Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room > Media Center
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 06-03-2020, 10:27 AM   #2
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Franchise View Post
Ok. Updated to a full tower.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/g6VwvW
The P400 was more than big enough to hold the video card.

"Max GPU Length Allowance 395mm"

The card you have selected is only 280mm long.

I probably wouldnt put a Ryzen 7 3700x in a 2000 series B450 board.
jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old 06-03-2020, 10:35 AM   #3
Needs more middle fingers

Quote:
Ok. Updated to a full tower.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/g6VwvW
Heh. It's really freakin' hard to find tower designs that don't look like they were made for a 14 y/o.

I'm a big fan of some of Thermaltake's designs. So much so that i have 3 of the same case. Wish i could remember the model this is that i have, but w/e im sure it's outdated.

But i find that Thermaltake has some of the classier designs on the market. Like this one, less the gaudy RGB shit unless you're into that.

https://www.thermaltake.com/versa-c2...b-edition.html

And my piece of advice: Don't skimp on the power supply. I do. And i always end up paying for it in the long run. I swear, 9/10 when i have some weird PC issue it's a faulty power supply that went bad a year or 2 later. I've replaced more power supplies than anything and it's always because i get some bronze rated thing that bites me in the ass a year or two later.
ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-03-2020, 10:30 AM   #4
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pants View Post
What I like to do is get a smaller size SSD for your executables and a large capacity HDD for media.

I would suggest you get an M.2 SSD for your Windows and games.

And then get a few TB in HDD for your media files.
I agree.

I'm not familiar with how much space video games use on the system drive but mine is packed with programs and I still have 30 gigs left on a 250 GB Samsung SSD.

Instead of a 4 TB 5400 rpm drive, I'd recommend a one or two TB 7200 rpm internal drive along with a 2 TB or larger external drive. It appears the case has 7 drive slots (if I'm reading it correctly) and putting everything on a 4TB drive is asking for a disaster to happen because if it dies, there goes all of your data.

To clarify, I'm not a gamer but I do believe in having data backup and faster drives for performance. I've had excellent luck with the WD Black drives for audio and video:

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Perform...s%2C204&sr=8-3
DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-03-2020, 10:37 AM   #5
Time Keeps On Slipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud View Post
I agree.

I'm not familiar with how much space video games use on the system drive but mine is packed with programs and I still have 30 gigs left on a 250 GB Samsung SSD.

Instead of a 4 TB 5400 rpm drive, I'd recommend a one or two TB 7200 rpm internal drive along with a 2 TB or larger external drive. It appears the case has 7 drive slots (if I'm reading it correctly) and putting everything on a 4TB drive is asking for a disaster to happen because if it dies, there goes all of your data.

To clarify, I'm not a gamer but I do believe in having data backup and faster drives for performance. I've had excellent luck with the WD Black drives for audio and video:

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Perform...s%2C204&sr=8-3
I could be wrong but I do not think lower RPM translates to shorter life span or a high chance of failure. I think it just affects the access times which don't matter at all with media.

This is the reason you go with an M.2 SSD for things where access time matters (Windows, games, etc.).
Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
Old 06-03-2020, 10:49 AM   #6
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pants View Post
I could be wrong but I do not think lower RPM translates to shorter life span or a high chance of failure. I think it just affects the access times which don't matter at all with media.
I don't know how it affects video games but it definitely matters in terms of Read/Write times of audio and video, which is why we used SCSI in the 90's and early 2000's, then 7200 RPM to finally, SSD's.

It's nearly impossible to record even 10 audio streams of 32 bit 48k audio simultaneously to a 5400 RPM drive and then if you throw video into the equation, you're looking at continual crashing and errors.
DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-03-2020, 10:43 AM   #7
Needs more middle fingers

Ok one last chime from me:

When it comes to the Air vs Liquid cooling debate, yeah i get that air is plenty effecient.

But im a big fan of this product here:

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Catego.../CW-9060040-WW

It's basically liquid cooling for the CPU for dummies. It's all self contained.

I like it because:

1. Whisper quiet. Couple this with the right case fans and you can barely hear the computer at all.

2. It looks cool. And i mean, if you're building your own PC it should look cool, right? Heh.

3. @ $89 it's not much more (and in some cases, less) than some of the more popular air cooled fans.
ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-03-2020, 10:52 AM   #8
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detoxing View Post
When it comes to the Air vs Liquid cooling debate, yeah i get that air is plenty effecient.
I'm a huge proponent as well and have been using liquid cooling fans for a decade because my work is extremely CPU intensive.
Old 06-03-2020, 10:58 AM   #9
Here We Go Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud View Post
I'm a huge proponent as well and have been using liquid cooling fans for a decade because my work is extremely CPU intensive.
In modern cases, which are basically all fans around the outside, you can maintain similar temps to liquid cooling with just air, and due to the low rpms on the larger fans, it is actually quieter. Plus cheaper.
lawrenceRaider has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.lawrenceRaider has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.lawrenceRaider has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.lawrenceRaider has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.lawrenceRaider has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.lawrenceRaider has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.lawrenceRaider has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.lawrenceRaider has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.lawrenceRaider has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.lawrenceRaider has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.lawrenceRaider has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
Old 06-03-2020, 11:01 AM   #10
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider View Post
In modern cases, which are basically all fans around the outside, you can maintain similar temps to liquid cooling with just air, and due to the low rpms on the larger fans, it is actually quieter. Plus cheaper.
My computers are racked, so there's not much, if any, air flow.
Old 06-03-2020, 11:03 AM   #11
Time Keeps On Slipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider View Post
I am not sure how hot the new Ryzens run at stock clocks or whether he wants to OC them at all.

I haven't ****ed with AMD since the Athlon 64 days.
Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
Old 06-03-2020, 10:49 AM   #12
Most Valuable Villain

I should just have everyone send me their final builds like it’s a ****ing reality show.
The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-03-2020, 10:51 AM   #13
Supporter

Quote:
I should just have everyone send me their final builds like it’s a ****ing reality show.
Old 06-03-2020, 10:51 AM   #14
Time Keeps On Slipping

Quote:
Old 06-03-2020, 11:10 AM   #15
In Search of a Life

Quote:
This is what I would do based on what you were looking at.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dDC6b8

Some of the parts you had selected were out of stock like the PSU and case.

Dropped the RAM speed just a notch because unlike 1st gen Ryzen which was really picky about the type and speed of the RAM, the 3000 series isnt as much and from what research I did the sweet spot was in the 3000-3200 range and everything higher started to see diminishing returns. But it's only like $12 savings so do what you want.

The motherboard is "expected to be in stock" June 16th according to B&H. If you dont want to wait that long then the next 2 best X570 boards are the ASUS TUF Wifi or the Gigabyte Aorus Elite for around the same price, possibly lower.

Spent a little more on a 1TB NVMe. The speeds on SSDs increase with the size of the drive and Samsungs are really overpriced. Not a big fan of HP products but it uses the same components as many other top rated SDDs with the exact same performance ratings so it's more than likely coming off the same damn assembly line with a different sticker on it. (It's only at that price for another 13 hours)

Upgraded the CPU cooler, but its out of stock unless you want to spend a ridiculous amount on it from a random seller on Amazon. The CPU will come with one that will work fine out of the box and you can upgrade to something better down the line if you choose to.
jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote