Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 06-01-2014, 09:40 AM  
Kind of a mod

Space Exploration megathread

Since a number of cool things are happening in space exploration these days, we'll widen the scope of this thread a smidge. Conversation about all things space exploration are welcome, whether it be from NASA, SpaceX, ULA, Blue Origin, or anyone else. Chances are most of the discussion will still be about SpaceX since they love to make things public and fun, but nothing's off limits. I'll eventually get around to modifying the OP to include resources for other companies too, but in the meantime, feel free to post any cool stuff you run across.

Lists of Upcoming Missions

How to Watch a Live Launch

Where to Learn More
Spoiler!

Glossary
Spoiler!

Last edited by DaFace; 12-10-2020 at 03:36 PM..
DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-03-2020, 05:56 PM   #3016
Ain't no relax!

Humans, for scale...

It’s hard to fathom the scale of the Falcon 9 that launched humans to space last weekend until you see people working on the booster! from r/space

Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-03-2020, 06:04 PM   #3017
Kind of a mod

If any of you find yourselves in LA with some time to spare, it's worth it to drop by SpaceX and check out the booster there. Here it is with my wife for scale.
DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-03-2020, 07:03 PM   #3018
My Mamma Says

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFace View Post
If any of you find yourselves in LA with some time to spare, it's worth it to drop by SpaceX and check out the booster there. Here it is with my wife for scale.
Dude... I like you so I'm not going to...
Kman34 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Kman34 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Kman34 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Kman34 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Kman34 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Kman34 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Kman34 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Kman34 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Kman34 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Kman34 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Kman34 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-03-2020, 08:03 PM   #3019
The Seated Villain

Drone ship feed didn’t cut out during landing. I wonder if they’ve made an upgrade.
MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.
Old 06-03-2020, 09:05 PM   #3020
Kind of a mod

Kind of crazy when Demo-2 isn't even back yet. Speculation is that Boeing is gonna continue getting delayed, and NASA is wanting SpaceX to fill the void by reusing Dragons (since it's a lot faster to refurbish than it is to build a new one).
Old 06-05-2020, 09:32 AM   #3021
"Think BOOM!"

Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-05-2020, 12:40 PM   #3022
The Seated Villain

Wow

MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.
Old 06-05-2020, 12:41 PM   #3023
"Think BOOM!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicHef View Post
Wow

That seems.... rather optimistic.
Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-05-2020, 12:44 PM   #3024
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donger View Post
That seems.... rather optimistic.
I don't think he's too off the mark in terms of cargo but a manned mission to Mars in 2024?

Has Space X even built whatever ship is taking the astronauts on their 18 month journey?

Won't they need a ship in orbit and a lander, too?
DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-05-2020, 12:47 PM   #3025
"Think BOOM!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud View Post
I don't think he's too off the mark in terms of cargo but a manned mission to Mars in 2024?

Has Space X even built whatever ship is taking the astronauts on their 18 month journey?

Won't they need a ship in orbit and a lander, too?
Well, I presume he's talking about Starship. And those keep blowing up and hasn't even sniffed space.
Old 06-05-2020, 12:51 PM   #3026
Supporter

Quote:
Well, I presume he's talking about Starship. And those keep blowing up and hasn't even sniffed space.
Thanks! Hopefully, they'll have the rocket ready by the end of 2022 but it sure seems like it's going to take much longer before they can send humans to Mars.

I should probably do more research but have NASA and Space X figured out how to protect the astronauts from radiation during the 18 month journey to and from Mars?
DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-05-2020, 12:55 PM   #3027
"Think BOOM!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud View Post
Thanks! Hopefully, they'll have the rocket ready by the end of 2022 but it sure seems like it's going to take much longer before they can send humans to Mars.

I should probably do more research but have NASA and Space X figured out how to protect the astronauts from radiation during the 18 month journey to and from Mars?
Musk has a history of being a tad optimistic with timelines.

Last I heard, they are looking at a four month duration to Mars, which will lessen the exposure. And I think I read that they plan to have a shelter for emergencies.
Old 06-05-2020, 01:04 PM   #3028
Kind of a mod

Gwynne Shotwell is probably a more reasonable gauge of timelines. Here's what she said recently:

Note that she's just talking about flying (at all). It's hard to imagine Mars being only a couple years away.

But I will say that, once you understand "Elon Time," you get it. He says "we'll do it in 2 years" when everyone else thinks it'll take 10. Then when it's done in 5, it's still a big win.
Old 06-05-2020, 01:07 PM   #3029
"Think BOOM!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFace View Post
Gwynne Shotwell is probably a more reasonable gauge of timelines. Here's what she said recently:

Note that she's just talking about flying (at all). It's hard to imagine Mars being only a couple years away.

But I will say that, once you understand "Elon Time," you get it. He says "we'll do it in 2 years" when everyone else thinks it'll take 10. Then when it's done in 5, it's still a big win.
He stole that from Scotty.

Old 06-05-2020, 01:17 PM   #3030
Supporter

Quote:
Musk has a history of being a tad optimistic with timelines.

Last I heard, they are looking at a four month duration to Mars, which will lessen the exposure. And I think I read that they plan to have a shelter for emergencies.
4 months? Holy cow! That's nearly 31,000 miles per hour.