Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 06-05-2019, 08:22 AM  
The Boom Boom Room

Justin Houston on joining the Colts: "I just wanted to be in a 4-3."

Last edited by Tribal Warfare; 06-05-2019 at 11:11 AM..
Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:45 AM   #16
Special Teams ACE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cave Johnson View Post
Is there any evidence we actually asked him to restructure?

I don’t think Veachy and Big Reid wanted his inconsistent effort anywhere near this rebuild.
Not sure how accurate these reports are, but some twitter tards out there claimed that Veach did talk to Houston and his agent about a restructure, but that Houston refused any kind of change to his contract.
RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:47 AM   #17
Special Teams ACE!!!

I loved Houston when he was here, but even I'm glad we moved on from him.

I think we get to play the Colts in the regular season this year? That's gonna be a fun one. Enjoy getting lit up by our QB, Justin.
RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:59 AM   #18
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
It was most apparent in his run defense.

For all the shit that Ford took as a run defender, he was at least an outstanding pursuit defender against the run. Houston, OTOH, jaked it BADLY last year in run defense.

You can flip a switch as a pass rusher and give effort when you want to. As a run defender, you're either engaged every down or you're ineffective. Last season Houston was clearly ineffective.

That raises some obvious red flags with regards to effort and intensity.
This! I don't remember Houston not sealing his edge being an issue, but he was pushed to the outside very often, opening huge running lanes inside. Even his pass rushing was off. Maybe he just finally had enough of Sutton and decided to play when he felt like it.

I think having the intensity of a Frank Clark and getting rid of Houston's "only play hard on some downs" attitude will be huge in the run game.

Not having Berry lingering around on the sideline scratching notes on a candy wrapper should help moral too. Bottom line- we got rid of two high paid, nonimpact guys in Berry and Houston and replaced them with high-intensity vocal leaders that play hard every down. This in itself, should help change the culture of the defense where last year it was oklay to dog it when you wanted too and nobody would say anything.
Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:02 AM   #19
MVP

Huston & Luck on the same game day roster? 50%?
OrtonsPiercedTaint wants to die in a aids tree fire.OrtonsPiercedTaint wants to die in a aids tree fire.OrtonsPiercedTaint wants to die in a aids tree fire.OrtonsPiercedTaint wants to die in a aids tree fire.OrtonsPiercedTaint wants to die in a aids tree fire.OrtonsPiercedTaint wants to die in a aids tree fire.OrtonsPiercedTaint wants to die in a aids tree fire.OrtonsPiercedTaint wants to die in a aids tree fire.OrtonsPiercedTaint wants to die in a aids tree fire.OrtonsPiercedTaint wants to die in a aids tree fire.OrtonsPiercedTaint wants to die in a aids tree fire.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 10:06 AM   #20
Veteran

I liked Houston and I think he could fit in ok with a 4-3. My only problem with him was he was hurt too often and now he's aging, so not worth the contract.

Colts have enough cap space to pay out the wazoo for old expensive guys like Houston, so I can understand why the brought him in.
kcclone must have mowed badgirl's lawn.kcclone must have mowed badgirl's lawn.kcclone must have mowed badgirl's lawn.kcclone must have mowed badgirl's lawn.kcclone must have mowed badgirl's lawn.kcclone must have mowed badgirl's lawn.kcclone must have mowed badgirl's lawn.kcclone must have mowed badgirl's lawn.kcclone must have mowed badgirl's lawn.kcclone must have mowed badgirl's lawn.kcclone must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:09 AM   #21
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
Yeah, he would step it up at critical times, which was great, but I noticed on "routine" drives, he often seemed content to lean on an offensive lineman. Last year was not his best look.
Exactly, Houston used to be feared. He was a mauler, with a great array of moves and could bull rush if he needed to. When you watch the difference between Frank Clark using Fisher as a weapon to throw at Mahomes and Houston's effort to just kind of paw at the linemen 3 out of 4 downs- it is huge.

Maybe the defense won't be as good as we hope, but at least they will be trying hard this year. If not, guys will be chewing their ass for dogging it. Gone are the days of Uncle Bob ignoring lackadaisical effort while burying his face in his clipboard. I don't know a lot about Spags, but I doubt he or the defensive staff will put up with that nonsense like last year.
Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:15 AM   #22
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealSNR View Post
I loved Houston when he was here, but even I'm glad we moved on from him.

I think we get to play the Colts in the regular season this year? That's gonna be a fun one. Enjoy getting lit up by our QB, Justin.
Home game- October 6th at 8:20 PM on NBC

You can bet that Andy will have power running plays installed in the game plan to Houston's side. I bet they want to see if he can close that inside gap since he struggled with it last year. Easy 4 yard gains most likely.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:16 AM   #23
Out Gunning CP's Fandom Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcclone View Post
I liked Houston and I think he could fit in ok with a 4-3. My only problem with him was he was hurt too often and now he's aging, so not worth the contract.

Colts have enough cap space to pay out the wazoo for old expensive guys like Houston, so I can understand why the brought him in.
This.
TEX has disabled reputation
Old 06-05-2019, 10:21 AM   #24
NFL's #1 Ermines Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfcan View Post
This! I don't remember Houston not sealing his edge being an issue, but he was pushed to the outside very often, opening huge running lanes inside. Even his pass rushing was off. Maybe he just finally had enough of Sutton and decided to play when he felt like it.

I think having the intensity of a Frank Clark and getting rid of Houston's "only play hard on some downs" attitude will be huge in the run game.

Not having Berry lingering around on the sideline scratching notes on a candy wrapper should help moral too. Bottom line- we got rid of two high paid, nonimpact guys in Berry and Houston and replaced them with high-intensity vocal leaders that play hard every down. This in itself, should help change the culture of the defense where last year it was oklay to dog it when you wanted too and nobody would say anything.
For some reason I hadn't thought about it in those terms before, but you're right. The Chiefs directly replaced Houston and Berry with their two biggest investments of Clark and Mathieu. That says a lot.
Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 10:36 AM   #25
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
For some reason I hadn't thought about it in those terms before, but you're right. The Chiefs directly replaced Houston and Berry with their two biggest investments of Clark and Mathieu. That says a lot.
Hobo Berry wandering around mumbling to himself in street clothes during the game -replaced with Honey Badger wrecking people's shit while pumping up the crowd and team.

Houston the highest paid player on the team, who was a shell of his former self due to injuries and attitude- replaced by Frank Clark, a high intensity, defensive player of the year candidate, who wore a Van Halen / Judas Preist shirt when he touched down in KC.

To say I like these moves would be an understatement. Veech had a great offseason!

And as a Bonus- we dumped bonehead Ford, who did not know how to line up during the biggest game of the year. I am sure the Chiefs will miss his piano playing but not his soft as a bunny locker room attitude.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:37 AM   #26
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfcan View Post
Houston can say whatever excuse he wants for joining those dickwads, the fact is, he dogged it a lot last year. Two out of every three plays he gave less than 100%. We needed more than just the occasional sack from him. The defense was awful and Houston was part of that equation. Then after giving a half-ass effort year, he refused to take a pay cut or help the team cap-wise in any way. Have fun losing to the Chiefs next year in the Playoffs and watching your old team move on. Houston has been paid like the best defensive player in the NFL for years now, but was not even close to the player he was. Good riddance.
This.
alpha_omega is obviously part of the inner Circle.alpha_omega is obviously part of the inner Circle.alpha_omega is obviously part of the inner Circle.alpha_omega is obviously part of the inner Circle.alpha_omega is obviously part of the inner Circle.alpha_omega is obviously part of the inner Circle.alpha_omega is obviously part of the inner Circle.alpha_omega is obviously part of the inner Circle.alpha_omega is obviously part of the inner Circle.alpha_omega is obviously part of the inner Circle.alpha_omega is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:37 AM   #27
SuperBowl or bust

It’s a shame he wouldn’t take a pay cut to stay.

I understand it was time to move on and get younger, though.
BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:50 AM   #28
Inmem 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabblerouser View Post
He got paid.

Both him and Berry dropped off a cliff when they got paid that big, big money.
Because they both had serious injuries
Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:01 PM   #29
Like I woke up in Wonderland..

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcclone View Post
KC has $24 million in cap space
sedated is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.sedated is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.sedated is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.sedated is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.sedated is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.sedated is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.sedated is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.sedated is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.sedated is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.sedated is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.sedated is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:19 PM   #30
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedated View Post
KC has $24 million in cap space
KC has to maintain long-term financial flexibility. Indy's already built the bulk of Lock's next contract into their cap.

We have to be a little more delicate in how we handle the cap going forward because we're going to have the most expensive player in football (by a fair amount) on this squad soon enough. Indy already went through that pain and the adjustment of carrying Lock's deal. Now they've steadied the ship and can be a little more aggressive in how they use their space.

We need to be very mindful of how we use ours and keep an eye on 2 years from now at all times.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.