Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room

Old 08-23-2019, 04:38 PM  
I'll be back.

NFL trade watch

oh myyyy

Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-27-2019, 02:38 PM   #286
In Search of a Life

Clowney is not better than Clark.

Clark has 6 more sacks and one less season.
staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 02:39 PM   #287
Needs more middle fingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by staylor26 View Post
Clowney is not better than Clark.

Clark has 6 more sacks and one less season.
Nor does Clark come with the injury history or questionable effort that Clowney had to shake at the start of his career.
ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-27-2019, 02:40 PM   #288
In Search of a Life

The Seahawks and Pete Carroll took that pick and selected LJ ****ing Collier. That teams personnel department has been a mess lately.
staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-27-2019, 02:51 PM   #289
In Search of a Life

I remember reading this PFF article in the offseason:

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-buyings...ushers-in-2018

Quote:
JADAVEON CLOWNEY – SELL
There are three big reasons why Clowney is a ‘sell.’ The first is that he’s going to, rightly, ask to set the market. He was one of the most-hyped edge defenders of all time coming out of college and has made the last three pro bowls after being the number one overall pick.

The second is that he’s already had surgeries on both knees including the dreaded microfracture surgery on his right knee. While it’s been a few years since and he hasn’t had them flare up, it’s never the same knee as it was before.

The last – and by far the biggest – is that Clowney has not rushed the passer at an elite level. His 78.8 pass-rushing grade this past season was the highest of his career. While that was a career high, the uptick in his production hasn’t necessarily come from development as a pass-rusher. The Texans have simply gotten more creative and given him more opportunities to rush inside, where he was actually more productive than outside.

Quote:
FRANK CLARK – BUY
Clark is young and consistent – a fantastic combo to project going forward. He’ll turn 26 later this year and has three straight seasons with 10-plus sacks. It’s not simply the yearly consistency, but also the game to game. He didn’t have a single game this past season with fewer than two pressures.
I know it’s PFF, but I thought it was spot on then and still do.

Bonus for laughs:

Quote:
DEE FORD – SELL
Ford is the anti-Frank Clark at this point; the consistency over his career has been non-existent. Seemingly minor injuries have neutered his effectiveness over the years. His 84 pressures this season including the playoffs were 30 more than any other season of his career. The high end is there, but in such a deep free agent class, there’s no reason to break the bank for him. The franchise tag is nearly a certainty.
Old 08-27-2019, 03:06 PM   #290
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

But if you're going to use PFF don't you have to acknowledge that Clowney smoked Clark across the board last season? (Hell, shouldn't PFF be acknowledging that in their own buy/sell rankings?)

OVR:
Clowney -- 88
Clark -- 77.4

Pass Rush:
Clowney -- 78.8
Clark -- 74.7

Run:
Clowney -- 91.2 (dayum)
Clark -- 69.1

I don't see PFF as dispositive but you're the one mentioning them here and it's a landslide for Clowney in 2018.

And everyone wants to talk about Clark as this ascending player because he's only 26 and has room to grow....Clowney is only 26 and has room to grow. Oh, and is coming off a year where he was almost certainly superior to Clark across the board. At 26 he's being written off as some slack-ass broke-dick but he just had a career year and is entering his prime. He's missed 3 games in the last 3 years. The dude's playing incredibly well and people still want to harp on his first 2 years?

No, I don't think Clark's a better player. I think for his career he's been more durable (though it's been a wash over the last 3) and a tick more consistent (though we're ignoring his time primarily a 3rd down player his first couple of years), but in terms of pure talent I think Clowney is far superior.

I think the easiest way to distinguish the two is ceiling vs. floor. Clark has a higher floor - Clowney has a MUCH higher ceiling. I think it's awfully odd to pay what we paid for a guy on the basis of his floor and the belief that maaaaaaybe we can unlock more from the guy when a coach that has been to 2 SBs largely on the strength of his defenses didn't.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-27-2019, 03:10 PM   #291
Andy Reid Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
And I just don't think it is when you've given up a 1st and a 3rd for a player and made him one of the 5 highest paid defensive players in the league.

Run defense and a solid pass rush is fine...maybe...if you're giving up a lot in trade OR in cap. But when you're giving up both, you'd better get a monster for your troubles. You could give up less cap and no pick compensation and have gotten a guy like you're describing in Trey Flowers.

But when you're giving up more cap AND a pick haul, solid sack figures and strong run defense isn't good enough.
What was the alternative here? It sure doesn’t sound like there were options for a team entering an “all in” season.
RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-27-2019, 03:12 PM   #292

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunKC View Post
What was the alternative here? It sure doesn’t sound like there were options for a team entering an “all in” season.
{Re-reads the last hour worth of posts}

I'm...uh...pretty sure the impetus behind this entire discussion is the availability of a potential alternative...
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-27-2019, 03:22 PM   #293
In Search of a Life

Clowney and Clark have both played in 62 games. Clowney has 55 starts, while Clark has started in 33.

Clowney has never even had a double digit sack season. He’s not an elite pass rusher.

The most important part of that article was this:

Clowney has not rushed the passer at an elite level. His 78.8 pass-rushing grade this past season was the highest of his career. While that was a career high, the uptick in his production hasn’t necessarily come from development as a pass-rusher. The Texans have simply gotten more creative and given him more opportunities to rush inside, where he was actually more productive than outside.

Clark is the better player and will be the better player going forward. Sorry, but you’re wrong.
Old 08-27-2019, 03:22 PM   #294
Andy Reid Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
I think Clark is a better presence and maybe even a better addition to a team that needed an infusion of attitude on that side of the ball.

But I don't think he's a better overall 'player' in a strictly on the field sense. Clowney is !@#$ing good guys. To me he's pretty much the prototype for a 4-3 under SDE.

Y'all are really underrating Clowney. He's a genuinely elite run defender; one of the best in the business. As much as people are lauding Clark as a run defender, historically Clowney has been better. And he's a very good pass rusher to boot. Watch the tape - he oftentimes draws attention away from JJ Watt. That tells you what opponents think of his ability to get to the passer - they'd rather take their chances on JJ. Like Clark, he can bounce inside but I think he's a little more dynamic inside than Clark.

Taking attitude and health issues out of the discussion (which I know isn't fair or appropriate but I'm discussing the idea that Clark is a more rounded player specifically), Jadaveon Clowney is a better football player than Frank Clark.

The Chiefs can argue that they see the ability to get more from Clark than the Seahawks got from him, but betting on the come on a deal of this magnitude is damn risky, especially when Carroll isn't some mouthbreather that doesn't know how to get performance from his defenders.
The risk with Clowney is so much more than Clark. It’s just really bad. Clowney brings us back to Dee Ford territory.

Meniscus tear, arthroscopic knee surgery in 2016 and 2017. He’s missing time periodically and that’s not good for a player making that much.

Frank Clark has missed 2 career games in 4 years. That needs to be noted here. He’s been very reliable to this point.
RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-27-2019, 03:24 PM   #295
In Search of a Life

Quote:
The risk with Clowney is so much more than Clark. It’s just really bad. Clowney brings us back to Dee Ford territory.

Meniscus tear, arthroscopic knee surgery in 2016 and 2017. He’s missing time periodically and that’s not good for a player making that much.

Frank Clark has missed 2 career games in 4 years. That needs to be noted here. He’s been very reliable to this point.
And more productive in the same amount of games with fewer starts. That’s really all that needs to be said.
Old 08-27-2019, 03:25 PM   #296
Out Gunning CP's Fandom Police

Clowney fired his agent today.
TEX has disabled reputation
Old 08-27-2019, 03:31 PM   #297
Andy Reid Supporter

I’ll be honest: Clowney’s knees scare me. He’s entering his prime with 3 knee surgeries, one of them major. Arthroscopic knee surgery tells me he’s having joint problems. At 26, he isn’t going to magically get better.

He’s eroding and with more age, he’ll likely miss time.

He also had Whitney Mercilus and JJ Watt playing next to him and he can’t have a strong season sack wise like Dee Ford or Frank Clark?

That just seems like an awful amount of risk for that much money. Give me the guy with good health, strong leader, strong run defender and 32 sacks in 3 years starting.
Old 08-27-2019, 03:31 PM   #298

Quote:
Originally Posted by staylor26 View Post
Clowney and Clark have both played in 62 games. Clowney has 55 starts, while Clark has started in 33.

Clowney has never even had a double digit sack season. He’s not an elite pass rusher.

The most important part of that article was this:

Clowney has not rushed the passer at an elite level. His 78.8 pass-rushing grade this past season was the highest of his career. While that was a career high, the uptick in his production hasn’t necessarily come from development as a pass-rusher. The Texans have simply gotten more creative and given him more opportunities to rush inside, where he was actually more productive than outside.

Clark is the better player and will be the better player going forward. Sorry, but you’re wrong.
And Clark had a 74.7 grade as a pass rusher last season and you're anointing him a premier rusher for some reason.

Why is a season where Clark was a worse rusher than Clowney somehow evidence for your position that Clark is...uh...a better rusher than Clowney. He most assuredly wasn't last season by your chosen metric. And I've not said Clowney is an elite rusher - only that he's a pretty good one (I said he was an elite run defender).

I mean you can either scrap PFF as a source altogether or acknowledge that Clark has NOT been a better pass-rusher for his career than Clowney has been by their grading. If you want to use PFF, you can't just site a blurb (that lacks internal consistency between the two players) - you have to also acknowledge that for literally every year the two players have been in the league, PFF has graded Clowney higher and SIGNIFICANTLY higher in 3 of those 4.

I'm not sure how you can keep hanging your hat on PFF when in the best year of his 4 year career he was barely better than the worst year of Clowney's over that same period. Or when his best season has never come within 2 points of Clowney's average.

PFF isn't your friend here - they do far more damage to your claim than just citing raw sack figures (though I assume you recognize the folly of using sacks as dispositive of impact).
Old 08-27-2019, 03:34 PM   #299
In Search of a Life

Dude, ignore the ****ing grade. I’m talking about the fact that the Texans had to move him around to get a whopping 9 sacks.

Clark is the better pass rusher because he’s been more productive. And because I’ve watched them both and can see it. It’s really simple.
Old 08-27-2019, 03:34 PM   #300
In Search of a Life

Quote:
I’ll be honest: Clowney’s knees scare me. He’s entering his prime with 3 knee surgeries, one of them major. Arthroscopic knee surgery tells me he’s having joint problems. At 26, he isn’t going to magically get better.

He’s eroding and with more age, he’ll likely miss time.
I think that's the biggest issue I had with Clowney and why I'm really not bothered they went for Clark instead.
BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.