Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 04-29-2024, 06:28 PM  
Be Kind To Your Pets

CBS cuts Boomer and Simms Loose

Apologies if posted earlier. They're both out for 2024. Their contracts expired and were not picked up.

https://sports.yahoo.com/cbs-makes-m...rc=fp_deeplink

CBS's iconic NFL pregame show will have a much different look this fall with two familiar faces leaving the set.

The network announced Monday that 2016 league MVP Matt Ryan will be joining the cast of "The NFL Today," while longtime veterans Phil Simms and Boomer Esiason will not be returning.

Ryan, who led the Atlanta Falcons to the Super Bowl in his MVP season, officially announced his retirement from the NFL last week. He joined CBS Sports last season as an NFL game analyst and appeared in studio during the NFL playoffs and Super Bowl.

Simms' departure marks the end of an era for him at CBS. The former New York Giants quarterback, 68, served as lead game analyst for nearly 20 years before transitioning to the studio and working alongside Esiason, former Pittsburgh Steelers coach Bill Cowher, ex-wide receiver Nate Burleson and host James Brown.

Esiason, who played quarterback for 14 seasons with the Cincinnati Bengals, New York Jets and Arizona Cardinals, spent more than two decades on the "NFL Today" set, making him the show's longest-tenured analyst.

"More their decision than maybe mine," Esiason said on his New York radio show Monday morning. He will, however, continue his association with the network with the WFAN radio show also simulcast on the CBS Sports Network.

Both Esiason and Simms had their contracts expire after the Super Bowl. CBS chose not to renew them.

Ryan, 38, is one of only five players in NFL history to pass for at least 60,000 yards and win an MVP. He played 15 seasons with the Falcons and Indianapolis Colts from 2008-2022. He was selected to four Pro Bowls and led the Falcons to an NFC championship and an appearance in Super Bowl 51.

"I grew up watching the NFL Today so I’m honored to join this iconic show and hope to continue the high standard set by Phil, Boomer and others before me," Ryan said in a news release from CBS. "I am thankful for this exciting new opportunity and can’t wait to get started with my new teammates."
gblowfish is obviously part of the inner Circle.gblowfish is obviously part of the inner Circle.gblowfish is obviously part of the inner Circle.gblowfish is obviously part of the inner Circle.gblowfish is obviously part of the inner Circle.gblowfish is obviously part of the inner Circle.gblowfish is obviously part of the inner Circle.gblowfish is obviously part of the inner Circle.gblowfish is obviously part of the inner Circle.gblowfish is obviously part of the inner Circle.gblowfish is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-29-2024, 10:38 PM   #46
Has a particular set of skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by tredadda View Post
Ryan is a younger less blonde version of Boomer and Simms. Not sure he is an upgrade.
Glad those old farts are gone from TV. They brought nothing. Should have paid more for Jason Kelce and liven up that old show.
BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 11:09 PM   #47
Supporter

I’d rather listen to Boomer than Cowher. That guy hasn’t said anything of substance in 15 years.

I can’t believe mother****ers wanted him when we hired Reid.
Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 9 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 01:56 AM   #48
Starter

I’m dreading Tom Brady being at fox or wherever that is.
Fishels is not part of the Right 53.Fishels is not part of the Right 53.Fishels is not part of the Right 53.Fishels is not part of the Right 53.Fishels is not part of the Right 53.Fishels is not part of the Right 53.Fishels is not part of the Right 53.Fishels is not part of the Right 53.Fishels is not part of the Right 53.Fishels is not part of the Right 53.Fishels is not part of the Right 53.
Old 04-30-2024, 06:08 AM   #49
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedChief View Post
Glad those old farts are gone from TV. They brought nothing. Should have paid more for Jason Kelce and liven up that old show.
I think the network suits are too scared of unpredictability. They either want a suit who is careful about every word or someone off their rocker. It's easy to blame a crazy guy for saying crazy things. They don't like polished guys who can be predictable. Which is why mcafee took sports Media by storm
chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-30-2024, 06:21 AM   #50
You gotta kill a few people

Hell, I like Boomer.
ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-30-2024, 06:46 AM   #51
Bono & Grbac wasn't enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Cooper View Post
Aren't they the same person?
Funny. I thought the same thing
ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-30-2024, 07:19 AM   #52
Three-Pat

Quote:
Outside of salary, I am not sure Ryan is an upgrade either. Would have loved to see Jason Kelce on there though.
tredadda has disabled reputation
Old 04-30-2024, 07:45 AM   #53
On Hiatus

Quote:
I try to think of what redeeming value any of the crew from that show has...

Tired of Cowher's schtick....grizzled old defensive coach...

Simms and Boomer.....their supposed back and forth got old real quick. Nothing of value.

Nate Burleson is the "fluff" reporter telling all the "feel good" stories I really don't care to see.

Not sure I feel like Matt Ryan would provide anything more himself.

I guess JJ Watts staying is OK....
Mosbonian is too fat/Omaha.Mosbonian is too fat/Omaha.Mosbonian is too fat/Omaha.Mosbonian is too fat/Omaha.Mosbonian is too fat/Omaha.Mosbonian is too fat/Omaha.Mosbonian is too fat/Omaha.Mosbonian is too fat/Omaha.Mosbonian is too fat/Omaha.Mosbonian is too fat/Omaha.Mosbonian is too fat/Omaha.
Old 04-30-2024, 07:52 AM   #54
Veteran

I don't go out of my way to view pre-game pontificating - but catch some of it in the last 10 minutes before a game or between games. Both these guys are likable, but rarely add much insight. Phil S. is bland as mayo on white bread. Boomer is occassionaly interesting. As said, there are just too many commentators for any one of them to have time to be interesting.
Zebedee DuBois would the whole thing.Zebedee DuBois would the whole thing.Zebedee DuBois would the whole thing.Zebedee DuBois would the whole thing.Zebedee DuBois would the whole thing.Zebedee DuBois would the whole thing.Zebedee DuBois would the whole thing.Zebedee DuBois would the whole thing.Zebedee DuBois would the whole thing.Zebedee DuBois would the whole thing.Zebedee DuBois would the whole thing.
Old 04-30-2024, 08:17 AM   #55
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why Not? View Post
They need to axe most of these guys. All these shows do. I don't need 6 or 7 dudes or whatever to do a pre-game show. Give me 2 guys and move on.
Yes, NFL sets look like the head table at an Italian Wedding. They make about $640,000 per syllable. Less yammering, less TMZ, just show highlights, numbnuts.
Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.
Old 04-30-2024, 08:18 AM   #56
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMXcalibur View Post
The posterchildren for saying a whole lot of nothing.
Soooo...the network version of Adam Teicher and Frank Boal
Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.
Old 04-30-2024, 08:29 AM   #57
Facts are stubborn things.

People still watch these shows? These stiffs haven’t taught us anything since Al Gore invented* the internet.

I liked Sims as a color guy - haven’t watched enough of any studio show on any channel to have an opinion since the 90s. They bring nothing to the table.
warpaint* is too fat/Omaha.warpaint* is too fat/Omaha.warpaint* is too fat/Omaha.warpaint* is too fat/Omaha.warpaint* is too fat/Omaha.warpaint* is too fat/Omaha.warpaint* is too fat/Omaha.warpaint* is too fat/Omaha.warpaint* is too fat/Omaha.warpaint* is too fat/Omaha.warpaint* is too fat/Omaha.
Old 04-30-2024, 08:38 AM   #58
Mahomes > God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishels View Post
I’m dreading Tom Brady being at fox or wherever that is.
I am morbidly curious to see how he'll do broadcasting...I can see it going any number of ways.

He's also replacing Olsen who's pretty much beloved by everyone and seen as one of the best color guys on TV so there's that.
Jerm is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Jerm is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Jerm is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Jerm is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Jerm is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Jerm is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Jerm is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Jerm is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Jerm is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Jerm is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Jerm is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
Old 04-30-2024, 08:45 AM   #59
Bono & Grbac wasn't enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerm View Post
I am morbidly curious to see how he'll do broadcasting...
That'll go away quicker than a boner in a Turkish prison
ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-30-2024, 08:48 AM   #60
Has a particular set of skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 View Post
I think the network suits are too scared of unpredictability. They either want a suit who is careful about every word or someone off their rocker.
I get they have an audience from Alabama to NY to Utah etc. so I get playing the middle to not offend anyone. But, in doing that they create a very boring show, ESPN and the NFL networks morning shows are also playing nationally better and they seem to not be so boring.
BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.