Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room

Old 06-01-2014, 09:40 AM  
Kind of a mod

Space Exploration megathread

Since a number of cool things are happening in space exploration these days, we'll widen the scope of this thread a smidge. Conversation about all things space exploration are welcome, whether it be from NASA, SpaceX, ULA, Blue Origin, or anyone else. Chances are most of the discussion will still be about SpaceX since they love to make things public and fun, but nothing's off limits. I'll eventually get around to modifying the OP to include resources for other companies too, but in the meantime, feel free to post any cool stuff you run across.

Lists of Upcoming Missions

How to Watch a Live Launch

Where to Learn More
Spoiler!

Glossary
Spoiler!

Last edited by DaFace; 12-10-2020 at 03:36 PM..
DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:35 PM   #1501
Kind of a mod

Heard a "recovery vessel AOS" in the callouts a bit ago. Guess that means they're still experimenting with fairing recovery. No one has seen the crazy spider arm ship on the east coast, though, so tough to tell what they're trying.
DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:58 PM   #1502
Kind of a mod

Perfect. Now bring on FH dammit!
Old 01-31-2018, 06:12 PM   #1503
Kind of a mod

Holy shit...

Old 01-31-2018, 08:18 PM   #1504
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFace View Post
Holy shit...

Holy shit that is awesome. Even when they aren't trying they succeed.

Curious. How far ahead of everyone is spacex time wise. It doesn't seem like any other company is anywhere near ready to land rockets yet (out side of blue origin but they are still pretty far from spacex's scale). How far before other people catch up. Over or under 5 years?
Chitownchiefsfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Chitownchiefsfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Chitownchiefsfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Chitownchiefsfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Chitownchiefsfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Chitownchiefsfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Chitownchiefsfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Chitownchiefsfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Chitownchiefsfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Chitownchiefsfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Chitownchiefsfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
Old 01-31-2018, 09:50 PM   #1505
Kind of a mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitownchiefsfan View Post
Holy shit that is awesome. Even when they aren't trying they succeed.

Curious. How far ahead of everyone is spacex time wise. It doesn't seem like any other company is anywhere near ready to land rockets yet (out side of blue origin but they are still pretty far from spacex's scale). How far before other people catch up. Over or under 5 years?
Blue Origin is a weird one. On the one hand, they're far behind. But on the other, they have done a ton of R&D that hasn't come to anything yet, but probably will soon. Couple that with a basically endless pile of money that Bezos could throw at it, and it wouldn't surprise me to see them catch up in 5 years.

I don't think anyone else has a chance.
Old 01-31-2018, 09:55 PM   #1506
Veteran

This was the first launch I've watched live, YouTube sent me a notification about 30 prelaunch or I would have missed it. Really insightful and informative coverage. Exciting first 10 minutes. I was pulled away so I missed the fairing separation, I'll go back and try to find it.

Can someone explain the significance of how difficult it was to recover the booster? Elon sounded like it was pretty impressive it survived
Cornstock 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliCornstock 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliCornstock 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliCornstock 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliCornstock 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliCornstock 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliCornstock 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliCornstock 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliCornstock 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliCornstock 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliCornstock 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
Old 01-31-2018, 10:08 PM   #1507
Kind of a mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornstock View Post
This was the first launch I've watched live, YouTube sent me a notification about 30 prelaunch or I would have missed it. Really insightful and informative coverage. Exciting first 10 minutes. I was pulled away so I missed the fairing separation, I'll go back and try to find it.

Can someone explain the significance of how difficult it was to recover the booster? Elon sounded like it was pretty impressive it survived
Rocket boosters - especially empty rocket boosters - are very strong vertically, but they're really weak horizontally. If you watch the old explosive landing videos, a lot of them almost land, but when they hit the deck horizontally, the entire thing immediately ruptures.

The expectation is that the booster would tear and explode after hitting the water, but this one apparently slid down into the water so smoothly that it remained pressurized and intact.

Mind you, this booster is trashed and will absolutely never fly again. The salt water will damage pretty much everything even ignoring it'll be dragged through the water 100 miles.

But they might be able to get some good data from it or otherwise learn from it.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:23 PM   #1508
Kind of a mod

Cool shot of the flames from today.

Old 02-03-2018, 06:20 PM   #1509
Banned

SpaceX confirms it will try to land all of Falcon Heavy's boosters

Elon Musk's outfit has confirmed that it will attempt to land all three boosters on Falcon Heavy's launch, which is now slated for a 2.5-hour window starting at 1:30PM Eastern on February 6th.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/02/03/...nding-attempt/
eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:21 PM   #1510
MVP

Any guess how likely it is the FH will launch the 6th or 7th? I'm thinking of taking my 7yo down, but really worried about wasting the money.
aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:01 PM   #1511
Kind of a mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturnis View Post
Any guess how likely it is the FH will launch the 6th or 7th? I'm thinking of taking my 7yo down, but really worried about wasting the money.
Pure gut feeling, I'd say 60% for the 6th and 75% for the 7th. It's definitely a risk.
Old 02-04-2018, 07:27 PM   #1512
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturnis View Post

Weather will be a Sunny 75 degrees with 10 MPH winds. The weather will not delay this launch. Any of the South beaches or the Titusville river front parks will give you a good view without the sun in your eyes.
Scooter LaCanforno has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Scooter LaCanforno has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Scooter LaCanforno has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Scooter LaCanforno has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Scooter LaCanforno has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Scooter LaCanforno has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Scooter LaCanforno has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Scooter LaCanforno has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Scooter LaCanforno has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Scooter LaCanforno has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Scooter LaCanforno has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:47 AM   #1513
Kind of a mod

24(ish) hour bump for FALCON HEAVY!!! Looks like we're gonna have all sorts of cameras on the car and its passenger...

FFF; border:0; border-radius:3px; box-shadow:0 0 1px 0 rgba(0,0,0,0.5),0 1px 10px 0 rgba(0,0,0,0.15); margin: 1px; max-width:658px; padding:0; width:99.375%; width:-webkit-calc(100% - 2px); width:calc(100% - 2px);">
F8F8F8; line-height:0; margin-top:40px; padding:50% 0; text-align:center; width:100%;">

000; font-family:Arial,sans-serif; font-size:14px; font-style:normal; font-weight:normal; line-height:17px; text-decoration:none; word-wrap:break-word;" target="_blank">Starman in Red Roadster

c9c8cd; font-family:Arial,sans-serif; font-size:14px; line-height:17px; margin-bottom:0; margin-top:8px; overflow:hidden; padding:8px 0 7px; text-align:center; text-overflow:ellipsis; white-space:nowrap;">A post shared by c9c8cd; font-family:Arial,sans-serif; font-size:14px; font-style:normal; font-weight:normal; line-height:17px;" target="_blank"> Elon Musk (@elonmusk) on

Old 02-05-2018, 11:13 AM   #1514
Kind of a mod

I believe this is unofficial, but should be pretty close. Doubt the fairing recovery is ready for prime time yet, though.

Old 02-05-2018, 11:26 AM   #1515
"Think BOOM!"

What's the liftoff time?
Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.