Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 01-23-2011, 11:58 AM  
Seeking the Truth daily

Off Season Lets Talk Guns, Part 2

Been a while since we had a guns n' ammo discussion.

Some of you are AR shooters Im sure. Im looking at a Colt 6920. Will be my first AR. Picked up a Glock this fall and really enjoy shooting it. Any feedback on that weapon?

Anyone else been in a buy/sell/trade mood with hardware?

Last edited by Bearcat; 07-28-2015 at 05:52 PM..
HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-25-2020, 10:17 PM   #3616
'Tis my eye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveSteam View Post
Nylon 66 Mohawk.
It's my dad's. I shot a lot of squirrels with it when I was a kid.
htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-25-2020, 10:21 PM   #3617
The Constitutional Choo choo

Its been decades since i shot one.
They load from the butts stock?
LiveSteam is obviously part of the inner Circle.LiveSteam is obviously part of the inner Circle.LiveSteam is obviously part of the inner Circle.LiveSteam is obviously part of the inner Circle.LiveSteam is obviously part of the inner Circle.LiveSteam is obviously part of the inner Circle.LiveSteam is obviously part of the inner Circle.LiveSteam is obviously part of the inner Circle.LiveSteam is obviously part of the inner Circle.LiveSteam is obviously part of the inner Circle.LiveSteam is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-25-2020, 10:53 PM   #3618
Ain't no relax!

Quote:
Originally Posted by htismaqe View Post
One of the most fun little guns to shoot...

Another fun plinker gun to shoot. Older cousin bought one for me at K-Mart for really cheap way way back in the day because I was too young at the time. But honestly, if I had to choose between the two, I'd go with the 10/22 every time for pretty much every single reason. Parts for nylon 66 are impossible to find. Teardown and cleaning is infinitely more difficult. Zylon nylon wears down and degrades over time, and much of the rifle was made of that, including many important parts which reduced the overall lifespan dramatically compared to a 10/22. Fun to shoot, and lightweight for sure. But the 10/22 is still a much more reliable and long lasting platform. The nylon 66 was meant to be a dirt cheap offering that wasn't expected to be a forever gun. The 10/22 absolutely is.
Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-25-2020, 10:54 PM   #3619
'Tis my eye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
Another fun plinker gun to shoot. Bought one at K-Mart for really cheap way back in the day. But honestly, if I had to choose between the two, I'd go with the 10/22 every time for pretty much every single reason. Parts for nylon 66 are impossible to find. Teardown and cleaning is infinitely more difficult. Zylon nylon wears down and degrades over time, and much of the rifle was made of that, including many important parts which reduced the overall lifespan dramatically compared to a 10/22. Fun to shoot, and lightweight for sure. But the 10/22 is still a much more reliable and long lasting platform. The nylon 66 was meant to be a dirt cheap offering that wasn't expected to be a forever gun. The 10/22 absolutely is.
My dad has had his for a good 40 years.
htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-25-2020, 11:09 PM   #3620
Ain't no relax!

Quote:
Originally Posted by htismaqe View Post
My dad has had his for a good 40 years.
Not trying to talk down on it. I'm sure it's worked fine for 40 years. But still, it's constructed of a nylon stock DUCO glued to the nylon receiver. That's how they saved money. It was always meant to be a cheap alternative.
Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-25-2020, 11:13 PM   #3621
'Tis my eye!

Quote:
Not trying to talk down on it. I'm sure it's worked fine for 40 years. But still, it's constructed of a nylon stock DUCO glued to the nylon receiver. That's how they saved money. It was always meant to be a cheap alternative.
I know, just giving you a hard time. It's still a fun gun but yeah, it's cheap.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 11:23 PM   #3622
Fight, build, win!

I am the proud owner of my Dads Marlin 39 A mountie carbine early 1960s circa.

My son possesses my old Ruger 10/22 a sweet tac driving plinker. We like to shoot shit and occasionally squirrels at the farm. I was never much for the taste of squirrel my son is the same. Sadly he just doesn't really enjoy the outdoor woodsman ways like his Dad. I hoped he would but he would rather shoot guns on computer games. He does it because he knows I like it. He does love to stump shoot with selfbows I have made and he generally is trying to learn to make Osage Orange bows. He has broke a few but so did I when I started out. I taught him to make flemish twist bowstrings and he is a champ at it so there is still hope.
srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-25-2020, 11:29 PM
Fish
This message has been deleted by Fish.
Old 09-26-2020, 01:04 AM   #3623
Ain't no relax!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megatron96 View Post
I can't think of a single good reason to do this to a perfectly good 10/22. A Bullpup conversion will make what is normally a fairly accurate .22LR rifle significantly less accurate. Bullpup triggers are some of the worst contraptions in the known universe. Bullpups are just about the worst ergonomic designs ever created.

And the Bullpup design is specifically intended for CQB in urban environments. But no one would ever consider the .22LR an adequate defensive round. Never mind the tiny caliber, the low velocity, or the light weight. It's a rimfire cartridge; basically the least reliable construction available.

The thing is about as useful as a bumpstock.
Clearly you haven't ever shot one. Plenty disagree....

Old 09-26-2020, 01:21 AM   #3624
Ain't no relax!

Old 09-26-2020, 01:24 AM   #3625
Suupraa Geniuuusss

Quote:

I've shot a couple. And for their intended purpose, they serve.

But chambered in .22LR? It's an expensive toy. Any bolt-action version will be more accurate and more reliable. Even in a pseudo-AR platform it'd be more accurate, and more ergonomic.

Bullpups for the average shooter are inaccurate, badly designed platforms, period. Given a hundred or so practice rounds I can put rounds on target out to a respectable distance with a bullpup, but most can't. I've seen people miss A-boxes at least than 15 yards using a bullpup for the first time.

And in .22LR I can't think of a single decent purpose for the platform. Varmint shooting? Sorry, but the base platform would be a much, much better set-up.

Plinking? Ditto. I could, much more easily hit pop cans at 100 yards with a standard 10/22 than you could with the bullpup version. Probably I could out-shoot you or any average shooter, while legally drunk between the two platforms.

About the only scenario where the bullpup would out-perform the standard platform would be some kind of game scenario at very close range. And even then, any decent AR-15 would be the better choice and much easier to operate for the average shooter. Hell, I could probably do it with any handgun in my safe.
Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-26-2020, 01:31 AM   #3626
Ain't no relax!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megatron96 View Post
Probably I could out-shoot you or any average shooter, while legally drunk between the two platforms.
LOL... K... Come on by KC, we'll put it to the test. I know a good place to verify.
Old 09-26-2020, 01:48 AM   #3627
Ain't no relax!

Ruger ZK22:

https://aklysdefense.com/
Old 09-26-2020, 02:21 AM   #3628
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS

Quote:
Well, I've never ridden a moped, either.

Not even a tricked-out one.
Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-27-2020, 09:57 AM   #3629
Supporter

My little AR9 pistol came in. Unfortunately I had the displeasure of learning about the distinction between short barreled rifles and braced pistol. Ugh. WTF is that shit? Are we really arguing that a 12” barrel is a menace to society but a 16” barrel isn’t? Really? Whatever. Mine is legal.

Got a few rounds through it. It shoots really smooth and nice like it ought to. It’s probably more accurate than I am so that’s on point. The trigger is really smooth. Fair bit better than my AR trigger. I’m going to have to do some research on triggers. It seems like the first thing dudes switch out is triggers. I always thought they were being douches, but I probably need to figure out what’s what.

I’m not especially fond of the stock Pistol Brace, but it’s fine. I probably won’t mess with it.

The magazine release out of the box was insanely stiff. But I ran a few rounds through it and dropped the magazine it was fine. I don’t know what the deal was. Maybe I was just being a pussy.

This one has a bolt catch for when the magazine is empty. Apparently that’s not especially common in a lot of these models but it is pretty nice. Not that I’ll ever be blowing through a bunch of magazines, but it’s still nice.

It accepts Glock mags. I have a couple 30 round fun sticks but am just using a 17 round pistol magazine. That’s enough for what I’m using it for. But the 30 rounders will be fun at the range. If ammo prices ever come down enough I can do it. Interestingly, the manual says not to fill the magazines to capacity for a break in period. Fine. Not a problem. Ammo is too damn expensive anyway. If I put it in, I’ll just use it.

It came with a hell of a lot of gunk on it. Manual says it is corrosion preventer. I think they just got an elephant to cum on the production line. It was kind of a pain to get off. Probably harder to clean than carbon from normal use. But whatever. It’s clean and lubed and the best thing about it, it’s mine.

Fits nice in the tractor. I’m no tactical wizard or anything but I can get it out and ready to fire relatively quickly. And it’s quiet enough it won’t blow out my eardrums if I fire it without earplugs.
Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 10:13 AM   #3630
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buehler445 View Post
My little AR9 pistol came in. Unfortunately I had the displeasure of learning about the distinction between short barreled rifles and braced pistol. Ugh. WTF is that shit? Are we really arguing that a 12” barrel is a menace to society but a 16” barrel isn’t? Really? Whatever. Mine is legal.

Got a few rounds through it. It shoots really smooth and nice like it ought to. It’s probably more accurate than I am so that’s on point. The trigger is really smooth. Fair bit better than my AR trigger. I’m going to have to do some research on triggers. It seems like the first thing dudes switch out is triggers. I always thought they were being douches, but I probably need to figure out what’s what.

I’m not especially fond of the stock Pistol Brace, but it’s fine. I probably won’t mess with it.

The magazine release out of the box was insanely stiff. But I ran a few rounds through it and dropped the magazine it was fine. I don’t know what the deal was. Maybe I was just being a pussy.

This one has a bolt catch for when the magazine is empty. Apparently that’s not especially common in a lot of these models but it is pretty nice. Not that I’ll ever be blowing through a bunch of magazines, but it’s still nice.

It accepts Glock mags. I have a couple 30 round fun sticks but am just using a 17 round pistol magazine. That’s enough for what I’m using it for. But the 30 rounders will be fun at the range. If ammo prices ever come down enough I can do it. Interestingly, the manual says not to fill the magazines to capacity for a break in period. Fine. Not a problem. Ammo is too damn expensive anyway. If I put it in, I’ll just use it.

It came with a hell of a lot of gunk on it. Manual says it is corrosion preventer. I think they just got an elephant to cum on the production line. It was kind of a pain to get off. Probably harder to clean than carbon from normal use. But whatever. It’s clean and lubed and the best thing about it, it’s mine.

Fits nice in the tractor. I’m no tactical wizard or anything but I can get it out and ready to fire relatively quickly. And it’s quiet enough it won’t blow out my eardrums if I fire it without earplugs.

That's the one head scratcher that I have always found hilarious....what I mean is that when I joined the Army - we were issued ear plugs. Wearing them on the range was MANDATORY.

Got out of basic and AIT and left for Viet Nam (11B). Hit Tan Son Nhut Air Base and the FIRST thing we were told was to "lose the damned ear tampons".....

I was sitting around the house the other day and "attempted" to remember the approximate number of rounds I fired in combat - only a guess mind you. I figured somewhere in the range of 25,000 - 35,000 with a M16, a M14, a .45, a M60 and a few rounds with a M2. Not to mention a few rounds of AK......

Now I know why I have to look at my wife and say "huh?" often....
Randallflagg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Randallflagg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Randallflagg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Randallflagg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Randallflagg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Randallflagg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Randallflagg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Randallflagg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Randallflagg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Randallflagg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Randallflagg is obviously part of the inner Circle.