Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 11-30-2018, 02:22 PM  
hoc impetu faciendo non stabit

Alaska Earthquake

7.0 Pretty bad.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/scien...=.b82d0c4b415a

ANCHORAGE — An intense earthquake struck the Anchorage area Friday morning, causing severe shaking and damage and triggering fears of a tsunami.

The magnitude-7 quake occurred at 8:29 a.m., local time, the epicenter just north of Anchorage. Moments later, the National Weather Service issued a tsunami warning for Cook Inlet and South Kenai Peninsula. The warning was canceled shortly after 10 a.m.

The Anchorage Police Department said the earthquake caused “major infrastructure damage” across the city, which is home to more than 294,000 people.

“Many homes and buildings are damaged,” the department said in a statement Friday morning. “Many roads and bridges are closed. Stay off the roads if you don’t need to drive.”

Police officers were dispatched across the region to handle “multiple situations,” the department said, although it did not elaborate beyond saying it was working with the school district to check on children there.

A journalist with the news station KTVA shared a photo of the damage in that newsroom, where pieces of the ceiling had apparently fallen on desks and the floor.

Several photos on Twitter showed major damage to roads around Anchorage, with buckled and broken asphalt.

fter the quake, Alaska state troopers were “responding to calls for service and unconfirmed reports of damage,” said Jonathon Taylor, a spokesman for the state’s Department of Public Safety.

Former Alaska governor Sarah Palin tweeted that while her “family is intact,” their “house is not.”

The Anchorage School District did not report damage to its buildings but said that parents could pick up children “when they feel it is safe to do so.”
Linton Thompson, the principal of Sand Lake School, was at a training with 50 other elementary school principals at Wayland Baptist Church when the earthquake began. He and many others ran outside, while others sheltered under desks in the conference room where the training was being held. When the shaking stopped, “every principal in that building went 100 different ways,” Thompson said.
NinerDoug is obviously part of the inner Circle.NinerDoug is obviously part of the inner Circle.NinerDoug is obviously part of the inner Circle.NinerDoug is obviously part of the inner Circle.NinerDoug is obviously part of the inner Circle.NinerDoug is obviously part of the inner Circle.NinerDoug is obviously part of the inner Circle.NinerDoug is obviously part of the inner Circle.NinerDoug is obviously part of the inner Circle.NinerDoug is obviously part of the inner Circle.NinerDoug is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-30-2018, 02:26 PM   #2
I'm with the banned.

An hour and a half in, there were no reported deaths.

I've been in touch with a friend who lives—for the next five days—in Anchorage. He's moving to Denver Wednesday. I expect locusts to arrive with him.
ClevelandBronco is obviously part of the inner Circle.ClevelandBronco is obviously part of the inner Circle.ClevelandBronco is obviously part of the inner Circle.ClevelandBronco is obviously part of the inner Circle.ClevelandBronco is obviously part of the inner Circle.ClevelandBronco is obviously part of the inner Circle.ClevelandBronco is obviously part of the inner Circle.ClevelandBronco is obviously part of the inner Circle.ClevelandBronco is obviously part of the inner Circle.ClevelandBronco is obviously part of the inner Circle.ClevelandBronco is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-30-2018, 02:49 PM   #3
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandBronco View Post
An hour and a half in, there were no reported deaths.

I've been in touch with a friend who lives—for the next five days—in Anchorage. He's moving to Denver Wednesday. I expect locusts to arrive with him.

Damn.....The Wife and I were in Alaska 2 months ago.....Geezzz....best wishes for everyone!
Randallflagg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Randallflagg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Randallflagg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Randallflagg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Randallflagg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Randallflagg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Randallflagg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Randallflagg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Randallflagg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Randallflagg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Randallflagg is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-30-2018, 02:56 PM   #4
MVP

Quick, somebody check on the Kilchers
Graystoke is obviously part of the inner Circle.Graystoke is obviously part of the inner Circle.Graystoke is obviously part of the inner Circle.Graystoke is obviously part of the inner Circle.Graystoke is obviously part of the inner Circle.Graystoke is obviously part of the inner Circle.Graystoke is obviously part of the inner Circle.Graystoke is obviously part of the inner Circle.Graystoke is obviously part of the inner Circle.Graystoke is obviously part of the inner Circle.Graystoke is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-30-2018, 03:16 PM   #5
Veteran

It was pretty damn bad. No family was injured and our house sustained minor damage, although it threw stuff off the walls, out of book shelves and off tables. It as hard to stand up.

Could have been worse. I can honestly say that feeling of helplessness is really terrifying. All you can do is just get away.

All morning there are aftershocks of varying intensity. Every time you feel one you wonder if this is another major one or will it just jostle the sofa. I’d say we haven’t done 20 minutes without some type of aftershock.

Last edited by frozenchief; 11-30-2018 at 03:22 PM.. Reason: Update.
frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 3 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 03:27 PM   #6
Psycho Bag Of Squanch

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenchief View Post
It was pretty damn bad. No family was injured and our house sustained minor damage, although it threw stuff off the walls, out of book shelves and off tables. It as hard to stand up.

Could have been worse. I can honestly say that feeling of helplessness is really terrifying. All you can do is just get away.

All morning there are aftershocks of varying intensity. Every time you feel one you wonder if this is another major one or will it just jostle the sofa. I’d say we haven’t done 20 minutes without some type of aftershock.
Stay safe out there.
vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-30-2018, 03:31 PM   #7
Plays to win the game!

What the frack?!
Gravedigger Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Gravedigger Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Gravedigger Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Gravedigger Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Gravedigger Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Gravedigger Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Gravedigger Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Gravedigger Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Gravedigger Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Gravedigger Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Gravedigger Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 11-30-2018, 04:28 PM   #8
MVP

Quote:

Whoa! Be safe,
Graystoke is obviously part of the inner Circle.Graystoke is obviously part of the inner Circle.Graystoke is obviously part of the inner Circle.Graystoke is obviously part of the inner Circle.Graystoke is obviously part of the inner Circle.Graystoke is obviously part of the inner Circle.Graystoke is obviously part of the inner Circle.Graystoke is obviously part of the inner Circle.Graystoke is obviously part of the inner Circle.Graystoke is obviously part of the inner Circle.Graystoke is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-30-2018, 04:30 PM   #9
It's Five O'Clock Somewhere

Quote:

Yeah I was thinking about you when I caught the story earlier today. I'm glad to hear you can through it relatively unscathed. Hope the house isn't too messed up.
Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-30-2018, 04:40 PM   #10
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS

Quote:

Glad you're okay. I guess that's the one major drawback to living up there.
Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-30-2018, 04:47 PM   #11
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwana View Post
Yeah I was thinking about you when I caught the story earlier today. I'm glad to hear you can through it relatively unscathed. Hope the house isn't too messed up.
We spent about an hour cleaning. Fair amount of broken glass. We had a glass pitcher on top of the fridge that was thrown off and smashed so glass throughout the kitchen from that and other things. But the quake was moving the fridge enough to shake that off.

The first aftershock was about 7 minutes later and it was a 5.8. We’ve had three aftershocks > 5.0 this morning.

So after cleaning up and making sure everyone was safe, I did what Alaskans do: went to the bar and grabbed lunch.

Thanks for the thoughts and prayers.

Last edited by frozenchief; 11-30-2018 at 04:48 PM.. Reason: Typo
frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-30-2018, 04:49 PM   #12
Would an idiot do that?

Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-30-2018, 04:55 PM   #13
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat View Post

I’ve been in that courthouse more than I can count. They built it in 1997 and there are diagonal support beams built into it for earthquake protection. Even then that building shook like a dog shitting razor blades, as a buddy of mine says. Extensive damage to road and structures. Weird part is that one house is fine and building next door is really damaged.

Multiple water main breaks in Anchorage. It’s below freezing. Anchorage gets water from a lake (Eklutna) that can supply the town for a good long time but authorities are worried about so much water in freezing temperatures so they are considering shutting water off to the whole town.

I am on my own well. My water is still good so I wouldn’t be affected.
Old 11-30-2018, 05:03 PM   #14
Live free or die hard

I hope you went for the 4WD option.

Glad your well FrozenChief!!!
Otter is obviously part of the inner Circle.Otter is obviously part of the inner Circle.Otter is obviously part of the inner Circle.Otter is obviously part of the inner Circle.Otter is obviously part of the inner Circle.Otter is obviously part of the inner Circle.Otter is obviously part of the inner Circle.Otter is obviously part of the inner Circle.Otter is obviously part of the inner Circle.Otter is obviously part of the inner Circle.Otter is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-30-2018, 05:10 PM   #15
pie is never free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graystoke View Post
Quick, somebody check on the Kilchers
Except for Jewel, we can only hope a sinkhole got her
Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.