Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 03-17-2015, 12:29 PM  
Has a particular set of skills

***Official Car and Gearhead Thread***

Seems like we need one on here to talk cars, mods and the coolness of your or their car.

Interested? Chime in
BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-21-2022, 02:04 PM   #5296
Needs more middle fingers

Also, some sage advice for you....make sure that whomever is doing the install uses a decent exhaust hanger.

Seems like most muffler shops just want to use those cheap ass wire hangers and good god they're awful. They rust, they snap...they're the reason you see cars with tail pipes that wag like a dog tail.

Make sure your installer uses a good hanger.

We like to use one made by Pypes Performance Exhaust. Part number: TPHV6.

There's some billet shit we've used too in the past if you want to get real fancy, but id have to dig up that P/N
ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 02:05 PM   #5297
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

So when people talk about 'drone' - what are they referring to in your experience?

Because in the Camaro I had a really bad harmonic resonance at about 1200 RPM where the whole cabin would 'fill' and you could really feel it. I'd have to feather the throttle one direction or another to get out of that rev range anytime I hit it. Obviously that's no bueno; made the car damn near undriveable (I finally took the pipes out past the rear axle to get rid of it; partially to pass inspection but also just to make the vehicle more driveable).

Or are they referring to just that thrum that comes from sitting at a cruising RPM. Because as far as I can tell...that's just noise. It's what you ask for when you get an aggressive exhaust.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-21-2022, 02:12 PM   #5298

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
So when people talk about 'drone' - what are they referring to in your experience?

Because in the Camaro I had a really bad harmonic resonance at about 1200 RPM where the whole cabin would 'fill' and you could really feel it. I'd have to feather the throttle one direction or another to get out of that rev range anytime I hit it. Obviously that's no bueno; made the car damn near undriveable (I finally took the pipes out past the rear axle to get rid of it; partially to pass inspection but also just to make the vehicle more driveable).

Or are they referring to just that thrum that comes from sitting at a cruising RPM. Because as far as I can tell...that's just noise. It's what you ask for when you get an aggressive exhaust.
It's a dull hum. A dull, hollow, monotone hum. It could even cause vibrations in the car. You'll hear it more cruising on the fwy @ 2K RPM than you would at idle. For me, it ****ing puts me to sleep during freeway driving. It's a much bigger deal on your Camaro than your truck as your Truck likely has resonators and a design that aid in reducing drone.

Even on this coyote swap i keep mentioning we are using resonators.

It sounds like what you are describing with your Camaro is a drone issue. Im guessing your exhaust is custom from the headers back?
ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-21-2022, 02:20 PM   #5299
Supporter

Quote:
I love this truck. So unless my wife decides "Hey, why don't you just go get a TRX for shits and giggles..." I figure I'll take this to 150K miles or so and I only put about 9K/yr on it. So it's got another 10 years at least. Shit, now that I think about it, my daughter is 8. May just give the thing to her in 8 years so I still have a truck in the house and then go find a go fast as my daily...

Hmm.....

In either event, ain't too worried about re-sale.

Yeah, Detox has always been a good source for this stuff. And !@#$ing Growling Sidewinder videos have brutally murdered my productivity.
Goddamn notorious

I used to be a run it until it dies guy, but I'm keeping a decent pickup around for the farm for reliability purposes. So for whatever it's worth here has been our experience.

Dad's 2019 5.6 L with 56,000 broke a lifter
Moms 2022 with 2,000 killed a transmission
My 2021 6.2 L with 21,000 broke a lifter

All within 6 weeks of each other.

Now, I know that if they all started at the same time, it wouldn't be that bad, but I was feeling kind of picked on. I also know they're GM, not RAM. I also know it's a small sample size and not representative of any larger group of vehicles.

Nonetheless, I've decided I'm not going to run anything out of warranty. My pickup has a fleet warranty on it so it gets 100K drivetrain, and the wife's car I bought an extended one on. We still have a farm vehicle for the wife that is out of warranty, but once it goes away, I'll probably keep that one warranty too.

Oh, one more anecdote: My MPCI adjuster broke a lifter in his RAM about the time I got my pickup back out of the shop.

I'm not telling anybody to do anything, but I'm going to keep shit in warranty.
Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-21-2022, 02:21 PM   #5300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detoxing View Post
It's a dull hum. A dull, hollow, monotone hum. It could even cause vibrations in the car. You'll hear it more cruising on the fwy @ 2K RPM than you would at idle. For me, it ****ing puts me to sleep during freeway driving. It's a much bigger deal on your Camaro than your truck as your Truck likely has resonators and a design that aid in reducing drone.

Even on this coyote swap i keep mentioning we are using resonators.

It sounds like what you are describing with your Camaro is a drone issue. Im guessing your exhaust is custom from the headers back?
Yeah, sounds like that's the issue the Camaro had. And it absolutely sucked. You could feel it in your head because the car would sound fine for a minute and then hit that RPM band and it would just suddenly start echoing through the cabin. It had that 'full' noise similar to when you drive with only one window down.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-21-2022, 03:31 PM   #5301
Wearing ballistic dog goggles.

Quote:
We don't use Borla here so i couldn't really tell you.

What i can tell you is that i've had a number of local guys who absolutely hate the sound of the Flowmaster stuff.

"Tin Can" would be a good way to explain it. Mostly it's the issue of exhaust drone. Flowmaster is notorious for it. I've known people who regretted putting Flowmaster on. But to each their own, right?

We were big supporters of Spintech for awhile.

Then we had one of our local customers pull up in his '66 coupe. Engine is nothing too special, a 331. But goddamn his exhaust sounded mean and he put us on to Black Widow and we've been using it ever since.

The "No Drone" thing is the biggest sell point. As their slogan says, "All Tone, No Drone". It's an aggressive sounding exhaust.

I have no sales pitch for them. (Quite frankly, i barely make anything off of selling their product so i could really give a damn if i personally sell it or not).

Just wanted to hand out some anecdotal info.

We're dead smack in the middle of building an exhaust system right now using two of their mufflers.
I like the sound of Flowmasters, got a pair of 40 Series on the Jeep but I do know the drone your talking about. Luckily with my Jeeps gearing it doesn't spend enough time at 2K RPM's to make it an issue.
Side note, you can crush those things against rocks/tree stumps until they pancake flat and they will still work. I haven't put that to the test, BTW.
Radar Chief is obviously part of the inner Circle.Radar Chief is obviously part of the inner Circle.Radar Chief is obviously part of the inner Circle.Radar Chief is obviously part of the inner Circle.Radar Chief is obviously part of the inner Circle.Radar Chief is obviously part of the inner Circle.Radar Chief is obviously part of the inner Circle.Radar Chief is obviously part of the inner Circle.Radar Chief is obviously part of the inner Circle.Radar Chief is obviously part of the inner Circle.Radar Chief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-21-2022, 08:19 PM   #5302
That's just f***in' stupid

Quote:
Also, some sage advice for you....make sure that whomever is doing the install uses a decent exhaust hanger.

Seems like most muffler shops just want to use those cheap ass wire hangers and good god they're awful. They rust, they snap...they're the reason you see cars with tail pipes that wag like a dog tail.

We like to use one made by Pypes Performance Exhaust. Part number: TPHV6.

There's some billet shit we've used too in the past if you want to get real fancy, but id have to dig up that P/N
Got any connections in KC area? I want to do a mid muffler delete on my Scat Pack. I'd also like to do a bypass of the idle valve... I get why they put it in there, but damn it is annoying, esp since they put a sensor on that B.

What are your thoughts on removal of the new particulate filters on the new 992? The addition of the twin turbos makes it a ridiculous beast of a vehicle, but the sound is a bit muted. Naturally aspirated always sounds better, but those twins are ridiculous. The next level up from base (S) can hang with older model Turbo S fercrissakes.
HC_Chief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.HC_Chief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.HC_Chief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.HC_Chief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.HC_Chief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.HC_Chief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.HC_Chief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.HC_Chief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.HC_Chief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.HC_Chief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.HC_Chief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
Old 09-21-2022, 09:22 PM   #5303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buehler445 View Post
Goddamn notorious

I used to be a run it until it dies guy, but I'm keeping a decent pickup around for the farm for reliability purposes. So for whatever it's worth here has been our experience.

Dad's 2019 5.6 L with 56,000 broke a lifter
Moms 2022 with 2,000 killed a transmission
My 2021 6.2 L with 21,000 broke a lifter

All within 6 weeks of each other.

Now, I know that if they all started at the same time, it wouldn't be that bad, but I was feeling kind of picked on. I also know they're GM, not RAM. I also know it's a small sample size and not representative of any larger group of vehicles.

Nonetheless, I've decided I'm not going to run anything out of warranty. My pickup has a fleet warranty on it so it gets 100K drivetrain, and the wife's car I bought an extended one on. We still have a farm vehicle for the wife that is out of warranty, but once it goes away, I'll probably keep that one warranty too.

Oh, one more anecdote: My MPCI adjuster broke a lifter in his RAM about the time I got my pickup back out of the shop.

I'm not telling anybody to do anything, but I'm going to keep shit in warranty.
I went ahead and bucked up the extra $1,200 for the extended warranty on mine (though I'm honestly not sure how I'd even go about making a claim - probably just call the dealership and have them walk me through it). I believe it added 100K and 10 years to my standard 3/36K. And it's the full boat warranty rather than just a powertrain one.

The reason is that when my Ford was about 5 years old, every stupid little gadget in the world broke on it. The power running boards jammed because their gears all stripped out. The sliding rear glass went out. The ****ing fuel door elastic broke so the door wouldn't stay shut (they wanted $800 to repair it because you had to take the body panel off the bed to get to the stupid little rubber piece). A couple major AC components failed. The catalytic converter plates in the front shattered so it rattled like a paint can when it idled. The rag joint got loose so it gave me a 'hitch' when I started moving. Mostly I ****ing hated that piece of shit Ford. Worst vehicle I've ever owned (though the engine was great; started right up every time). That thing got driven like a minivan and yet something seemed to break on it every month.

I didn't fix any of it (except the AC). Because the thing still ran and it would've cost like $8 grand to have it all done. And by the end - **** that truck, I wanted it to be uncomfortable. I wouldn't spend money on it out of spite.

Now fast forward to the Ram with even more tech and now a giant touch-screen that controls most of what goes on. If that touch screen fails, I'm not completely certain the thing would even go in gear. And you KNOW that's a $3K fix somehow. I had such a bad experience with every gadget on that ****ing Ford failing that I decided that I would get the warranty to make sure I could always just fix that crap until the truck was old enough that I didn't care anymore. There's just too much whiz/bang stuff on modern pickup trucks.
Old 09-21-2022, 09:45 PM   #5304
Supporter

Quote:
I went ahead and bucked up the extra $1,200 for the extended warranty on mine (though I'm honestly not sure how I'd even go about making a claim - probably just call the dealership and have them walk me through it). I believe it added 100K and 10 years to my standard 3/36K. And it's the full boat warranty rather than just a powertrain one.

The reason is that when my Ford was about 5 years old, every stupid little gadget in the world broke on it. The power running boards jammed because their gears all stripped out. The sliding rear glass went out. The ****ing fuel door elastic broke so the door wouldn't stay shut (they wanted $800 to repair it because you had to take the body panel off the bed to get to the stupid little rubber piece). A couple major AC components failed. The catalytic converter plates in the front shattered so it rattled like a paint can when it idled. The rag joint got loose so it gave me a 'hitch' when I started moving. Mostly I ****ing hated that piece of shit Ford. Worst vehicle I've ever owned (though the engine was great; started right up every time). That thing got driven like a minivan and yet something seemed to break on it every month.

I didn't fix any of it (except the AC). Because the thing still ran and it would've cost like $8 grand to have it all done. And by the end - **** that truck, I wanted it to be uncomfortable. I wouldn't spend money on it out of spite.

Now fast forward to the Ram with even more tech and now a giant touch-screen that controls most of what goes on. If that touch screen fails, I'm not completely certain the thing would even go in gear. And you KNOW that's a $3K fix somehow. I had such a bad experience with every gadget on that ****ing Ford failing that I decided that I would get the warranty to make sure I could always just fix that crap until the truck was old enough that I didn't care anymore. There's just too much whiz/bang stuff on modern pickup trucks.
Agreed. I beat the shit out of mine, and at about 80K they're still tight enough to convince someone that it isn't a "farmer pickup" and still have a ton of value, so I don't keep them long.

I had a 15 Silverado that was probably about right on tech. It was damned reliable and still had bluetooth to my phone (I've met my lifetime quota for radio...Seriously. Never again). Unfortunately some jackass ran a stop sign and TBoned my ass in it.

But even then it had a steering position sensor that went out right as I was turning out in front of a semi. I had the situational awareness to straighten it back out and worry about the turn later, but it wasn't the best time.

But I'll take that over the junk I grew up on. ****ing carbeurators and chokes and dog shit. And GOD ****ING FORBID I ever run a set of goddamned points ever again.

I'm pretty handy, but I need pickups (especially since they don't make money) to just run. Technology is good when it adds functionality or reliability, but there is certainly a limit.
Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-22-2022, 04:24 PM   #5305

Quote:
Originally Posted by HC_Chief View Post
Got any connections in KC area? I want to do a mid muffler delete on my Scat Pack. I'd also like to do a bypass of the idle valve... I get why they put it in there, but damn it is annoying, esp since they put a sensor on that B.

What are your thoughts on removal of the new particulate filters on the new 992? The addition of the twin turbos makes it a ridiculous beast of a vehicle, but the sound is a bit muted. Naturally aspirated always sounds better, but those twins are ridiculous. The next level up from base (S) can hang with older model Turbo S fercrissakes.
Nah, no connection in the KC area.

As far as the 992, i have no idea man.

We do very niche, specific work here. 64-73 Mustangs. You can ask me ANYTHING about a classic Mustang. Newer cars though? No clue, lol.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 06:55 PM   #5306
best in the biz

Quote:

This ain't no lie.

stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-22-2022, 07:31 PM   #5307
best in the biz

On a lighter note, had my cowl hood painted and installed a four inch tall air filter.

Rides pretty smooth.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1221.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	125005  

Last edited by stevieray; 09-22-2022 at 07:40 PM..
stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 4 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 05:29 PM   #5308
Ultrabanned

***Official Car and Gearhead Thread***

Got myself a new ride. Wife and I are adding to the family and we were gonna buy another SUV, but I lobbied for a much more practical vehicle of course.

'21 Bighorn. Not the top trim but definitely the top of what I wanted to spend! **** these things are expensive anymore. This truck is so damn nice to drive. Maybe some day I'll go after a Limited or Rebel trim when I want to drop more money because Ram did a lot right with this vehicle. I did read DJLN posts in this thread when I was trying to parse down how interested I was in a Ram, so shoutout there for sure.

Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 3 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 05:43 PM   #5309
Mod Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
Got myself a new ride. Wife and I are adding to the family and we were gonna buy another SUV, but I lobbied for a much more practical vehicle of course.

'21 Bighorn. Not the top trim but definitely the top of what I wanted to spend! **** these things are expensive anymore. This truck is so damn nice to drive. Maybe some day I'll go after a Limited or Rebel trim when I want to drop more money because Ram did a lot right with this vehicle. I did read DJLN posts in this thread when I was trying to parse down how interested I was in a Ram, so shoutout there for sure.

Kid number 2 or 3?

Should have got a vasectomy man. I spent a cool $100 on mine this year.
lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 10-10-2022, 05:46 PM   #5310
Ultrabanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog View Post
Kid number 2 or 3?

Should have got a vasectomy man. I spent a cool $100 on mine this year.

My wife will be getting a C-section so I think they can just tie her up while they're in there. If that's not practical I will be doing just that.
Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.