Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room

Old 06-27-2016, 11:23 AM  
Kind of a mod

Investing megathread extravaganza

A place to talk about investing stuff.

Last edited by DaFace; 02-19-2021 at 06:35 PM..
DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-25-2020, 01:49 PM   #6106
MVP

401k doesn't matter since you don't have decisions to make about individual stocks. I have a 401k and a Roth. I treat those differently than my TD Ameritrade account.

There are myriad stocks that have a "buy" rating from my advisors. It's at this point in time that they don't advise buying stocks because the overall market is not moving in the right direction. That could change in a few days.

I've learned to play the middle 80% of the market. Don't buy bottom feeders and don't try to pick the top. When to buy and when to sell are critical. That's where professionals come into play. They do market analysis for a living. I don't.

Good investing!
Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.
Old 09-25-2020, 02:09 PM   #6107
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie View Post
401k doesn't matter since you don't have decisions to make about individual stocks. I have a 401k and a Roth. I treat those differently than my TD Ameritrade account.

There are myriad stocks that have a "buy" rating from my advisors. It's at this point in time that they don't advise buying stocks because the overall market is not moving in the right direction. That could change in a few days.

I've learned to play the middle 80% of the market. Don't buy bottom feeders and don't try to pick the top. When to buy and when to sell are critical. That's where professionals come into play. They do market analysis for a living. I don't.

Good investing!

Definitely, but in the long term, passive strategies tend to outperform active strategies.

Is your managed account doing better than your retirement accounts?

I'm often tempted to take a more hands on approach, but haven't yet.
SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 02:48 PM   #6108
Fish are scared of me

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupDock View Post
Definitely, but in the long term, passive strategies tend to outperform active strategies.

Yup, you can't out predict the market. It's been stated here before that trying to time the market doesn't work to your advantage over regular methodical investing.
Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 03:16 PM   #6109
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupDock View Post

I'm a unique case. The company I worked for matched 401k contributions with stock. They also offered a stock buying program and I participated.

Needless to say I owned a bunch of company stock. There have been two buyouts since 2015 that put the price of the stock through the roof (and were sold).

I guess you could say the 401k is passive and the stock buying part that went to TD Ameritrade is passive. I didn't actively trade the stock.

Since then my active trading has done much better than my 401k and better than most benchmarks. No fund fees either.

Good investing!
Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.
Old 10-05-2020, 09:29 PM   #6110
Mod Team

Any good long term buys right now?

I’ve been analyzing lots of stocks the past few days and nothing looks great for buy and hold.
lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 10-06-2020, 03:07 AM   #6111
Fish are scared of me

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog View Post

I’ve been analyzing lots of stocks the past few days and nothing looks great for buy and hold.
I decided to get into the Electric vehicle market over the last 60 days. I believe over the next 20 years the Internal combustion engine will be obsolete. California has already mandated that by 2035 there will be no new car sales with ICE's. Therefore Ive bought:

TSLA
WKHS
SHLL which just became (HYLN) after the merger yesterday

And the charging station companies:

BLNK
SBE

I like HYLN's concept of thaking the drive train from an existing semi and replacing it with an electric system. It saves existing fleets tons of money over purchasing new Electric semi's

WKHS will blow up if it gets the USPS contract and I think Trump will unleash the funds for USPS before the election.

I'm holding these long term, at least 5 years and not going to worry about what happens between now and then.
Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 10-06-2020, 07:35 AM   #6112
Mod Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin View Post
I decided to get into the Electric vehicle market over the last 60 days. I believe over the next 20 years the Internal combustion engine will be obsolete. California has already mandated that by 2035 there will be no new car sales with ICE's. Therefore Ive bought:

TSLA
WKHS
SHLL which just became (HYLN) after the merger yesterday

And the charging station companies:

BLNK
SBE

I like HYLN's concept of thaking the drive train from an existing semi and replacing it with an electric system. It saves existing fleets tons of money over purchasing new Electric semi's

WKHS will blow up if it gets the USPS contract and I think Trump will unleash the funds for USPS before the election.

I'm holding these long term, at least 5 years and not going to worry about what happens between now and then.
Too many players for the same technology in that market. It’s mostly speculating at this point.

Any good blue chip stocks for long plays? Intel and Cisco are on my radar for beaten down but didn’t pass all the tests yet.

I did add some of LUV. I see it surviving this and possibly buying out others. It’s shown plenty of support in a turbulent sector.
lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 10-09-2020, 06:27 AM   #6113
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberSponge View Post
I am really down with a pigs go to slaughter approach on this through the year.

I don't see any real need to sell out. With the markets ability to rebound from COVID and NAIL being at over 90some in late Feb. all the way down to 6 in Mar. My greed can't help but let me think that it could be 60 in Oct.
Probably out of NAIL today.

It was a great ride. 6.90 to 60.00. More happy that my timeline was pretty much spot on rather than any return.

What else should I look at to reposition the money?
Abba-Dabba Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Abba-Dabba Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Abba-Dabba Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Abba-Dabba Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Abba-Dabba Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Abba-Dabba Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Abba-Dabba Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Abba-Dabba Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Abba-Dabba Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Abba-Dabba Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Abba-Dabba Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 10-09-2020, 06:33 AM   #6114
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberSponge View Post
Probably out of NAIL today.

It was a great ride. 6.90 to 60.00. More happy that my timeline was pretty much spot on rather than any return.

What else should I look at to reposition the money?
Don't think it'll keep going up anymore? I keep kicking myself for buying and selling for quick profits since in at $9.

I missed the 30-45 jump.

Told myself to buy it and just let it sit for a while.

Your thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
wutamess has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.wutamess has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.wutamess has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.wutamess has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.wutamess has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.wutamess has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.wutamess has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.wutamess has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.wutamess has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.wutamess has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.wutamess has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.
Old 10-09-2020, 08:20 AM   #6115
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutamess View Post
Don't think it'll keep going up anymore? I keep kicking myself for buying and selling for quick profits since in at $9.

I missed the 30-45 jump.

Told myself to buy it and just let it sit for a while.

Your thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I do think it can grow more by looking at the charts right now. I see no reason why it can't get back to where it was at pre-covid by sometime next year.

I'm not out of it yet, but am really wanting to take my money.

Abba-Dabba Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Abba-Dabba Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Abba-Dabba Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Abba-Dabba Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Abba-Dabba Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Abba-Dabba Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Abba-Dabba Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Abba-Dabba Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Abba-Dabba Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Abba-Dabba Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Abba-Dabba Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 10-09-2020, 10:51 AM   #6116
Politically Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by scho63 View Post
One of my best friend's has the following 3 stocks as his largest holdings, and I mean large!

1. Tesla (Bought at $388) 300 shares down from 400 shares he sold around $1000
2. Square (Bought at $32) 1,500 shares
3. Shopify (Bought at $740) 100 shares

He is a very happy guy right now. He is the best non-pro stock picker I've ever seen. He told me about Chegg at $30 and a few others that have done incredible.
Square (SQ) has shot up $50 since I posted this. Good lord.
scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 10-09-2020, 10:58 AM   #6117
Veteran

Take a look at doing Roth Conversion out of 401K's

Good chance if Dems go in, Cap Gain taxes will go up, maybe to regular tax levels...Convert now, pay the cap gain now and use the roths for your forced distribution
F150 wants to die in a aids tree fire.F150 wants to die in a aids tree fire.F150 wants to die in a aids tree fire.F150 wants to die in a aids tree fire.F150 wants to die in a aids tree fire.F150 wants to die in a aids tree fire.F150 wants to die in a aids tree fire.F150 wants to die in a aids tree fire.F150 wants to die in a aids tree fire.F150 wants to die in a aids tree fire.F150 wants to die in a aids tree fire.
Old 10-09-2020, 11:21 AM   #6118
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog View Post

I mentioned ENPH about a month ago. Wish I had bought some. I still think it's a good long term investment. They manufacture inverters for solar energy. As I said before I'm sitting on the sidelines until after the election.
Old 10-09-2020, 11:33 AM   #6119
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Take a look at doing Roth Conversion out of 401K's

Good chance if Dems go in, Cap Gain taxes will go up, maybe to regular tax levels...Convert now, pay the cap gain now and use the roths for your forced distribution
That's good advice although the Cap Gains rate has nothing to do with Roth conversions. You will pay tax on the conversion as "ordinary income". So the common tactic is to convert just enough of your traditional 401k or IRA to a Roth without jacking you up to the next tax bracket.

Now that all being said, future income tax rates will definitely be higher if the Dems take control. So the game is to convert now at a lower tax rate or chance paying most likely higher taxes later.
petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 10-09-2020, 07:04 PM   #6120
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie View Post

As I said before I'm sitting on the sidelines until after the election.
The gambler in me is having a really hard time doing this.

My pencil has me ready to pull some gains to put toward buying another rental, but I'm balls out busy right now and wouldn't have time to mess with it until winter.
ghak99 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.ghak99 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.ghak99 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.ghak99 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.ghak99 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.ghak99 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.ghak99 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.ghak99 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.ghak99 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.ghak99 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.ghak99 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.