Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 04-05-2017, 10:55 AM  
World's Best Boss

*** Official 2017 Royals Repository ***

Chiefsplanet’s (Proposed) 2017 Season Title: One Last Ride

Midish-Season Update (Royals 51-47, 2nd Wild Card, 1.5 GB of ALC):

We're halfway through 2017, and fittingly to the Chiefsplanet's 2017 Season Title, the Royals are all-in on what will likely be one final run with the current core. While many are worried the Royals will take a 2004 style tumble after this year, the farm system is hardly the barren wasteland it was during the Baird years. To see what's in the pipeline and what we have to look forward to, check out this exceptional list and analysis that Duncan put together of our system.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...htmlview#gid=0

While I had the honor of starting this thread this year, Duncan will always have a VIP pass to this OP, and can add more content at any time.

2017's Burning Questions Revisited:

1. What is the threshold between being “buyers” and “sellers” at the deadline?

We're buyers, baby.

In April, I argued that it would be a wise strategy for us to sell if we were 5 GB or worse, but that Dayton would likely add supplemental pieces for us to load up for another run if we were 1-2 GB. On July 24th, the Royals found themselves in sole possession of the 2nd wild card spot and 1.5 games back of the division. In April I said the Royals might pull the trigger on someone like Alex Cobb and resign Luke Hochevar, but since the Rays are also buyers and Luke's shoulder hasn't rebounded, this prediction hasn't come to fruition. Luckily, Dayton Moore again proved much more adept and creative than me by adding Trevor Cahill (good call, Duncan), Brandon Maurer and Ryan Buchter in a single trade. Giving us a solid starter to compete in 2017, and two relievers whom we will control through 2019 and 2021, respectively, keeping Moore's new vision through 2019-2020 intact. Moore has hinted that the Royals will continue to pursue the right deals if they're there, so the fun may not be over just yet. While we may not have the bullets to pull in a "star" like Cueto or Zo, Moore's adeptness may yet again net us what we need for another run in October.

2. Can Gordo and Moose bounce back to 2015 levels?

In April I asked if Gordo could at least set the table at a 265/325/425 clip and if Moose could deliver damage around a 265/335/500 clip for an entire year. This season Mr. Moustakas has been the prospect that was promised, delivering at a 277/307/568 clip as of this update. Gordo, on the other hand, has put up an unbelievably abysmal line thus far. But, if there is a silver lining, it's that Gordo has performed at a 246/311/432 line since June 1st, and if he can continue to perform near that mark, he will be more than a valuable asset at the bottom of the lineup while he continues to provide the best LF defense in the league.

3. Can Ned Yost manage a bullpen?

In April, I felt that despite the poor start, Royals bullpen would ultimately be "solid" this year, but the question was whether "solid" was good enough for Ned. I argued that the Royals needed Soria to bounce back and that Ned would need to start being strategic in his L/L and R/R matchups. While Ned has still made at times baffling and frustrating decisions with his starters (such as allowing Travis Wood to try to "get the win" and still insisting on sending Hammel out for the 6th, he's mostly done a good job).

MASH: Minor/Moylan - Alexander - Soria - Herrera (Credit to C3HIEF3S for the origins of the phrase) have cemented into reliable pieces, and now that Herrera is showing signs of stabilizing, our dumping of Wood, our call up Flynn, and the acquisition of Buchter and Maurer, the Royals have the potential to enter October with one of the best and deepest bullpens in the postseason.

4. Will the Royals find a boost from an unexpected X-Factor to lift them to contention?

Cool-Whit, Boni, Mike ****ing Minor, and Alexander have come up huge thus far. Cool Whit is, incredibly, is second on the team in WAR and has more than replaced Zo's presence on the team. They, like the X-Factors on the 2014-2015 teams, have been critical cogs as we've raced back to contention, while Cool-Whit and Boni also have provided a rosier outlook for this team's future. It's worth noting that Salvador Perez and Jason Vargas has been beasts on offense and the mound (along with Sal providing his customary defensive excellence), but I am still a bit wary of Salvy's annual Yost assisted offensive drought as the team moves into August, along with Vargy regressing to his averages.

5. Can Jorge Soler and Brandon Moss be productive contributors in Kauffman’s dimensions?

Ouch, no, but the Royals shift to power-hitting in the juiced ball era looks like one that will pay off. Thankfully, Moss is showing signs of entering his seasonal hot streak where he becomes corn-fed Jesus for a month, and we'll need him hot to keep up with Cleveland down the stretch. While Jorge has been painful to watch in the majors, his scorching performance in AAA should give one a bright hope for the future. While some may disagree, I offer Moose, Hos, Gordo, and Duffy's struggles as exhibit A for why it is far too early to give up on Soler's potential.

Bonus Question - Is Raul Mondesi truly ready to be an everyday player?

Ha! Not even close. However, like Soler, his progress in AAA is incredibly encouraging. With ceilings like Lindor and floors being Esky being thrown out there, it's hard not to be excited about his future.

The Picture Forward

There are many reasons to be excited, and not only for 2017. The Royals emergence of Cool Whit, Bonifacio, and Scott Alexander, and the fact that we have pieces like Salvador Perez, Danny Duffy, Kelvin Herrera, Jorge Soler, Ryan Buchter, Brandon Maurer Cheslor Cuthbert, and Raul Mondesi until at least 2019 should leave one feeling pretty optimistic. Re-up Moose or Hos (and heck, re-sign Dyson while we're at it), and suddenly this team looks very much like one that could compete for the indefinite future.

The Royals are all in again, buckle in and enjoy the ride.

April OP:

Spoiler!

Last edited by Chiefspants; 08-02-2017 at 01:53 PM..
Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:25 PM   #3976
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch View Post
Sell this shit team

They had a 10 game homestsnd vs losing teams to open up the 2H. Already face planted first 2. If they don't win 5/8 left, the team should be sold top to bottom

Relax- we are only 2 games out. So much baseball to be played yet.
Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:26 PM   #3977
Rabbi Goldmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
Royals said to be 'very aggressive' in their pursuit of Lance Lynn.

Eh. Cuthbert's been hurt all season and bad. Dozier's been hurt. The Cardinals don't need pitching unless it's righthanded bullpen help and if the Cards were looking short term well hell, they could just move Lynn to the 'pen.

Pitching salaries are crazy enough that the Cardinals could price-enforce Lynn into a likely sandwich pick this offseason. Offer him 4/$52 and he wouldn't take it, but it would be a starting point in negotiations and could yield him getting over that $50 million threshold (the only way he'd stay below it is if he took less term; 3/$48 or something like that). That being the case, the bare minimum return they should take is the rough value of that sandwich slot (so a fringe 1st round talent). If I'm the Royals I probably don't give that up.

Besides, the Royals SS and 1b cupboard is pretty bare. That's where the Cardinals really need help.

I'm honestly not sure I see a deal lining up here but baseball is weird so who knows?
Strahm straight up is FV but then, I really like Strahm.

The Cards aren't selling despite your protestations. Their FG playoff odds are actually better than the Royals (24% - 22%) so who exactly would be the seller there? The NL is hot dogshit outside 2 excellent teams.

What's Lynn's current value anyway? Pitch FX says his velocity is down 1-2mph and his FB value has gone from elite to good. Given his secondary stuff has always had slightly negative value, it may be fair to ask: did Lynns injury sap his FB veto or location or movement? If so he's JAG at the back of a rotation, Edinson Volquez redux
Prison Bitch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Prison Bitch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Prison Bitch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Prison Bitch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Prison Bitch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Prison Bitch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Prison Bitch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Prison Bitch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Prison Bitch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Prison Bitch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Prison Bitch is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:37 PM   #3978
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. View Post
That's crap, i didn't know you had to pay now, you used to be able to get in free.
They're usually done with BP by the time the gates open
and a lot of days like when it is really hot--they don't take BP on the field--they have indoor cages
SBInfinity < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.SBInfinity < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.SBInfinity < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.SBInfinity < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.SBInfinity < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.SBInfinity < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.SBInfinity < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.SBInfinity < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.SBInfinity < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.SBInfinity < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.SBInfinity < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:38 PM   #3979
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch View Post
Strahm straight up is FV but then, I really like Strahm.

The Cards aren't selling despite your protestations. Their FG playoff odds are actually better than the Royals (24% - 22%) so who exactly would be the seller there? The NL is hot dogshit outside 2 excellent teams.

What's Lynn's current value anyway? Pitch FX says his velocity is down 1-2mph and his FB value has gone from elite to good. Given his secondary stuff has always had slightly negative value, it may be fair to ask: did Lynns injury sap his FB veto or location or movement? If so he's JAG at the back of a rotation, Edinson Volquez redux
I agree. Lynn is a JAG at the back of a rotation. But the question isn't necessarily what I'd pay for him as much as what the market will bear for him.

That's why I say his value should start at roughly the compensation pick - I think he'll decline the QO and get the money he needs to break that $50 million threshold. As such, that's where any offer the Cardinals should consider needs to start. And if I'm the Royals, I wouldn't give up that much to get him.

As for the 'why', to me it's simple TJ rust. Everybody that comes back from TJ is 'getting to know' their arm again in that 1st year back. It doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things unless they're just hot garbage. Lynn isn't so that's a good sign going forward. I suspect he'll be back to where he was prior to the injury by next season.

But 'where he was' is still prone as hell to getting wrecked by lefties because he refuses to challenge them with fastballs at their hands and doesn't have the breaking pitch to beat them away. So he just nibbles till he walks them or feeds them a cockshot.

I was a huge Lynn fan about 3 years ago but he just never got over this LHH problem. That limits him to being a 3rd starter (4th on a very good squad). I'm not sure what value that truly has. Then again, Mike Leake got $80 million so one needn't be good to be expensive anymore.

And the Cards aren't selling because they're delusional. They aren't getting past the Dodgers or the Nats. And that's if they could even survive the D-Backs, Brewers, Rockies or this weird watered down version of the Cubs.

They have no business staying in this. The team isn't good enough.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-17-2017, 04:05 PM   #3980
Just here for the Royals

I'll be at the K tonight chilling in the Blue Moon Tap Room with Joe Randa, Mike Sweeney, and a few other lucky Royals Charity winners. Vargas on the mound tonight is simply icing on the cake.
Bufkin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bufkin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bufkin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bufkin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bufkin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bufkin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bufkin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bufkin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bufkin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bufkin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bufkin is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-17-2017, 04:07 PM   #3981
Damnit Peg

I'm glad I don't have to watch Soler play the rest of this season.
Al Bundy has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Al Bundy has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Al Bundy has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Al Bundy has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Al Bundy has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Al Bundy has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Al Bundy has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Al Bundy has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Al Bundy has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Al Bundy has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Al Bundy has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.
Old 07-17-2017, 04:14 PM   #3982
M-I-Z-Z-O-U

Quote:
I'm sure the Royals haven't soured on Mondesi at all, have they? He seems like a complete non-starter but would Lynn + DeJong get any traction?

DeJong's hit the hell out of the ball and played SS for the Cardinals for the last month. Full disclosure - I don't think that's his true talent level nor do I think he's an actual SS, but he can probably make himself almost league average defensively and even if he never draws walks, he'll always have 20 HR power.

So...maybe a 2-2.5 WAR player at SS? Give or take. And he'd be able to help the Royals right now if that's what they have in mind.

If I'm KC I don't even consider Mondesi as part of a Lynn deal but if I'm the Cardinals, I don't see a way to get a trade made that he's not a part of.

Mondesi is, if anything, more untouchable than he has been previously.

His success at AAA has cemented that.

I wouldn't trade him to headline a package for Jose Quintana or Sonny Gray. So I guess I'm in the same boat as the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-17-2017, 04:17 PM   #3983
M-I-Z-Z-O-U

As for Lopez... scouts I've seen on him from this season put an above-average glove on him. Pair that with good enough speed to steal 20 bags, and the ability to be a .280/.350/.375 bat, and you've got an above-average MLB regular.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-17-2017, 04:40 PM   #3984
Rabbi Goldmann

Quote:
I agree. Lynn is a JAG at the back of a rotation. But the question isn't necessarily what I'd pay for him as much as what the market will bear for him.

That's why I say his value should start at roughly the compensation pick - I think he'll decline the QO and get the money he needs to break that $50 million threshold. As such, that's where any offer the Cardinals should consider needs to start. And if I'm the Royals, I wouldn't give up that much to get him.
He'll get 50M so long as he doesn't miss much time the rest of the year. Guys who are proven starters will always get paid. Look how much Brett Anderson has stolen off of one or two sub-Lynn years.

Quote:
As for the 'why', to me it's simple TJ rust. Everybody that comes back from TJ is 'getting to know' their arm again in that 1st year back. It doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things unless they're just hot garbage. Lynn isn't so that's a good sign going forward. I suspect he'll be back to where he was prior to the injury by next season.
Highly probable

Quote:
But 'where he was' is still prone as hell to getting wrecked by lefties because he refuses to challenge them with fastballs at their hands and doesn't have the breaking pitch to beat them away. So he just nibbles till he walks them or feeds them a cockshot.

I was a huge Lynn fan about 3 years ago but he just never got over this LHH problem. That limits him to being a 3rd starter (4th on a very good squad). I'm not sure what value that truly has. Then again, Mike Leake got $80 million so one needn't be good to be expensive anymore.

And the Cards aren't selling because they're delusional. They aren't getting past the Dodgers or the Nats. And that's if they could even survive the D-Backs, Brewers, Rockies or this weird watered down version of the Cubs.

They have no business staying in this. The team isn't good enough.
Pfffft. The 2006 team was shit and they won it all. They had 2 stars and crap. They had teams the prior few years that were good enough so I don't knock 2006. But crazy shit happens in Oct
Prison Bitch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Prison Bitch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Prison Bitch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Prison Bitch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Prison Bitch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Prison Bitch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Prison Bitch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Prison Bitch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Prison Bitch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Prison Bitch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Prison Bitch is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-17-2017, 04:57 PM   #3985
LEGEND!

Per Bob Nightengale

The #Astros still favorites for #A's Sonny Gray, but #Royals very aggressive on him, #STLCards Lance Lynn,others
penbrook would the whole thing.penbrook would the whole thing.penbrook would the whole thing.penbrook would the whole thing.penbrook would the whole thing.penbrook would the whole thing.penbrook would the whole thing.penbrook would the whole thing.penbrook would the whole thing.penbrook would the whole thing.penbrook would the whole thing.
Old 07-17-2017, 04:58 PM   #3986
LEGEND!

What would it take to get a package deal for Justin Wilson and J.D Martinez
penbrook would the whole thing.penbrook would the whole thing.penbrook would the whole thing.penbrook would the whole thing.penbrook would the whole thing.penbrook would the whole thing.penbrook would the whole thing.penbrook would the whole thing.penbrook would the whole thing.penbrook would the whole thing.penbrook would the whole thing.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:07 PM   #3987
Rabbi Goldmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by penbrook View Post
What would it take to get a package deal for Justin Wilson and J.D Martinez
If you have to ask,you can't afford it - grandpa
Old 07-17-2017, 05:56 PM   #3988
LEGEND!

Per Rustin Dodd

Ned Yost has now twice said he believes Jorge Soler's offensive ceiling is a "Sano-type player". Once a few weeks ago, once today.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:11 PM   #3989
I’m a Mahomo!

Stealing money.
KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:13 PM   #3990
I’m a Mahomo!

KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.