Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room

Old 07-21-2018, 09:41 AM  
Buddy Christ is a Chiefs fan

Ball Joints and Upper Control Arm 2004 Ford F150

I had my truck in the shop a few weeks ago for some unrelated stuff and they told me the lower ball joints were bad on my truck. I suspected something to that effect as I was getting the jumping around in the wheel and driving when I hit a pot hole or bump.

They didn't mention the upper ball joint on the control arm but since I have the entire thing tore apart anyway would you just go ahead and replace it? I have to replace the entire control arm if I do. It doesn't look horrible that I can tell but I ain't the best at diagnosing shit. If I watch some videos though I am great at tearing shit apart and putting back together. I just don't want to have to do this again anytime soon.

What say you?
BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:32 AM   #2
MVP

Control arms are kind of pricey and there's less stress on the upper joint than the lower. I, personally, wouldn't change the upper/control arm unless there is actually wear. They dont' tend to wear anywhere near as fast as the lowers. I'd have them check the control arm bushings as well though just to be sure. If all looks good, do just the lowers and maybe outer tie rod ends.
kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old 07-21-2018, 12:08 PM   #3
Shit

Quote:
Originally Posted by kccrow View Post
Control arms are kind of pricey and there's less stress on the upper joint than the lower. I, personally, wouldn't change the upper/control arm unless there is actually wear. They dont' tend to wear anywhere near as fast as the lowers. I'd have them check the control arm bushings as well though just to be sure. If all looks good, do just the lowers and maybe outer tie rod ends.
This post really makes no sense
SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-21-2018, 12:26 PM   #4
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAUTO View Post
This post really makes no sense
Feel free to correct it where I'm wrong, I have no quarrels with that. I'm not an expert, I just know in my experience it's extremely rare for uppers to wear anywhere near as fast as lowers. Of course, this is a POS Ford and I don't drive POS Fords. :P
kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old 07-21-2018, 12:45 PM   #5
Shit

I read my wife your post and her response was the exact same as mine

I'm on the road right now but will explain when I get home.
SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 12:47 PM   #6
Shit

04 could have a couple different suspensions. Does yours have struts?
Old 07-21-2018, 01:06 PM   #7
Banned

Does the truck squeak when going over a bump or particularly rough patch of road? That'd indicate, more often than not, bad bushings. I had a slammed 88 s10 when I was younger and I currently have a lowered STI swapped 04 Forester. I'm pretty harsh on my suspensions. Each component gives you a unique feel and sometimes sound as they go..
Naptown Chief has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Naptown Chief has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Naptown Chief has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Naptown Chief has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Naptown Chief has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Naptown Chief has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Naptown Chief has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Naptown Chief has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Naptown Chief has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Naptown Chief has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Naptown Chief has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.
Old 07-21-2018, 01:29 PM   #8
The Maintenance Guy

My Grand Cherokee has been doing that twitchy thing as well when I hit a bump or dip in the road, been wondering what the hell is causing that. Sucks if it is the ball joints/control arms because that's not a repair I'm going to take on myself.
Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-21-2018, 01:36 PM   #9
Shit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwwataz View Post
Does the truck squeak when going over a bump or particularly rough patch of road? That'd indicate, more often than not, bad bushings. I had a slammed 88 s10 when I was younger and I currently have a lowered STI swapped 04 Forester. I'm pretty harsh on my suspensions. Each component gives you a unique feel and sometimes sound as they go..
Jesus...
Old 07-21-2018, 06:39 PM   #10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAUTO View Post
Jesus...
Dave.
Naptown Chief has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Naptown Chief has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Naptown Chief has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Naptown Chief has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Naptown Chief has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Naptown Chief has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Naptown Chief has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Naptown Chief has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Naptown Chief has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Naptown Chief has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Naptown Chief has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:39 PM   #11
Shit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugeater View Post
My Grand Cherokee has been doing that twitchy thing as well when I hit a bump or dip in the road, been wondering what the hell is causing that. Sucks if it is the ball joints/control arms because that's not a repair I'm going to take on myself.
Isn't that thing a solid front axle?
Old 07-21-2018, 06:41 PM   #12
Shit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwwataz View Post
Dave.
Your post was totally off.

Ball joints will squeal very often. Much more likely than bushings
Old 07-21-2018, 06:44 PM   #13
Shit

Quote:
Originally Posted by kccrow View Post
Feel free to correct it where I'm wrong, I have no quarrels with that. I'm not an expert, I just know in my experience it's extremely rare for uppers to wear anywhere near as fast as lowers. Of course, this is a POS Ford and I don't drive POS Fords. :P
Well I see just as many uppers fail as lowers.

You recommended not changing the uppers because they weren't bad but then recommended replacement of the outer tie rod ends just out of the blue. That really mate no sense to me.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:45 PM   #14
Shit

And any one with a 5.4 3 valve hit me up when it goes. I install tons of them.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:45 PM   #15
Banned

Squeal or squeak? There's a distinct difference. I've destroyed enough bushings to know the difference. The bushings will constantly squeak as if you're bouncing on an old metal framed bed.