Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room > Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum

Old 10-28-2019, 08:00 AM  
Veteran

If you were forced to keep Jones...

...How are you thinking about the defense and what are you adding via FA/draft?

This is just mainly a random thoughts thread.

I think a lot of people would agree LB is the biggest hole (especially after the Packers game), do you try and find one in the first round or would you prefer a veteran?

Do we end up neglecting CB in the draft again for another year, or look to add in the 2nd or later if we go 1st round LB?

What about the O line, it still needs improving? 3rd round or later?

How do you feel about DT if you have Jones, Nnadi and Saunders?

What would you like to see get done in FA if the budget is quite tight? Veteran CB or LB?

Is there anything else you want to add on offense other than O line?

If anyone has any insight as to how next year's draft is shaping up for linebackers, I would be very interested.
Chargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
Old 10-30-2019, 03:25 PM   #16
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.city View Post
Yeah you could get one of those dudes on a decent vet deal I bet.

I don't think you have to go CB in round one. I think you just have to keep stacking the roster. Go full BPA. If it's a tackle, take him. If it's a TE, do it.
Quarterback is off the list in the 1st round.

Literally EVERY other position is on it. DT to replace Jones, DE to upgrade on the slag across from Clark (or allow us to move on from Clark in 2 seasons), LB for obvious reasons, CB for equally obvious reasons and Mathieu's contract puts him on a 2-year deal similar to Sammy's and even a good safety could help make the decision on Mathieu much easier in 2 seasons.

The Ts are getting older, the interior line shittier, Kelce will be 31 next season and looks to be slowing down just a little, RB is a tire-fire (though the RB class doesn't appear to have a 1st round candidate) and WR is Hill and a bunch of scrubs if Sammy is cut.

The team has issues everywhere. There simply isn't a position on this entire squad that either A) cannot be upgraded or B) cannot be made significantly more cost effective due to the pending Mahomes extension.

So yes, every single position in the 1st round can/should/will be on the table.

But then again, I thought that was the case last year and took untold amounts of hell for calling for a Center or Hock in the first round so, y'know, it is what it is. Thank God we traded that pick away for an overpaid brokedick.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 10-30-2019, 03:38 PM   #17
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post

Literally EVERY other position is on it. DT to replace Jones, DE to upgrade on the slag across from Clark (or allow us to move on from Clark in 2 seasons), LB for obvious reasons, CB for equally obvious reasons and Mathieu's contract puts him on a 2-year deal similar to Sammy's and even a good safety could help make the decision on Mathieu much easier in 2 seasons.

The Ts are getting older, the interior line shittier, Kelce will be 31 next season and looks to be slowing down just a little, RB is a tire-fire (though the RB class doesn't appear to have a 1st round candidate) and WR is Hill and a bunch of scrubs if Sammy is cut.

The team has issues everywhere. There simply isn't a position on this entire squad that either A) cannot be upgraded or B) cannot be made significantly more cost effective due to the pending Mahomes extension.

But then again, I thought that was the case last year and took untold amounts of hell for calling for a Center or Hock in the first round so, y'know, it is what it is. Thank God we traded that pick away for an overpaid brokedick.
Thing is, I think most every team is in that same type of spot every year. It kind of is what it is. They've gotta string a few solid drafts together. Last years looks good, so they need another 1 of those here back to back.

If they could come out of this one with a few more Thornhill type dudes, we're in a good spot.

It's just something you're always gonna have to deal with now with Mahomes.
O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 10-30-2019, 11:50 PM   #18
In Search of a Life

Man what a crappy hand if you're the Oakland Raiders.

3 shots at the first round and all you've really got is a RB.
BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old 10-31-2019, 01:34 AM   #19
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post

I think the severity of the issue at the various position groups varies wildly, like although at some point replacement tackles are required its not got the same level as urgency as the CB/LB problems.

I do agree though, I think everyone who does mocks on here is getting the same feeling which is why they are giving up Jones for more ammunition to fill the holes.
Chargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
Old 11-01-2019, 06:38 AM   #20
MVP

I don't think you're ever forced...

That said, I'm estimating in saying the Chiefs should roll over about 20 million, have about 1 million in space and can cut Watkins for 14 million. You could move that needle to about another 9.3 million if you cut Sorensen, Erving, and Colquitt, which I would. That's about 44/45 million to work with.

Even if you re-sign Mahomes, and considering the way recent deals have been done, his cap hit probably goes up no more than 4 million in 2020. Assume Jones costs you 17 in year 1, then you should have about 23/24 million to sign some people.

I think you tread lightly in free agency. I probably bring back Breeland and that I'm guessing is in the range of 8 million. Then, I'm bringing back Ogbah for probably 6 million. Probably around 10/11 million left.

Probably can get a Mo Claiborne-type corner for 2 million and sign your ERFAs which takes up about another 2.5 million. You need a few million for the draft class so you're pretty well at the limit of spending because you want to have that 4-5 million buffer for injuries. Have a good draft and bring in some UDFAs or minimum vets.

Can't really predict the draft but I'm comfortable enough saying that there will be linebackers, corners, and offensive lineman that could all play in the first three rounds of the draft next year. I don't think you lock in on a position.

I don't know if there's a first-round linebacker, and if there is it's probably Simmons if he comes out and then maybe Murray. That said, there's some guys I like out there like Bachie, Fisher, and Weaver that might be 2nd to 4th guys depending. Weaver reminds me alot of Schobert, transitioning from a pass rusher to a hell of a good linebacker. I know I wouldn't waste picks to go up and get a guy there though. Take what comes to you.
kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 07:39 AM   #21
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kccrow View Post

That said, I'm estimating in saying the Chiefs should roll over about 20 million, have about 1 million in space and can cut Watkins for 14 million. You could move that needle to about another 9.3 million if you cut Sorensen, Erving, and Colquitt, which I would. That's about 44/45 million to work with.

Even if you re-sign Mahomes, and considering the way recent deals have been done, his cap hit probably goes up no more than 4 million in 2020. Assume Jones costs you 17 in year 1, then you should have about 23/24 million to sign some people.

I think you tread lightly in free agency. I probably bring back Breeland and that I'm guessing is in the range of 8 million. Then, I'm bringing back Ogbah for probably 6 million. Probably around 10/11 million left.

Probably can get a Mo Claiborne-type corner for 2 million and sign your ERFAs which takes up about another 2.5 million. You need a few million for the draft class so you're pretty well at the limit of spending because you want to have that 4-5 million buffer for injuries. Have a good draft and bring in some UDFAs or minimum vets.

Can't really predict the draft but I'm comfortable enough saying that there will be linebackers, corners, and offensive lineman that could all play in the first three rounds of the draft next year. I don't think you lock in on a position.

I don't know if there's a first-round linebacker, and if there is it's probably Simmons if he comes out and then maybe Murray. That said, there's some guys I like out there like Bachie, Fisher, and Weaver that might be 2nd to 4th guys depending. Weaver reminds me alot of Schobert, transitioning from a pass rusher to a hell of a good linebacker. I know I wouldn't waste picks to go up and get a guy there though. Take what comes to you.
I think you'd have to strongly consider rolling the dice on Dylan Moses should he make it to your spot without someone else taking that chance. If healthy, he's probably a top ten pick. If he made it to the low 20's due to the knee, I think you have to take him.

Other than that, we are in dire need of rebuilding the offensive line.

Other than THAT, and given the defensive overhaul and their improvement, I'd be okay with MOSTLY standing pat there as much as it makes financial sense to.
Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-02-2019, 04:00 AM   #22
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kccrow View Post
I guess I phrased this poorly, I very much meant "If I was forcing you to do a mock which included Jones being re-signed, how would you feel about the rest of the roster, FA and the draft" rather than "If the Chiefs are forced to keep Jones..."

I agree the Chiefs are never forced to do anything, stellar play from Jones increases his tag and trade value so the more you are "giving up", the more you are getting back in picks, hopefully at least.
Old 11-02-2019, 04:04 AM   #23
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Meck View Post
Other than that, we are in dire need of rebuilding the offensive line.
I'm not quite sure I'd call it dire? The starting tackles are still under contract and both still look good, we need a swing tackle or a tackle of the future but I wouldn't call that need dire.

The interior is a bit more of a problem, but again not really dire. The thing killing us has been the depth guys struggling at times. I hope Wisniewski gets a start this week so we get a good look at him, I have a feeling he might be good and that would solve some of the problems.
Old 11-02-2019, 07:48 AM   #24
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargem View Post
I'm not quite sure I'd call it dire? The starting tackles are still under contract and both still look good, we need a swing tackle or a tackle of the future but I wouldn't call that need dire.

The interior is a bit more of a problem, but again not really dire. The thing killing us has been the depth guys struggling at times. I hope Wisniewski gets a start this week so we get a good look at him, I have a feeling he might be good and that would solve some of the problems.
Oh I think it's a pretty serious problem. Particularly left guard.
Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:16 PM   #25
Andy Reid Supporter

Would you rather extend Jones or Ward and Ogbah?
RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:08 PM   #26
In Search of a Life

Ogbah is a guy you let fetch a good comp pick if he isn't near league min and I don't think Ward or Jones is a choice. If you like Ward and Jones, you can keep both.
BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old 11-10-2019, 03:56 AM   #27
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunKC View Post
Would you rather extend Jones or Ward and Ogbah?
I think KCCrow had Ogbah given the same kind of deal as Okafor got, and I think that makes a lot of sense. He looks good but he's not racking up the eye catching stats despite playing well, assuming Clark and/or Okafor return to health and play a lot Ogbah is going to be known as a rotational piece, doubt someone goes crazy over him?
Old 11-11-2019, 07:31 PM   #28
Andy Reid Supporter

It’s simple math. We paid Justin Houston a ton and he got hurt. Huge blow. Then we paid Eric Berry and he got hurt. Another big blow. Now we pay Frank Clark and he is hurt. Another critical blow.

Sorry but the risk analysis just isn’t there for me. I want volume full of good players. Ward and Ogbah are good players. Extend those guys and try to find a value LB or RB and have a 2nd rd pick (maybe more) to keep adding players.

Give me 3 known good players on smaller deals for the same money as Jones + the high draft pick.
RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.