Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room > Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum

Old 08-10-2020, 12:10 PM  
__

Loosening up the 2021 cap, Phase 1: Okafor

I've already complained (and some of you jerkwads counter-complained about me) about our lack of cap space in 2021. Lots of stuff is going to have to happen to make 2021 manageable.

The first just happened:

Quote:
Kansas City Chiefs DE Alex Okafor appears to have done the team a favor.

According to a new report from NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero, Okafor has signed a restructured contract with the Chiefs. His newly agreed-upon deal clears $2 million in cap space for the 2020 NFL season. He’ll make a maximum of $4.96 million in 2020 according to Pelissero. That number includes $860K in per-game roster bonuses and an additional $2 million in incentives.

The new deal also makes it so that Okafor becomes a free agent in 2021. Okafor originally wasn’t slated to become an unrestricted free agent until the 2022 season. He originally signed a three-year deal worth just under $18 million in the 2019 offseason.
This is such a big win for the team, by the way.

The help Okafor's restructuring gives us for 2020 is solid, but it completely lops off his cap hit in 2021, when we need it the most.

Okafor wasn't going to play for us in 2021 anyway, we were going to have to cut him. Now he gets to walk as a free agent, and we get a potential 2022 compensatory pick out of it if he signs a decent deal.

2021 is still going to be very tight, but at least it's more scalable now. You can cut/trade Eric Fisher and restructure a few players and get the space you need.
Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-10-2020, 07:33 PM   #2
In Search of a Life

So, does this help offset the financial black hole Niang created which was poised to destroy our cap for decades?
Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-10-2020, 08:38 PM   #3
__

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfcan View Post
So, does this help offset the financial black hole Niang created which was poised to destroy our cap for decades?

I know nuance is difficult, but Niang makes the decision over Fisher more difficult, and cutting or trading Fisher is the easiest way to make the cap work in 2021.

Okafor waived not only the entirety of his 2021 cap, but waived off $2m of his cap this year, which could maybe be rolled over to 2021. Which is a huge burden lifted.

Hell, we’ve got 15m in space right now that we could roll over in its entirety if we don’t sign someone, and that alone would allow us to keep Fisher altogether, combined with a couple minor moves.
Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 1     Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 09:04 PM   #4
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Direckshun View Post

I know nuance is difficult, but Niang makes the decision over Fisher more difficult, and cutting or trading Fisher is the easiest way to make the cap work in 2021.

Okafor waived not only the entirety of his 2021 cap, but waived off $2m of his cap this year, which could maybe be rolled over to 2021. Which is a huge burden lifted.

Hell, we’ve got 15m in space right now that we could roll over in its entirety if we don’t sign someone, and that alone would allow us to keep Fisher altogether, combined with a couple minor moves.
Awesome answer. I was teasing you a bit about your other thread- but also was genuinely curious how this sets us up now.

IMO this Okafor deal is pretty huge for the Chiefs due to all the reasons you mentioned, but also is shows that Okafor must think he is going to get another ring this year.

Being a multiple SB champ will be something that will define his playing career. Call it the Mahomes effect- guys will take a discount to play here. First Sammy, than Mahomes set the precedent in stone, Jones, now Okafor.

This is how you keep a team together. Add in all the role players like Sausage on 1 year deals- I think we will manage the cap just fine while staying competitive.
Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-11-2020, 09:21 AM   #5
M-I-Z-Z-O-U

Quote:

Just really disagree with you on this one.

I don't think cutting Fisher was ever on the table as a real consideration. Converting salary into signing bonuses, extending centerpiece players... those are the fallbacks for potentially disastrous drops in 2021 cap.

Everything Veach has done has set up to retain the key players on his team. The starting LT, who is paid at fair market value and is above average if not elite, is one of those.
duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-11-2020, 10:47 AM   #6
__

I just don’t think you spend a third on Niang to do anything but eventually start at tackle.
Thumbs Up 0 Thumbs Down 1     Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 03:48 PM   #7
MVP

Quote:
I just don’t think you spend a third on Niang to do anything but eventually start at tackle.
Eventually, maybe at RT. I don't think there is any reason to believe he'll ever be a starter at LT. He wasn't in college. I'd say guard RG was his most likely spot until Schwartz is gone.

The best-case scenario in terms of replacing Fisher is going to be drafting a LT and that probably means trading up in round 1. I like Fisher far more than most so I'm hopeful its a transition rather than due to a cap casualty.
kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.