Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room > Media Center

Old 10-21-2016, 04:17 PM  
Supporter

Solo: A Star Wars Story 2018 Spoiler Thread

http://www.starwars.com/news/donald-...and-alone-film

Donald Glover is officially a young Lando Calrissian!

Lucasfilm announced today that Donald Glover, an acclaimed actor, award-winning writer, and Grammy-nominated artist, will be playing the part of Lando Calrissian in the still-untitled Han Solo Star Wars film, helmed by directors Phil Lord and Christopher Miller. Glover will join Alden Ehrenreich — previously cast as Han Solo — in bringing two iconic Star Wars characters back to the big screen, but at a time in their lives previously unexplored. This new film depicts Lando in his formative years as a scoundrel on the rise in the galaxy’s underworld — years before the events involving Han, Leia, and Darth Vader in The Empire Strikes Back and his rise to Rebel hero in Return of the Jedi.

“We’re so lucky to have an artist as talented as Donald join us,” said Lord and Miller. “These are big shoes to fill, and an even bigger cape, and this one fits him perfectly, which will save us money on alterations. Also, we’d like to publicly apologize to Donald for ruining Comic-Con for him forever.”

Glover is best known for creating and starring in the critically acclaimed FX series Atlanta (which had the highest premiere numbers for any basic cable comedy show since 2013), as well as for starring in four seasons of the show Community, and for his Grammy-nominated album Because the Internet, performed under the name Childish Gambino. In addition, Glover appeared in the Academy Award-nominated The Martian, and will be seen in the upcoming Spider-Man: Homecoming.

The untitled Han Solo movie is set for release in 2018.

Last edited by DaneMcCloud; 02-05-2018 at 10:52 AM..
DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:40 PM   #121
Mindful Taoist German

DISNEY will be shocked when the expanded SWU makes less than the MCU.

And if the Comix aspect doesn't start un-****ing itself that's going to go down as well...
Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:45 PM   #122
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rausch View Post
DISNEY will be shocked when the expanded SWU makes less than the MCU.

And if the Comix aspect doesn't start un-****ing itself that's going to go down as well...
It doesn't matter, as Disney has already recouped their initial $4 billion dollar purchase.

But let's not pretend that Marvel hasn't made shitty movies. Iron Man 2, Thor 2 and so on.
DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-26-2017, 04:32 PM   #123
I'll be back.

Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-26-2017, 04:42 PM   #124
mod-ish

Sounds like Rogue One messed up their entire view of the SWU. Rogue One IS a dark movie, in spite of Gilroy's re-shoots, and it not only is an amazing Star Wars film but was a financial triumph for Disney. It seems like this Han Solo movie was going to play on a young Solo with his swagger and "aw-shucks" confidence, leading to a light hearted movie. But with R1 fresh in everyone's minds, maybe they felt a little more serious angle needed to be taken?

That's all just speculation on my part, but I do stand by my theory that Rogue One showed KK, Lucasfilms, and Disney that there is another way to shoot a Star Wars movie; that the ESB format does appeal to a mass audience....
Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-26-2017, 04:46 PM   #125
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowser View Post
Sounds like Rogue One messed up their entire view of the SWU. Rogue One IS a dark movie, in spite of Gilroy's re-shoots, and it not only is an amazing Star Wars film but was a financial triumph for Disney. It seems like this Han Solo movie was going to play on a young Solo with his swagger and "aw-shucks" confidence, leading to a light hearted movie. But with R1 fresh in everyone's minds, maybe they felt a little more serious angle needed to be taken?

That's all just speculation on my part, but I do stand by my theory that Rogue One showed KK, Lucasfilms, and Disney that there is another way to shoot a Star Wars movie; that the ESB format does appeal to a mass audience....
Nah.

Kasdan wrote a script which KK approved. Lord & Miller continued to deviate from the tone of the script to the point where it wasn't even the same script.

Kasdan lost his shit and so did KK. Lord & Miller fired. Boom.

The hiring of an acting coach isn't odd but it's odd when it's late in the filming schedule. The firing of the editor and the hiring of an Oscar winner reveals that they're trying as best they can to avoid re-shooting the entire movie but it won't be shocking if after filming ends in September, they once again, schedule reshoots in November or January.

I'll be surprised if the entire movie isn't re-shot under the direction of Ron Howard.

The "cheers" from the crew after Ron Howard was revealed as the new director is quite telling.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:00 PM   #126
Supporter

Also, I'll add that "Universe Building" is quite difficult.

JJ Abrams co-wrote his script with Kasdan, who wrote Empire and ROTJ, so Abrams had a leg up on that script. He also bitched enough (which I leaked way back during the filming) that he got his "way" most of the time. Being an Editor and Composer helped Abrams vision of TFA as well (although I personally disliked the story).

Any criticism of Gareth Edwards is ridiculous. KK, the Lucasfilm story team and Iger approved the script and it was shot exactly as scripted. After Iger and KK saw an edited version (sans VFX), the decision to make the film "darker" was made and Tony Gilroy, who'd worked with Gareth before, was hired to rewrite and direct, while Gareth worked with the VFX team for the final battle.

Fortunately for us fans, Lucasfilm, KK and Disney have nearly endless pockets so they're able to make corrections if the films are not up to the standard set by the OT.

Also, this process will only help KK and the story group as they move forward so that she'll be able to avoid this type of pitfall for the next standalone film.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:16 PM   #127
MVP

I've been pretty skeptical of a Han Solo prequel, mostly on the grounds that portraying a young Ford/Solo incredibly difficult. While Han is definitely an irreverent rogue, he needs a role that is action oriented and high risk. Not just a platform for jokes. I can't see the departure of Lord and Miller as anything but a good thing.

What worries me most is the actor playing Solo. I'll defer to Dane in regards to the timing and use of acting coaches, but I have little hope he'll be any good.
unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:17 PM   #128
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud View Post
It'll happen and the announcement might even come this summer.
I hope so! Do we know what the next stand alone film will be? Any chance it's Kenobi?
unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:21 PM   #129
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlurking View Post
What worries me most is the actor playing Solo. I'll defer to Dane in regards to the timing and use of acting coaches, but I have little hope he'll be any good.
The only reason I have any hope that Ehrenreich will be any good at this role is he beat out 2,500 other actors, including Taron Edgerton.

Personally, I'd have rather seen Ehrenreich as a young Han Solo in a different standalone as a cameo, or with just a few minutes of screen time, then decide whether or not to move forward with a full blown movie featuring a young Han Solo.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:24 PM   #130
Supporter

Quote:
I hope so! Do we know what the next stand alone film will be? Any chance it's Kenobi?
I've been hearing Kenobi for quite a while but the last thing I heard was that they wanted to wait until the Episode IX script was completed so that they wouldn't step on his legacy or pin Trevorrow into a corner.

As far as I know, the Epi IX script is in the polishing stage with shooting to begin January (some shooting is supposed to take place this summer but I think it's more likely to be exteriors).
Old 06-26-2017, 05:42 PM   #131
error 404

Quote:
Everyone should be worried. I hate this guy.

sd4chiefs Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.sd4chiefs Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.sd4chiefs Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.sd4chiefs Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.sd4chiefs Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.sd4chiefs Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.sd4chiefs Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.sd4chiefs Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.sd4chiefs Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.sd4chiefs Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.sd4chiefs Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:43 PM   #132
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud View Post
Personally, I'd have rather seen Ehrenreich as a young Han Solo in a different standalone as a cameo, or with just a few minutes of screen time, then decide whether or not to move forward with a full blown movie featuring a young Han Solo.
That makes too much sense to actually do.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:19 PM   #133
In Search of a Life

Do they have the stones to fire Ehrenreich this late in the game? Ala, Eric Stoltz in Back to the Future
Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:58 PM   #134
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 View Post
Do they have the stones to fire Ehrenreich this late in the game? Ala, Eric Stoltz in Back to the Future
If Ron Howard comes to the realization that Ehrenreich needs to be replaced, I think they scrap the entire movie.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:46 PM   #135
Shaken. Not stirred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazod View Post
I still say the storyline of the original KOTOR is better than anything in the movies. That moment when you realize you're Revan.... holy shit.
Spoiler that shit man. I might play it one day.
007 is obviously part of the inner Circle.007 is obviously part of the inner Circle.007 is obviously part of the inner Circle.007 is obviously part of the inner Circle.007 is obviously part of the inner Circle.007 is obviously part of the inner Circle.007 is obviously part of the inner Circle.007 is obviously part of the inner Circle.007 is obviously part of the inner Circle.007 is obviously part of the inner Circle.007 is obviously part of the inner Circle.