Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

View Poll Results: The name that I use on an everyday basis is based on the following system:
I go by the exact first name that is on my birth certificate (e.g., Michael, James, Catherine) 60 44.44%
I go by a common shortened version of the name that is on my birth certificate (e.g., Mike, Jim, Cathy) 51 37.78%
I go by a nickname that is based on the name that is on my birth certificate (e.g., Mikey, Jimbo, Cat) 4 2.96%
I go by the middle name that is on my birth certificate (e.g., Delano, Milhous, Hussein) 8 5.93%
I go by a nickname that is based on my last name (e.g., Jonesy, Gonzo) 1 0.74%
I go by some variant of my first and middle name combined (e.g., Jim Bob, Billy Joe, Peggy Sue) 0 0%
I go by a nickname that is unrelated to any name on my birth certificate and is based on physical attributes (e.g., Red, Shorty, Chesty) 1 0.74%
I go by a nickname that is unrelated to my birth certificate and is not physically descriptive (e.g., Scooter, Glitter, Hacksaw) 3 2.22%
I go by an alias that has nothing to do with my birth name (e.g., John Doe, Lord Fantasius of Sparkleberry Manor) 0 0%
My name fits none of these categories. I will explain below. 6 4.44%
I don’t have a name. I live in a dystopian future world where we are referred to by number. 1 0.74%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-17-2018, 11:50 AM  
NFL's #1 Ermines Fan

Tell me about your first name.

When you introduce yourself to someone, what do you want them to call you? Is it the name that's on your birth certificate? A nickname? A shortened version or your formal name? Do you just make up different names on the spur of the moment, leading to a web of deceit where you can never see more than one acquaintance at a time?

Poll coming as soon as I can properly introduce it.
Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-17-2018, 01:20 PM   #31
Tre Right, Three Jet Chip Wasp

Parents gave me a pussy French name and I got the shit kicked out of me in elementary school because of it. Started using my middle name in the 5th grade, which is a Native Hawaiian name that ends in a vowel. Now people think I am female. I'd rather people think I am female than I am a frog.
Clyde Frog has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Clyde Frog has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Clyde Frog has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Clyde Frog has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Clyde Frog has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Clyde Frog has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Clyde Frog has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Clyde Frog has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Clyde Frog has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Clyde Frog has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Clyde Frog has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
Old 05-17-2018, 01:20 PM   #32
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybec 4 View Post
Those two made a kid together?
Fine.

Little John and Robin Hood had a baby and named it Bowman.
Graystoke is obviously part of the inner Circle.Graystoke is obviously part of the inner Circle.Graystoke is obviously part of the inner Circle.Graystoke is obviously part of the inner Circle.Graystoke is obviously part of the inner Circle.Graystoke is obviously part of the inner Circle.Graystoke is obviously part of the inner Circle.Graystoke is obviously part of the inner Circle.Graystoke is obviously part of the inner Circle.Graystoke is obviously part of the inner Circle.Graystoke is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-17-2018, 01:22 PM   #33
Resident Glue Sniffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde Frog View Post
Parents gave me a pussy French name and I got the shit kicked out of me in elementary school because of it. Started using my middle name in the 5th grade, which is a Native Hawaiian name that ends in a vowel. Now people think I am female. I'd rather people think I am female than I am a frog.

Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-17-2018, 01:23 PM   #34
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde Frog View Post
Every Hawaiian word I have ever seen ends in a vowel. Is there some gender thing about it?
Beef Supreme is obviously part of the inner Circle.Beef Supreme is obviously part of the inner Circle.Beef Supreme is obviously part of the inner Circle.Beef Supreme is obviously part of the inner Circle.Beef Supreme is obviously part of the inner Circle.Beef Supreme is obviously part of the inner Circle.Beef Supreme is obviously part of the inner Circle.Beef Supreme is obviously part of the inner Circle.Beef Supreme is obviously part of the inner Circle.Beef Supreme is obviously part of the inner Circle.Beef Supreme is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-17-2018, 01:24 PM   #35
No Keys, No Problem

Short common name that is NOT on my BC. WTF puts a short common name on BC? If that is the case then it's your name and not a short common name.
Garcia Bronco has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Garcia Bronco has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Garcia Bronco has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Garcia Bronco has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Garcia Bronco has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Garcia Bronco has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Garcia Bronco has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Garcia Bronco has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Garcia Bronco has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Garcia Bronco has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Garcia Bronco has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.
Old 05-17-2018, 01:27 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayze View Post

Got me
Clyde Frog has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Clyde Frog has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Clyde Frog has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Clyde Frog has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Clyde Frog has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Clyde Frog has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Clyde Frog has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Clyde Frog has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Clyde Frog has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Clyde Frog has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Clyde Frog has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
Old 05-17-2018, 01:29 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigChiefTablet View Post
Every Hawaiian word I have ever seen ends in a vowel. Is there some gender thing about it?
No, names are gender neutral in Hawaiian. There are also no masculine or feminine nouns in Hawaiian like in other languages. People assume because it ends in a vowel that I am female (especially in emails).
Old 05-17-2018, 01:36 PM   #38
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by patteeu View Post
I don't use my first name anymore. I go by my CP handle.
I always figured your first name was Terra[n]ce.
Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-17-2018, 01:44 PM   #39
Blame it on the Henne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
If you like, you can call me Kev. But nobody ever does.

Like you, I also find incongruous names funny, but pretty much only with children.
I actually call any Kevin I like Kevy for some strange reason, cool or you stuck on Kev?

Irony is hilarious to me, plus you can sort of tell when someone was given a name that no longer fits as an adult introduces themselves in somewhat sheepish fashion.

My first love was a Shanna, and immediately I said I can't work with that so called her by her middle name which probably led to my indifference towards names in general. A good litmus test is imagine the name in a sexual situation: "oh Tammy yeah just like that, oh Shanna". Just terrible names in my opinion, generally the longer the name, the more variations (James/John), and syllables the more I like them. Vanessa, Melissa, Elizabeth are great female names in my opinion.
COchief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.COchief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.COchief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.COchief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.COchief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.COchief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.COchief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.COchief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.COchief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.COchief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.COchief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
Old 05-17-2018, 01:57 PM   #40
Blame it on the Henne

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
So when you see someone you've met previously and can't remember their name do you just call them man or lady during conversation?
It's mostly in casual situations that lead to one on one conversations. Names are no problem at work because I have emails and org charts for reference so learn them easily. Friends and circles of friends are also easy because they are usually group settings so people will say "Well back in college Tom over here was a wild man". I am a regular at a bar type setting that isn't a bar, so when you interact it is usually one on one where you never say their name nor do you have other people saying it, you also have no emails, texts, or org charts to reference. It is only a casual setting problem for me and I do clearly state I won't remember.

Rainman is a great example, if he sat at the bar next to me and we bullshitted for 20 minutes the last thing in the world that would stand out to me would be "Kevin", but I would be enthralled by his unique taste in women's cars, various quirky traits, and propensity to imprison himself and call it vacation.

To answer your question directly, yes it always starts with "hey" but then quickly delve into questions about their daily life or something I found interesting about them during our previous interactions. I also occasionally mix in some crudeness/absurdity, like if the Rainman scenario happened again and I saw him a week later. "Hey, my favorite seaman is back again" would be a strong opening possibility. Hard to get angry when I tell you at first meeting I devalue names and then remember virtually everything about you and am generally curious to know more. Weird to some but normal to me.
COchief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.COchief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.COchief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.COchief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.COchief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.COchief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.COchief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.COchief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.COchief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.COchief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.COchief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:04 PM   #41
Constable of Untruths

Quote:
Originally Posted by COchief View Post
It's mostly in casual situations that lead to one on one conversations. Names are no problem at work because I have emails and org charts for reference so learn them easily. Friends and circles of friends are also easy because they are usually group settings so people will say "Well back in college Tom over here was a wild man". I am a regular at a bar type setting that isn't a bar, so when you interact it is usually one on one where you never say their name nor do you have other people saying it, you also have no emails, texts, or org charts to reference. It is only a casual setting problem for me and I do clearly state I won't remember.

Rainman is a great example, if he sat at the bar next to me and we bullshitted for 20 minutes the last thing in the world that would stand out to me would be "Kevin", but I would be enthralled by his unique taste in women's cars, various quirky traits, and propensity to imprison himself and call it vacation.

To answer your question directly, yes it always starts with "hey" but then quickly delve into questions about their daily life or something I found interesting about them during our previous interactions. I also occasionally mix in some crudeness/absurdity, like if the Rainman scenario happened again and I saw him a week later. "Hey, my favorite seaman is back again" would be a strong opening possibility. Hard to get angry when I tell you at first meeting I devalue names and then remember virtually everything about you and am generally curious to know more. Weird to some but normal to me.
Interesting. I always get an uneasy feeling when I see someone I have met before and I can't remember their name. I don't avoid them or anything, but I hope during the conversation that there is never a need to call them by their name.
LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:11 PM   #42
Blame it on the Henne

Quote:
Interesting. I always get an uneasy feeling when I see someone I have met before and I can't remember their name. I don't avoid them or anything, but I hope during the conversation that there is never a need to call them by their name.
Life's too short for that bullshit, plus if you remember things about them that is more important than forcing yourself to memorize some arbitrary title assigned the second they entered the world. Or use nicknames, know what I mean poolboy. Totally kidding on that btw
Old 05-17-2018, 02:12 PM   #43
Banned

If anyone asks me if I prefer Dave or David, I say David. I never reference myself as Dave. Being called Dave is weird for me for some reason.

I'm terrible with remembering names so I usually tell them that right up front when I meet them.
eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:20 PM   #44
bite me

They call me Mr. Geezer. (with apologies to Sidney Poitier)
old_geezer has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.old_geezer has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.old_geezer has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.old_geezer has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.old_geezer has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.old_geezer has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.old_geezer has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.old_geezer has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.old_geezer has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.old_geezer has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.old_geezer has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:26 PM   #45
MVP

Quote:
So when you see someone you've met previously and can't remember their name do you just call them man or lady during conversation?
"Hey there chief!"
tooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.tooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.tooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.tooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.tooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.tooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.tooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.tooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.tooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.tooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.tooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.