sparingly. Since you could find berries in the morning eat berries in the morning. get all the nutrients from the food, eat clean animals: eat the marrow, brain and tongue.

Oh, and he knows something about food on paper and real life as he owns a company that makes Sous Vide equipment and has owned restaurants too..He also likes Jamison's, that's a big one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
BTW, I don't mean to be a dick about it (well, maybe a little) but I was involved in the low carb "scene" for years and years. In the beginning, when it was based on Atkins' writing, the whole idea was that low carb would keep you from being too hungry and overeating. Atkins claimed that high insulin could crash the blood sugar and make you really hungry. He said calories absolutely mattered and that if you weren't losing weight, you needed to cut back on cheese and nuts. He also thought that you lost extra calories by peeing out the ketones from being ketosis (which actually isn't true).

You also weren't supposed to stay on really low carb levels after the first two weeks. You added back carbs every week until you found a level you could still lose weight on (called climbing the carb ladder on Atkins).

cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:37 PM   #128
In Search of a Life

Quote:
I've been surprised with working out, only once or twice have I felt like I probably needed some carbs to burn for a workout... granted, I'm usually on the higher end around 40-45g/day, while I know some people aim for 20-25g/day.

I didn't cheat at all for the first few months I was on it and went through the same withdrawals, and it really paid off (I live alone, which makes it easier, but we even have a freakin' dessert potluck at work like once a month). These days I kick myself out every once in a while after cheating (or like during the holidays, where I just say **** it), but I've played around with it some so I can cheat a little without having to go through the few days of hunger to get back.
Yeah, I haven't cheated yet but I do miss my sweets.
O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:37 PM   #129
Go Beavers!

My issue with keto is when protein and carbs are both kept really low. Even though you can mostly run on ketones, your brain still needs some glucose. Thyroid studies suggest that minimum level is around 50 grams a day. If you drop your carbs below that, you have to make up the difference through glyconeogenesis (converting protein to glucose). It takes roughly two grams of protein to make one gram of glucose. This means if you only eat 20 grams of carbs a day, it will take 60 grams of protein to make up the difference. If you don't also eat that much protein, then where does the glucose come from? Hint - your lean tissue.

Speaking of those thyroid studies, the studies show a consistent intake of under 50 g/day of carbs can (and probably will) lead to a depressed thyroid output, called Euthyroid Sick Syndrome.

My personal experience with it was doing a very low calorie keto diet for a year. Towards the end, I was cold all of the time, gained weight despite eating the same as when I was losing, chronic fatigue. My thyroid levels did not come back up when I added carbs back in and I have been on Levothyroxine for the last three years. It makes losing weight a bitch. I'm pretty pissed at myself for not considering that maybe doing a diet that mimics starvation might just have hormonal consequences.

People need to make their own decisions but it seems like a lot of people jump into keto with no idea what they're doing just because it's a hot diet right now.

One other thing to consider is that fat has almost zero nutrients in it so if that makes a big part of your diet, make sure you eat a lot of veggies to get some vitamins and minerals.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:41 PM   #130
In Search of a Life

Yeah, I'm technically not doing keto because I'm eating a lot of protein. But it sounds fun to say. lol.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:42 PM   #131
Go Beavers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper barrett View Post
I I think that Doctors Michael and Mary Dan Eades program is dead on. 20 plus years later their facts are still facts.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:21 PM   #132
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGiggity View Post
Congrats! Are you working out as well?
Thanks!

No. Not right now. I plan on starting to walk, and then jog in about a month when the weather warms up, and when the time "springs" forward. So it will be lighter at night when I get home form work.
Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
Old 02-22-2018, 03:33 PM   #133
He's Mahomie!

Quote:

Teach me how to count.
MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:33 AM   #134
Leto Atreides for Prez 2024

Would like to get some more information about fasting and what ways to go about it to reduce your triglyceride level. I've heard fasting can reduce TG's quite a bit. How long should I fast? How often? The thing is, I don't want to lose weight. I'm 5'11'' and 178 lbs. I'd rather not be even more slender. I work out about once a week. I'm in my early 30's.

Last year suddenly my triglycerides jumped 100 points to 243. I thought it was just because I was coming off of a Las Vegas bender when I got my blood test done. Nonetheless, in the last year, I changed my diet for the better, quite drastically. While I do eat out all the time, I almost never go to traditional fast food places (chipolte (only chicken & brown rice, nothing else), whole foods to go bowls, panda express (only teryiaki chicken & brown rice). And when I do eat out, I make huge variations to my meals so that they are clean. I've also at least tripled the amount of fiber I consume. The only soda I drink is 2 energy drinks a week and the rest of the time water or La Croix sparkling water. No soda, ever. With that all said, I got my triglycerides checked again and they rose yet again to 263. It seems like whatever I do with my diet seems to not matter at all.

For breakfast I usually eat a Perfect Bar https://perfectbar.com/ & drink a La Croix sparkling water with no artificial sweetners or sugar. I'll snack on some cashews sometimes when I'm on the couch.

For lunch I'll eat either grilled chicken & brown rice, teriyaki salmon & brown rice w/ veggies, grilled chicken wrap with avocado, romaine. I'll have a avocado, almond, smoothie from Tropical Cafe twice a week. I never eat cheese. I don't put sauce on anything except teryiaki salmon. My food is all bland.

For supper my girlfriend cooks me food twice a week, so that is the least healthiest food I eat during the week. But it's usually just something like grilled chicken and baked potato, grilled pork chop & rice, chicken noodle soup, or at worst some spaghetti.

I'd say on avg I drink alcohol once a week sometimes I go 3-4 weeks without drinking, some weeks I'll drink twice, and I've switched to mainly red wine cuz that supposed to be healthier. On the weekends is the only time I don't really eat that well. I'll have something like steak and fries, ribs & fries, chicken fajita & chips. On occasion I'll have an ice creme concrete or something on a Saturday or Sunday. But usually there is only TWO meals a week that are like that. On Thursday and Saturday evenings I have an energy drink. That is it.

Last edited by BWillie; 04-05-2018 at 11:54 AM..
BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:50 AM   #135
Banned!

Oops. Read as intermittent fisting. Carry on.
Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.