Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 09-19-2020, 11:35 AM  
Admitted Planet Junky

Need recommendations on Fish

So I need some recommendations from those who eat fish regularly.
I am not a fish eater. If fish has a strong pungent smell I can't get it past the nose. I do like Tuna fish sandwiches though.
I don't really eat seafood either. It is expensive to just try and then possibly, probably with me, throw it away because I couldn't get past the smell or texture.
The only time I have ever enjoyed Shrimp was taking them straight from the skillet where they were being cooked in butter. Once they were just a little cooler the texture changed, rubberish, and I could not eat them.
I also need to know what is the best spices to use for cooking fish.
Yes I got my blood work back and my LDL is still to damn high.
Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old 09-19-2020, 12:07 PM   #31
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup View Post
Rate these options for me please

Cod

Halibut

Salmon

Tuna

Tilapia
Cod and Halibut are similar and kind of a blank canvas. They are good for battering and frying. Tilapia can be fishy at times but blackened or lemon is the way I would go there. Not a salmon fan, except smoked but that is cured and raw. Tuna there is a difference between the stuff in a can and a tuna steak. Steaks you want to eat rare with a quick sear on the outside.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
Old 09-19-2020, 12:08 PM   #32
"Think BOOM!"

Quote:
Is there any other fish that people turn into a sandwich?
Lol yes.
Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-19-2020, 12:09 PM   #33
Admitted Planet Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megatron96 View Post
Assuming you mean by 'fishiness' scale:

Tilapia
Cod
Tuna or Halibut
Salmon

In terms of flavor and texture:

Halibut
Cod
Tilapia
Salmon
Tuna-this fish is so lean it tends to get dry during cooking very quickly, so for me I usually just sear, so the middle is rare, which may not be your thing. Cooked-through tuna is not something I've eaten in several decades.
This stuff makes me wonder.
I like Tuna and it does not seem all that fishy smelling to me at least in the store. In the store the Tilapia seems to be one of the smelliest. Maybe it is the the "section" that I am noticing.
Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old 09-19-2020, 12:09 PM   #34
Spooky Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donger View Post
Perhaps start out with something like tilapia? Very mild taste.
Good choice. For non-fish eaters breaded white fish like cod is probably best. Slather on some tartar sauce.
EPodolak 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.EPodolak 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.EPodolak 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.EPodolak 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.EPodolak 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.EPodolak 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.EPodolak 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.EPodolak 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.EPodolak 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.EPodolak 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.EPodolak 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old 09-19-2020, 12:11 PM   #35
Suupraa Geniuuusss

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPodolak View Post
Good choice. For non-fish eaters breaded white fish like cod is probably best. Slather on some tartar sauce.
If this is about his heart health he's going to have to sear, bake, grill or steam it.
Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-19-2020, 12:11 PM   #36
Veteran

Quote:
Is there any other fish that people turn into a sandwich?
The filet o fish.

Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
Old 09-19-2020, 12:13 PM   #37
Veteran

Also maybe think about crab or scallops. Shrimp get rubbery when overcooked.

Old 09-19-2020, 12:17 PM   #38
Suupraa Geniuuusss

Quote:
This stuff makes me wonder.
I like Tuna and it does not seem all that fishy smelling to me at least in the store. In the store the Tilapia seems to be one of the smelliest. Maybe it is the the "section" that I am noticing.
Tilapia has a bit more oil in it than tuna, IIRC, which is where the fish smell comes from.

Part of it may also be the quality of the fish. Fresh fish doesn't tend to be fishy smelling, in general. But bacteria grows on fish very quickly and its waste products create that strong fishy smell. Some of this can be rectified by simply squeezing some citrus on the fish, which effectively washes off the bacteria and its waste. Rinsing in a salt solution will do the same. Living here in AZ with limited access to truly fresh fish has made rinsing any store-bought fish in a little salt solution with a couple lemons squeezed in there a habit at this point. After the fish takes a 5 minute bath, I rinse in ice-cold water for a few seconds and prepare normally.
Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-19-2020, 12:24 PM   #39
Veteran

Mmm. Anybody want to make a Long John Silvers run?
Pointer19 has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Pointer19 has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Pointer19 has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Pointer19 has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Pointer19 has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Pointer19 has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Pointer19 has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Pointer19 has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Pointer19 has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Pointer19 has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Pointer19 has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old 09-19-2020, 12:31 PM   #40
Fight, build, win!

Quote:
What is better Slap ya mama, Tony Chachara or Louisiana?
Paul Prudhomme Seafood Magic makes all fish edible.

srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-19-2020, 12:40 PM   #41
Suupraa Geniuuusss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megatron96 View Post
Tilapia has a bit more oil in it than tuna, IIRC, which is where the fish smell comes from.

Part of it may also be the quality of the fish. Fresh fish doesn't tend to be fishy smelling, in general. But bacteria grows on fish very quickly and its waste products create that strong fishy smell. Some of this can be rectified by simply squeezing some citrus on the fish, which effectively washes off the bacteria and its waste. Rinsing in a salt solution will do the same. Living here in AZ with limited access to truly fresh fish has made rinsing any store-bought fish in a little salt solution with a couple lemons squeezed in there a habit at this point. After the fish takes a 5 minute bath, I rinse in ice-cold water for a few seconds and prepare normally.
Whoops, the salt bath includes a lot of ice, and about a tablespoon of salt for every quart-quart and a half of water. 3 tablespoons for a gallon or so. Enough to taste, not enough to make you gag.

Another fish I can recommend if you can get it (I just got some online) is barramundi, which tastes a lot like sea bass. Very mild white fish with a nice medium firm texture. Excellent pan seared.
Old 09-19-2020, 12:40 PM   #42
Cynical Misanthrope

I eat a lot of halibut and salmon. Salmon is fairly fatty and strongly flavored, although there are things you can do to soften the flavor. If you just eat it straight, you will get a lot of salmon flavor. If you have enough to can salmon, you can add soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic and onion or jalapeños and some smoke powder. Those ‘lessen’ the salmon flavor. If you don’t can it, I would cut salmon into bite-size portions. Sauté with onions and mushrooms and some sage. Finish with heavy cream and serve over egg noodles.

Halibut is a more meaty fish. It is pretty steak-like in its firmness. Halibut is far more of a blank canvas that shows the flavors of other parts of a dish, but halibut can dry out very easily. As a white fish, there are a myriad of ways to deal with halibut from grilling to sautéing to broiling.

My favorite is to sous vide the halibut. Add a couple sprigs of sage or tarragon, a couple slices of lemon and about 2 tablespoons of butter. Sous vide at 122 degrees for about 30-45 minutes if the steaks are less than 1” thick, about 45-60 minutes if they’re over an inch thick. Use the juice from the sous vide bag to make an integral sauce with some stock. If you don’t have stock, use canned clam juice. To make the sauce, sauté some garlic, shallots or onions with some butter. Deglaze the pan with white wine or sherry. Once the wine is cooked down to a thick syrup, add the juices and stock and reduce by about ½. Finish with some butter or some cream. Not overdone, not fishy and it just melts in your mouth.

Cod is more flaky and fatty and is more typical of fish. Light flavored, I find cod is best fried in a beer batter. You can make beer battered halibut or salmon but I like cod best. To make a good beer batter, make sure the beer is really cold and use it quickly. In other words, don’t make your batter and then let it sit for a day. You want the carbonation. I also use a beer that is heavily malted, such as Alaska Amber. IPAs and bitter, hoppy beers don’t do as well. I also season the flour for my batter. I usually use salt, pepper, ancho chili pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and then whatever I feel like.

Because of Covid, travel restrictions to rural Alaska have really put a crimp in how much salmon and halibut I have in my freezer going into the winter. When we lived in the Bush, I’d say we ate salmon about 2 nights a week and halibut about 1 night a week. I’ve cooked those fish in more ways than I can count, so if you’ve got any more questions, let me know. I’m happy to help.
frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-19-2020, 01:04 PM   #43
Banned

Old Bay.

And lemon cuts down on the "fishiness". Halibut is a very rich fish. I can only get through a few bites.

Last edited by eDave; 09-19-2020 at 01:17 PM..
eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-19-2020, 01:07 PM   #44
Ultrabanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eDave View Post
Old Bay.

And lemon cuts down on the "fishiness".
Love old bay. Especially on popcorn.
Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 1     Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 01:16 PM   #45
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eDave View Post
Old Bay.

And lemon cuts down on the "fishiness". Halibut is a very rich fish. I can only get through a fee bites.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
Love old bay. Especially on popcorn.
French fries with Old Bay is delish
Pointer19 has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Pointer19 has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Pointer19 has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Pointer19 has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Pointer19 has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Pointer19 has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Pointer19 has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Pointer19 has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Pointer19 has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Pointer19 has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Pointer19 has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.