Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 06-27-2016, 11:23 AM  
Kind of a mod

Investing megathread extravaganza

A place to talk about investing stuff.

Last edited by DaFace; 02-19-2021 at 06:35 PM..
DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-04-2020, 09:20 AM   #6016
NFL's #1 Ermines Fan

I don't quite get how the market responds to option trading. So Softbank is buying a bunch of call options. Why is that pushing the market up? Is it just magnifying momentum because they exercise calls when prices go up and that in turn makes prices go up more? And then the opposite happens when it goes down?

We're having a big pullback on tech. Is it all or mostly attributed to this one company? If so, that's scary.
Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-04-2020, 09:27 AM   #6017
The Seated Villain

Oops, sorry everybody.
MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.
Old 09-04-2020, 09:31 AM   #6018
NFL's #1 Ermines Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicHef View Post
Oops, sorry everybody.
Get out of options! You're killing me!
Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-04-2020, 09:38 AM   #6019
TACO SALAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
I don't quite get how the market responds to option trading. So Softbank is buying a bunch of call options. Why is that pushing the market up? Is it just magnifying momentum because they exercise calls when prices go up and that in turn makes prices go up more? And then the opposite happens when it goes down?

We're having a big pullback on tech. Is it all or mostly attributed to this one company? If so, that's scary.
I imagine the entities selling them a ton of calls are hedging the bet by purchasing a lot of shares. That's probably pushing prices up. I doubt it's the only thing. A lot of new traders/investors are pushing money in too. There are always traders riding momentum too. It got going and went a ways too far.
ChiliConCarnage threw an interception on a screen pass.ChiliConCarnage threw an interception on a screen pass.ChiliConCarnage threw an interception on a screen pass.ChiliConCarnage threw an interception on a screen pass.ChiliConCarnage threw an interception on a screen pass.ChiliConCarnage threw an interception on a screen pass.ChiliConCarnage threw an interception on a screen pass.ChiliConCarnage threw an interception on a screen pass.ChiliConCarnage threw an interception on a screen pass.ChiliConCarnage threw an interception on a screen pass.ChiliConCarnage threw an interception on a screen pass.
Old 09-04-2020, 09:40 AM   #6020
Andy Reid Supporter

Quote:
I wonder if we're in line for a big correction. It's completely "me-search" instead of research, but I've recently heard several independent bits of bad news in my personal network, to the point where I've wondered if some sort of tipping point has been reached in terms of companies holding the line on the economy.
The Dow went up almost 3k in August so a pullback was definitely warranted. What’s interesting was this same thing happened in May. May 1st to the 1st week of June the Dow went up a similar path then stabilized and then came back in August.

I’m thinking this will be similar
RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-04-2020, 09:41 AM   #6021
Why so serious?

Quote:

Sure. So Softbank buys such a large amount of calls and they do so from market makers. Market makers can hedge by buying the calls back, but that's not possible given the volume they're selling. These single stock calls just aren't liquid enough. So, they buy the underlying stock back as a hedge. But the delta of a call option increases as it goes into the money. So if Softbank bought 10 AAPL 50-delta calls, the market maker would have to buy 5 shares of AAPL to start. If AAPL goes up some amount, the delta might increase to 60 and then the market maker would have to buy 1 more share. That pushes the price up and increases the delta further to 70. Then he has to buy another share. Etc. On the way down, it's the exact same impact but the other way.

Anyway, take that to an extreme where market makers are short a lot of calls (i.e., something called 'gamma' which is the amount the delta changes as the underlying stock moves) and the market is going parabolic. It's made worse because of the Robinhood crowd who's been chasing returns left and right.

Hope that helps.
TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-04-2020, 09:48 AM   #6022
MVP

I wonder if Softbank will reveal they have a rogue trader within their organization? That's some serious risk.
Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.
Old 09-04-2020, 09:54 AM   #6023
Why so serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie View Post
I wonder if Softbank will reveal they have a rogue trader within their organization? That's some serious risk.
Softbank is massive. This isn't a rogue trader situation. The article speaks to that.
TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-04-2020, 01:25 PM   #6024
TACO SALAD

My email to customersupport@softbank.com must have worked. It seems they went back to buying calls as everything has turned around and shot back up.
ChiliConCarnage threw an interception on a screen pass.ChiliConCarnage threw an interception on a screen pass.ChiliConCarnage threw an interception on a screen pass.ChiliConCarnage threw an interception on a screen pass.ChiliConCarnage threw an interception on a screen pass.ChiliConCarnage threw an interception on a screen pass.ChiliConCarnage threw an interception on a screen pass.ChiliConCarnage threw an interception on a screen pass.ChiliConCarnage threw an interception on a screen pass.ChiliConCarnage threw an interception on a screen pass.ChiliConCarnage threw an interception on a screen pass.
Old 09-04-2020, 01:34 PM   #6025
Spooky Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliConCarnage View Post
My email to customersupport@softbank.com must have worked. It seems they went back to buying calls as everything has turned around and shot back up.
Next time give us a heads up before you kill the dip.
EPodolak 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.EPodolak 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.EPodolak 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.EPodolak 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.EPodolak 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.EPodolak 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.EPodolak 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.EPodolak 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.EPodolak 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.EPodolak 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.EPodolak 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old 09-04-2020, 02:12 PM   #6026
In Search of a Life

BMO Bank of Montreal doing very well for me, plus a dividend payment this quarter.

Just bought BNS Bank of Nova Scotia 2.72 Div (6.36%) this week. And PNNT Pennant Park Investment 0.48 Div (13.15%)

Nice Green day for my portfolio after an up and down week.
Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-04-2020, 02:47 PM   #6027
Fish are scared of me

Here you go Rainman, Don't sweat the dip!

Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-05-2020, 02:45 PM   #6028
He's Mahomie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin View Post
If you try waiting for a bottom you always miss the bottom.

I think Amazon is a great investment especially now because I imagine sooner or later they will do a stock split and when that gets announced its going to fly 50%
Amazon is a good buy because this Plandemic wrecked all their competition. There's no more small business to worry about. It's clear sailing to a Monopoly.

And if you like Amazon, check out BABA stock. It's Chinese Amazon but with 1.5 Billion customers.
MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-05-2020, 03:03 PM   #6029
I'll be back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MahiMike View Post
And if you like Amazon, check out BABA stock. It's Chinese Amazon but with 1.5 Billion customers.
DO NOT BUY CHINESE STOCKS

CHINA IS...ASSHOLE!
Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-05-2020, 03:06 PM   #6030
Fish are scared of me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties View Post
DO NOT BUY CHINESE STOCKS

CHINA IS...ASSHOLE!
IDEX is china
Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.