Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 01-29-2024, 09:30 AM  
I'll be back.

Mahomes-MVS pass that sent Chiefs to Super Bowl has a backstory: ‘He called his shot’

Do we have time to run shit to MVS?

Quote:
Before the play that sent the Kansas City Chiefs to the Super Bowl, Patrick Mahomes walked to the sideline, close enough that Marquez Valdes-Scantling was within earshot. Mahomes made his way toward coach Andy Reid, with Valdes-Scantling hearing each of the next six words clearly.

“Put the ball in my hands,” Mahomes said to Reid.

The Chiefs were up seven in their eventual 17-10 AFC Championship Game win over the Baltimore Ravens at M&T Stadium. KC led by seven and faced a third-and-9 from its own 46.

Mahomes made it clear to his coach: He wanted the opportunity to win this game himself with a passing play. In turn, the coach showed faith, too. He let him go do it. And also call the play as well.

Chiefs backup quarterback Chris Oladokun said what was coming even before Mahomes reached the sideline. His mind flashed back to the night before — at the team hotel in Owings Mills, Maryland — when the Chiefs held their quarterback meeting with coaches.

The conversation went like this, “Third-and-long for the game. Which call do you want?” Mahomes had studied. He figured the Ravens would bring pressure on a down like that. He believed he needed a man-to-man-beating route.

“He called his shot,” Oladokun said. Then Reid — on the biggest offensive snap of the year — trusted Mahomes to go win with it.

From his spot on the sideline, Oladokun heard the conversation between Mahomes and the Chiefs’ coaches.

“Hey, you still like this play for third-and-long?” Mahomes was asked. “Yeah, call it,” the QB said in reply. “That’s Pat’s shot,” Oladokun said. “That’s his call.”

KC had gone over this same play in drills earlier in the week, just to be ready. Receiver Justin Watson said it is perfect for a blitz because two fast guys run down the middle of the field — Valdes-Scantling and Rashee Rice — which is tough to cover anytime, but especially without safety help.

“We practice it all year,” Watson said, “and then it finally came up in the biggest moment.” Watson said coaches and players reiterated on the sideline to “Look for Cover Zero” — football lingo for an all-out blitz. Meanwhile, Valdes-Scantling ran onto the field knowing he was a primary read. Once the pre-snap look seemed to confirm pressure was coming from the Ravens, he came to a quick realization: “I knew it was coming to me.”

That didn’t change his approach. Ravens cornerback Arthur Maulet was playing Valdes-Scantling head-up, so the Chiefs receiver knew he’d have a chance to end the game if he got behind him. “I went inside, and he didn’t put his hands on me, so I get a free release,” Valdes-Scantling said. “And I’m passing him.” Mahomes’ first read was to Rice, who had two defenders on him. He then looked to Valdes-Scantling, tossing it up downfield after seeing he had beaten Maulet.

Watson was so convinced that the ball was going to Valdes-Scantling that he altered his own route, trailing the fast receiver just in case the pass was batted up so he could be there for a rebound. That wasn’t necessary — because Valdes-Scantling won his route so convincingly. He caught the ball while falling flat on his back, bringing down the 32-yard reception for a game-clinching first down.

The catch continued Valdes-Scantling’s personal redemption story, as the wideout came through for a second straight playoff game following a challenging regular season. That included a notable drop Week 11 against the Philadelphia Eagles, when a deep ball bounced off his hands that could’ve given the Chiefs a game-winning touchdown in their 21-17 loss. “That kid, he’s taken a beating here,” Reid said after the game. “And he was able to just hang in there and battle.”

Valdes-Scantling had two catches for 62 yards against the Bills last week, then added two more receptions for 38 yards Sunday. Chiefs coaches have consistently complimented Valdes-Scantling for staying steady through the most challenging parts of his season.

After Sunday’s game, the receiver credited that ability to his “faith in God.” “That’s it, man. Football is gonna be highs and lows,” Valdes-Scantling said. “As a perfectionist, you always want to make every single play. But in this game of football, it’s nearly impossible to make every play. You would love to. But being able to stay even — stay working — is having my faith in the man up top.”

As for recovering from the Eagles game? Valdes-Scantling said that was just another instance of him remaining unshaken.

“I want to make every play. That was a tough one I feel like I should have made, and I didn’t,” Valdes-Scantling said before smiling. “But no harm no foul, because we’re gonna be going to Vegas.”

The Chiefs will play the San Francisco 49ers in Super Bowl LVIII on Sunday, Feb. 11 at Allegiant Stadium. And when they do so, they’ll take the field with a player in Mahomes that doesn’t just make plays. He sometimes calls them, too.
Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-29-2024, 09:35 AM   #2
Mindful Taoist German

Quote:
Watson was so convinced that the ball was going to Valdes-Scantling that he altered his own route, trailing the fast receiver just in case the pass was batted up so he could be there for a rebound. That wasn’t necessary — because Valdes-Scantling won his route so convincingly.
Smart Watson.
VERY smart...
Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 09:36 AM   #3
Going home eventually

EFFING DAMN STUD!
Red Dawg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Red Dawg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Red Dawg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Red Dawg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Red Dawg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Red Dawg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Red Dawg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Red Dawg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Red Dawg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Red Dawg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Red Dawg is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-29-2024, 09:40 AM   #4
NFL's #1 Ermines Fan

Heckuva catch, too. This team is peaking at the right time.
Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-29-2024, 09:41 AM   #5
NFL's #1 Ermines Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rausch View Post
Smart Watson.
VERY smart...
That's a really interesting quote. I always thought you were kind of tied to your route unless you ended up in a scramble drill.
Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-29-2024, 09:42 AM   #6
Most Valuable Villain

MVS dropped all of those balls to get single coverage during the playoffs. I won't believe anything else.
The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 17 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 09:45 AM   #7
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Franchise View Post
MVS dropped all of those balls to get single coverage during the playoffs. I won't believe anything else.
IT WAS ALL A SETUP

(not for you Toney, sit back down)
notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 6 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 09:47 AM   #8
Veteran

Bl00dyBizkitz threw an interception on a screen pass.Bl00dyBizkitz threw an interception on a screen pass.Bl00dyBizkitz threw an interception on a screen pass.Bl00dyBizkitz threw an interception on a screen pass.Bl00dyBizkitz threw an interception on a screen pass.Bl00dyBizkitz threw an interception on a screen pass.Bl00dyBizkitz threw an interception on a screen pass.Bl00dyBizkitz threw an interception on a screen pass.Bl00dyBizkitz threw an interception on a screen pass.Bl00dyBizkitz threw an interception on a screen pass.Bl00dyBizkitz threw an interception on a screen pass.
Old 01-29-2024, 09:50 AM   #9
Kind of a mod

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/nf...284793836.html
DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-29-2024, 09:55 AM   #10
MVP

This is awesome. Even better though was knowing MVS can be so funny
jerryaldini 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijerryaldini 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijerryaldini 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijerryaldini 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijerryaldini 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijerryaldini 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijerryaldini 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijerryaldini 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijerryaldini 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijerryaldini 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijerryaldini 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
Old 01-29-2024, 11:16 AM   #11
In Search of a Life

What article is this from?
suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-29-2024, 11:35 AM   #12
I'll be back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzzer99 View Post
What article is this from?
Mahomes-MVS pass that sent Chiefs to Super Bowl has a backstory: ‘He called his shot’
Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-29-2024, 11:40 AM   #13
In Search of a Life

Gotta feel good for the guy.
O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-29-2024, 12:00 PM   #14
Rufus Dawes Jr.

This is awesome.

I also think it MVS's rebound in the playoffs plays off the coaching staff's decision to essentially ignore Hardman, Toney, and Moore. The coaching staff was smart too stick with and encourage MVS, and eliminate the high risk variables of our WR corps.
Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old 01-29-2024, 12:14 PM   #15
Future NBA Finals MVP

“Put the ball in my hands,” Mahomes said to Reid.

Thank god he finally listened to him because that was some chickenshit play calling in the 2nd half. When I saw that play I was thinking to myself that certainly did not look like a play Andy Reid would call. Turns out it was Mahomes calling his shot.
BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.