Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room > Media Center
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 03-10-2023, 11:54 AM  
sorta mod-ish

VOIP Scam Calls

So, I'm not exactly sure what link I've clicked or feedback I've given to God-knows-who, but for about the last 4 or 5 months I've been receiving a totally unacceptable level of scam calls. I don't pick up the majority of them, but when I do there's been two different types of call - one is wanting to know if I would like to donate to firefighters or state troopers, the other says they've received my request checking on insurance plans (and the always start by calling me "Gerald"). I've politely and not-so-politely asked both entities to remove my number from their call lists, all to no effect.

So as the calls have gone on, I've tried doing the reverse number lookup thing. Most of the numbers come from rural areas in Missouri, generally from the same or neighboring area codes. Some of the searches return numbers that have been identified as scam numbers, so I block them. At this point I have well over 125 numbers blocked and I get no fewer than 3 or 4 of these bullshit calls a day. I've been on the national no call registry for a long time, but apparently this VOIP system allows these turds to bypass the rules somehow?

The question is what I can definitively do to stop this annoying crap from happening any longer, if there is anything I CAN do?
Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-16-2023, 01:54 PM   #16
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS

I still get some occasionally, but now it's three or four a week as opposed to perhaps a dozen or more a day like a few years ago. Mostly they were from spoofed legit numbers with my area code and prefix, and it got so bad that I finally had to turn my ringer off at work. I must have blocked over a hundred numbers before I finally got Robokiller. It doesn't get them all, but it ended that bullshit in a hurry.

I really hope there is a special level of hell for these ****ers.
Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 04:26 PM   #17
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazod View Post
I still get some occasionally, but now it's three or four a week as opposed to perhaps a dozen or more a day like a few years ago. Mostly they were from spoofed legit numbers with my area code and prefix, and it got so bad that I finally had to turn my ringer off at work. I must have blocked over a hundred numbers before I finally got Robokiller. It doesn't get them all, but it ended that bullshit in a hurry.

I really hope there is a special level of hell for these ****ers.

I believe that place is called India ,lol sorry i couldnt help with that one.
PurpleJesus28 is not part of the Right 53.PurpleJesus28 is not part of the Right 53.PurpleJesus28 is not part of the Right 53.PurpleJesus28 is not part of the Right 53.PurpleJesus28 is not part of the Right 53.PurpleJesus28 is not part of the Right 53.PurpleJesus28 is not part of the Right 53.PurpleJesus28 is not part of the Right 53.PurpleJesus28 is not part of the Right 53.PurpleJesus28 is not part of the Right 53.PurpleJesus28 is not part of the Right 53.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 09:38 AM   #18
sorta mod-ish

I have over 500 numbers blocked now. It's just crazy.
Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-23-2024, 10:05 AM   #19
They gon' regret that trade!!

I got a call from my own damn number. Sneaky bastids!!
redfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.redfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.redfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.redfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.redfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.redfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.redfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.redfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.redfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.redfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.redfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-23-2024, 11:19 AM   #20
Veteran

I was an Android user, specifically the Nexus and then the Pixel phones from Google, for more than a decade until 2021. Google has some software that blocks spam calls from even ringing your phone. No freaking clue how it works, but I swear to god I would get less than 5 spam calls/year.

And I never really appreciated it until I switched to an iPhone. I don't get nearly then amount the OP is talking about, but it's more like 5-6 a week rather than an entire year. It's completely annoying and maddening. One of the many things I miss about having an Android but I assume it's proprietary in some way bc I don't think other OS or manufacturers have figured it out.
blake5676 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelliblake5676 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelliblake5676 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelliblake5676 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelliblake5676 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelliblake5676 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelliblake5676 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelliblake5676 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelliblake5676 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelliblake5676 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelliblake5676 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
Old 02-23-2024, 02:59 PM   #21
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowser View Post
I have over 500 numbers blocked now. It's just crazy.
So there was a law change apparently last year. Short version of it is that if you make outbound phone calls to multiple numbers (don't know the threshold) and they appear to come from the same phone #, legitimate or not, it will show as SPAM.

We have this issue with our business. Same caller outbound caller ID for thousands of customers; all of our calls are marked as SPAM now.

It's stupid.
Mr. Plow is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Plow is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Plow is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Plow is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Plow is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Plow is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Plow is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Plow is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Plow is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Plow is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Plow is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-23-2024, 03:01 PM   #22
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfan View Post
Our phone system allows this.
Mr. Plow is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Plow is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Plow is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Plow is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Plow is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Plow is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Plow is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Plow is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Plow is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Plow is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Plow is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-23-2024, 09:48 PM   #23
Live free or die hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
Sadly, I don't answer my phone any more unless it's a number that's already in my contacts. If it's legit, they'll leave a message (I hope).

99 percent of the calls I receive now are these scammers, and I hope they all die in a third-world bus crash. Slowly. Not painlessly decapitated. I hope they're pinned under the bus for days with many broken bones before they finally die of thirst.

This
Otter is obviously part of the inner Circle.Otter is obviously part of the inner Circle.Otter is obviously part of the inner Circle.Otter is obviously part of the inner Circle.Otter is obviously part of the inner Circle.Otter is obviously part of the inner Circle.Otter is obviously part of the inner Circle.Otter is obviously part of the inner Circle.Otter is obviously part of the inner Circle.Otter is obviously part of the inner Circle.Otter is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-23-2024, 10:12 PM   #24
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfan View Post
Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 4 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 06:49 AM   #25
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazod View Post
It is pretty easy for me to identify spam calls down here, as most of them come from the numerous different area codes up there, since my number is still the one I had up there with a 630 area code.

For some reason the previous two weeks was relentless with them, but I must have gotten them all blocked, as it has stopped.

If a call comes in with the 417 area code, it has always been legit so far.
HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-25-2024, 08:52 PM   #26
Politically Incorrect

The amount of bullshit calls I am fielding on our company's RingCentral number is staggering.

Like 30-40 a day
scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-29-2024, 02:11 PM   #27
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Plow View Post
So there was a law change apparently last year. Short version of it is that if you make outbound phone calls to multiple numbers (don't know the threshold) and they appear to come from the same phone #, legitimate or not, it will show as SPAM.

We have this issue with our business. Same caller outbound caller ID for thousands of customers; all of our calls are marked as SPAM now.

It's stupid.
Can you have that changed if you prove that you're a legitimate business?
Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-29-2024, 03:26 PM   #28
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lzen View Post
Can you have that changed if you prove that you're a legitimate business?
Yes, but it's a process. And even if it's done correctly, there is a chance that we'll end up back on the list.
Old 02-29-2024, 04:11 PM   #29
In my youth i pray to keep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scho63 View Post
The amount of bullshit calls I am fielding on our company's RingCentral number is staggering.

Like 30-40 a day
I've been getting dozens a day for months. It's making me want to invade India to shut these ****ers down. I have 2, TWO, spam blockers on my phone and they still sneak one through occasionally
bdj23 is obviously part of the inner Circle.bdj23 is obviously part of the inner Circle.bdj23 is obviously part of the inner Circle.bdj23 is obviously part of the inner Circle.bdj23 is obviously part of the inner Circle.bdj23 is obviously part of the inner Circle.bdj23 is obviously part of the inner Circle.bdj23 is obviously part of the inner Circle.bdj23 is obviously part of the inner Circle.bdj23 is obviously part of the inner Circle.bdj23 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-29-2024, 10:40 PM   #30
Emporer of Mongo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
Sadly, I don't answer my phone any more unless it's a number that's already in my contacts. If it's legit, they'll leave a message (I hope).

99 percent of the calls I receive now are these scammers, and I hope they all die in a third-world bus crash. Slowly. Not painlessly decapitated. I hope they're pinned under the bus for days with many broken bones before they finally die of thirst.

same, i just have a message that says due to spam calls, please leave a message with your name and reason for calling, or text me with your name and reason for calling.
Ming the Merciless is obviously part of the inner Circle.Ming the Merciless is obviously part of the inner Circle.Ming the Merciless is obviously part of the inner Circle.Ming the Merciless is obviously part of the inner Circle.Ming the Merciless is obviously part of the inner Circle.Ming the Merciless is obviously part of the inner Circle.Ming the Merciless is obviously part of the inner Circle.Ming the Merciless is obviously part of the inner Circle.Ming the Merciless is obviously part of the inner Circle.Ming the Merciless is obviously part of the inner Circle.Ming the Merciless is obviously part of the inner Circle.