Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 03-29-2023, 08:39 AM  
Has a particular set of skills

***Official 2023 STL Cardinals Thread ***

2023 thread. Walker makes the roster. I'll update the rosters and opening day lineup when its official

2023 Opening Day Lineup
Spoiler!

2022 Opening Day roster.
Spoiler!

For the new Cardinal fans that joined the Planet since last year, here are some of the historical threads going back to 2006.

Last edited by BigRedChief; 03-30-2023 at 10:48 AM..
BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-07-2023, 12:26 PM   #841
In my youth i pray to keep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rams Fan View Post
Depends on what you define as long way off from contending.

Last time this team probably could’ve seriously contended for a WS was 2015.

Last time they could’ve contended for a WS if the offense didn’t absolutely shit themselves with OK pitching? 2019.

2020- present has had serious issues in the rotation.
Contenders for what we want (world series) not what dewallet and mozo want (3 million in attendance and a wild card birth)
bdj23 is obviously part of the inner Circle.bdj23 is obviously part of the inner Circle.bdj23 is obviously part of the inner Circle.bdj23 is obviously part of the inner Circle.bdj23 is obviously part of the inner Circle.bdj23 is obviously part of the inner Circle.bdj23 is obviously part of the inner Circle.bdj23 is obviously part of the inner Circle.bdj23 is obviously part of the inner Circle.bdj23 is obviously part of the inner Circle.bdj23 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-07-2023, 12:27 PM   #842
Greatest QB Duo of 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdj23 View Post
Contenders for what we want (world series) not what dewallet and mozo want (3 million in attendance and a wild card birth)
Then the answer is 2015 or 2019, with no other teams that contended between 2015- now aside from 2019.
Rams Fan 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Rams Fan 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Rams Fan 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Rams Fan 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Rams Fan 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Rams Fan 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Rams Fan 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Rams Fan 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Rams Fan 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Rams Fan 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Rams Fan 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old 07-07-2023, 12:28 PM   #843

I had 2015 in mind when i wrote my post because they looked like shit against the Nationals in the 2019 NLCS
bdj23 is obviously part of the inner Circle.bdj23 is obviously part of the inner Circle.bdj23 is obviously part of the inner Circle.bdj23 is obviously part of the inner Circle.bdj23 is obviously part of the inner Circle.bdj23 is obviously part of the inner Circle.bdj23 is obviously part of the inner Circle.bdj23 is obviously part of the inner Circle.bdj23 is obviously part of the inner Circle.bdj23 is obviously part of the inner Circle.bdj23 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-07-2023, 12:31 PM   #844
Greatest QB Duo of 2015

Quote:
I had 2015 in mind when i wrote my post because they looked like shit against the Nationals in the 2019 NLCS
Offense was horrible vs the Nats and almost got no-hit twice. Doesn’t change that from being the last time I thought they could win or compete for a WS.
Rams Fan 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Rams Fan 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Rams Fan 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Rams Fan 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Rams Fan 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Rams Fan 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Rams Fan 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Rams Fan 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Rams Fan 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Rams Fan 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Rams Fan 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old 07-07-2023, 12:34 PM   #845

Quote:
Offense was horrible vs the Nats and almost got no-hit twice. Doesn’t change that from being the last time I thought they could win or compete for a WS.
If they beat the Nats, they weren't beating the 107 win Astros
Old 07-07-2023, 12:37 PM   #846
Greatest QB Duo of 2015

Quote:
If they beat the Nats, they weren't beating the 107 win Astros
Probably not.
Old 07-07-2023, 12:46 PM   #847

Plus Mozo probably would have gotten a lifetime contract if that team made it to the World Series
Old 07-07-2023, 03:04 PM   #848
Now you've pissed me off!

Your goal should be to build the 2004 Cardinals. You won't always win it all even if you do, but that should be the goal.
'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-07-2023, 06:25 PM   #849
Greatest QB Duo of 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins View Post
Your goal should be to build the 2004 Cardinals. You won't always win it all even if you do, but that should be the goal.
So, have your rotation be centered around 2 reclamation projects, one of which was coming off severe injury problems (who would miss the WS but go onto win the CYA in 2005), 2 #3-4 caliber SPs, and arguably the second best SP the organization has developed in the past 30 years anchored by the one of the greatest hitters of all time, a HoF 3B, a great CF, and a good SS?

Personally, I think the 2005 Cardinals would be the better example of how to want to construct a team. 2004 had a lot of things go right. 2005 was basically the same team with a better rotation and Nuñez at 3B with Rolen being injured.

MV3 is something that I don't think can be easily replicated.
Old 07-07-2023, 06:55 PM   #850

Quote:
So, have your rotation be centered around 2 reclamation projects, one of which was coming off severe injury problems (who would miss the WS but go onto win the CYA in 2005), 2 #3-4 caliber SPs, and arguably the second best SP the organization has developed in the past 30 years anchored by the one of the greatest hitters of all time, a HoF 3B, a great CF, and a good SS?

Personally, I think the 2005 Cardinals would be the better example of how to want to construct a team. 2004 had a lot of things go right. 2005 was basically the same team with a better rotation and Nuñez at 3B with Rolen being injured.

MV3 is something that I don't think can be easily replicated.

You should build your team to be as much of a juggernaut as possible. That team had HOF talent acquired through the draft, shrewd trades, reclamation projects, and augmented it with excellent FA signings.

Mozeliak would have been too scared to trade away Bud Smith and Polanco for Rolen. He would have thought Kent Bottenfield was a lock down ace. He would have never bargain shopped for Carpenter or traded peanuts for Larry Walker. It ain't in him.
'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-07-2023, 07:39 PM   #851
Greatest QB Duo of 2015

Quote:
You should build your team to be as much of a juggernaut as possible. That team had HOF talent acquired through the draft, shrewd trades, reclamation projects, and augmented it with excellent FA signings.

Mozeliak would have been too scared to trade away Bud Smith and Polanco for Rolen. He would have thought Kent Bottenfield was a lock down ace. He would have never bargain shopped for Carpenter or traded peanuts for Larry Walker. It ain't in him.
You're making me defend Mozeliak here and wanting to view his tenure in two different eras as I think his style of moves are dramatically different from 2008-2014 vs 2015-present.

For the sake of this argument, I'm throwing out anything he did good or bad from 2008-2014, as I don't think his thought process is the same.

To Mozeliak's credit, he acquired Arenado (a 3B who is probably of similar caliber to Rolen both offensively and defensively) for jackshit and Goldschmidt for roughly the equivalent of Smith + Polanco with Weaver and Kelly.

His most notable reclamation project during this time was Mikolas.

I'd say the biggest issues Mozeliak/Cardinals have had during this time (2015-present) are the following:

-Doing the bare minimum to improve the team in FA. For example, at a surface level, signing Matz and Contreras were steps in the right direction but having those be the only moves of note made in FA isn't enough to move the needle to contend.
-Targeting middle-of-the-road starters. Leake and Matz shouldn't be the centerpieces of an off-season in free agency.
-Focusing on relievers who induce ground balls instead of strikeouts.
-Spending $ on the wrong relievers (Cecil, Holland, though I think Holland's issue was more due to when he was signed in-season).
-Relying on Frankenstein's monster for the BP and rotation the past 3 seasons.
-Letting Yadi have a swan song in 2022 when he should have been gone before then as well as continuing to delay the inevitable.
-Taveras' death.
-Focusing on having a bunch of guys offensively/defensively who are above average while not developing any superstars.
Old 07-07-2023, 07:48 PM   #852

The biggest issue Mozeliak has is not having Walt Jocketty and Jeff Luhnow to make him look like he knows what he's doing.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 09:06 PM   #853
Greatest QB Duo of 2015

Quote:
The biggest issue Mozeliak has is not having Walt Jocketty and Jeff Luhnow to make him look like he knows what he's doing.
Except Jocketty basically said **** prospects and went all-in for the better part of a 7 season period before ultimately losing his job due to beefing with Luhnow.
Old 07-08-2023, 04:56 AM   #854
Consuming CP souls

Quote:
The worst outfield is in part due to Nootbar and TON being injured, leaving guys like Burleson, Yepez, and Walker to play the corners when none of them should be out there aside from Walker, who projects as a 1B or DH and has only been playing OF full-time since August of last year. Carlson doesn't hit enough to justify playing him full-time, but Nootbar along with Donovan. Both of whom I consider to above average to average defensively in the OF.

Edman is awesome and can basically play anywhere, but should be moved to 2B long-term when Winn is ready. Still leaves a hole in CF unless they intend on keeping TON (which I don't foresee happening). This forces Gorman or Walker to DH. I'm willing to sacrifice this season to let Walker develop.

The rotation is a massive issue and I don't really see anyone signed for next season, aside from Mikolas, under contract that I would think can be relied on to be an above average starter. I'd consider Montgomery to be above average, but he'll be a FA.

That leaves a rotation of Mikolas and a bunch of dog shit.

To possibly resolve long-term problems by acquiring prospects or players under contract for the future, as well as allow younger players the opportunity to play, I'd do the following at the deadline:

-Trade Flaherty
-Either extend or trade Montgomery
-Trade Stratton
-Trade TON
-Trade DeJong and promote Winn
-Trade Burleson or Yepez
-DFA Kinzer and play Herrera
-DFA Matz

Probably results in 90-100 losses this year, but I don't care.

Next thing should be for Mo to be fired, but I doubt that makes a difference if DeWitt is unwilling to invest in pitching.
Noot hitting 3rd is embarrassing
Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-08-2023, 07:47 AM   #855

Noot is near the bottom of the list of things that are concerning with this abomination
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote