Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 11-21-2017, 04:16 PM  
In Search of a Life

David Carr " Chiefs have higher upside with Mahomes"

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Yet, here we are looking at the same Kansas City Chiefs offense we've seen year after year.

The Chiefs have made three playoff appearances since Reid took over as head coach in 2013, losing once in the wild-card game (2013) and twice in the divisional round (2015, 2016). I'm a fan of Reid and quarterback Alex Smith, but with the way things are right now, they'll be sitting at home while Pittsburgh and New England duke it out on Championship Sunday.

I was Smith's teammate in San Francisco for one year (2010) and I got to know him well. When the weather starts playing a bigger factor in games late in the season, he's not a guy who can make tough throws in tough conditions. He's particular and wants the football a certain way. The colder the weather the firmer the ball and other conditions make the ball slippery. It's really hard to play in inclement weather as a quarterback, yet there are some guys -- like Brett Favre -- who could grab a ball out of a bucket of water or pile of mud and hurl it downfield. But everybody's not like that, including Smith. The conditions have to be right and the running game has to be there. As we've witnessed throughout his career, Smith isn't often going to transcend an offense and win a game on huge throws -- a frequent critique. He's just not that type of quarterback.

Early in the season, we saw Smith make those big plays and the Chiefs were rolling. We've seen downfield shots slowly digress as the season's gone on, a trend that goes back to at least the past two seasons. Since 2015, Smith has been far more effective throwing the ball down field (20-pus air yards) through the Chiefs' first eight games than he has in their final eight, completing more passes (42.1 percent vs. 36.7 percent) with a better TD-to-INT ratio (8:0 vs. 2:4) and a significantly higher passer rating (124.3 vs. 63.1).

Furthermore, since Smith's first year with the Chiefs in 2013, his passer rating on pass attempts of more than 20 yards has fallen off in the second half of the season.

September: 92.0
October: 111.1
November: 63.5
Dec.-Jan.: 68.8

The Chiefs' high-flying offense started to stall after the Steelers exposed a weakness in Week 6. Pittsburgh played more zone coverage and allowed them to throw the ball underneath by respecting the ability of Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce to make things happen downfield. In addition, the run game hasn't been as effective the last five games (the Chiefs are 1-4 in that stretch), averaging 81 rush yards per game. That's 70 yards per game fewer than Kansas City put up in its first five games (all wins). In my opinion, Smith needs the run game to improve or we'll likely see him continue to struggle throwing the ball downfield as this season progresses.

I know this sounds crazy, but there's a case for Patrick Mahomes, who played well in the preseason, to start in place of Smith as the playoffs near. The Chiefs gave up a third-rounder and next year's first to draft Mahomes, viewing him as their franchise quarterback of the future. He's a gunslinger who adds another dimension in the pass game when a) the weather worsens, and b) they're trying to go head to head with the AFC's best offenses.

It's definitely possible the Chiefs could find themselves in a Nathan Peterman situation, especially if they don't handle the timing of the switch well. We don't know. What I do know, though, is we can expect the same ending to the Chiefs' story if they don't change up their cast of characters.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...-limits-chiefs
Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:47 AM   #631
Best Body On ChiefsPlanet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk digler View Post
Yep. Andy definitely believes Alex deserves to finish out the playoffs. After we are eliminated then he can ride off into the sunset to Cleveland.
Yeah I'm sure Dorsey is going to be jumping for joy at the opportunity to trade with the team that unjustifiably fired him. This Browns trade crap is an illusion. He's not going there. I doubt Alex 'I Lead The NFL In Passer Rating' Smith would want to play for a team that went 0-16. He'd probably retire instead.

My money is on Jags, Bills, etc... A team that is a contender that needs help.
PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:49 AM   #632
Black Bob's daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy View Post
Yeah I'm sure Dorsey is going to be jumping for joy at the opportunity to trade with the team that unjustifiably fired him. This Browns trade crap is an illusion. He's not going there. I doubt Alex 'I Lead The NFL In Passer Rating' Smith would want to play for a team that went 0-16. He'd probably retire instead.

He'll retire instead of getting paid $20 million to play another season? I don't think so.
OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:52 AM   #633
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 View Post
He took 2 sacks against a starting defense with 4 starters on the offensive line out of the lineup. In his first start. Wtf is the matter with you?
That's what happens when you have turn-styles as offensive linemen. And about that Bronco front 7?

They are an effing joke
Pueblo Chieftan < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Pueblo Chieftan < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Pueblo Chieftan < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Pueblo Chieftan < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Pueblo Chieftan < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Pueblo Chieftan < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Pueblo Chieftan < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Pueblo Chieftan < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Pueblo Chieftan < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Pueblo Chieftan < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Pueblo Chieftan < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:53 AM   #634
Mahomes Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcellus View Post
WTF does this place put up with poster like Tigger? Posters like him and Black Bob are bringing this place to its knees. They bring zero value to any discussion.
CP is the only place I can find fans that aren't totally in love with Alex Smith and his classy mediocre style of game managing.

I can't bring myself to look at anything Chiefs related on Facebook, and the constant stupidity out of Tiger and his minions make CP just as stupid.

Sick of it all, and am so ready for the Smith era to be over.
Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 07:53 AM   #635
Black Bob's daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblo Chieftan View Post
That's what happens when you have turn-styles as offensive linemen. And about that Bronco front 7 ?

They are an effing joke
No they really aren't. Their front 7 was very solid most of the season.
OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:55 AM   #636
Black Bob's daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molitoth View Post
CP is the only place I can find fans that aren't totally in love with Alex Smith and his classy mediocre style of game managing.

I can't bring myself to look at anything Chiefs related on Facebook, and the constant stupidity out of Tiger and his minions make CP just as stupid.

The fans you see on social media are sickening. They'd have us sign Smith to an extension.

Aaron Rodgers sat for 3 years, so of course that means Mahomes should. Smith is the equivalent of Favre, after all.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:57 AM   #637
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigeRRUppeRRcut View Post
Yep. Reid's got his slow cooker going for the kid. We don't even know his durability and are without a viable backup if he were to go down. 2 playoff wins and Smith more than likely stays.
Andy Reid says he's not ready to bench Alex Smith in favor of the rookie Patrick Mahomes: "No," Reid said when asked if a change would be made soon. "That's not where I'm at right now. There's a couple other things I got to take care of."

1. Blank

2. Blank

Fill in the blanks
Pueblo Chieftan < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Pueblo Chieftan < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Pueblo Chieftan < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Pueblo Chieftan < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Pueblo Chieftan < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Pueblo Chieftan < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Pueblo Chieftan < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Pueblo Chieftan < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Pueblo Chieftan < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Pueblo Chieftan < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Pueblo Chieftan < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:00 AM   #638
Best Body On ChiefsPlanet

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKchiefs View Post
He'll retire instead of getting paid $20 million to play another season? I don't think so.
Alex Smith isn't some guy working a 9-5 making 100k a year. He's already rich and has more money than he can spend in a lifetime. An extra 20-million is not going to change his life in any drastic way. Now I cannot speak for him but logically thinking I don't think he is going to want to go to an 0-16 team at this point in his career and with the amount of money he has in the bank.

So I think the posters saying he will go to the Browns are disillusion. Why would the Browns trade for him anyway? They are in rebuild mode. They are going to want to draft a young QB that they can build an offensive scheme for and watch him grow. The only reason some of you are saying the Browns is because you have this illogical hate of Smitty and want him to go to a bad team. Totally stupid.

Last edited by PAChiefsGuy; 01-02-2018 at 08:17 AM..
PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:00 AM   #639
Black Bob's daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblo Chieftan View Post
Andy Reid says he's not ready to bench Alex Smith in favor of the rookie Patrick Mahomes: "No," Reid said when asked if a change would be made soon. "That's not where I'm at right now. There's a couple other things I got to take care of."

1. Blank

2. Blank

Fill in the blanks
WTF does that even mean? Smith is gone before the draft, guaranteed.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:12 AM   #640
Banned

Quote:
WTF does that even mean?
It is self-explanatory. It means what it says:

Fill in the blanks

Old 01-02-2018, 08:20 AM   #641
Please squeeze

Quote:

Ok. I don't care where he goes just go away. I appreciate everything he has done but it is time to move on.
dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:23 AM   #642
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Alex Smith isn't some guy working a 9-5 making 100k a year. He's already rich and has more money than he can spend in a lifetime. An extra 20-million is not going to change his life in any drastic way.

You guys are disillusion. Why would the Browns trade for him anyway? They are in rebuild mode. They are going to want to draft a young QB that they can build an offensive scheme for and watch him grow. The only reason some of you are saying the Browns is because you have this illogical hate of Smitty and want him to go to a bad team. Totally stupid.
1. Browns have started around 25 qbs in 17 years. Alex is stability they badly need
2. Hue jackson has experience with West coast. If Dorsey hires someone, he is definitely running WCO
3. The browns have won 4 games in 3 years. They haven't sniffed a playoff in 13 years. You honestly think the fans will tolerate another rebuild? You think Haslem likes being considered the worst owner in sports?
4. The browns have $118m in cap space. You honestly think they're not going to spend on a ton of veterans who can help right away?
5. Dorsey went on record saying he will have the browns ready not later but immediately
6. Browns have had 4 drafted qbs bust spectacularly in the last 20 years. They can't sell the fans a rookie as their next hope. And Dorsey isn't going to gamble and put all his chips on a rookie qb, especially since the QB he covets most is a big project

Have you ever talked to a browns fan? They're excited as hell about getting an Alex Smith. And they know his limitations. They don't want a rebuild. The super bowl is the farthest thing in their mind. 8-8 for them is their super bowl.

Last edited by chiefzilla1501; 01-02-2018 at 08:34 AM..
chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:26 AM   #643
Still Got The Blues (For You)

Quote:
Alex Smith isn't some guy working a 9-5 making 100k a year. He's already rich and has more money than he can spend in a lifetime. An extra 20-million is not going to change his life in any drastic way. Now I cannot speak for him but logically thinking I don't think he is going to want to go to an 0-16 team at this point in his career and with the amount of money he has in the bank.

So I think the posters saying he will go to the Browns are disillusion. Why would the Browns trade for him anyway? They are in rebuild mode. They are going to want to draft a young QB that they can build an offensive scheme for and watch him grow. The only reason some of you are saying the Browns is because you have this illogical hate of Smitty and want him to go to a bad team. Totally stupid.
I can see why the Browns would want to instantly bring in a winning culture... and we have watched Alex do that in Franchise history fashion for the 2-14 laughingstock Chiefs of 2012.

So, I can see the interest from Cleveland.

Will Alex feel the same? because I can tell you for sure... KC is going to keep it classy with Smith.. and they will work a deal much like SF did. They will talk to Smith about where his interests are.. and they will work out an arrangement beneficial to all parties.

That's just the reality of it. The jackass greedy fans in groups here and there won't rub off on Reid and Hunt.

Worse come to worse, Alex will indeed flip the bird to KC and the NFL. Like you alluded to, that 100 million dollar dude is rolling in it and laughing. I'm still thinking he may just retire anyway. He'd be smart to; CTE is not something to play around with.. not for an intelligent 34 yr old millionaire.

Who is doin' it better, Hate Club? lol
Sandy Vagina has disabled reputation
Old 01-02-2018, 08:26 AM   #644
Please squeeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molitoth View Post

Quote:
The fans you see on social media are sickening. They'd have us sign Smith to an extension.

Aaron Rodgers sat for 3 years, so of course that means Mahomes should. Smith is the equivalent of Favre, after all.
The bad thing is alot of those same people are probably Chief ST holders and while I blame the Hunt family for never ever drafting a 1st rd stud QB this fan base is also to blame. Why? Because there is a very large majority of this fan base that doesn't have the patience to watch a young QB develop and the Hunt family knows this. They would rather have Elvis Grbac, Steve Bono, Damon Huard, Matt Cassel, or Alex Smith's be the QB than watch a young QB develop.
dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:28 AM   #645
Andy Reid Supporter

Border Patrol: do you think this is Pat’s team next year?
Mellinger: After that performance? Yes I really do.
RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.