Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 02-26-2020, 10:28 PM  
MVP

***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***

A couple of reminders...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwana View Post
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartgod View Post
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

Last edited by Bearcat; 03-25-2020 at 08:56 AM.. Reason: adding spoiler tag
JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:17 AM   #11641
"Think BOOM!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties View Post
19K deaths in the next week seems unlikely.
Who said anything about 20,000 total deaths in the next week?
Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 0 Thumbs Down 1     Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 11:19 AM   #11642
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWillie View Post
Part of that is they just have an older population, but have you stopped to think about why they have more deaths? We are lagging behind them on when the majority of cases have been found. Much more of their cases have a result.
JFC, you could find doom and gloom in winning the lottery. I am fully convinced of that right now.
petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:20 AM   #11643
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donger View Post
He said "soon"...don't start going all DC Donger again
petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:21 AM   #11644
Diablo Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFace View Post
These two statements aren't consistent. You're comparing death rates - not deaths.

(You also edited your post to add the last sentence after I had already replied.)

Ok, I get it, even though it was clear what I was referring to which is deaths per 1MM total population, clearly showed Italy is 40x higher, you couldn't make the simple connection and when I explained it you couldn't just say Oh I see.

And then when I clarified you just had get snarky about it.

I got it.
Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:21 AM   #11645
THE RED MENACE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWillieHysterical View Post
Where is this coming from though? If we aren't testing the asymptomatic population then how do we know? We need tangible numbers. Otherwise your 80% is just arbitrary.
Congratulations you got it.

To me this is pretty simple shit. We are already spending a ton of money to ride this out. You simply can't take out the pack for 1% of the population. My guess is the numbers in the end are going to be significantly less than that, WAY less. Even if I had to die being I am in the at risk category I would rather have that than plunge our country into a great depression. We need to get set as good as we reasonably can and get back to work ASAP.
BIG_DADDY has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.BIG_DADDY has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.BIG_DADDY has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.BIG_DADDY has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.BIG_DADDY has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.BIG_DADDY has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.BIG_DADDY has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.BIG_DADDY has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.BIG_DADDY has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.BIG_DADDY has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.BIG_DADDY has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:23 AM   #11646
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Quote:
Whoa, this data has me convinced now. I guess we'll see 20,000 deaths in this country soon.
We'll almost certainly sail past that.

Again - this isn't about 'acceptable' deaths. It's about inevitable ones.

It's a brand new damn disease unleashed on a population of 350 million people. A lot of people are going to die.

That's what a curve does, guys. It goes up. It goes way up at times. The 'flatten the curve' idea doesn't mean maintain a straight line. It recognizes the inevitability of deaths because of this and simply looks for ways to reduce how steep that curve is. And in exchange for reducing how steep it is, it makes the hump wider.

But in all instances, there ARE deaths and likely quite a few of them.

****ing pandemics suck and I just don't know what else to say about that. If the US manages to stay below 100,000 over a prolonged period of time it will be a statistical anomaly.

And maybe that's why I've seen this a bit differently than many. Perhaps there's a level of fatalism baked into my cake that others just don't have. Simply put - this is a disease that can kill people and WILL kill people. The idea that we were going to be able to take steps to yield fatality figures that wouldn't shock the conscious is simply unrealistic. That's GOING to happen.

I just hope we aren't doing things that will only prolong the inevitable and in the end make outcomes for everyone, infected or otherwise, as bad or worse.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 11:25 AM   #11647
"Think BOOM!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by petegz28 View Post
He said "soon"...don't start going all DC Donger again
That can mean anything. Like I said, I haven't seen anyone state that we'll have 20,000 deaths soon, or in the next week.
Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:25 AM   #11648
I'll be back.

Quote:
Dis doo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RINGLEADER View Post
There will be around 341 deaths tomorrow.

There will be around 3800 deaths in the coming week.

Less sure but tracking to see 20,000 deaths next week.

It is math. It’s actually fairly easy to track since it’s based on trends built on hundreds of thousands of cases. You can take death rates from almost any country and work it backwards using this math.

All of the variables Pete is citing are not necessarily wrong, they just don’t factor in a meaningful way into the numbers that will determine how many people will be hospitalized, require life support, and die. Age/etc hasn’t proven to be as much of a factor as maxing out the health care system. Again, the math clearly shows this.

I said last week that people just can’t comprehend yet what’s about to hit. But the math is super easy:

Takes on average 8 days from infection to death.

The current death rate of reported cases is around 12.2% (we actually saw 9 more people than I predicted yesterday).

When the health care system is overwhelmed like in Italy that rate goes up to as high as 24%.

The 11,000+ who were infected today will result in approximately 1,352 deaths a week from now.

It is just math.
Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:26 AM   #11649
THE RED MENACE

Quote:
We are supposed to have 5 Wuhan's going by now. How can the skies be filled with the smoke and stench of all the burning bodies if we don't at least have that many? We can't really get into the 3.3M deaths needed to meet that minimum 1% threshold unless we really get this ball rolling.
BIG_DADDY has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.BIG_DADDY has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.BIG_DADDY has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.BIG_DADDY has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.BIG_DADDY has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.BIG_DADDY has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.BIG_DADDY has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.BIG_DADDY has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.BIG_DADDY has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.BIG_DADDY has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.BIG_DADDY has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:27 AM   #11650
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFace View Post
Iceland's study suggests it might be around 50%.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/...ding-covid-19/
I've seen a handful at 30-40%.

But whatever the case may be, it does appear there are loads of people who got this and showed very little. The question becomes at that point whether they have developed sufficient antibodies to actually come out of the carrier pool.

And those antibody tests are still a ways behind in terms of volume, speed and efficacy.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:27 AM   #11651
Has a particular set of skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
But here's the thing - the only hospitals demonstrating a significant capacity issue right now are in NY and indications now are that sufficient PPE has been secured to battle this to it's apex in NY.
there are still shortages today, hospitals and nurses using the same PPE’s for a whole shift or in some cases multiple days. Google it. It’s a fact. Today, not a month ago. I would have got fired for doing this once. I understand it’s a crisis. I worked for 10 years in an environment that was always in crisis. For instance, I know the best way to get human brains out of a lab coat.

The PPE shortage is an American nationwide problem. Why would I not use the term that it shouldn’t be happening in America?

Quote:
Cuomo said Thursday his office has reached out to city hospitals and while there may be some spot issues with distribution, they say they have adequate personal protective equipment for now. If they find themselves short, the governor said he'd have the state send more, adding "we have enough PPE for the immediate need." But New York doesn't have enough to last much longer, given an infection rate that Cuomo said earlier this week "continues unabated."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcellus View Post
http://betsymccaughey.com/we-didnt-h...-for-pandemic/

Read this and take from it what you like but NY specifically was warned in 2015 they didn't have enough supplies for a pandemic and they ignored it for the most part.
I don’t care who’s fault it is. Hence the deliberate “they”. I have no idea who’s “fault” it is. FEMA, Congress, the Governor, the President, Obama’s, the States, the Hospital etc. it’s probably multiple players fault. But, here we are and it needs to get fixed immediately.
BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:27 AM   #11652
Kind of a mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY View Post
Congratulations you got it.

To me this is pretty simple shit. We are already spending a ton of money to ride this out. You simply can't take out the pack for 1% of the population. My guess is the numbers in the end are going to be significantly less than that, WAY less. Even if I had to die being I am in the at risk category I would rather have that than plunge our country into a great depression. We need to get set as good as we reasonably can and get back to work ASAP.
It's all about balance. If, years from now, we look back at this and see that the CFR was around 0.5%, some people will say that the response was a complete overreaction. The issue is that Italy has shown us that the CFR spikes when the healthcare system is overloaded, so doing nothing would also cause that number to skyrocket.

As for "getting back to work," the reality is that that alone isn't going to save the economy. People aren't going to keep productivity up if their grandparents are dying or when our ice hockey rinks are being used as morgues.

All I know is that all the experts in this have essentially agreed that the only way to deal with this thing is to lock everything down and that not doing so would be catastrophic.
DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:28 AM   #11653
Ultrabanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY View Post
We are supposed to have 5 Wuhan's going by now. How can the skies be filled with the smoke and stench of all the burning bodies if we don't at least have that many? We can't really get into the 3.3M deaths needed to meet that minimum 1% threshold unless we really get this ball rolling.
It only took one Wuhan for you to break down mentally and financially. You really want to pile on 4 more?
Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 11:28 AM   #11654
THE RED MENACE

Quote:
Dis doo
Mathleader will take us to the promised land.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:29 AM   #11655
"Think BOOM!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedChief View Post
I don’t care who’s fault it is. Hence the deliberate “they”. I have no idea who’s “fault” it is. FEMA, Congress, the Governor, the President, Obama’s, the States, the Hospital etc. it’s probably multiple players fault. But, here we are and it needs to get fixed immediately.
Have you considered the possibility that those workers were either having some fun and/or being dicks?