Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 02-26-2020, 10:28 PM  
MVP

***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***

A couple of reminders...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwana View Post
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartgod View Post
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

Last edited by Bearcat; 03-25-2020 at 08:56 AM.. Reason: adding spoiler tag
JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:18 PM   #42481
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donger View Post
I wonder what the situation would be now if the task force guidelines had actually been followed. I guess we'll never know, but maybe we'd have large gatherings, sports and kids going back to school, and getting to be kids again.

What a terrible shame.
See New Zealand.
kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:22 PM   #42482
"You like to drink?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.city View Post
There weren’t going to be large gatherings or sports with fans until there’s a vaccine anyway
And it's going to be pretty hypocritical to allow them even if there is a C-19 vaccine considering science tell us mass gatherings regularly kill people through other contagions.
Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:22 PM   #42483
'Tis my eye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFace View Post
My issue with virtual learning is that it's HUGELY inequitable in terms of the quality of education kids are actually going to receive. If you have a high academic performer in the first place, they'll probably be fine. If you have a stable family and parents who are able to help, they'll probably be fine.

But kids with parents who either don't care or who aren't otherwise able to help (working multiple jobs or whatever) are pretty much screwed. And in many cases, poorer kids don't even have access to the technology they need at home to participate virtually anyway. (Yes, schools can give out equipment, but my mom works in a district where many kids in rural areas don't have internet at home, period.)
Public education is already largely inequitable. It’s a money pit with no bottom and it’s producing diminishing returns to boot. Education needs a serious overhaul.
htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:23 PM   #42484
I love your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower View Post
Isn't the simpler explanation that truly asymptomatic and mild cases with positive tests are likely a detection of any other beta Coronavirus and not SARSCov2?
If you did full work up on patients who are asymptotic I wouldn’t be surprised if there was some pathological effect somewhere, but it would be hard to say covid was the cause but we had an a symptomatic patient in hospital with bilateral pneumonia, was in hospital over 2 weeks for renal failure but when he was discharged he still had the bilateral pneumonia and never developed any symptoms he was only kepT in hospital because he would not have been able to self isolate.
Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:24 PM   #42485
'Tis my eye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great8 View Post
We haven't any kind of issues here with people not following guidelines as far as I can see.
Virginia as a state has been masked up since damn near the beginning of this thing.
All we are doing is kicking the rock down the road and hoping for it to just disappear.
At some point in time, we are going to have to live with this thing instead of hiding from it.
All we need is a vaccine and it will be okay. It will be gone. You know like every other coronavirus known to man. Or the common cold.

The new normal isn’t social distancing and masks. The new normal is that people are going to get COVID-19 for the rest of eternity and some people might even die.
htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 4 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 12:26 PM   #42486
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by htismaqe View Post
All we need is a vaccine and it will be okay. It will be gone. You know like every other coronavirus known to man. Or the common cold.

The new normal isn’t social distancing and masks. The new normal is that people are going to get COVID-19 for the rest of eternity and some people might even die.
This
Great8 is not part of the Right 53.Great8 is not part of the Right 53.Great8 is not part of the Right 53.Great8 is not part of the Right 53.Great8 is not part of the Right 53.Great8 is not part of the Right 53.Great8 is not part of the Right 53.Great8 is not part of the Right 53.Great8 is not part of the Right 53.Great8 is not part of the Right 53.Great8 is not part of the Right 53.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:28 PM   #42487
'Tis my eye!

Quote:
There's a ton of research about childhood development and how you can never really get years back - especially for younger kids. There are super strong correlations between kids who are behind in reading skills by grade 3, for example, and long-term academic and financial performance.

It's a little weaker for high-school kids, but at best we're gonna have a generation of kids who got a shitty high school education, which is foundational to higher-education enrollment and performance. (Not sure about studies with regard to non-academic paths beyond high school.) And I'm sure people around here can remember the strong social experiences they had in high school which are now being damaged.
Those kids were already getting shitty educations. At least they are here. My daughter homeschooled because our district was so bad. She would have been valedictorian of her class with her grades and scores. And she did all of her school while working a full time job and paying off a brand new car that she bought 100% on her own.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:31 PM   #42488
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower View Post
And it's going to be pretty hypocritical to allow them even if there is a C-19 vaccine considering science tell us mass gatherings regularly kill people through other contagions.
Eh I get what you’re getting at

But there’s nuance there
O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:34 PM   #42489
I love your mom

Quote:
There's a ton of research about childhood development and how you can never really get years back - especially for younger kids. There are super strong correlations between kids who are behind in reading skills by grade 3, for example, and long-term academic and financial performance.

It's a little weaker for high-school kids, but at best we're gonna have a generation of kids who got a shitty high school education, which is foundational to higher-education enrollment and performance. (Not sure about studies with regard to non-academic paths beyond high school.) And I'm sure people around here can remember the strong social experiences they had in high school which are now being damaged.
I am sure some kids had horrible HS experiences , but a year of adversity isn’t the worse thing for the bubble wrap generation, coping skills / self motivated learning a little taste of the real world , but maybe that’s just me , my kids have it pretty easy .
Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 12:35 PM   #42490
SuperBowl or bust

You guys get hit by the storm, Htismaqe?
BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:35 PM   #42491
"You like to drink?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.city View Post
Eh I get what you’re getting at

But there’s nuance there
Are deaths by contagion preventable or not, and if so, what are the methods of prevention?
Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:35 PM   #42492
New and Improved

Quote:
Originally Posted by htismaqe View Post

You don't think there will be a vaccine?
stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:35 PM   #42493
'Tis my eye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great8 View Post
This
I mean this whole panacea idea is kind of silly. We have an influenza vaccine and it’s about 40% effective by the time it is administered because viruses can and do mutate. Sure we will eventually have a vaccine but anybody that thinks that’s the end of it is fooling themselves.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:37 PM   #42494
'Tis my eye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumppy View Post
You don't think there will be a vaccine?
Do you honestly think a vaccine is going to just magically stop this thing?
Old 08-12-2020, 12:37 PM   #42495
Admitted Planet Junky

Quote:

I was referring to social progression. That short of a time frame over 17 or 18 years should not cause any problems that cannot or will not be overcome easily.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.