Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 02-26-2020, 10:28 PM  
MVP

***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***

A couple of reminders...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwana View Post
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartgod View Post
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

Last edited by Bearcat; 03-25-2020 at 08:56 AM.. Reason: adding spoiler tag
JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:43 AM   #42466
"You like to drink?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.city View Post
He’s a little cavalier with “t cell immunity” they don’t necessarily confer “immunity” in terms of not catching the virus

They’re more of why there’s such mild and asymptomatic infections imo
Isn't the simpler explanation that truly asymptomatic and mild cases with positive tests are likely a detection of any other beta Coronavirus and not SARSCov2?
Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:47 AM   #42467
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower View Post
Isn't the simpler explanation that truly asymptomatic and mild cases with positive tests are likely a detection of any other beta Coronavirus and not SARSCov2?
The way pcr testing works, I don’t think so. It’s pretty specific from my knowledge but I may be way off there

If it were the case the test isn’t worth it as it’s not picking up what you want
O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:57 AM   #42468
"You like to drink?"

Quote:
The way pcr testing works, I don’t think so. It’s pretty specific from my knowledge but I may be way off there

If it were the case the test isn’t worth it as it’s not picking up what you want
Don't see how that's an issue. If you test 1000 people with 75 people who are actually infected with SarsCov2 and 100 test come back positive with all of those 75 true SarsCov2 infections accounted for, then there isn't really a negative to identifying the extra 25 false positives is there?

I get Hamas already went over the false negative/positive and test specificity thing much earlier in the thread, but my skepticism is stuck on the "there are six variants of symptoms" thing combined with the rates of actual asymptomatic positive tests with various rates of prevalence among all cases points me to a conclusion that the tests are picking up more than SarsCov2 specifically.
Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-12-2020, 11:17 AM   #42469
Admitted Planet Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFace View Post
There are no easy answers here, but the damage to academic and social progression for kids due to this is going to be felt for decades.
I see comments like this and I just don't see how a year or so can cause issues for over a decade.
Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Thumbs Up 0 Thumbs Down 1     Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 11:18 AM   #42470
Admitted Planet Junky

Quote:

Where I work we were all tested today. The tests that they used are QTR/PCR. They said they are the most accurate.
Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old 08-12-2020, 11:34 AM   #42471
Kind of a mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup View Post
I see comments like this and I just don't see how a year or so can cause issues for over a decade.
There's a ton of research about childhood development and how you can never really get years back - especially for younger kids. There are super strong correlations between kids who are behind in reading skills by grade 3, for example, and long-term academic and financial performance.

It's a little weaker for high-school kids, but at best we're gonna have a generation of kids who got a shitty high school education, which is foundational to higher-education enrollment and performance. (Not sure about studies with regard to non-academic paths beyond high school.) And I'm sure people around here can remember the strong social experiences they had in high school which are now being damaged.
DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-12-2020, 11:45 AM   #42472
The Beast Inside Your Head

Quote:
There's a ton of research about childhood development and how you can never really get years back - especially for younger kids. There are super strong correlations between kids who are behind in reading skills by grade 3, for example, and long-term academic and financial performance.

It's a little weaker for high-school kids, but at best we're gonna have a generation of kids who got a shitty high school education, which is foundational to higher-education enrollment and performance. (Not sure about studies with regard to non-academic paths beyond high school.) And I'm sure people around here can remember the strong social experiences they had in high school which are now being damaged.
If somone tries to rebut this with a BUT MUH VIRTUAL..they are an idiot.
BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-12-2020, 11:53 AM   #42473
legend

Quote:

This is a really good sum up of how this whole thing is going to affect our youth heading into the future.
KurtCobain is obviously part of the inner Circle.KurtCobain is obviously part of the inner Circle.KurtCobain is obviously part of the inner Circle.KurtCobain is obviously part of the inner Circle.KurtCobain is obviously part of the inner Circle.KurtCobain is obviously part of the inner Circle.KurtCobain is obviously part of the inner Circle.KurtCobain is obviously part of the inner Circle.KurtCobain is obviously part of the inner Circle.KurtCobain is obviously part of the inner Circle.KurtCobain is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-12-2020, 11:55 AM   #42474
"You like to drink?"

Having an entire subset of a generation adapted to limited interpersonal activity and dependent on electronic content definitely serves an agenda.
Old 08-12-2020, 11:58 AM   #42475
Kind of a mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy View Post
If somone tries to rebut this with a BUT MUH VIRTUAL..they are an idiot.
My issue with virtual learning is that it's HUGELY inequitable in terms of the quality of education kids are actually going to receive. If you have a high academic performer in the first place, they'll probably be fine. If you have a stable family and parents who are able to help, they'll probably be fine.

But kids with parents who either don't care or who aren't otherwise able to help (working multiple jobs or whatever) are pretty much screwed. And in many cases, poorer kids don't even have access to the technology they need at home to participate virtually anyway. (Yes, schools can give out equipment, but my mom works in a district where many kids in rural areas don't have internet at home, period.)
DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:01 PM   #42476
Starter

Quote:
Yeah losing 1 1/2 years (minimum) out of 12 won't hurt a thing.
My daughter is starting her Senior year in 2 weeks, virtually.
You think she isn't affected?
Not just by not being in school with her teachers face to face, but what about not getting to hang out with her friends?
How about no after school clubs and athletics?
Senior Prom?
Graduation?
All gone because of complete and utter fear on the parts of those who are supposed to have her best interest at heart.

She is beyond upset about it, and I'm 100% with her.
Great8 is not part of the Right 53.Great8 is not part of the Right 53.Great8 is not part of the Right 53.Great8 is not part of the Right 53.Great8 is not part of the Right 53.Great8 is not part of the Right 53.Great8 is not part of the Right 53.Great8 is not part of the Right 53.Great8 is not part of the Right 53.Great8 is not part of the Right 53.Great8 is not part of the Right 53.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:04 PM   #42477
"Think BOOM!"

I wonder what the situation would be now if the task force guidelines had actually been followed. I guess we'll never know, but maybe we'd have large gatherings, sports and kids going back to school, and getting to be kids again.

What a terrible shame.
Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 12:05 PM   #42478
In Search of a Life

Quote:
That’s because you’re a ****ing moron.
staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 12:11 PM   #42479
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donger View Post
I wonder what the situation would be now if the task force guidelines had actually been followed. I guess we'll never know, but maybe we'd have large gatherings, sports and kids going back to school, and getting to be kids again.

What a terrible shame.
There weren’t going to be large gatherings or sports with fans until there’s a vaccine anyway
O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:12 PM   #42480
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donger View Post

What a terrible shame.
We haven't any kind of issues here with people not following guidelines as far as I can see.
Virginia as a state has been masked up since damn near the beginning of this thing.
All we are doing is kicking the rock down the road and hoping for it to just disappear.
At some point in time, we are going to have to live with this thing instead of hiding from it.
Great8 is not part of the Right 53.Great8 is not part of the Right 53.Great8 is not part of the Right 53.Great8 is not part of the Right 53.Great8 is not part of the Right 53.Great8 is not part of the Right 53.Great8 is not part of the Right 53.Great8 is not part of the Right 53.Great8 is not part of the Right 53.Great8 is not part of the Right 53.Great8 is not part of the Right 53.
Thumbs Up 4 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote