Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 01-23-2011, 11:58 AM  
Seeking the Truth daily

Off Season Lets Talk Guns, Part 2

Been a while since we had a guns n' ammo discussion.

Some of you are AR shooters Im sure. Im looking at a Colt 6920. Will be my first AR. Picked up a Glock this fall and really enjoy shooting it. Any feedback on that weapon?

Anyone else been in a buy/sell/trade mood with hardware?

Last edited by Bearcat; 07-28-2015 at 05:52 PM..
HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-24-2020, 07:24 AM   #3301
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveSteam View Post
Good reading, RimfireCentral has been very informative as well.
F150 wants to die in a aids tree fire.F150 wants to die in a aids tree fire.F150 wants to die in a aids tree fire.F150 wants to die in a aids tree fire.F150 wants to die in a aids tree fire.F150 wants to die in a aids tree fire.F150 wants to die in a aids tree fire.F150 wants to die in a aids tree fire.F150 wants to die in a aids tree fire.F150 wants to die in a aids tree fire.F150 wants to die in a aids tree fire.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 08:18 AM   #3302
Supporter

Thompson Center makes a good 10/22 that has a lot of things already done for accuracy. If you are looking at buying one.
Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-28-2020, 12:17 AM   #3303
Fight, build, win!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac459 View Post
Thompson Center makes a good 10/22 that has a lot of things already done for accuracy. If you are looking at buying one.
Have a Thompson Center single shot in 7mm mag its a tack driver for sure. One shot one kill.

Its a beautiful rifle just like this one. I always wanted a Contender for handgun hunting but never got that one done.

srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-28-2020, 03:20 PM   #3304
Elway be drinkin' again

Got a couple of IWI products last week.
TS12 and Galil Ace 556

The gold gun is a Desert Eagle 50 from Magnum Research. Bought it for my very first employee who retired this past Friday. He is moving to the western slope. Real Gun Guy.
He had tears in his eyes when he opened the box. He reloads most of his ammo and when he was leaving he said "Now I need to go buy dies for 50 AE". I guess he will be shootin' it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	couple new toys.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	121076  
Shiver Me Timbers wants to die in a aids tree fire.Shiver Me Timbers wants to die in a aids tree fire.Shiver Me Timbers wants to die in a aids tree fire.Shiver Me Timbers wants to die in a aids tree fire.Shiver Me Timbers wants to die in a aids tree fire.Shiver Me Timbers wants to die in a aids tree fire.Shiver Me Timbers wants to die in a aids tree fire.Shiver Me Timbers wants to die in a aids tree fire.Shiver Me Timbers wants to die in a aids tree fire.Shiver Me Timbers wants to die in a aids tree fire.Shiver Me Timbers wants to die in a aids tree fire.
Old 08-28-2020, 04:44 PM   #3305
In my youth i pray to keep

Just got an email from Windham Weaponry with a tracking #.

I guess in the current climate, getting an AR for under $1000 is decent deal.
bdj23 is obviously part of the inner Circle.bdj23 is obviously part of the inner Circle.bdj23 is obviously part of the inner Circle.bdj23 is obviously part of the inner Circle.bdj23 is obviously part of the inner Circle.bdj23 is obviously part of the inner Circle.bdj23 is obviously part of the inner Circle.bdj23 is obviously part of the inner Circle.bdj23 is obviously part of the inner Circle.bdj23 is obviously part of the inner Circle.bdj23 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-28-2020, 07:24 PM   #3306
Most Valuable Villain

So if I was looking for an AR 15.....what’s the average I would spend?
The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-28-2020, 07:26 PM   #3307
Psycho Bag Of Squanch

Any AK shooters here? What are they like to shoot/maintain? Know anything about Century Arms VSKA? Thoughts on 7.62?
vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-28-2020, 07:28 PM   #3308
Black Bob's daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Franchise View Post
So if I was looking for an AR 15.....what’s the average I would spend?
I bought a Smith & Wesson M&P 15 Sport II with the MLOK handguard and red dot sight for $829. My understanding is that a year or two ago it would have been a hundred or more cheaper. From what I've seen you can get the Smith & Wesson, Ruger 556, or Springfield Saint all for a similar price point in the budget category, maybe anywhere between 700-900 depending on the retailer and what specs it comes with.
OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.
Old 08-28-2020, 07:43 PM   #3309
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS

Quote:
Originally Posted by vailpass View Post
Any AK shooters here? What are they like to shoot/maintain? Know anything about Century Arms VSKA? Thoughts on 7.62?
Unless the quality has drastically improved, I would stay away from Century Arms. I've had my AK for many years, and at the time I bought it CA was fairly notorious for problems. Perhaps they've improved; I'm not a big AK fan, so I don't keep up on them.

My AK is an International Ordinance (IO) Sporter. I paid about $500 for it, perhaps seven or eight years ago. It's a decent rifle, I've never had any issues with it, and I trust it. Still, it sits in the back of my safe, and I rarely shot it. I enjoy my other rifles far more. I got a shit ton of cheap Russian ammo for it. It is basically an apocalypse gun.

My buddy picked up a high quality AK a couple of years ago, but I can't remember the brand. I know he paid well over $1,000 for it, though.
Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-28-2020, 07:53 PM   #3310
Psycho Bag Of Squanch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazod View Post
Unless the quality has drastically improved, I would stay away from Century Arms. I've had my AK for many years, and at the time I bought it CA was fairly notorious for problems. Perhaps they've improved; I'm not a big AK fan, so I don't keep up on them.

My AK is an International Ordinance (IO) Sporter. I paid about $500 for it, perhaps seven or eight years ago. It's a decent rifle, I've never had any issues with it, and I trust it. Still, it sits in the back of my safe, and I rarely shot it. I enjoy my other rifles far more. I got a shit ton of cheap Russian ammo for it. It is basically an apocalypse gun.

My buddy picked up a high quality AK a couple of years ago, but I can't remember the brand. I know he paid well over $1,000 for it, though.
That’s the input I was after. Thanks man.
vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-28-2020, 08:13 PM   #3311
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS

I actually checked the Buds website to see if I could remember the brand of the high end AK my buddy purchased.

Every AK they sell is currently out of stock.

As far as the ballistics of the 7.62x39 versus .556, I really couldn't tell you which is better; I'd say our combat vets like RandallFlagg would be the ones to ask, since they're familiar with the business end of them. The 7.62x39 is a fatter bullet and makes bigger holes. The shell sizes are similar.

Generally, AKs are considered to be less accurate but more reliable. They have a far less complicated firing system and are easier to maintain and work on. There's a reason they're the most widely used rifle in the world.

You can also buy an AR chambered in 7.62x39, but for me, since the whole idea of having an AK in the first place is reliability and cheap ammo, I wouldn't want an AR that shoots those rounds, since cheap ammo shoots dirty and will gum up an AR platform gun quicker. So you'd need to get higher quality ammo for it, which pretty much defeats my intended purpose.

That's about all I've got.
Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-28-2020, 11:40 PM   #3312
Ain't no relax!

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
What is the boards experience with modifying/accurizing the Ruger 10/22 into a for real 100 yard tack driver? I think I may want to play with this a bit.
I'm a huge fan of the 10/22 platform. There's so much cheap versatility. High capacity mags are super cheap. Ammo is cheap(er). You can even staight up convert it to a bullpup design if you want...

https://americanshootingjournal.com/...10-22-bullpup/

Even if you don't like the Bullpup design, there's a ton of 10/22 stuff available.....
Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-29-2020, 08:10 AM   #3313
Supporter

ARs will blow away an AK in fun factor.

I pull my AKs out once maybe twice a year to put smiles on a visiting friend’s face. They usually shoot a half mag, nod their head and ask for another mag of AR.

Easy to breakdown, clean, etc.

Shitty recoil, subpar ballistics. If you want to drop an optic on them it’s a lot more complicated, and I still question the stability/repeatability of the mounting platform .

ARs are superior in every way except for penetration. There is a reason the Russians went to the AK-74 (5.45x39) in the middle of the Cold War.
notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-29-2020, 08:26 AM   #3314
It's Five O'Clock Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by vailpass View Post

To each their own, but I strongly prefer my AK's over my AR's. AK's very rarely jam and take a lot more abuse. Both are great guns, but if I had to grab just one gun in a SHTF situation, it would be an AK.
Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-29-2020, 09:06 AM   #3315
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazod View Post
I actually checked the Buds website to see if I could remember the brand of the high end AK my buddy purchased.

Every AK they sell is currently out of stock.

As far as the ballistics of the 7.62x39 versus .556, I really couldn't tell you which is better; I'd say our combat vets like RandallFlagg would be the ones to ask, since they're familiar with the business end of them. The 7.62x39 is a fatter bullet and makes bigger holes. The shell sizes are similar.

Generally, AKs are considered to be less accurate but more reliable. They have a far less complicated firing system and are easier to maintain and work on. There's a reason they're the most widely used rifle in the world.

You can also buy an AR chambered in 7.62x39, but for me, since the whole idea of having an AK in the first place is reliability and cheap ammo, I wouldn't want an AR that shoots those rounds, since cheap ammo shoots dirty and will gum up an AR platform gun quicker. So you'd need to get higher quality ammo for it, which pretty much defeats my intended purpose.

That's about all I've got.

Thanks Frazod! I'm more than happy to give my $.02 (although keep in mind that it's only one mans opinion).

I look at the AR versus the AK from sort of a tactical point of view. First, nothing wrong with either of them. I've used them both and, you guessed it - they both kill.

When I first arrived in country in Viet Nam - I was first issued a M14. 7.62. However AK ammunition has different dimensions than 7.62 NATO - the AK is slightly smaller - but basically the same. Humping the A Shau Valley I found out fairly quickly that heavier is NEVER better when you are carrying a battle load of Ammo. God forbid that you are in a situation where it "might" be necessary to carry 150-250 7.62 rounds...they ARE heavy.

When we were issued new TOE - I got a brand spanking new M16 (what we call the AR-15 now). At first, I hated the piece of excrement. Couldn't stand it. The DoD had a problem right off the bat with ammo (for some inane reason). Anyway, they got it figured and SURPRISE!! They worked like a champ after that. Now for the opinion:

For CQB - there is none better than the 5.56 and, for some (at least me) distances of say 300-350 yards.I found that, thankfully, I could carry nearly double the amount of ammo with the 16. And believe me, more ammo is ALWAYS a good thing. They are effective weapons for killing. For anything longer at distance, I would prefer the AK round (7.62). 400 - 600 yards (with a good scope). But both do their intended function and they both do it well. I suppose that you can't necessarily make a "bad" choice. It, as always, comes down to personal prefrence.

There you go....... (whew!)
Randallflagg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Randallflagg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Randallflagg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Randallflagg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Randallflagg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Randallflagg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Randallflagg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Randallflagg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Randallflagg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Randallflagg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Randallflagg is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote