Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room > Media Center
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 02-05-2013, 06:42 PM  
The Boom Boom Room

Chris Pratt Lands GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY Lead

Chris Pratt Lands GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY Lead

After countless shortlist stories and rumors concerning who would play Star-Lord in Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy, the search for the lead role is finally over, and fittingly the actor is someone who never appeared on any of the aforementioned lists. Deadline reports that Chris Pratt has been tapped to play Peter Quill, aka Star-Lord, a character who was born of a human mother and alien father, and is a master strategist and combat expert who wears an ability-enhancing suit and pilots a psychically-linked ship. As Guardians features a cast of strange and cosmic characters, Quill was an important role to fill because he will likely act as the audience’s introduction to the vast, unfamiliar Guardians world. Hit the jump for more.

There were plenty of actors rumored for the role that made a lot of sense (John Krasinski, Zachary Levi, etc.), and Deadline notes that Marvel made test deals with Joel Edgerton, Jack Huston, Lee Pace, and Eddie Redmayne, but Chris Pratt actually seems like a perfect fit. His comic timing is excellent as evidenced by his work on NBC’s Parks and Recreation, and he’s shown his talent on the dramatic side with Moneyball and 2012’s Zero Dark Thirty, for which he also proved that he can beef up for a role if need-be.

Looking back on the previous shortlists and taking Pratt into consideration, it’s clear that writer/director James Gunn is planning on injecting a good amount of humor into Guardians of the Galaxy. A rumor surfaced recently that Marvel was looking at possibly tapping Jim Carrey or Adam Sandler to do voice work in the film (one of the guardians is a talking raccoon), so I’m interested to see the tone that Gunn settles on for the finished film.

With the role of Star-Lord secure, Gunn and Marvel now look to filling out the rest of the cast, which includes the powerful Drax the Destroyer, a giant tree named Groot, the aforementioned Rocket Raccoon, and the female lead Gamora. The story is also rumored to involve the villain Thanos. Expect to hear more soon as production gears up to begin later this year. Guardians of the Galaxy will be released in 3D on August 1, 2014.
Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:12 PM   #436
Supporter

Tell me that doesn't look down right BITCHIN'

Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:16 PM   #437
I'll be back.

He'd make a great Indy.

The whole scene at the start reminded me of an inter-galactic Indiana Jones.
Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:25 PM   #438
Deus ambulans inter homines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Zarth View Post
He'd make a great Indy.

Exactly. It was my immediate thought during the scene. It was so alike I actually figured it was a little homage to Indy... ?
Anyong Bluth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Anyong Bluth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Anyong Bluth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Anyong Bluth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Anyong Bluth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Anyong Bluth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Anyong Bluth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Anyong Bluth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Anyong Bluth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Anyong Bluth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Anyong Bluth is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:01 PM   #439
Supporter

I'm trying to think, has there ever been a transformation like Chris Pratt?

From Everwood, to schlubby guy to be written out of the series premiere of P&R. To schlubby guy who becomes a regular on P&R, to lucky schlub who marries Anna Faris, to HOLY SHIT!! This guy's hilarious, to HOLY SHIT!! This guy's in the blockbuster of the summer, to HOLY SHIT!! This guy's the next Indiana Jones.

Closest I can recall is Brittany Murphy transforming from Tai on Clueless to Alex on 8 Mile. But Chris doesn't strike me as a pill popping whackadoo.
Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:33 PM   #440
In Search of a Life

Quote:
He'd make a great Indy.

Did Indy ever bee bop to "come and get your love"?
Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:42 PM   #441
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 View Post
http://io9.com/you-will-never-stop-l...e-g-1599552301
Old 08-15-2014, 09:46 PM   #442
I'll be back.

Quote:
Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:53 AM   #443
sorta mod-ish

Quote:
No, but he did survive being thrown a couple of hundred yards while in a 1950's era refrigerator trying to hide from a nuclear blast, so he has that going for him.

Quote:
WTF
Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:21 AM   #444
I got Rice cookin in the micro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Lee View Post

From Everwood, to schlubby guy to be written out of the series premiere of P&R. To schlubby guy who becomes a regular on P&R, to lucky schlub who marries Anna Faris, to HOLY SHIT!! This guy's hilarious, to HOLY SHIT!! This guy's in the blockbuster of the summer, to HOLY SHIT!! This guy's the next Indiana Jones.

Closest I can recall is Brittany Murphy transforming from Tai on Clueless to Alex on 8 Mile. But Chris doesn't strike me as a pill popping whackadoo.
seth rogan has to be up there. He screen banged that one chick knocked up then green hornet.
Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:54 AM   #445

Quote:

Talk about nailing the landing. His character on P&R was just meant to be as an extended guest star for like a 6 episode character arc, for backstory on Anne meeting Leslie.

The writers loved what he did with the role and he became part of the principal cast starting in the 2nd season.

He's got a fairly wide range of roles under his belt, and I think it has the makings of this being the moment of ordination on a rise to becoming one of the top stars in Hollywood.

He has a likeability that crosses over between both men and women, and has shown fabulous range in comedic and dramatic roles.
Anyong Bluth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Anyong Bluth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Anyong Bluth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Anyong Bluth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Anyong Bluth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Anyong Bluth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Anyong Bluth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Anyong Bluth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Anyong Bluth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Anyong Bluth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Anyong Bluth is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-16-2014, 01:29 PM   #446
Back again, again.

Quote:

Robert Downey, Jr.
Aries Walker has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Aries Walker has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Aries Walker has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Aries Walker has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Aries Walker has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Aries Walker has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Aries Walker has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Aries Walker has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Aries Walker has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Aries Walker has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Aries Walker has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:30 PM   #447
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries Walker View Post
Robert Downey, Jr.
RDJ was always a star. You can take one glance at him and know. The question was whether he was going to get his head out of the haze of drugs to realize his potential.

A couple of years ago, Pratt could have been one of the guys you worked with on a construction site, or wielding a crescent wrench at the local garage.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:41 PM   #448
Back again, again.

It's easy to say that now, but in the mid-80's, he was the kid from Back to School, one of the peripherals orbiting around the Rob Lowe-Andrew McCarthy Brat Pack crowd. It wasn't until Chaplin that anyone took him seriously.

Harrison Ford had that moment, too. For a while there, he was an LA construction worker that had had a few minor roles once.

My point is that I think one good movie and a workout regime is a bit premature to label someone the Biggest Turnaround in Movie History.
Aries Walker has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Aries Walker has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Aries Walker has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Aries Walker has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Aries Walker has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Aries Walker has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Aries Walker has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Aries Walker has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Aries Walker has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Aries Walker has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Aries Walker has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:50 PM   #449
Supporter

Quote:
It's easy to say that now, but in the mid-80's, he was the kid from Back to School, one of the peripherals orbiting around the Rob Lowe-Andrew McCarthy Brat Pack crowd. It wasn't until Chaplin that anyone took him seriously.

Harrison Ford had that moment, too. For a while there, he was an LA construction worker that had had a few minor roles once.

My point is that I think one good movie and a workout regime is a bit premature to label someone the Biggest Turnaround in Movie History.
I dunno, I thought he had more star power than AMH even with his little part in Weird Science. That thought was borne out, even as they both moved on to a horrible year of SNL.

I've never viewed him as anything but an Angelina Jolie, John Stamos, George Clooney type who just needed to get his shit together
Old 08-16-2014, 03:18 PM   #450

Quote:

No, he hit the scene and people recognized his talent early. He hit a point where his personal life and trouble kept him from working literally. Studios could not get the required insurance policy because he was considered too high a risk, and subsequently stopped being able to get parts until he truly got his shit together. There was never a time when RDJ wasn't held in the opinion of that as a top flight actor and with box office cache.

Lorne Michaels pounced on him as a kid because he saw his star power, but SNL wasn't his scene and he quickly bounced.