Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room > Media Center
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 06-21-2021, 12:07 PM  
MVP

Home Audio recs

So, I bought an OLED TV and now I need a recommendation on an audio system for it. Not looking to break the bank I just don't know anything about them. Like brands, I guess I need Dolby Atmos supported?
TambaBerry 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.TambaBerry 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.TambaBerry 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.TambaBerry 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.TambaBerry 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.TambaBerry 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.TambaBerry 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.TambaBerry 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.TambaBerry 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.TambaBerry 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.TambaBerry 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old 06-22-2021, 01:38 PM   #16
Fight, build, win!

I personally think you are spending a lot of dollars to not have to hide a wire. Your ears adjust to what you are hearing. Many get these wireless speaks because of wife problems or the hassle of stringing out and concealing wire. Then they go to a real home theater done right and are blown away by what they hear.

You can buy a lot of HT for the price of Sonus IMO.
srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-22-2021, 01:43 PM   #17
Psycho Bag Of Squanch

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvy View Post
I personally think you are spending a lot of dollars to not have to hide a wire. Your ears adjust to what you are hearing. Many get these wireless speaks because of wife problems or the hassle of stringing out and concealing wire. Then they go to a real home theater done right and are blown away by what they hear.

You can buy a lot of HT for the price of Sonus IMO.
No doubt that the wireless is a draw. I agree with you that it’s not the only way to go. Different strokes for different folks. I like the airplay and Spotify features. Don’t know if you can get that with wired.
vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-22-2021, 01:46 PM   #18
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by vailpass View Post
To me it is. Set up was easy, it tests the shape of your room and calibrates accordingly. The sound is rich, the surround is incredible, and the volume is booming if you want. It’s a premium price but you just got a premium TV so why short it? I can’t say it’s what you would want but I’m happy with it.
Everything I've researched today has pointed to it, and I agree with the premium stuff. Sound is just as important as the screen to me. I just know nothing about sound haha
TambaBerry 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.TambaBerry 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.TambaBerry 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.TambaBerry 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.TambaBerry 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.TambaBerry 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.TambaBerry 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.TambaBerry 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.TambaBerry 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.TambaBerry 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.TambaBerry 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old 06-22-2021, 01:49 PM   #19
MVP

Where I'm putting it is a basement where it's I'd guess 14-16 feet wide and about 20-25 feet deep that connects to a larger open area.
Old 06-22-2021, 01:50 PM   #20
MVP

The house I bought has speakers wired into the ceiling
Old 06-22-2021, 01:52 PM   #21
Psycho Bag Of Squanch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TambaBerry View Post
Everything I've researched today has pointed to it, and I agree with the premium stuff. Sound is just as important as the screen to me. I just know nothing about sound haha
There are many good options, you’ll be happy no matter which way you go. Wireless is nice because it’s so clean in your room. Good luck and congrats.
vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-22-2021, 02:28 PM   #22
Fight, build, win!

Quote:
No doubt that the wireless is a draw. I agree with you that it’s not the only way to go. Different strokes for different folks. I like the airplay and Spotify features. Don’t know if you can get that with wired.
You can via the HT receiver.
srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-22-2021, 02:54 PM   #23
Fight, build, win!

If it's a dedicated basement home theater then chances are it won't be moved around. If it's a living room most like redecoration will happen wireless may be a good decision in this area.

IMO the two most important aspects of your system are a good subwoofer and center channel speaker. The lows make the experience in action films. There is nothing worse than not being able to hear and make out voices when it switches to mostly dialog. Most home theater receivers have the ability to adjust the crossovers to help this. Most receivers have software and a mic to configure the speakers to room environment and its pretty good but never gets the center correct and needs manual tweeking.

Choosing a sub if you are only interested HT movies and sporting events get a ported sub they go lower. If you use it for both HT and music get a sealed sub. They are more musical wont go as low but still plenty good. I like Power Sound Audio, REL and HSU for HT subs.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 03:27 PM   #24
Supporter

Quote:
I have the Sonos Arc and am happy with it.
Do you have rear speakers and a sub or just the bar? If it's just the bar, how is the faux surround?

I'm getting ready to upgrade my family room and living room with new soundbars/surround systems and the less hardware, the better.

Thanks!
DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-22-2021, 03:34 PM   #25
MVP

Lots of good advice in here, thank you everyone
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 05:51 PM   #26
Psycho Bag Of Squanch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud View Post
Do you have rear speakers and a sub or just the bar? If it's just the bar, how is the faux surround?

I'm getting ready to upgrade my family room and living room with new soundbars/surround systems and the less hardware, the better.

Thanks!
Just the bar. The faux surround is plenty for me but I’m not an audiophile so other people’s mileage may vary. I like to run clean. Being able to wall mount it below the screen is aesthetically appealing for me.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 06:17 PM   #27
Supporter

Quote:
Just the bar. The faux surround is plenty for me but I’m not an audiophile so other people’s mileage may vary. I like to run clean. Being able to wall mount it below the screen is aesthetically appealing for me.
Awesome, man, thanks for the info!

I prefer the "cleaner" look as well and having a subwoofer in a Family Room is not aesthetically pleasing, so if I could get away with just a soundbar, I'd be stoked.

I recently purchased a TCL soundbar with a built-in subwoofer to match a 6 series TCL Roku 4K TV and while it's fine for our Master bedroom, I need more power and bottom end for the family room and living room than it provides.

That said, it was super easy to integrate with the TCL TV via HDMI ARC and using only one remote control was an important for my wife. It's definitely decent but not something I'd recommend for a family room or home theater.
DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-22-2021, 06:28 PM   #28
Psycho Bag Of Squanch

Quote:
Awesome, man, thanks for the info!

I prefer the "cleaner" look as well and having a subwoofer in a Family Room is not aesthetically pleasing, so if I could get away with just a soundbar, I'd be stoked.

I recently purchased a TCL soundbar with a built-in subwoofer to match a 6 series TCL Roku 4K TV and while it's fine for our Master bedroom, I need more power and bottom end for the family room and living room than it provides.

That said, it was super easy to integrate with the TCL TV via HDMI ARC and using only one remote control was an important for my wife. It's definitely decent but not something I'd recommend for a family room or home theater.
Sounds like a nice system. The Dolby Atmos is enough for me with the Sonos. Obviously you can always add rear speakers and/or sub. I guess it’s a balance on how much hardware you want to integrate. I’d say Sonos is as quality a piece as I’ve had. You’ve likely forgotten more about music and movie sound than I’ll ever know so my experience may not relate to yours.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 06:32 PM   #29
Supporter

Quote:
Sounds like a nice system. The Dolby Atmos is enough for me with the Sonos. Obviously you can always add rear speakers and/or sub. I guess it’s a balance on how much hardware you want to integrate. I’d say Sonos is as quality a piece as I’ve had.
Yeah, the TCL has Dolby Atmos and it's very decent for the price (I think it was like $149) but it doesn't have the extended bottom end that I really need to fulfill my sonic appetite. I'm actually a bigger stickler for audio than I am video.

Sonos was the first brand I was going to investigate before adding new gear to the other rooms and it's good to know that it's expandable as well because all of their other products that I've heard have been fantastic. Having the option to add satellites and a subwoofer almost seals the deal because I'd rather start out "small" then add if/when necessary.
Old 06-22-2021, 06:50 PM   #30
Psycho Bag Of Squanch

Quote:
Yeah, the TCL has Dolby Atmos and it's very decent for the price (I think it was like $149) but it doesn't have the extended bottom end that I really need to fulfill my sonic appetite. I'm actually a bigger stickler for audio than I am video.

Sonos was the first brand I was going to investigate before adding new gear to the other rooms and it's good to know that it's expandable as well because all of their other products that I've heard have been fantastic. Having the option to add satellites and a subwoofer almost seals the deal because I'd rather start out "small" then add if/when necessary.
Exactly. Being able to scale is key. Hearing it in a show room is one thing, how it actually sounds in your home is another. One thing I like about Sonos is how it scans and calibrates for your specific room.