Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room

Old 06-01-2014, 09:40 AM  
Kind of a mod

Space Exploration megathread

Since a number of cool things are happening in space exploration these days, we'll widen the scope of this thread a smidge. Conversation about all things space exploration are welcome, whether it be from NASA, SpaceX, ULA, Blue Origin, or anyone else. Chances are most of the discussion will still be about SpaceX since they love to make things public and fun, but nothing's off limits. I'll eventually get around to modifying the OP to include resources for other companies too, but in the meantime, feel free to post any cool stuff you run across.

Lists of Upcoming Missions

How to Watch a Live Launch

Where to Learn More
Spoiler!

Glossary
Spoiler!

Last edited by DaFace; 12-10-2020 at 03:36 PM..
DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:45 AM   #16
"Think BOOM!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlurking View Post
Ars has some cool photos. One of the console, once rotated 180° and cropped, is now my wallpaper.

http://arstechnica.com/science/2014/...space-capsule/

I would hope that they could build a space ship and actually get the control panels right side up.
Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:46 AM   #17
"Think BOOM!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFace View Post
Wait, is the hull actually transparent?
Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:53 AM   #18
Kind of a mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donger View Post
Wait, is the hull actually transparent?
I think it's somewhat reflective. I did find this comparison to be pretty apt.

DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:45 AM   #19
Keep doubting J MFing Houston

Quote:
Here's a test flight of the main rocket landing itself. This one is way cool. I wouldn't have guessed you could have that much control using thrusters on the bottom like that.

OK if this is actual footage, it makes NASA look like bafoons, and makes me wonder what kind of shit our military has.
I bet the MIC's space program is just nasty.
beach tribe is obviously part of the inner Circle.beach tribe is obviously part of the inner Circle.beach tribe is obviously part of the inner Circle.beach tribe is obviously part of the inner Circle.beach tribe is obviously part of the inner Circle.beach tribe is obviously part of the inner Circle.beach tribe is obviously part of the inner Circle.beach tribe is obviously part of the inner Circle.beach tribe is obviously part of the inner Circle.beach tribe is obviously part of the inner Circle.beach tribe is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:49 AM   #20
Keep doubting J MFing Houston

Quote:
Even more impressive is that the engines are 3D printed. I thought I misheard Tony, err, I mean Elon, when he said that.

Obligatory test firing video!

Oh, so this stuff is for NASA?
beach tribe is obviously part of the inner Circle.beach tribe is obviously part of the inner Circle.beach tribe is obviously part of the inner Circle.beach tribe is obviously part of the inner Circle.beach tribe is obviously part of the inner Circle.beach tribe is obviously part of the inner Circle.beach tribe is obviously part of the inner Circle.beach tribe is obviously part of the inner Circle.beach tribe is obviously part of the inner Circle.beach tribe is obviously part of the inner Circle.beach tribe is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:54 AM   #21
MVP

Quote:
I would hope that they could build a space ship and actually get the control panels right side up.
This image is of the console in the "up" position. If you watch the unveil video, you'll notice that it is not fixed. It flips up out of the way for astronauts to get in and out of the seats. Kind of like the TNG consoles that rotate sideways to allow operators to sit, these just happen to be vertical.

EDIT:
About the 12:40 mark of the unveil video you see Musk entering the spacecraft. About 13:10 you see him operating the console after climbing into a chair. In case your in a hurry to see the console. Personally, I thought the whole video was worth watching.
unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:55 AM   #22
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach tribe View Post
Oh, so this stuff is for NASA?
It's to win the manned space vehicle contract for NASA. Two other teams are competing, Boeing and Sierra Nevada. I'm sure it will be used in the private sector once someone figures out what to do with it though.
unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 06-01-2014, 12:06 PM   #23
"Think BOOM!"

Quote:
This image is of the console in the "up" position. If you watch the unveil video, you'll notice that it is not fixed. It flips up out of the way for astronauts to get in and out of the seats. Kind of like the TNG consoles that rotate sideways to allow operators to sit, these just happen to be vertical.

EDIT:
About the 12:40 mark of the unveil video you see Musk entering the spacecraft. About 13:10 you see him operating the console after climbing into a chair. In case your in a hurry to see the console. Personally, I thought the whole video was worth watching.
I was kidding
Old 06-01-2014, 12:10 PM   #24
MVP

Quote:
I was kidding
Ahhh. Well since I went to the trouble I'm posting this anyway...

Old 06-01-2014, 12:20 PM   #25
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Here's a test flight of the main rocket landing itself. This one is way cool. I wouldn't have guessed you could have that much control using thrusters on the bottom like that.

Wow. That's pretty awesome.
Mr. Plow is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Plow is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Plow is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Plow is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Plow is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Plow is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Plow is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Plow is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Plow is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Plow is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Plow is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:54 PM   #26
Supporter

Quote:

Crazy. I wouldn't think it would stay upright falling back to earth in the wind.
Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:09 PM   #27
MVP

Quote:
It's to win the manned space vehicle contract for NASA. Two other teams are competing, Boeing and Sierra Nevada. I'm sure it will be used in the private sector once someone figures out what to do with it though.
Asteroid mining. Zero -G manufacturing.
GloucesterChief 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.GloucesterChief 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.GloucesterChief 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.GloucesterChief 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.GloucesterChief 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.GloucesterChief 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.GloucesterChief 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.GloucesterChief 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.GloucesterChief 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.GloucesterChief 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.GloucesterChief 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:18 PM   #28
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buehler445 View Post
Crazy. I wouldn't think it would stay upright falling back to earth in the wind.
Or in a stampede!!!

Old 06-01-2014, 03:21 PM   #29
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloucesterChief View Post
Asteroid mining. Zero -G manufacturing.
OK, maybe I should have said decided what to fund it to do. As the costs go down I'm sure tons of projects will open up. Question is just who will pony up for it.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:49 PM   #30
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buehler445 View Post
oh and LOL at the cows at :20.
Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.