Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 10-05-2018, 11:52 PM  
You Sweetie!

-- Scared in the wilderness - what are/is your stories/story?

Good Evening,

I just started what appears to be a really good movie called 'Hold the Dark' - It prompted me to ask CP - what situations, observations or any other 'tions - have you experienced away from civilization in which had you scared for you life?

Animals, weather, devil worshipers? Primarily what I'm looking for is wild animal encounters.

I know we have quite a few in the Pacific NW that post on here. (bears maybe?)

Just wondering if anyone has any interesting stories regarding this...?

I'd love to hear them...

Thanks
Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 10-06-2018, 02:28 PM   #31
You Sweetie!

I guess I'll hold off on my hornet's nest story for now.
Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 05:40 PM   #32
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply Red View Post
I guess I'll hold off on my hornet's nest story for now.
go ahead, you're nice.
sec
seclark is obviously part of the inner Circle.seclark is obviously part of the inner Circle.seclark is obviously part of the inner Circle.seclark is obviously part of the inner Circle.seclark is obviously part of the inner Circle.seclark is obviously part of the inner Circle.seclark is obviously part of the inner Circle.seclark is obviously part of the inner Circle.seclark is obviously part of the inner Circle.seclark is obviously part of the inner Circle.seclark is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 10-06-2018, 06:19 PM   #33
You Sweetie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seclark View Post
go ahead, you're nice.
sec
I just said that to be funny - One time around 1990 off of Valley View Road in Blue Springs - I saw some lady that was wearing a dingy black robe style dress and she appeared to be in a trance holding a bible. She had just left the QT there on the corner - I later asked about her to the clerks, they'd indicated she's always in another world and seemed to be disturbed. I wasn't really scared but that felt wicket to me - we passed her a few times to observe (both arriving and leaving the Quicktrip)
Old 10-06-2018, 06:30 PM   #34
MVP

I basically live in the wilderness, so not much get's my but puckered... It remains a bit unsettling to see wolves around your deer blind or a bear on the path to the truck. I will say though, being out fishing in the middle of a lake and watching a tornado form and touch down on the shoreline had me a bit puckered. That little boat couldn't go fast enough to the opposite shore where we were camped. Some big trees went down on campers and boat trailers that day, just a mess.
kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old 10-06-2018, 06:33 PM   #35
You Sweetie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kccrow View Post
I basically live in the wilderness, so not much get's my but puckered... It remains a bit unsettling to see wolves around your deer blind or a bear on the path to the truck. I will say though, being out fishing in the middle of a lake and watching a tornado form and touch down on the shoreline had me a bit puckered. That little boat couldn't go fast enough to the opposite shore where we were camped. Some big trees went down on campers and boat trailers that day, just a mess.
Fun! I always dream of tornadoes but have never seen one. Always in my dreams - I'm like; "Okay finally I get to see one!" as it forms in my head - then I wake.
Old 10-06-2018, 07:03 PM   #36
Fish are scared of me

Quote:
Fun! I always dream of tornadoes but have never seen one. Always in my dreams - I'm like; "Okay finally I get to see one!" as it forms in my head - then I wake.
I have tornado dreams also in fact 3 nights ago. And BTW great thread!
Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 07:10 PM   #37
MVP

Quote:
They're pretty rare where I live, especially anything of any size. We might get one every 10 years that's an F1... Last time we had one that was "big" (for our parts) I was a kid and that was an F3. Hasn't been one like that since.
kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old 10-06-2018, 09:03 PM   #38
Live free or die hard

Quote:
I just said that to be funny - One time around 1990 off of Valley View Road in Blue Springs - I saw some lady that was wearing a dingy black robe style dress and she appeared to be in a trance holding a bible. She had just left the QT there on the corner - I later asked about her to the clerks, they'd indicated she's always in another world and seemed to be disturbed. I wasn't really scared but that felt wicket to me - we passed her a few times to observe (both arriving and leaving the Quicktrip)
Did you have to build a shelter and steel & flint up a campfire or was the Quicktrip open all night?

Otter is obviously part of the inner Circle.Otter is obviously part of the inner Circle.Otter is obviously part of the inner Circle.Otter is obviously part of the inner Circle.Otter is obviously part of the inner Circle.Otter is obviously part of the inner Circle.Otter is obviously part of the inner Circle.Otter is obviously part of the inner Circle.Otter is obviously part of the inner Circle.Otter is obviously part of the inner Circle.Otter is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 10-06-2018, 09:10 PM   #39
You Sweetie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
Did you have to build a shelter and steel & flint up a campfire or was the Quicktrip open all night?

I was wondering if she was just backwoods or actually in a cult - something wasn't clicking w/ her.
Old 10-07-2018, 03:59 AM   #40
Supporter

The wilderness here isn’t conducive to fear. I can see for miles in most places.

Been startled by rattle snakes. A couple times in cornfields I heard them but couldn’t see them. That’s not cool. Dad ran across one without a bead in his rattle and he was hoeing weeds in milo and couldn’t find his ass. Fortunately he struck at him but dad coincidentally blocked it with the hoe before he knew anything about it being there.

Fire though, fire is ****. I’ve had a couple decent ones going. Always managed to get them under control but the intervening moments can get hairy especially if it moves toward your way out.

Dust storms are an asshole to get caught in.

I’m pretty boring.
Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 10-07-2018, 07:57 AM   #41
MVP

RAGBRAI. If you don't know what it is its 10,000 people riding their bike across Iowa in July.
The first year I did it I was young and didn't really know the routine of overnight towns and how all that logistic stuff worked.
SO, I roll into this town somewhere in Iowa after a day of drinking and riding. I set up my non-discript tent in what they called Tent City. Eager to go drink some more I took off right after tent set up to hook up with friends. After a hardy night of alcohol I wandered back to tent city and soon realized I had no idea what my tent looked like. So I do what drunk people do and just start opening up random tents looking to see if it was mine.
I got a lot of get the **** out of my tents, random screams, and some old lady that was willing to let me in.
I never did find my tent that night and spent the night on the steps of the County Courthouse.
Scary stuff right?
Graystoke is obviously part of the inner Circle.Graystoke is obviously part of the inner Circle.Graystoke is obviously part of the inner Circle.Graystoke is obviously part of the inner Circle.Graystoke is obviously part of the inner Circle.Graystoke is obviously part of the inner Circle.Graystoke is obviously part of the inner Circle.Graystoke is obviously part of the inner Circle.Graystoke is obviously part of the inner Circle.Graystoke is obviously part of the inner Circle.Graystoke is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 10-07-2018, 08:23 AM   #42
MER

One time I lost my wifi connection.
Katipan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Katipan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Katipan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Katipan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Katipan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Katipan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Katipan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Katipan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Katipan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Katipan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Katipan is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 10-07-2018, 08:31 AM   #43
King Sandbagger

Quote:
I was expecting a scary Devil's Backbone story, dude!
phisherman wants to die in a aids tree fire.phisherman wants to die in a aids tree fire.phisherman wants to die in a aids tree fire.phisherman wants to die in a aids tree fire.phisherman wants to die in a aids tree fire.phisherman wants to die in a aids tree fire.phisherman wants to die in a aids tree fire.phisherman wants to die in a aids tree fire.phisherman wants to die in a aids tree fire.phisherman wants to die in a aids tree fire.phisherman wants to die in a aids tree fire.
Old 10-07-2018, 09:13 AM   #44
It's Five O'Clock Somewhere

You know, other than running into a few bears and moose, I have been very lucky. I have been lost a couple times for a short period of time, but always kept my head and got out. Now with GPS, that would be damn near impossible to do.

After a few "what if that had gone another direction" incidents in the mountains, I always go prepared. I would say over kill in some cases. I know when I ATV with some of my friends, I have caught some crap over how loaded up my hard cases are with emergency equipment. The funny thing is, most of those same guys have needed something out of there on one of our adventures at one time or another.

My philosophy is, better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it, particularly my personal locator beacon. If someone gets really hurt, I can activate it via satellite anywhere in the world and help is on the way. I also take that to Belize every year and bring it along on the fishing trips. Some of those trips can get a little sketchy and some of guides are a little fly by night.

My .500 Smith & Wesson is one other thing I have strapped on at all times if I'm in grizzly bear/moose country, or my 45/70 guide rifle is over my shoulder, both loaded with very hot hard cast rounds.

There was a guide that was killed by two grizzly's a couple of weeks ago. The guides client shot an elk and the guide was cleaning the kill. Two Grizzly's came over the hill and worked over the dude (who ran off) and then killed the guide.

The guide made the fatal mistake of not having his pistol strapped on at the time, or his rifle within arms reach, he should have know better. His pistol was in a pack several yards away. The dude grabbed it but couldn't figure out how to fire the pistol. The dude then made a half hearted attempt of tossing the guide the gun before running off. They found the guides munched up body with a can of bear spray next to him that had been deployed.

That's a prime example of why I don't go up into the mountains with people I don't fully trust. Either my buddy and I are going to both be dead, or the bear is going to be taken out, no one is going to run off. With the guys I ride with, odds are it's going to be the bear.

I know my buddy rockymtnchief will have some good stories, he works outside everyday in the hills and mountains and has shared a few with me.
Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:11 AM   #45
You Sweetie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwana View Post
You know, other than running into a few bears and moose, I have been very lucky. I have been lost a couple times for a short period of time, but always kept my head and got out. Now with GPS, that would be damn near impossible to do.

After a few "what if that had gone another direction" incidents in the mountains, I always go prepared. I would say over kill in some cases. I know when I ATV with some of my friends, I have caught some crap over how loaded up my hard cases are with emergency equipment. The funny thing is, most of those same guys have needed something out of there on one of our adventures at one time or another.

My philosophy is, better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it, particularly my personal locator beacon. If someone gets really hurt, I can activate it via satellite anywhere in the world and help is on the way. I also take that to Belize every year and bring it along on the fishing trips. Some of those trips can get a little sketchy and some of guides are a little fly by night.

My .500 Smith & Wesson is one other thing I have strapped on at all times if I'm in grizzly bear/moose country, or my 45/70 guide rifle is over my shoulder, both loaded with very hot hard cast rounds.

There was a guide that was killed by two grizzly's a couple of weeks ago. The guides client shot an elk and the guide was cleaning the kill. Two Grizzly's came over the hill and worked over the dude (who ran off) and then killed the guide.

The guide made the fatal mistake of not having his pistol strapped on at the time, or his rifle within arms reach, he should have know better. His pistol was in a pack several yards away. The dude grabbed it but couldn't figure out how to fire the pistol. The dude then made a half hearted attempt of tossing the guide the gun before running off. They found the guides munched up body with a can of bear spray next to him that had been deployed.

That's a prime example of why I don't go up into the mountains with people I don't fully trust. Either my buddy and I are going to both be dead, or the bear is going to be taken out, no one is going to run off. With the guys I ride with, odds are it's going to be the bear.

I know my buddy rockymtnchief will have some good stories, he works outside everyday in the hills and mountains and has shared a few with me.
At last - let me refill my coffee before I read this.