Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 07-15-2015, 08:45 AM  
Supporter

Fire Me Boy! What's For Dinner? Thread

Since the other one got too big, let's keep the food truck rolling. Whacha got?

Vol 2. http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=285408

Last edited by Buehler445; 03-02-2020 at 09:14 AM..
Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:13 AM   #7921
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy 6 View Post
The mushrooms on Mikeys burger look outstanding, I'd kill that thing in roughly 6 huge bites
Roasted mushrooms are one of those stupidly easy things that I never make and always kick myself for not doing it more often.

I'll usually get a pound or so of basic crimini mushrooms and use them for salads or a particular recipe, then about 1/3 of them sit in my fridge and get soft and my wife pitches them when the trash guy's coming.

Even soft mushrooms that are not worth eating fresh can be run through an egg slicer, tossed in just a little bit of olive oil, mixed with fresh garlic and black pepper with maybe a little bit of basil (I keep a plant in the window), then roasted at 350ish for 10-12 minutes and be awesome.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:16 AM   #7922

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDayz View Post
What's on the bun?

And those mushrooms look PERFECT! I'd eat a bowl of those!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. View Post
Just a little mayo waterproofing...
Cream cheese, FTMFW.

I hate mayo but the cream cheese provides the same benefits; just need a fatty emulsion of some sort and it keeps that juice from turning your bun into mush.

For me, cream cheese provides a little bit of tang that you don't ordinarily get. A guy at our farmers market makes fresh Quark, which is like insanely rich cream cheese. Holy shit, it's orgasmic on the bottom of a burger with a slice of cheddar on top.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:20 AM   #7923
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
Roasted mushrooms are one of those stupidly easy things that I never make and always kick myself for not doing it more often.

I'll usually get a pound or so of basic crimini mushrooms and use them for salads or a particular recipe, then about 1/3 of them sit in my fridge and get soft and my wife pitches them when the trash guy's coming.

Even soft mushrooms that are not worth eating fresh can be run through an egg slicer, tossed in just a little bit of olive oil, mixed with fresh garlic and black pepper with maybe a little bit of basil (I keep a plant in the window), then roasted at 350ish for 10-12 minutes and be awesome.
- Oh no!! My fungus is going bad!!
Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:22 AM   #7924
Supporter

Quote:
Cream cheese, FTMFW.

I hate mayo but the cream cheese provides the same benefits; just need a fatty emulsion of some sort and it keeps that juice from turning your bun into mush.

For me, cream cheese provides a little bit of tang that you don't ordinarily get. A guy at our farmers market makes fresh Quark, which is like insanely rich cream cheese. Holy shit, it's orgasmic on the bottom of a burger with a slice of cheddar on top.
The Beefeater at Yellow Sub.

Rare roast beef and bacon with sharp cheddar and cream cheese [with veggies].

One of the best subs I've ever had.
Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:26 AM   #7925
Cast Iron Jedi

Quote:
Do you have a particular method?

I have a bunch of round steak that I can never come up with a good use for. That looks like a nice, crispy breading that would make for a damn fine chicken fried steak. I still don't know how to make pepper gravy that doesn't have sausage in it (I make a damn good sausage gravy so I suspect I could just sub in some lard for the fat from the sausage and be in similar shape), but I don't ever really try because I haven't found a CFS recipe that I like yet.
This was the first time I made this recipe and the method was a little different than I'm used to. But the key to the breading is mixing a little buttermilk into the dredge. It worked quite well! Best CFS I've made, I think. As for the gravy, this was literally just some of the fry oil for the steaks, flour, milk, salt, and pepper. Turned out pretty good!

My only complaint is the breading is completely separate from the meat after it cooks. I'd like to find a way to get a little more cling.

Not sure where the recipe originated - I got it from a friend in Texas whose self-proclaimed purpose on earth is to find the best chicken fried steak on the planet.

Quote:
INGREDIENTS

For the Steaks:

4 long, thin sirloin tip steaks (about 2 pounds)
3/4 cup cornstarch
1 egg
1 cup buttermilk, divided
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more to taste
2 teaspoons paprika
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 quarts peanut or canola oil

For the Gravy:

1/4 cup vegetable, canola, or peanut oil, for frying
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 1/2 cups whole milk
1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper, plus more to taste

DIRECTIONS

1. For the Steaks: Pat steaks dry with paper towels. Place one steak in a resealable plastic bag. Using a meat pounder, rolling pin, or small skillet, pound steak out to an even 1/8- to 1/4-inch thickness. Repeat with remaining 3 steaks. Season steaks with salt.

2. Place cornstarch in a shallow dish. Whisk together egg and 2/3 cup buttermilk in a separate shallow dish. Whisk together flour, 2 teaspoons salt, paprika, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, baking powder, and cayenne pepper in a third shallow dish. Drizzle remaining 1/3 cup of buttermilk into seasoned flour and rub with fingertips until mixture is coarse like wet sand.

3. Working 1 steak at a time, coat well in cornstarch. Lift steak, shake off excess cornstarch, then transfer to egg mixture. Coat steak well in egg mixture, lift steak, letting excess egg drain off, then transfer to seasoned buttermilk-flour mixture. Coat steak well, pressing seasoned flour all over to help it adhere to the meat. Lift steak, shake off excess flour, and transfer to a wire rack. Repeat with remaining steaks. Let steaks stand for 10 minutes.

4. Place oil in a large Dutch oven or wok and heat to 375°F over high heat. Carefully lift 1 steak and gently slide into oil. Cook, flipping occasionally, until golden brown and crisp on both sides, 2 to 4 minutes total. Transfer steak to a paper towel-lined tray and season with salt to taste. Repeat with remaining 3 steaks.

5. For the gravy: Transfer 1/4 cup of hot frying oil to a medium saucepan placed over medium high heat. Add flour and whisk constantly until mixture turns light brown, about 1 minute. Slowly whisk in milk. Stir in pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat; season with salt and additional pepper to taste.

6. Transfer steaks to plates, top with gravy, and serve immediately.
Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:31 AM   #7926

I think Kenji once did an article on making batter that sticks better. I obviously don't remember his advice but it's mostly because I tend to deep fry stuff or not fry it at all.

I thought I remembered Alton Brown saying that pan frying tends to keep batters stuck to things far better and it has something to do with not flash-steaming moisture out and away from the protein (and thus not creating the layer between the protein and the breading as they cook). So the theory was that pan-frying allows the batter to adhere to the meat by slowly releasing the moisture from the meat as it cooks.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:33 AM   #7927
Keepin it Real

Chorizo chili last night. The chorizo flavor made the chili pretty tasty.
Dunit35 wants to die in a aids tree fire.Dunit35 wants to die in a aids tree fire.Dunit35 wants to die in a aids tree fire.Dunit35 wants to die in a aids tree fire.Dunit35 wants to die in a aids tree fire.Dunit35 wants to die in a aids tree fire.Dunit35 wants to die in a aids tree fire.Dunit35 wants to die in a aids tree fire.Dunit35 wants to die in a aids tree fire.Dunit35 wants to die in a aids tree fire.Dunit35 wants to die in a aids tree fire.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:34 AM   #7928
Supporter

Chicken piccata. Kept getting pestered for photos, and of course the flash effed all the focus up. But by the time I could review it on the monitor, my food was already getting cold. So take it or leave it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0908.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	114437  

Last edited by Baby Lee; 05-17-2017 at 09:46 AM..
Old 05-17-2017, 09:37 AM   #7929
Cast Iron Jedi

Quote:
I think Kenji once did an article on making batter that sticks better. I obviously don't remember his advice but it's mostly because I tend to deep fry stuff or not fry it at all.

I thought I remembered Alton Brown saying that pan frying tends to keep batters stuck to things far better and it has something to do with not flash-steaming moisture out and away from the protein (and thus not creating the layer between the protein and the breading as they cook). So the theory was that pan-frying allows the batter to adhere to the meat by slowly releasing the moisture from the meat as it cooks.

That makes sense, and this was deep fried (I tend to pan fry because cleanup is easier).
Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:43 AM   #7930
Gimme My Berries Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Lee View Post
Chicken puttenesca. Kept getting pestered for photos, and of course the flash effed all the focus up. But by the time I could review it on the monitor, my food was already getting cold. So take it or leave it.
Qu'est-ce que puttenesca?
BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:47 AM   #7931
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucEyedPea View Post
Qu'est-ce que puttenesca?
Piccata, still pre-coffee here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piccata

Puttenesca is similar, but fresh tomatoes and anchovies are added to the capers, butter and herbs, instead of lemon.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/...sta-puttanesca
Old 05-17-2017, 10:21 AM   #7932
(Sir/Yes Sir/Aye Aye Sir)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooge View Post
always try to eat healthy:

Seared Ahi with toasted sesame crust. Served it over a cabbage/kale salad. Drizzled it with a dressing I made with soy/mirin/sesame oil/ginger/wasabi. It was damned good and made me poop like a goose.
THAT'S AWESOME!!!
GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:24 AM   #7933
(Sir/Yes Sir/Aye Aye Sir)

More smoothie and another shot of JIAJ...
GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:44 AM   #7934
Scarlett Johansson's boytoy

shrimp & grits
mikeyis4dcats. is too fat/Omaha.mikeyis4dcats. is too fat/Omaha.mikeyis4dcats. is too fat/Omaha.mikeyis4dcats. is too fat/Omaha.mikeyis4dcats. is too fat/Omaha.mikeyis4dcats. is too fat/Omaha.mikeyis4dcats. is too fat/Omaha.mikeyis4dcats. is too fat/Omaha.mikeyis4dcats. is too fat/Omaha.mikeyis4dcats. is too fat/Omaha.mikeyis4dcats. is too fat/Omaha.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:37 AM   #7935
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. View Post

shrimp & grits
That looks really good.
Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.