Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 12-02-2020, 12:00 PM  
Psycho Bag Of Squanch

Emotional support animals will no longer be considered service animals on flights

Fair, and overdue, IMHO. My only concern is for military vets who need emo support animals for PTSD. Hopefully it will be made easy for them to get certified. No restrictions on breed, which is a little surprising.

Emotional support animals will no longer be considered service animals on flights, DOT decides

The U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) has announced that emotional support animals will no longer be considered service animals on flights, updating its final rule on the controversial travel topic.

DOT shared the news in a Wednesday news release, explaining that the revision to the Air Carrier Access Act followed over 15,000 comments on the proposal, which was first pitched in January.

“The final rule announced today addresses concerns raised by individuals with disabilities, airlines, flight attendants, airports, other aviation transportation stakeholders, and other members of the public, regarding service animals on aircraft,” the agency said.

Now, the DOT will define a service animal as "a dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of a person with a disability.”

While the DOT "no longer considers an emotional support animal to be a service animal,” the department will require airlines to “treat psychiatric service animals the same as other service animals.”

Moving forward, the department is allowing airlines to require DOT-approved forms affirming a service animal's health, behavior and training before travel, and allowing carriers to cap the number of service animals traveling with a single passenger at two.

In addition, the DOT has given airlines the OK to require a service animal to fit within its handler’s foot space on the airplane, and mandate that the animal be harnessed, leashed, or tethered at all times on the plane and within the airport during the travel journey.

The DOT further supports a carrier’s agency in refusing transport to service animals acting aggressively, while barring airlines from refusing to transport a service animal based on breed.

The subject of emotional support and service animals on airplanes was a major travel news topic of 2018, after an emotional support peacock named Dexter and his owner were denied boarding on a United Airlines flight. Months later, a French bulldog died in the high skies after being accidentally placed into an overhead bin by a United Airlines flight attendant for the duration of the trip. From there, emotional support cats, squirrels and hamsters continued to make headlines and spark debate.

Various carriers have since tightened the leash on their respective rules regarding the transportation of both emotional support and service animals; the DOT’s latest update will be a game changer for policy.

https://www.foxnews.com/travel/dot-s...nimals-flights
vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-02-2020, 12:03 PM   #2
He's Mahomie!

Even if the pet wears a mask?
MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 1     Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 12:15 PM   #3
The Maintenance Guy

They shouldn't be, period. But it's a start I suppose.
Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 1     Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 12:16 PM   #4
NFL's #1 Ermines Fan

Get those m***********g snakes off those m***********g planes.
Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 6 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 12:17 PM   #5
'Tis my eye!

The problem with "service" animals is that it isn't tightly regulated.

You can get a smock online, slap it on your dog, and take it anywhere. Nobody can do anything about it for fear of the backlash.

SERVICE animals need to be trained and certified. That fixes the problem.
htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 4 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 12:18 PM   #6
It was not a fair catch

What am I going to do without my emotional aardvark?
displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 12:19 PM   #7
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by htismaqe View Post

You can get a smock online, slap it on your dog, and take it anywhere. Nobody can do anything about it for fear of the backlash.

The issue in California is that the police and/or any government officials aren't allowed to ask the person if their service animal is actually a service animal due to privacy laws.

I've run into this problem at Lake Hollywood this year because due to the pandemic, it's become a hotspot for families, joggers and walkers who often times bring their huge or small dogs with them at the lake, which is prohibited by law.

But the security guards aren't allowed to ask for proof, so it's become a disaster.
DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-02-2020, 12:22 PM   #8
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by displacedinMN View Post
What am I going to do without my emotional aardvark?
I know of a woman who can get you some emotional support crabs.
Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
Old 12-02-2020, 12:25 PM   #9
New and Improved

I have an emotional support snake in my pants.
stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-02-2020, 12:25 PM   #10
Psycho Bag Of Squanch

Quote:
Originally Posted by htismaqe View Post

I know more people than I care to admit who do exactly that. To the point where if you fly commercial it's a negative status mark to fly without one. Yes, they are all women. They get the forms from a Psych doc, aren't patients of, and pay once a year to renew.

Hopefully these new requirements will curb a lot of those loopholes:

Now, the DOT will define a service animal as "a dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of a person with a disability.”

The department is allowing airlines to require DOT-approved forms affirming a service animal's health, behavior and training before travel,
vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-02-2020, 12:26 PM   #11
In Search of a Life

Am I supposed to take my pony on the train now?
suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-02-2020, 12:27 PM   #12
Psycho Bag Of Squanch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud View Post
The issue in California is that the police and/or any government officials aren't allowed to ask the person if their service animal is actually a service animal due to privacy laws.

I've run into this problem at Lake Hollywood this year because due to the pandemic, it's become a hotspot for families, joggers and walkers who often times bring their huge or small dogs with them at the lake, which is prohibited by law.

But the security guards aren't allowed to ask for proof, so it's become a disaster.
I wonder if the federal DOT laws will override those local laws, especially for interstate travel?
Old 12-02-2020, 12:27 PM   #13
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by vailpass View Post
I know more people than I care to admit who do exactly that. To the point where if you fly commercial it's a negative status mark to fly without one. Yes, they are all women. They get the forms from a Psych doc, aren't patients of, and pay once a year to renew.

Hopefully these new requirements will curb a lot of those loopholes:

The department is allowing airlines to require DOT-approved forms affirming a service animal's health, behavior and training before travel,
I had a dude across from me cuddling with two cats the whole flight.
suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-02-2020, 12:28 PM   #14
Psycho Bag Of Squanch

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzzer99 View Post
I had a dude across from me cuddling with two cats the whole flight.
I mean, I'm not anti-cat, but bro...
Plus from what I've seen those unpredictable bastards are anything but calming.
Old 12-02-2020, 12:33 PM   #15
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vailpass View Post
I wonder if the federal DOT laws will override those local laws, especially for interstate travel?
Privacy laws are very important in California so there may be a court battle on the horizon. I don't fly as much as I did pre-kids and while I'd see people, generally females, with tiny dogs in their carry-on bags or even purses, I'd never had or seen a problem with animals on flights.

My biggest issue with flying now will be obtaining a Read ID. I just can't freaking believe that to fly, I'll need to either renew my passport or take my birth certificate and Social Security card to the DMV to apply and pay for a Read ID, just to travel domestically.

It's a load of horseshit.
DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.