Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 02-26-2020, 10:28 PM  
MVP

***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***

A couple of reminders...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwana View Post
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartgod View Post
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

Last edited by Bearcat; 03-25-2020 at 08:56 AM.. Reason: adding spoiler tag
JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:05 AM   #10966
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAUTO View Post
thats what is super scary to me. their numbers are going up while testing less percentage of the people showing symptoms.

thats my point in all this donger
During this transition stage towards doing less testing, this also might not show up immediately in the numbers since I am guessing their could be a 1-2 day lag from when someone was tested, test results were known, and test results were submitted to the State. Numbers today could very well reflect when full blown testing was being done, or at a minimum, the numbers today has a good percentage of the reported totals when greater testing was in place. Just like the social distancing, I am guessing we need to give time to see the effects if any.
kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 10:06 AM   #10967
Now you've pissed me off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
I don't disagree with any of this. I'm simply saying all sides have to be heard in these discussions.

You speak to the long-term impacts being felt for years, I think that will be even MORE stark in mental health instances. Or family stability. I don't think this is political but it does come in part from my ideology - I think family stability is absolutely massive in long-term health and education outcomes (which then drive further positive outcomes across the board). I think the data on that is largely unassailable. Much of this comes from families that have the financial wherewithal to provide; we all know that money troubles are HUGE forces in family instability.

When you start to impact a family's ability to provide and start to shake their family dynamics at their cores, that has immense long-term impact. Many, if not most, will eventually rebound to normalcy. But many will not. And those impacts will be felt for years. Potentially generations.

Almost certainly moreso than losing a grandparent would.

My sister's an emergency room physician in Houston. My wife's an NP at University Hospital. Shit, anyone who lives in Columbia has connections with dozens of front-line healthcare workers. Virtually every one of my friends or their spouses works in healthcare in some way (I'm hard pressed to think of a single one who doesn't at the moment). I'm well aware of the fear they're facing and certainly endorse efforts to protect them.

But again, that cannot be the only place we make policy decisions from.
I agree that we can't be myopic in our viewpoint and I share most, if not all, of your sentiments. These are all bad choices, the debate exists in degree.

My fear is that we end up with a half-assed measure that combines the economic destruction of a shutdown with the human destruction of near-unchecked spread because we couldn't commit to a decision for a sustainable period of time.
'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 3 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 10:07 AM   #10968
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedingRed View Post
This doesnt exist
Based on all the evidence suggesting it does exist?

https://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/35/11/2286
SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:07 AM   #10969
Please squeeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptlyon View Post
See, that's bullshit. How do they know it's Coronavirus and not the flu or a cold? That sways the numbers. And if they are doing it, how many others are counted like that.

MO had strict guidelines in order for you to get a test, like super strict.
dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:07 AM   #10970
Now you've pissed me off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk digler View Post
Thanks.

Yep. I have Type 2 and my A1c is 6.1 which isn't bad. I am overweight at 185lbs but I am working on it. It is hard though because I am foodie.
That's really good control. Keep it up.
'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:08 AM   #10971
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Quote:
i agree here. but opening everything back up and spreading it further isnt going to do anyone's mental health any favors...
Who said just open everything up?

I'm saying our responses simply aren't nearly targeted enough. We're sweeping people up in this net who have no need to be. Not at this time.

And I think we're doing that in large part because we aren't focusing nearly enough on the negative outcomes of the decisions being made.

We're burning social capital on areas that don't need it right now. Keep that powder dry because you MAY need it in short order.

I don't care what NYC does - they're in the shit and whatever their local leadership decides to do is aces by me. But heavy-handed month-long, state wide shutdown orders being issued across the country right now are having impacts on millions of people who simply didn't need to take the hit yet. And by doing so, you're going to make things harder and harder on people that some are willing to consider mere collateral damage.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:09 AM   #10972
Mahomes: We Are All Witnesses

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk digler View Post
There is 2 types of diabetes, Type 1 being the worst and lots of people have it. I think it is mostly genetic.
The prevalence of Type 2 Diabetes is much greater than Type 1 Diabetes in the United States... 90-95% of diabetics in the US have Type 2.

Link: https://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/basics/type2.html
FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:09 AM   #10973
Shit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins View Post
I'm terribly sorry for this. That is awful.
oh man...you dont even know how ****ed up it was.

she couldnt just steal the narcotics for some reason, she didnt give her her other meds throughout the ordeal either...

i mean the seizure meds are bad enough and could kill her but no antibiotics made her go septic in a matter of days and then get endocarditis for the 2nd time. 6 weeks in ICU on a vent. 8 weeks getting iv antibiotics at home by mom got it mostly taken care of.
SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:10 AM   #10974
THIS .... IS... ARROWHEAD!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupDock View Post
Based on all the evidence suggesting it does exist?

https://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/35/11/2286
I can pull plenty of other source that say the opposite. Healthy food is cheap, but it isn't convenient
BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:11 AM   #10975
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88 View Post
The prevalence of Type 2 Diabetes is much greater than Type 1 Diabetes in the United States... 90-95% of diabetics in the US have Type 2.

Link: https://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/basics/type2.html
Yep. Lots of people posting incorrect information on Diabetes.
SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:11 AM   #10976

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins View Post
I agree that we can't be myopic in our viewpoint and I share most, if not all, of your sentiments. These are all bad choices, the debate exists in degree.

My fear is that we end up with a half-assed measure that combines the economic destruction of a shutdown with the human destruction of near-unchecked spread because we couldn't commit to a decision for a sustainable period of time.
And the flipside is that we come down too hard, don't get any kind of meaningful spread that allows people to recover and go back to work, and the timeline for this drags on indefinitely to little real public health benefit other than holding the water back for as long as possible. Which will still serve to drown everyone if/when the dam breaks.

I agree that everything involved in this conversation is a discussion of bad choices. But my point is that too many people are plugging their ears to an entire set of outcomes because they're more concerned by the other set. That's just not a viable method of making decisions.

It's impossible to find a balance if your thumb is on the scale.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:11 AM   #10977
THIS .... IS... ARROWHEAD!!!!

Quote:

she couldnt just steal the narcotics for some reason, she didnt give her her other meds throughout the ordeal either...

i mean the seizure meds are bad enough and could kill her but no antibiotics made her go septic in a matter of days and then get endocarditis for the 2nd time. 6 weeks in ICU on a vent. 8 weeks getting iv antibiotics at home by mom got it mostly taken care of.
She has been arrested, and charged with attempt murder correct?
BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:13 AM   #10978
Shit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
Who said just open everything up?

I'm saying our responses simply aren't nearly targeted enough. We're sweeping people up in this net who have no need to be. Not at this time.

And I think we're doing that in large part because we aren't focusing nearly enough on the negative outcomes of the decisions being made.

We're burning social capital on areas that don't need it right now. Keep that powder dry because you MAY need it in short order.

I don't care what NYC does - they're in the shit and whatever their local leadership decides to do is aces by me. But heavy-handed month-long, state wide shutdown orders being issued across the country right now are having impacts on millions of people who simply didn't need to take the hit yet. And by doing so, you're going to make things harder and harder on people that some are willing to consider mere collateral damage.
but IMO at least , you can lessen that hit in other places by shutting them down.

the incubation period is ****ing us in this instance. terribly bad. by the time the numbers are spiking it's spread so far it's almost impossible to get it reigned in.

if you wait to shut down you're probably ****ed
SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:15 AM   #10979
I love your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedingRed View Post
I can pull plenty of other source that say the opposite. Healthy food is cheap, but it isn't convenient
When you can get a full sized pizza for the price of a pint of strawberries, people will lean towards the unhealthy option.
Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:15 AM   #10980

Quote:

My memory is you live in a fairly small town, no? Not 1,000 by any means, but not 100,000 either.

I know there's increased discussion of opioid abuses in rural America but unless you spend time with people who live in a real small, insulated community, you don't realize just how pervasive drug abuse has become.

The little town where my buddy's farm is, where we used to go out and hang out with the locals and drink/fish/shoot in HS, I won't go into as an adult outside of heading into the local cafe or sale barn. It bubbles right under the surface but people are committing violent felonies for their fix. It's ****ing awful.

Sounds like some of that is at play here with your stealin' nurse. Sorry to hear about it. Such an odd thing for someone to become a pediatric nurse and then actively seek to hurt a child.