Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 11-18-2018, 05:22 PM  
Beyond the Rapids

"All-star" officiating crew for Rams-Chiefs game

NFL ups intensity with all-star officials for Rams-Chiefs game

Kevin Seifert
ESPN.com NFL Nation

The NFL took the unusual step this week of assigning an "all-star" officiating crew to the most highly anticipated game of the season, adding to the playofflike frenzy for Monday night's matchup between the Kansas City Chiefs and Los Angeles Rams.

Referee Clete Blakeman will work the game with only two members of his regular crew, umpire Ramon George and down judge Dana McKenzie. The other five officials -- including Jim Lapetina, who will handle replay -- were plucked from four other crews.

The approach is similar to how the NFL assigns officials to playoff games, a process that is based on performance and seniority rather than crew. But it is rarely, if ever, employed before the postseason. Officials typically work on the same eight-person crews throughout the regular season to maximize continuity and familiarity among members.

Individual crew members are occasionally juggled for health or scheduling reasons. But a series of actions this season have indicated the league is moving away from the consistent crew concept, in favor of a more aggressive administration of officiating. Earlier this season, the league bounced down judge Hugo Cruz among four crews before ultimately making him its first-ever official to be fired for performance during the season.

NFL spokesman Michael Signora confirmed Sunday that "there is a rotation amongst the crews throughout the season." Signora did not provide details on the decision to overhaul Blakeman's crew for Monday night's game.

An officiating source said Sunday that the five officials added to Monday night's crew are all highly respected and have performed well this season.

The Chiefs-Rams game, originally scheduled to be played in Mexico City before it was relocated to Los Angeles, is a rare matchup. Since 1970, there have been only four other games pitting teams with one or fewer losses this late in the season. And according to the Elias Sports Bureau, this is the latest matchup ever between two teams averaging at least 33 points per game.

The following is the full crew for Monday night's game, as listed on the official flip card published by the NFL, with the officials' permanent referee in parentheses:

Referee: Clete Blakeman

Umpire: Ramon George (Blakeman)

Down judge: Dana McKenzie (Blakeman)

Line judge: Rusty Baynes (John Hussey)

Field judge: Dale Shaw (Jerome Boger)

Side judge: Brad Freeman (Clay Martin)

Back judge: Tony Steratore (Boger)

Replay: Jim Lapetina (Brad Allen)

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...ff-rams-chiefs
Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-22-2018, 08:13 PM   #616
Andy Reid Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDayz View Post
They took a great QB at #10 and you're mad at me? Wow!

And my beliefs are a result of trying to figure out how the Hunt family could have failed in the business' ultimate goal, or even playing in it, for 48 years.

Why do you always dismiss those 48 years in your replies? If you don't you never type it. Just too painful? Leads you to conclusions that aren't comfortable? If your hero is Clark Hunt, what about the years between 1970 and when Clark took over in 2006/7? What happened in those 36 years? Just bad luck?
You really don’t know the answer to this question?

Really?
RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-22-2018, 08:13 PM   #617
WhatUneed2Hear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
That's a good point. So maybe the key isn't improving officiating, but being sure that it's consistent. I don't know if that's easier to solve, but it might be.
Half of the fight is actually fighting, something I have rarely seen from Reid or our players. Look at the Donkeys I can still hear them complaining about that call/non call against them vs us earlier this year. Oh ya the delay of game, the entire donkey collective let it known it was bs and was even heavily covered in the media for a few days.
Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-22-2018, 08:14 PM   #618
(Sir/Yes Sir/Aye Aye Sir)

Quote:
This is directed at everyone, but NJChiefsFan's comment made me think about it.

We know that no human being is perfect, so we can't reasonably expect 100 percent accuracy and consistency on officials' calls. If we fed truth serum to officials and then interviewed them, they'd admit on some calls that they messed up. Even if they don't, a detailed review would show errors on some calls.

So recognizing that we can't find a perfect official, what's the minimum accuracy rate that's acceptable? Is it 90%? 95%? 99%? 99.0%? Assume that these are errors that aren't corrected via review.
I'd like to ask them why a tug of the jersey in the secondary is a penalty and a spot foul, but jersey tugs on the O-line aren't, and why don't they call it when Chiefs defenders have the O-linemen's arms wrapped around their necks? And "I didn't see it" isn't OK, it's happen right in front of them, that's a lie. I know the answer is, "The NFL says it wants more scoring", we all know that, I just want to hear them admit it.
GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-22-2018, 08:14 PM   #619
Diablo Negro

Quote:
They took a great QB at #10 and you're mad at me? Wow!

And my beliefs are a result of trying to figure out how the Hunt family could have failed in the business' ultimate goal, or even playing in it, for 48 years.

Why do you always dismiss those 48 years in your replies? If you don't you never type it. Just too painful? Leads you to conclusions that aren't comfortable? If your hero is Clark Hunt, what about the years between 1970 and when Clark took over in 2006/7? What happened in those 36 years? Just bad luck?
My argument is simple, the Hunt's didn't "not try" they just didn't succeed.

You are literally a person who argues everything in hindsight as if its fact that backs your argument.

If you were a Dallas fan right now, I am 100% certain you would be bitching about their last 24 years of futility and claiming Jerry stopped trying to win after 1994.

Here is an idea, just enjoy the here and now and stop worrying about the past.
Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-22-2018, 08:15 PM   #620
Diablo Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunKC View Post

Really?
Seriously he has to ask, he doesn't get it.
Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-22-2018, 08:17 PM   #621
Diablo Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by -King- View Post
Hunt has thrown money at the best gm prospect at the time. When that didn't work, he threw money to get the best available coach. And the after that, he gave the go ahead to trade 2 first rounders for our franchise QB.

I don't see how you can criticize Hunt for anything. At worst, he's tried really hard for get us to a championship.
Posted via Mobile Device
Look at the response below yours.
Old 11-22-2018, 08:22 PM   #622

Quote:

Really?
No, I've only guessed at it, the Hunt family's leadership.
GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-22-2018, 08:30 PM   #623
Andy Reid Supporter

Quote:
No, I've only guessed at it, the Hunt family's leadership.
The Chiefs were very successful in the late 60’s and won a Super Bowl.

The closest the Chiefs have been to the Super Bowl since then was in 93 when they went to the AFC Championhip game.

What was the difference between those years in Chiefs history and the rest?
RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-22-2018, 08:51 PM   #624

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcellus View Post
My argument is simple, the Hunt's didn't "not try" they just didn't succeed.

You are literally a person who argues everything in hindsight as if its fact that backs your argument.

If you were a Dallas fan right now, I am 100% certain you would be bitching about their last 24 years of futility and claiming Jerry stopped trying to win after 1994.

Here is an idea, just enjoy the here and now and stop worrying about the past.
The Hunts have counted on that exact enthusiasm for 48 years. While we glibly live in the here and now, earlier this year (I suspect), they divvy'd-up and spend the loot the NFL provides them.

As for the Cowboys, that's not what I'm looking for, perhaps I'm just looking for something more than what he's doing.
Old 11-22-2018, 08:55 PM   #625

Quote:
The Chiefs were very successful in the late 60’s and won a Super Bowl.

The closest the Chiefs have been to the Super Bowl since then was in 93 when they went to the AFC Championhip game.

What was the difference between those years in Chiefs history and the rest?
I don't know.
Old 11-22-2018, 09:08 PM   #626
MVP

Quote:
I don't know.

HOF QB and lack of HOF QBs
ARROW2 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.ARROW2 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.ARROW2 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.ARROW2 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.ARROW2 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.ARROW2 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.ARROW2 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.ARROW2 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.ARROW2 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.ARROW2 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.ARROW2 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.
Old 11-22-2018, 09:33 PM   #627

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROW2 View Post
HOF QB and lack of HOF QBs
Certainly it's a plus (kind of a no-brainer "plus"), so why did the Hunts buck the system? Why did Clark continue the Hunt'ism until they drafted PM?

Super Bowl 1. Bart Starr (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 2. Bart Starr (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 3. Joe Namath (MVP), 0 TDs
Super Bowl 4. Len Dawson (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 5. John Unitas (Chuck Howley), 1 TD
Super Bowl 6. Roger Staubach (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 7. Bob Griese (Jake Scott), 1 TD
Super Bowl 8. Bob Griese (Larry Csonka), 0 TDs
Super Bowl 9. Terry Bradshaw (Franco Harris), 1 TD
Super Bowl 10. Terry Bradshaw (Lynn Swann), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 11. Ken Stabler (Fred Biletnikoff), 1 TD
Super Bowl 12. Roger Staubach (Harvey Martin & Randy White), 1 TDs
Super Bowl 13. Terry Bradshaw (MVP), 4 TDs
Super Bowl 14. Terry Bradshaw (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 15. Jim Plunkett (MVP), 3 TDs
Super Bowl 16. Joe Montana (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 17. Joe Theismann (John Riggins), 2 TDs,
Super Bowl 18. Jim Plunkett (Marcus Allen), 1 TD
Super Bowl 19. Joe Montana (MVP), 3 TDs
Super Bowl 20. Jim McMahon (Richard Dent), 0 TDs
Super Bowl 21. Phil Simms (MVP), 3 TDs
Super Bowl 22. Doug Williams (MVP), 4 TDs
Super Bowl 23. Joe Montana (Jerry Rice), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 24. Joe Montana (MVP), 5 TDs
Super Bowl 25. Jeff Hostetler (Ottis Anderson), 1 TD
Super Bowl 26. Mark Rypien (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 27. Troy Aikman (MVP), 4 TDs
Super Bowl 28. Troy Aikman (Emmitt Smith), O TDs
Super Bowl 29. Steve Young (MVP), 6 TDs
Super Bowl 30. Troy Aikman (Larry Brown), 1 TD
Super Bowl 31. Brett Favre (Desmond Howard), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 32. John Elway (Terrell Davis), 0 TDs
Super Bowl 33. John Elway (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 34. Kurt Warner (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 35. Trent Dilfer (Ray Lewis), 1 TD
Super Bowl 36. Tom Brady (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 37. Brad Johnson (Dexter Jackson), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 38. Tom Brady (MVP), 3 TDs
Super Bowl 39. Tom Brady (Deion Branch), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 40. Ben Roethlisberger (Hines Ward), 0 TDs
Super Bowl 41. Peyton Manning (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 42. Eli Manning (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 43: Ben Roethlisberger (Santonio Holmes), 1 TD
Super Bowl 44: Drew Brees (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 45: Aaron Rogers (MVP), 3TDs
Super Bowl 46: Eli Manning (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 47: Joe Flacco (MVP), 3TDs
Super Bowl 48: Russell Wilson (Malcolm Smith), 2TDs
Super Bowl 49: Tom Brady (MVP), 4TDs
Super Bowl 50: Peyton Manning (Von Miller), 0TDs
Super Bowl 51: Tom Brady (MVP), 2TDs
Old 11-23-2018, 12:40 AM   #628
I've Made a Huge Mistake

Quote:
That's a good point. So maybe the key isn't improving officiating, but being sure that it's consistent. I don't know if that's easier to solve, but it might be.
I also think sometimes we assume refs enjoy calling in favor of the offense. The league creates the new rules. The refs get stuck trying to make black and white calls on grey rules. The unfair advantage for the wr drives me nuts at times.

Again maybe I'm in the minority but if I heard a guy, or the league, just admit when the call got ****ed up I would move on easier. NHL does it sometimes. NFL does it once in a blue moon.

Like when the ump admitted he screwed up the white Sox no hitter a few years back. I went from blasting the guy to respecting him. Same thing when I'm coaching baseball. Ump tells me he missed a call, I don't have much left to say.

It's when they won't talk to each other or to the coach, when they won't explain themselves or know the rules that I get mad.

Like tripplett. I don't care that a ref screws up. But this guy is in a game he doesn't deserve to be in and seems to care little that he royally blew a call. He just rides into the sunset. If he said "damn I can't believe my last act as a ref included that call", I could actually let it go. Nope. Nothing from him or the league.
NJChiefsFan has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.NJChiefsFan has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.NJChiefsFan has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.NJChiefsFan has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.NJChiefsFan has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.NJChiefsFan has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.NJChiefsFan has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.NJChiefsFan has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.NJChiefsFan has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.NJChiefsFan has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.NJChiefsFan has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
Old 11-23-2018, 12:50 AM   #629
Shaken. Not stirred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan View Post
I also think sometimes we assume refs enjoy calling in favor of the offense. The league creates the new rules. The refs get stuck trying to make black and white calls on grey rules. The unfair advantage for the wr drives me nuts at times.

Again maybe I'm in the minority but if I heard a guy, or the league, just admit when the call got ****ed up I would move on easier. NHL does it sometimes. NFL does it once in a blue moon.

Like when the ump admitted he screwed up the white Sox no hitter a few years back. I went from blasting the guy to respecting him. Same thing when I'm coaching baseball. Ump tells me he missed a call, I don't have much left to say.

It's when they won't talk to each other or to the coach, when they won't explain themselves or know the rules that I get mad.

Like tripplett. I don't care that a ref screws up. But this guy is in a game he doesn't deserve to be in and seems to care little that he royally blew a call. He just rides into the sunset. If he said "damn I can't believe my last act as a ref included that call", I could actually let it go. Nope. Nothing from him or the league.
NFL refs just walk around looking everywhere but the sidelines on questionable calls. Sorry, didn't hear a word you said.
007 is obviously part of the inner Circle.007 is obviously part of the inner Circle.007 is obviously part of the inner Circle.007 is obviously part of the inner Circle.007 is obviously part of the inner Circle.007 is obviously part of the inner Circle.007 is obviously part of the inner Circle.007 is obviously part of the inner Circle.007 is obviously part of the inner Circle.007 is obviously part of the inner Circle.007 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-23-2018, 09:07 AM   #630
Supporter

Quote:
"Professionally" Why does that always mean "take it in the ass, don't whine, and don't do anything about it"? The man/men at the top seem to have let their "professionalism" get us to 48 years of no SB. Perhaps they might try something other than letting their team get ****ed while they walk away with millions upon millions. Unfortunately your description of professional and people who don't give a shit just happen to present themselves exactly the same.
I can see where you would like for Clark Hunt to rant and rave, pound his shoe on the table. That would clearly appeal to you.

For you to state that he doesn't care, is at the minimum a very poor observation.

If he didn't care, he would not have spent the kind of money hiring what seemed to be the best available GMs and HCs over the years.

You have no idea what he does or says to the NFL behind closed doors or in private.
HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.