Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 02-26-2020, 10:28 PM  
MVP

***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***

A couple of reminders...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwana View Post
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartgod View Post
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

Last edited by Bearcat; 03-25-2020 at 08:56 AM.. Reason: adding spoiler tag
JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 08-10-2020, 03:31 PM   #42316
"Think BOOM!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac459 View Post
Neither are war deaths, so why compare? People were using Vietnam to further their argument to do more on clamping things down. Why can they use none contagious deaths for their argument but not the other side?
I haven't seen anyone using comparative war deaths to further their argument to do more on clamping things down. Like I said, just an comparison between two historical events.

I have seen people say that COVID-19 has killed more American than the Vietnam War did. And that's accurate. Now almost three times as many.
Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-10-2020, 03:33 PM   #42317
"Think BOOM!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcellus View Post
And so has heart disease.
Correct. And you can't go to the grocery store and catch heart disease from a person with heart disease.

If you don't or can't understand the difference still, I can't help you.
Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 03:36 PM   #42318
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donger View Post
I haven't seen anyone using comparative war deaths to further their argument to do more on clamping things down. Like I said, just an comparison between two historical events.

I have seen people say that COVID-19 has killed more American than the Vietnam War did. And that's accurate. Now almost three times as many.

I have seen them use war deaths to further their argument. So like I asked, why can one side use non contagious deaths to further their argument but the other side can’t?

You may use them as a comparison and that’s fine, I have a big ****ing problem with people not being fair on calling out those arguments. That scream not contagious at people saying heart disease is used as an argument, then not saying shit when war deaths are used for argument.
Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-10-2020, 03:37 PM   #42319
Supporter

Quote:
Correct. And you can't go to the grocery store and catch heart disease from a person with heart disease.

If you don't or can't understand the difference still, I can't help you.
You can’t go to the store and die in the Vietnam war either.
Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-10-2020, 03:41 PM   #42320
"Think BOOM!"

Quote:
I have seen them use war deaths to further their argument. So like I asked, why can one side use non contagious deaths to further their argument but the other side can’t?

You may use them as a comparison and that’s fine, I have a big ****ing problem with people not being fair on calling out those arguments. That scream not contagious at people saying heart disease is used as an argument, then not saying shit when war deaths are used for argument.
You've seen that here? I wouldn't use that argument, so you'll need to ask them. I would use it as an historical comparison based on total deaths.

Again though, some people try to use heart disease and car deaths to argue that those happen every year and we don't shut down over them, so we shouldn't have shut down over COVID-19. That's when the contagious part comes into play. They aren't comparable in that important respect and that's where the attempted comparison falls apart.
Old 08-10-2020, 03:42 PM   #42321
"Think BOOM!"

Quote:
You can’t go to the store and die in the Vietnam war either.
No, you can't. That would require going back in time.
Old 08-10-2020, 03:45 PM   #42322
Diablo Negro

Quote:

And you don't even understand that paragraph one directly contradicts paragraph 2.

And then you post this -

Quote:
You've seen that here? I wouldn't use that argument, so you'll need to ask them. I would use it as an historical comparison based on total deaths.
I mean holy shit dude this is ridiculous even for you.
Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-10-2020, 03:46 PM   #42323
"Think BOOM!"

Quote:
And you don't even understand that paragraph one directly contradicts paragraph 2.
No, I don't because it doesn't. Just to cut to the chase, I realize that you don't have the ability to understand why they aren't contradictory.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 03:47 PM   #42324
Supporter

Quote:

Again though, some people try to use heart disease and car deaths to argue that those happen every year and we don't shut down over them, so we shouldn't have shut down over COVID-19. That's when the contagious part comes into play. They aren't comparable in that important respect and that's where the attempted comparison falls apart.

Yes, here. I have no problem using death numbers from other things as a comparison. That helps people get a grasp on the severity.

I tried asking the board, due to me not remembering exactly who made the argument. Other people stepped forward and started offering opinions on it, but my question wasn’t getting answered. Maybe I should have made it more clear, I thought it was obvious to those who had made the argument or seen it.

Again, I have no problem with people saying it is not contagious when the argument is lined up as you put it. That is not my issue at all though, so I’m not sure why you keep bringing it up. I have said a few times I don’t have a problem with it like that.
Old 08-10-2020, 03:47 PM   #42325
Diablo Negro

Quote:
No, I don't because it doesn't. Just to cut to the chase, I realize that you don't have the ability to understand why they aren't contradictory.
I haven't seen that except where I have seen that and I will extrapolate on what was said even further then claim in the next post I wouldn't use that argument/ Donger.
Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-10-2020, 03:51 PM   #42326
"Think BOOM!"

Quote:
Yes, here. I have no problem using death numbers from other things as a comparison. That helps people get a grasp on the severity.

I tried asking the board, due to me not remembering exactly who made the argument. Other people stepped forward and started offering opinions on it, but my question wasn’t getting answered. Maybe I should have made it more clear, I thought it was obvious to those who had made the argument or seen it.

Again, I have no problem with people saying it is not contagious when the argument is lined up as you put it. That is not my issue at all though, so I’m not sure why you keep bringing it up. I have said a few times I don’t have a problem with it like that.
Then we're in agreement.

I have, and have had, issue with those who try to compare heart disease, car accidents and other other non-contagious deaths to COVID-19 as an attempt at arguing that we shouldn't have locked down because we don't for the them. Honestly, it's such a simplistic and faulty comparison that I was stunned that anyone would try it, let alone keep trying it.

Alas, here we are.
Old 08-10-2020, 03:51 PM   #42327
"Think BOOM!"

Quote:
I haven't seen that except where I have seen that and I will extrapolate on what was said even further then claim in the next post I wouldn't use that argument/ Donger.
Feel free to explain how those two paragraphs are contradictory.
Old 08-10-2020, 03:53 PM   #42328
Please squeeze

I believe this same heart issue sidelined the Red Sox's ace a week or so ago for the season after he had Covid.

Heart condition linked with COVID-19 fuels Power 5 concern about season's viability

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ason-viability

Quote:
A rare heart condition that could be linked with the coronavirus is fueling concern among Power 5 conference administrators about the viability of college sports this fall.

Myocarditis, inflammation of the heart muscle, has been found in at least five Big Ten Conference athletes and among several other athletes in other conferences, according to two sources with knowledge of athletes' medical care.

The condition is usually caused by a viral infection, including those that cause the common cold, H1N1 influenza or mononucleosis. Left undiagnosed and untreated, it can cause heart damage and sudden cardiac arrest, which can be fatal. It is a rare condition, but the COVID-19 virus has been linked with myocarditis with a higher frequency than other viruses, based on limited studies and anecdotal evidence since the start of the pandemic.

The concern has "made the bar higher" for returning to fall sports, said Dr. Jonathan Drezner, director of the University of Washington Medicine Center for Sports Cardiology and a sports medicine physician who advises the NCAA on cardiac issues, "and it could be we don't get there."

Conference officials and athletic directors told ESPN that the uncertainty about the long-term effects of myocarditis has been discussed in meetings of presidents and chancellors, commissioners and athletics directors, and health advisory board members from the Big Ten, Pac-12 and other conferences around the country. Last week, college administrators saw a Facebook post from Debbie Rucker, mother of Indiana offensive lineman Brady Feeney, who wrote that her son was dealing with potential heart problems after battling COVID-19.

The Mid-American Conference, after receiving medical reports about myocarditis and other problems associated with the coronavirus, was the first FBS conference to postpone fall sports on Saturday.

"What we don't know was really haunting us, and that's why we came to our final decision," Northern Illinois athletics director Sean Frazier said. "That's part of the data that our presidents used. This mom gave us a play-by-play. That stuff is extremely scary."

Dr. John MacKnight, the head primary care team physician at the University of Virginia, said that while questions about COVID-19 testing availability, turnaround time for results, and the impact of a possible community surge of cases have all been factors in deciding to return to competition, the long-term cardiac concerns for athletes may be the tipping point.

"We are collectively, as a sports nation, not quite ready to feel entirely comfortable with what that may look like for our young people down the line, and we are not going to put them in that situation," he said. MacKnight, who directs care for Virginia's athletes, and other school physicians are members of advisory groups that counsel universities and conferences on medical decisions.

MacKnight said "the likelihood the individual goes on to have myocardial complication is very low" in athletes who had no or very low-grade COVID-19 symptoms, but added that there needs to be more studies and data.

"There have been some concerns raised for that very reason: Do you not have uneasiness about having athletes participating knowing that you don't know what that longer-range outlook is? The answer is of course, yes," he said. "We don't have enough information to say this is the likelihood that this will or will not happen."

A spokesperson for the NCAA deferred questions about the number of athletes with myocarditis to individual colleges or conferences. NCAA chief medical officer Dr. Brian Hainline was not available for comment.

Dr. Matthew Martinez, director of sports cardiology for Atlantic Health System in New Jersey, said he has received calls from physicians from at least a dozen Power 5 schools who have identified more than a dozen athletes with some post-COVID-19 myocardial injury. He said about half of them had symptoms.

"Initially we thought if you didn't have significant symptoms that you are probably at less risk. We are now finding that that may not be true," he said.

Martinez, who is the league cardiologist for Major League Soccer, team cardiologist for the New York Jets and a consultant for the National Basketball Players Association, said based on what he's seen so far among professional athletes who have had COVID-19, "I'm hopeful the number is under 5%" who have heart-related issues.

Even though the percentage is likely small, Martinez said there is still so much unknown that it is wise to take a conservative approach in returning athletes to play.
dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-10-2020, 03:58 PM   #42329
Life is changing..

Something just happened at Trump's press conference. Secret Service guy walked up to him and Trump left the room immediately.
TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-10-2020, 04:08 PM   #42330
"Think BOOM!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLO View Post
Something just happened at Trump's press conference. Secret Service guy walked up to him and Trump left the room immediately.
Apparently a shooting near the White House.