Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 09-14-2017, 04:58 PM  
Would an idiot do that?

New Feature: Up/Down Voting Posts

We have been playing around with up/down vote functionality for the past couple of weeks and just activated it in the Lounge prior to this thread.

1. Everyone can vote a post up or down. The vote totals themselves show up on the bottom right of the post. You can't vote on your own posts (the up/down vote is hidden), but you will see the totals once it's voted on.
2. If a post meets some criteria for being "good," the post will be given a yellow border (so that others are drawn to the "good posts" in a big thread).
3. Similarly, if a post meets some criteria for a "bad post," it will be shaded. If a post meets criteria for a "terrible post," it will be shown collapsed with a red bar. The red bar of a collapsed post shows the user's name, and you can click a button at the right to show the post.
4. This functionality doesn't mess with the order of posts.

I'm using "some criteria" only because we're sure it'll change. The border, shading, and collapsed posts are based on the difference between up and down votes, not a total number of one or the other. We'll be making adjustments based on usage, especially with collapsed posts.

We have questions about whether it'll work here vs a place like reddit. A few of us like the idea while others have brought up legitimate concerns. In the end, we decided to roll it out, at least temporarily.

This is a trial run.

We'll give it a week or two depending on how things go, then we'll put it to a vote as long as it's not an obviously terrible idea. The goal is make threads a little easier to scroll through -- easier to find the best contributions and easier to scroll past the trolling and derailments. We aren't out to completely hide posts and will adjust as needed to keep that percentage really low, or based on your feedback.
Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:53 AM   #196
Beyond the Rapids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lzen View Post
Actually, now that I think about it, I like the up/down vote option but I don't care for posts being hidden or highlighted based on what everyone else thinks.
I don't mind the posts that are lowest rated being auto-hidden, but the yellow highlight is distracting and silly.
Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 0 Thumbs Down 2     Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:15 AM   #197
Snacks Are Under My Apron

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealSNR View Post
*cough*

In this thread, a yellow border was around a mod post chiding Sweet Daddy Hate, whose post was greyed out. Essentially, the only "in nature" use of this function has HEIGHTENED the drama that people want to avoid. People bitching about how "there's no news here anymore and too many derailed threads" are going to get it way worse when they find that the only important posts that this feature reveals are the ones that are faction against faction.

I mean, yes, continue the trial period, but I can predict with a good amount of certainty that this idea will fail spectacularly.
Yeah let's get rid of both... The trial period and Sweets
threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 1     Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 12:49 PM   #198
In Search of a Life

Quote:
*cough*

In this thread, a yellow border was around a mod post chiding Sweet Daddy Hate, whose post was greyed out. Essentially, the only "in nature" use of this function has HEIGHTENED the drama that people want to avoid. People bitching about how "there's no news here anymore and too many derailed threads" are going to get it way worse when they find that the only important posts that this feature reveals are the ones that are faction against faction.

I mean, yes, continue the trial period, but I can predict with a good amount of certainty that this idea will fail spectacularly.
You can't understand why a post from SDH talking about Smith in this thread gets a ton of down votes and why the mod post basically telling him to about it in every thread gets a lot of up votes?

We should get a hold of NASA to see if they can figure it out.
Mr. Plow is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Plow is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Plow is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Plow is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Plow is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Plow is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Plow is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Plow is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Plow is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Plow is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Plow is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 5 Thumbs Down 1     Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 04:40 PM   #199
NFL's #1 Ermines Fan

I just cast my first vote in a thread, and it was really exciting.
Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 8 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:03 PM   #200
Bring It Home

I seem to be the only person upvoting posts in other threads. I don't really downvote stuff I don't like, I just upvote the stuff I really do like.
JoeyChuckles threw an interception on a screen pass.JoeyChuckles threw an interception on a screen pass.JoeyChuckles threw an interception on a screen pass.JoeyChuckles threw an interception on a screen pass.JoeyChuckles threw an interception on a screen pass.JoeyChuckles threw an interception on a screen pass.JoeyChuckles threw an interception on a screen pass.JoeyChuckles threw an interception on a screen pass.JoeyChuckles threw an interception on a screen pass.JoeyChuckles threw an interception on a screen pass.JoeyChuckles threw an interception on a screen pass.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 1     Reply With Quote
The post by Sweet Daddy Hate is hidden due to low votes. Click expand to view it.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:22 PM   #202
The talking stonehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickhead View Post
according to the chiefs calender, the world ended in 2012, december
AustinChief must have accidentally installed the Mayan calendar
POND_OF_RED wants to die in a aids tree fire.POND_OF_RED wants to die in a aids tree fire.POND_OF_RED wants to die in a aids tree fire.POND_OF_RED wants to die in a aids tree fire.POND_OF_RED wants to die in a aids tree fire.POND_OF_RED wants to die in a aids tree fire.POND_OF_RED wants to die in a aids tree fire.POND_OF_RED wants to die in a aids tree fire.POND_OF_RED wants to die in a aids tree fire.POND_OF_RED wants to die in a aids tree fire.POND_OF_RED wants to die in a aids tree fire.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
The post by Kaepernick is hidden due to low votes. Click expand to view it.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:22 PM   #204

She isn't nude... Nice try

threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:20 PM   #205
Special Teams ACE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Plow View Post
You can't understand why a post from SDH talking about Smith in this thread gets a ton of down votes and why the mod post basically telling him to about it in every thread gets a lot of up votes?

I know why you ****ing numbskull. That's not the ****ing intended purpose of the yellow border posts.

What's the ****ing point of the yellow border posts? They said people who want to skip over shitty posts can do that by jumping to yellow border posts.

Here's a yellow post that everybody liked that has nothing to do with the Chiefs or football, but only puts re-surfaces the bullshit that people supposedly want to avoid.

I'm saying the yellow border idea is dumb and stupid because it's never going to work for its intended use, and even if it does, nobody votes on posts often enough to make the event a common enough frequency to begin scanning for when they read a thread.
RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 0 Thumbs Down 1     Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 07:27 PM   #206

Quote:

This needs the yellow border
Old 09-19-2017, 08:32 PM   #207
Beyond the Rapids

Quote:
I know why you ****ing numbskull. That's not the ****ing intended purpose of the yellow border posts.

What's the ****ing point of the yellow border posts? They said people who want to skip over shitty posts can do that by jumping to yellow border posts.

Here's a yellow post that everybody liked that has nothing to do with the Chiefs or football, but only puts re-surfaces the bullshit that people supposedly want to avoid.

I'm saying the yellow border idea is dumb and stupid because it's never going to work for its intended use, and even if it does, nobody votes on posts often enough to make the event a common enough frequency to begin scanning for when they read a thread.
Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 3 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 08:36 PM   #208
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Here's a yellow post that everybody liked that has nothing to do with the Chiefs or football, but only puts re-surfaces the bullshit that people supposedly want to avoid..
I get the rest of your post. Don't necessarily agree, but I understand what you're saying in posts outside of this thread.

But you're complaining that a gold post in a thread that has nothing to do with football or the chiefs isn't about the chiefs or football.
Mr. Plow is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Plow is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Plow is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Plow is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Plow is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Plow is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Plow is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Plow is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Plow is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Plow is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Plow is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:24 PM   #209
Special Teams ACE!!!

Quote:
I get the rest of your post. Don't necessarily agree, but I understand what you're saying in posts outside of this thread.

But you're complaining that a gold post in a thread that has nothing to do with football or the chiefs isn't about the chiefs or football.
If you can show me one football-related post that has become highlighted in gold this week since we put in the trial period for the new feature, I'll concede my point.

People aren't using the feature. That's why it will stink. And if they do use it, it will probably be somebody bashing a poster who's being a dumbass.
RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 2     Reply With Quote
The post by Sweet Daddy Hate is hidden due to low votes. Click expand to view it.