Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 06-01-2014, 09:40 AM  
Kind of a mod

Space Exploration megathread

Since a number of cool things are happening in space exploration these days, we'll widen the scope of this thread a smidge. Conversation about all things space exploration are welcome, whether it be from NASA, SpaceX, ULA, Blue Origin, or anyone else. Chances are most of the discussion will still be about SpaceX since they love to make things public and fun, but nothing's off limits. I'll eventually get around to modifying the OP to include resources for other companies too, but in the meantime, feel free to post any cool stuff you run across.

Lists of Upcoming Missions

How to Watch a Live Launch

Where to Learn More
Spoiler!

Glossary
Spoiler!

Last edited by DaFace; 12-10-2020 at 03:36 PM..
DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-30-2020, 01:56 PM   #2941
Fish are scared of me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin View Post
FWIW my father was a zoo veterinarian at one time and took care of miss able before she got her ass launched. Independence Kansas.

True story.
https://airandspace.si.edu/collectio...m_A19840869000
Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 02:15 PM   #2942
Supporter

I'm pretty much speechless.

As someone that clearly remembers the July 16, 1969 moon landing, even though I wasn't even 4 years old at the time, today's successful launch is an amazing reminder of what we humans (and Americans!) can do when we all work together.

Hopefully, this launch is just the beginning of human space exploration, something I've been looking towards my entire life.
DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 02:20 PM   #2943
Fish are scared of me

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud View Post
I'm pretty much speechless.

As someone that clearly remembers the July 16, 1969 moon landing, even though I wasn't even 4 years old at the time, today's successful launch is an amazing reminder of what we humans (and Americans!) can do when we all work together.

Hopefully, this launch is just the beginning of human space exploration, something I've been looking towards my entire life.
Right on brother. This is a great day!
Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-30-2020, 02:52 PM   #2944
"Think BOOM!"

Amazing live video guys
Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-30-2020, 03:01 PM   #2945
Kind of a mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delano View Post
Anyone know if the stage one gets lashed down on the drone ship or does it use boosters to stabilize? That thing looks like it would topple over in any kind of choppy water.
They have a robot (affectionately referred to by fans as the "roomba") that comes out of a garage and attaches it to the bottom of the rocket. It's super heavy and is sufficient to stabilize it for the ride home.

On my phone, but google SpaceX roomba for pics.
DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-30-2020, 03:16 PM   #2946
TACO SALAD

That was fun to watch.

On some level, I always find it neat that despite the tensions going on down here were able to maintain the ISS w/ a significant Russian presence.
ChiliConCarnage threw an interception on a screen pass.ChiliConCarnage threw an interception on a screen pass.ChiliConCarnage threw an interception on a screen pass.ChiliConCarnage threw an interception on a screen pass.ChiliConCarnage threw an interception on a screen pass.ChiliConCarnage threw an interception on a screen pass.ChiliConCarnage threw an interception on a screen pass.ChiliConCarnage threw an interception on a screen pass.ChiliConCarnage threw an interception on a screen pass.ChiliConCarnage threw an interception on a screen pass.ChiliConCarnage threw an interception on a screen pass.
Old 05-30-2020, 03:36 PM   #2947
Fish are scared of me

I was laughing with my daughter at the water tower leaning towards the rocket launch. Anybody else notice that?
Old 05-30-2020, 03:47 PM   #2948
Paladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin View Post
I was laughing with my daughter at the water tower leaning towards the rocket launch. Anybody else notice that?
You mean your half hog half human daughter?
Setsuna threw an interception on a screen pass.Setsuna threw an interception on a screen pass.Setsuna threw an interception on a screen pass.Setsuna threw an interception on a screen pass.Setsuna threw an interception on a screen pass.Setsuna threw an interception on a screen pass.Setsuna threw an interception on a screen pass.Setsuna threw an interception on a screen pass.Setsuna threw an interception on a screen pass.Setsuna threw an interception on a screen pass.Setsuna threw an interception on a screen pass.
Old 05-30-2020, 05:08 PM   #2949
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFace View Post
Reminder to everyone that you should be able to catch ISS flying over tonight. It's around 9:20pm here in Denver, but check your local area.

Normally, you'd check here, but NASA's servers are probably getting hammered right now.

https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/

I use the app "ISS Detector."

I'm hoping that Dragon might be bright enough to catch it trailing behind...
The app Heavens Above is a great tool for this. Has DM2 8 minutes off of ISS for two passes this evening. Can be found under "Crew Dragon" when searching.
unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 05-30-2020, 06:18 PM   #2950
pie is never free

I’m proud to have caught this live on Discovery channel, it looked amazingly smooth, almost like it was was hardly moving at all

And the shots from inside the capsule after they broke through the atmosphere, monitoring their touchscreen was just icing on the cake... America is still exceptional

There’s nothing wrong with us, that can’t be fixed with what’s right with us
Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-30-2020, 09:32 PM   #2951
In Search of a Life

Just watched them both fly over! Friggin Awesome!!! North Central Kansas. North West to South East. Roughly 8 to 10 degrees apart. Perfectly clear night!

Thanks for the heads up fellas!!!

DeFace in particular.

If they still happen to be visible in another 1 hour and a half, you need to check it out!
Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
Old 05-30-2020, 09:44 PM   #2952
In Search of a Life

For me, it looks like it will be more West - South West to South East in about another hour and 15 minutes.

https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/tracking_map.cfm
Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
Old 05-30-2020, 09:51 PM   #2953
Kind of a mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coogs View Post
Just watched them both fly over! Friggin Awesome!!! North Central Kansas. North West to South East. Roughly 8 to 10 degrees apart. Perfectly clear night!

Thanks for the heads up fellas!!!

DeFace in particular.

If they still happen to be visible in another 1 hour and a half, you need to check it out!
ISS likely will be, but it'll be dimmer. So will Dragon, which means it might be harder to spot.

Completely socked in clouds for me tonight. Bummer.
Old 05-30-2020, 09:53 PM   #2954
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFace View Post
ISS likely will be, but it'll be dimmer. So will Dragon, which means it might be harder to spot.
It wasn't hard to spot. It is a bit dimmer, but very easy to see. Roughly 5 to 10 degrees behind. We, my wife and I, are going back out in to see the next pass.

Even if it is dimmer. We are going to look for it.

Too bad on the clouds for you. It was very cool!
Old 05-30-2020, 10:17 PM   #2955
(Sir/Yes Sir/Aye Aye Sir)

Very cool. Sorry, a lot of work at the lake with new divers.
GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.