Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 07-21-2018, 09:41 AM  
Buddy Christ is a Chiefs fan

Ball Joints and Upper Control Arm 2004 Ford F150

I had my truck in the shop a few weeks ago for some unrelated stuff and they told me the lower ball joints were bad on my truck. I suspected something to that effect as I was getting the jumping around in the wheel and driving when I hit a pot hole or bump.

They didn't mention the upper ball joint on the control arm but since I have the entire thing tore apart anyway would you just go ahead and replace it? I have to replace the entire control arm if I do. It doesn't look horrible that I can tell but I ain't the best at diagnosing shit. If I watch some videos though I am great at tearing shit apart and putting back together. I just don't want to have to do this again anytime soon.

What say you?
BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:33 AM   #31
Shit

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog View Post
I giggled when he said ball joints.
You know you wanna smoke them...
SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:41 AM   #32
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAUTO View Post
I'm pretty sure you are talking about a different suspension. Unless it's a heritage.
I think that they fit all 2004 - 2007 and are the fill blown kit for the upper arms with greaseable bolts.

What's a 2004 Ford heritage other than a trim package?
cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:50 AM   #33
MVP

Quote:
You forgot the pitman arm that's always bad on those gm products
If your replacing all that and the sway bar link pins and bushings why not toss in a Pittman arm!!!! What's that about $100 more and an hour labor?

Might need a new steering shaft joint too......
cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:51 AM   #34
Shit

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper barrett View Post
I think that they fit all 2004 - 2007 and are the fill blown kit for the upper arms with greaseable bolts.

What's a 2004 Ford heritage other than a trim package?
On a truck with struts all the adjustment is at the lower control arms and there aren't eccentrics for them... those you posted are for the old style

The heritage is a totally different truck. Body style, engines, suspension, etc...
SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:55 AM   #35
Shit

Quote:
If your replacing all that and the sway bar link pins and bushings why not toss in a Pittman arm!!!! What's that about $100 more and an hour labor?

Might need a new steering shaft joint too......
The pitman atm actually is the most common on those. 1.9 I think and mostly you had to remove the gearbox... usually a dirty job.

Like the one I'm doing as we speak.

Oil pan and rear main on an 07 Denali. Greasy mess.. 46 minutes to have it all apart. Waiting on the parts store to open now..
Old 07-22-2018, 08:53 AM   #36
Stay down bitch!

WTF! Three pages in and no Fletch reference. Gentlemen it’s all ball bearings!
PunkinDrublic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.PunkinDrublic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.PunkinDrublic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.PunkinDrublic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.PunkinDrublic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.PunkinDrublic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.PunkinDrublic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.PunkinDrublic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.PunkinDrublic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.PunkinDrublic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.PunkinDrublic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:33 AM   #37
MVP

Quote:
On a truck with struts all the adjustment is at the lower control arms and there aren't eccentrics for them... those you posted are for the old style

The heritage is a totally different truck. Body style, engines, suspension, etc...
I did mean lower arms(my bad) and different eccentric sets look different depending on the amount of correctional application. I just grabbed a pic that showed what a set looked like as an example.

Isn't a Heritage really just a 2003 with a 2004 title? It still had the old school linkage vs a rack like in 2005.

I have not personally worked on a 2007 up GM trucks steering, that I want to remember, as I was referring to pre 2000 trucks (w/ drag links) that had movement in the ball joints when new.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:40 AM   #38
Let's Get Weird

Have you tried unplugging and plugging it back in?
C3HIEF3S has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.C3HIEF3S has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.C3HIEF3S has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.C3HIEF3S has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.C3HIEF3S has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.C3HIEF3S has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.C3HIEF3S has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.C3HIEF3S has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.C3HIEF3S has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.C3HIEF3S has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.C3HIEF3S has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:49 AM   #39
Shit

Quote:
I did mean lower arms(my bad) and different eccentric sets look different depending on the amount of correctional application. I just grabbed a pic that showed what a set looked like as an example.

Isn't a Heritage really just a 2003 with a 2004 title? It still had the old school linkage vs a rack like in 2005.

I have not personally worked on a 2007 up GM trucks steering, that I want to remember, as I was referring to pre 2000 trucks (w/ drag links) that had movement in the ball joints when new.
I have no idea if they are a 03 titled ad 04... 04 has a heritage that's like the older trucks. The eccentric package you posted goes on those style trucks on the upper arms
Old 07-22-2018, 09:54 AM   #40
"I'm with you fellers"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRichard View Post
I had my truck in the shop a few weeks ago for some unrelated stuff and they told me the lower ball joints were bad on my truck. I suspected something to that effect as I was getting the jumping around in the wheel and driving when I hit a pot hole or bump.

They didn't mention the upper ball joint on the control arm but since I have the entire thing tore apart anyway would you just go ahead and replace it? I have to replace the entire control arm if I do. It doesn't look horrible that I can tell but I ain't the best at diagnosing shit. If I watch some videos though I am great at tearing shit apart and putting back together. I just don't want to have to do this again anytime soon.

What say you?
1- avoid potholes
2- upper ball joints are above the lower ones
3- I would only replace it if it needs replaced it costs more to replace for some reason than if you don't replace it
4- rotate the air in all four tires, that front air has been tuned to hitting pot holes, now that your not going to hit them any more it just will not drive right.
5- Blinker fluid is optional as are muffler bearings.

See, now you don't have to watch a video !
Mr. Wizard would the whole thing.Mr. Wizard would the whole thing.Mr. Wizard would the whole thing.Mr. Wizard would the whole thing.Mr. Wizard would the whole thing.Mr. Wizard would the whole thing.Mr. Wizard would the whole thing.Mr. Wizard would the whole thing.Mr. Wizard would the whole thing.Mr. Wizard would the whole thing.Mr. Wizard would the whole thing.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:55 PM   #41
Supporter

Quote:
Isn't that thing a solid front axle?
Last Grand Cherokee with solid front axle was 2004.
penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.
Old 07-22-2018, 03:34 PM   #42
MVP

Who knew balls had joints.
Flying High D is too fat/Omaha.Flying High D is too fat/Omaha.Flying High D is too fat/Omaha.Flying High D is too fat/Omaha.Flying High D is too fat/Omaha.Flying High D is too fat/Omaha.Flying High D is too fat/Omaha.Flying High D is too fat/Omaha.Flying High D is too fat/Omaha.Flying High D is too fat/Omaha.Flying High D is too fat/Omaha.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:11 PM   #43
The Maintenance Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinz View Post
Last Grand Cherokee with solid front axle was 2004.
Mine is a 2002. The only other 4WD vehicle I've ever had is my current truck so I don't know a lot about them.
Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:59 AM   #44
Buddy Christ is a Chiefs fan

Sorry I didn't respond to the questions... I was in the middle of the work and when I didn't get a response for a couple of hours I just went ahead and left it in. But to answer SAUTO's question, yes it has struts. This is not the Heritage, it is the 5.4L V8. I don't think it was bad so just left it. If I end up tearing it apart later so be it. The other side went way quicker than the first side since I knew what I was doing. First side probably took me 5 hours while the second side took me about half that. I did also have to change the 4wd actuator on the first side though. Although it was only 3 bolts to take it off since it was all tore apart anyways. The actuator had actually split around the ring from corrosion. The center part of the ring was basically dust.

Is there some trick to getting the anti lock brake sensor off? I ended up breaking part of the first one off after I took the screw out and tried prying it off. I just left it after that as I didn't want to really damage it. I just left it connected and got a bucket for the hub piece to sit on so it wasn't putting 25 pounds of weight on the cable.
BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:00 AM   #45
Shit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRichard View Post
Sorry I didn't respond to the questions... I was in the middle of the work and when I didn't get a response for a couple of hours I just went ahead and left it in. But to answer SAUTO's question, yes it has struts. This is not the Heritage, it is the 5.4L V8. I don't think it was bad so just left it. If I end up tearing it apart later so be it. The other side went way quicker than the first side since I knew what I was doing. First side probably took me 5 hours while the second side took me about half that. I did also have to change the 4wd actuator on the first side though. Although it was only 3 bolts to take it off since it was all tore apart anyways. The actuator had actually split around the ring from corrosion. The center part of the ring was basically dust.

Is there some trick to getting the anti lock brake sensor off? I ended up breaking part of the first one off after I took the screw out and tried prying it off. I just left it after that as I didn't want to really damage it. I just left it connected and got a bucket for the hub piece to sit on so it wasn't putting 25 pounds of weight on the cable.
the struts have to be removed to pull the upper control arm bolts.

you just unplug the other end of the sensor from inside the fender well and leave the sensor itself in the hub bearing...

i put an actuator on one of those last thursday in less than 15 minutes