Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 02-26-2020, 10:28 PM  
MVP

***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***

A couple of reminders...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwana View Post
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartgod View Post
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

Last edited by Bearcat; 03-25-2020 at 08:56 AM.. Reason: adding spoiler tag
JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 08-29-2020, 01:43 PM   #43831
"Think BOOM!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MahomesMagic View Post
Your Coronavirus Test Is Positive. Maybe It Shouldn’t Be.

In three sets of testing data that include cycle thresholds, compiled by officials in Massachusetts, New York and Nevada, up to 90 percent of people testing positive carried barely any virus, a review by The Times found..

In Massachusetts, from 85 to 90 percent of people who tested positive in July with a cycle threshold of 40 would have been deemed negative if the threshold were 30 cycles, Dr. Mina said. “I would say that none of those people should be contact-traced, not one,” he said.
Other experts informed of these numbers were stunned.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/29/h...s-testing.html
Great. So, new cases are determined by testing, not that that really needed confirmation.

I don't think anyone has or is claiming that the PCR test is perfect; it's not. But it's better than nothing.

But to say that cases don't matter is asinine. It's so ridiculous that I'm surprised that anyone has the audacity to say it.

Would you like to revise this?

https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/show...ostcount=43822
Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-29-2020, 02:07 PM   #43832
Life is changing..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donger View Post
Great. So, new cases are determined by testing, not that that really needed confirmation.

I don't think anyone has or is claiming that the PCR test is perfect; it's not. But it's better than nothing.

But to say that cases don't matter is asinine. It's so ridiculous that I'm surprised that anyone has the audacity to say it.

Off topic, but was going to make a point that the article already makes for me.

Quote:
Instead, new data underscore the need for more widespread use of rapid tests, even if they are less sensitive.
This has nothing to do with your argument. Please continue.
TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-29-2020, 02:13 PM   #43833
Generational Player

Quote:

The PCR tests don't give a yes or no answer. They have to be calibrated and according to people who want to detect actual infections they are currently calibrated to too many cycles.

This means that many of these cases are not actual cases.
MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old 08-29-2020, 02:15 PM   #43834
"Think BOOM!"

Quote:
The PCR tests don't give a yes or no answer. They have to be calibrated and according to people who want to detect actual infections they are currently calibrated to too many cycles.

This means that many of these cases are not actual cases.
Your own link above states the opposite:

The most widely used diagnostic test for the new coronavirus, called a PCR test, provides a simple yes-no answer to the question of whether a patient is infected.
Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-29-2020, 02:18 PM   #43835
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup View Post
Some of us do not live in this thread and since it is a mega thread that information gets lost.
I totally understand that, but Donger is one who does live in this thread. That was part of the point.
kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.
Old 08-29-2020, 02:22 PM   #43836
Generational Player

Quote:
Your own link above states the opposite:

The most widely used diagnostic test for the new coronavirus, called a PCR test, provides a simple yes-no answer to the question of whether a patient is infected.
Reading Comprehension isn't your strong suit, eh?

Any test with a cycle threshold above 35 is too sensitive, agreed Juliet Morrison, a virologist at the University of California, Riverside. “I’m shocked that people would think that 40 could represent a positive,” she said

From the author

Apoorva Mandavilli
@apoorva_nyc
If you adjust that down to a more reasonable CT threshold of 30, anywhere form 40%-90% of state lab results are *no longer positive.* The rest are well past the point of contagiousness.
MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old 08-29-2020, 02:25 PM   #43837
Starter

Quote:
Your Coronavirus Test Is Positive. Maybe It Shouldn’t Be.

In three sets of testing data that include cycle thresholds, compiled by officials in Massachusetts, New York and Nevada, up to 90 percent of people testing positive carried barely any virus, a review by The Times found..

In Massachusetts, from 85 to 90 percent of people who tested positive in July with a cycle threshold of 40 would have been deemed negative if the threshold were 30 cycles, Dr. Mina said. “I would say that none of those people should be contact-traced, not one,” he said.
Other experts informed of these numbers were stunned.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/29/h...s-testing.html
A week or so, I submitted a study on the PCR test that said for it to be most effective the cycle should be set at 5.
kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.
Old 08-29-2020, 02:28 PM   #43838
"Think BOOM!"

Quote:
Reading Comprehension isn't your strong suit, eh?

Any test with a cycle threshold above 35 is too sensitive, agreed Juliet Morrison, a virologist at the University of California, Riverside. “I’m shocked that people would think that 40 could represent a positive,” she said
Mine's perfect, thanks. You claimed that the PCR test doesn't give a yes/no. The article you linked states that it does. Are you wrong, or is the article?

I have no idea why you are bringing up the cycle threshold. I'm not claiming that the PCR test is 100% accurate, or is a good indicator of how contagious a person is.
Old 08-29-2020, 02:29 PM   #43839
"Think BOOM!"

Quote:
From the author

Apoorva Mandavilli
@apoorva_nyc
If you adjust that down to a more reasonable CT threshold of 30, anywhere form 40%-90% of state lab results are *no longer positive.* The rest are well past the point of contagiousness.
I'm not talking about contagiousness. I'm talking about cases. Active and completed.
Old 08-29-2020, 02:30 PM   #43840
Generational Player

Quote:
Mine's perfect, thanks. You claimed that the PCR test doesn't give a yes/no. The article you linked states that it does. Are you wrong, or is the article?

I have no idea why you are bringing up the cycle threshold. I'm not claiming that the PCR test is 100% accurate, or is a good indicator of how contagious a person is.
If you actually read the article you would understand, its perfectly clear.

The authors point was that we get a yes or no answer but that the calibration of the test is such that we are vastly overstating cases based on too sensitive PCR tests. If we tested at 30 cycles or so many of these "cases" disappear.
Old 08-29-2020, 02:34 PM   #43841
Life is changing..

Quote:

The authors point was that we get a yes or no answer but that the calibration of the test is such that we are vastly overstating cases based on too sensitive PCR tests. If we tested at 30 cycles or so many of these "cases" disappear.
Just going to hop into the firing line here to ask a layman's question.

Would it be possible to make a test that determines if someone is infectious or not?
TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-29-2020, 02:45 PM   #43842
"Think BOOM!"

Quote:

I have read it, obviously, since I posted that the PCR test is yes/no, despite you claiming that it doesn't provide that. I see that you now acknowledge that it does. Glad we cleared that up.

But yes-no isn’t good enough, he added. It’s the amount of virus that should dictate the infected patient’s next steps. “It’s really irresponsible, I think, to forgo the recognition that this is a quantitative issue,” Dr. Mina said.

The PCR test amplifies genetic matter from the virus in cycles; the fewer cycles required, the greater the amount of virus, or viral load, in the sample. The greater the viral load, the more likely the patient is to be contagious.

This number of amplification cycles needed to find the virus, called the cycle threshold, is never included in the results sent to doctors and coronavirus patients, although it could tell them how infectious the patients are.

In three sets of testing data that include cycle thresholds, compiled by officials in Massachusetts, New York and Nevada, up to 90 percent of people testing positive carried barely any virus, a review by The Times found.

So, yes/no isn't good enough to determine how contagious an infected person is. I agree, and again, I'm not arguing about contagiousness. But a positive is still a case, even if the viral load is low.
Old 08-29-2020, 02:45 PM   #43843
Generational Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLO View Post
Just going to hop into the firing line here to ask a layman's question.

Would it be possible to make a test that determines if someone is infectious or not?
I can only give a layman's answer. My understanding is that you would need to reduce the cycles so that you are closer to measuring active virus AND pair that with clinical diagnosis of Covid like symptoms. If we did that we would have a better view of cases worth monitoring.

There is also the issue of how accurate these tests are..my understanding is that is a big unknown as well.
Old 08-29-2020, 02:47 PM   #43844
"Think BOOM!"

Quote:
If we did that we would have a better view of cases worth monitoring.
There you go.
Old 08-29-2020, 02:48 PM   #43845
Life is changing..

Quote:
I can only give a layman's answer. My understanding is that you would need to reduce the cycles so that you are closer to measuring active virus AND pair that with clinical diagnosis of Covid like symptoms. If we did that we would have a better view of cases worth monitoring.

There is also the issue of how accurate these tests are..my understanding is that is a big unknown as well.
Well... I did post this link to an article yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLO View Post
Diagnosing COVID-19 infection: the danger of over-reliance on positive test results

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....26.20080911v3

I'd recommend reading the whole thing, but an interesting blurb.

This is based on a widespread belief that positive results in these tests are highly reliable. However, data on PCR-based tests for similar viruses show that PCR-based testing produces enough false positive results to make positive results highly unreliable over a broad range of real-world scenarios
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote