Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room > Media Center
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 06-21-2021, 02:49 PM  

Netflix Series: The Last Kingdom

Anybody else watch this? It's kind of a wannabe Game of Thrones, but in an actual historical setting in 9th-10th century England. That time period includes the rise/reign of Alfred the Great, which coincides with full-scale invasion by Vikings. It's a mix of fictional and historical figures, with the main character being fictional. The Vikings, known in the show as the "Danes" are pretty savage. In GoT probably most comparable to House Bolton. Just finished Season 4, and sounds like Season 5 is in the works, so I can't be the only one who watched.

Would recommend for anybody who enjoys learning about history. The show could probably stand on it's own just fine if it was completely fictional, but the fact that it's not adds a lot for me. Just looking at some expert blog posts about accuracy they do take liberties to make it more Hollywood, but did not completely de-rail from what is historically known. For me watching a series on a historical period burns in the timeline and the key players, forces, and themes to memory better than just spending an hour surfing through wiki pages would. Curious what others think on this one.
wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-21-2021, 03:04 PM   #2
Gimme My Berries Back!

Loved it. Uhtred!!!
BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 06:00 PM   #3
Here We Go Again

We watched a couple seasons, maybe three. It just felt like it had run its course and we didn't feel like finishing it.
lawrenceRaider has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.lawrenceRaider has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.lawrenceRaider has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.lawrenceRaider has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.lawrenceRaider has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.lawrenceRaider has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.lawrenceRaider has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.lawrenceRaider has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.lawrenceRaider has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.lawrenceRaider has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.lawrenceRaider has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
Old 06-22-2021, 09:28 AM   #4
Supporter

There are a couple threads about it around here, but I'm a pretty big fan.

But understand this: The historical accuracy is shaky at best. Don't believe this is what really happened. The sword is a joke, the tactics are not very accurate, The castles - nope. But that's not why fat boy tunes in. I really enjoy the show.

I dig the characters even though you'd think I wouldn't, given what I like otherwise. And they manage to keep the story interesting.

And I call people "assling" whenever possible.
Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-22-2021, 02:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buehler445 View Post
There are a couple threads about it around here, but I'm a pretty big fan.

But understand this: The historical accuracy is shaky at best. Don't believe this is what really happened. The sword is a joke, the tactics are not very accurate, The castles - nope. But that's not why fat boy tunes in. I really enjoy the show.

I dig the characters even though you'd think I wouldn't, given what I like otherwise. And they manage to keep the story interesting.

And I call people "assling" whenever possible.
I did a search for "Last Kingdom" in thread titles, and didn't find any going back to 2015. Figured it probably was buried somewhere in a megathread or offshoot of some other conversation as it is too big of a series to be completely missed.

Enjoying it really is the key, rather than expecting historical perfection. There are some interesting insights into succession of the throne and how it was really decided back then that I think is decently accurate, though. Not a strict "your oldest son gets the crown" situation.
wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-23-2021, 11:07 PM   #6
Starter

Season 5 has finished filming and is in post-production now, probably won’t be released until early 2022. Season 5 will be the final season of The Last Kingdom. It is a great show, can’t wait for the final season.
kevrunner is not part of the Right 53.kevrunner is not part of the Right 53.kevrunner is not part of the Right 53.kevrunner is not part of the Right 53.kevrunner is not part of the Right 53.kevrunner is not part of the Right 53.kevrunner is not part of the Right 53.kevrunner is not part of the Right 53.kevrunner is not part of the Right 53.kevrunner is not part of the Right 53.kevrunner is not part of the Right 53.
Old 03-28-2022, 03:17 AM   #7
Starter

Just binged the final season, it’s tuff to follow the names sometimes but I thought it was well done. Going to miss Uhtred of Bebbanburg, but was happy to find out that there will be a 2 hour movie that is supposed to air in 2023 on Netflix, they are already filming it so it’s not a rumor.
kevrunner is not part of the Right 53.kevrunner is not part of the Right 53.kevrunner is not part of the Right 53.kevrunner is not part of the Right 53.kevrunner is not part of the Right 53.kevrunner is not part of the Right 53.kevrunner is not part of the Right 53.kevrunner is not part of the Right 53.kevrunner is not part of the Right 53.kevrunner is not part of the Right 53.kevrunner is not part of the Right 53.
Old 03-28-2022, 05:02 AM   #8
The Boom Boom Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevrunner View Post
Just binged the final season, it’s tuff to follow the names sometimes but I thought it was well done. Going to miss Uhtred of Bebbanburg, but was happy to find out that there will be a 2 hour movie that is supposed to air in 2023 on Netflix, they are already filming it so it’s not a rumor.
BTW, binge Last Kingdom 1st before watching Vikings: Valhalla
Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-28-2022, 05:40 AM   #9
Rockin' yer FACE OFF!

This show was absolutely great start to finish. I was really hoping against a let down like GoT, and they did a fantastic job with the whole thing. I too will miss the Arseling!

This last season had a lot of emotion for Uhtred, and Alexzander Draymon was just awesome to watch. His character has really grown since the beginning of the show. I don't want to comment too much on the last season, there are a ton of thoughts and I don't want to put spoiler tags...but suffice to say that this season does the show proud. I'm looking forward to the 2 hour movie which will wrap everything up, but honestly, it's not really needed. They did a good job ending the show. That said, I DON'T CARE, I WANT ME SOME UHTRED!!
InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-28-2022, 05:41 AM   #10
Rockin' yer FACE OFF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare View Post
BTW, binge Last Kingdom 1st before watching Vikings: Valhalla
That's next on my queue...did you watch it all? Is it related to Last Kingdom?
InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-28-2022, 07:04 PM   #11
It's just a ride.

Solid 8.5 out of 10, filled my weird itch for GoT styled TV series. Sucks they had to stuff 3 series worth of material into one season at the end but at least we got a proper finale.

Absolutely worth a watch and the guy playing Uhtred is killer.
Iconic is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Iconic is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Iconic is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Iconic is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Iconic is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Iconic is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Iconic is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Iconic is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Iconic is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Iconic is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Iconic is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
Old 03-28-2022, 09:56 PM   #12
The Boom Boom Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by InChiefsHeaven View Post

Indirectly when it comes to History
Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-29-2022, 08:16 AM   #13
MVP

Quote:
Valhalla is the sequel to Vikings.
unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 03-29-2022, 10:55 AM   #14
Rockin' yer FACE OFF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlurking View Post
Valhalla is the sequel to Vikings.
Which makes sense. I never got to Vikings, was just mentioning to the wife the other day that we should look into that one, though it does have a lot of seasons, so a lot to catch up on. Do I need to watch Vikings to understand Valhalla?
Old 03-29-2022, 11:13 AM   #15
The Boom Boom Room

Quote:
Which makes sense. I never got to Vikings, was just mentioning to the wife the other day that we should look into that one, though it does have a lot of seasons, so a lot to catch up on. Do I need to watch Vikings to understand Valhalla?

Yes, if you want the full continuity. The Last Kingdom slightly overlaps with the "Vikings"narrative