Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2020, 10:23 AM   #2
M-I-Z-Z-O-U

Jones is a valuable player and deserves to be paid equivalent to Deforrest Buckner, who is a slightly worse player the past 2 years.

That's a tough ask for the Chiefs, though, if the salary cap goes down in 2021 as is now expected/projected. If things had stayed on track, I don't think it's an issue to get Jones done and Mahomes done.

Tough spot for the player and the team. I respect Jones' willingness to do what is necessary to "get the bag" and won't ever blame a player for seeking to maximize his profits.

But it looks like a trade is inevitable at this point. The Lions, Eagles, and Washington all have huge amounts of cap space, and the Giants and Packers have enough to make a deal happen for this season.

If you can swing a trade to one of those squads and get a first or second-round pick in 2021 out of it, it makes sense to me. The team has to be willing to commit to paying him the moneys, though.

Washington already has pretty hefty investments along its DL with Young and Sweat, so not sure they'd step up with an offer. I could see Detroit or Philly taking a stab, and the Giants and Packers both would make a ton of sense and have a need.

I also still think the Jets are a good potential landing spot IF they can swing Jamal Adams' involvement. Even if there is no pick compensation involved, a Jones for Adams swap might make sense for both.
duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 3 Thumbs Down 0    
Old 07-01-2020, 10:32 AM   #3
My Mamma Says

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho View Post
Jones is a valuable player and deserves to be paid equivalent to Deforrest Buckner, who is a slightly worse player the past 2 years.

That's a tough ask for the Chiefs, though, if the salary cap goes down in 2021 as is now expected/projected. If things had stayed on track, I don't think it's an issue to get Jones done and Mahomes done.

Tough spot for the player and the team. I respect Jones' willingness to do what is necessary to "get the bag" and won't ever blame a player for seeking to maximize his profits.

But it looks like a trade is inevitable at this point. The Lions, Eagles, and Washington all have huge amounts of cap space, and the Giants and Packers have enough to make a deal happen for this season.

If you can swing a trade to one of those squads and get a first or second-round pick in 2021 out of it, it makes sense to me. The team has to be willing to commit to paying him the moneys, though.

Washington already has pretty hefty investments along its DL with Young and Sweat, so not sure they'd step up with an offer. I could see Detroit or Philly taking a stab, and the Giants and Packers both would make a ton of sense and have a need.

I also still think the Jets are a good potential landing spot IF they can swing Jamal Adams' involvement. Even if there is no pick compensation involved, a Jones for Adams swap might make sense for both.
I don’t see any team trading for anyone due to the uncertain future of the season and the risk of a reduced cap in 2021..
Kman34 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Kman34 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Kman34 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Kman34 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Kman34 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Kman34 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Kman34 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Kman34 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Kman34 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Kman34 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Kman34 is obviously part of the inner Circle.

Old 07-01-2020, 11:00 AM   #4
Black Bob's daddy

Quote:

Are you suggesting they would trade him now or after the season? Because if they trade him now it makes zero sense why they wouldn't have done it before the draft when they could have gotten a 2020 pick to help them this year when they're trying to run it back. If they can somehow get him to play in 2020 and then tag and trade him in 2021 then that's fine, as his contribution this season will be important.
OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.

Old 07-01-2020, 11:02 AM   #5
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Quote:

If they have to take a 2nd when the 9ers were able to get a high 1st for a lesser player, that's a pretty shitty look for Veach.

They needed to have a better feel for how close they were on this one, IMO. I had identified the Colts as a great landing spot for him before the Buckner deal, though I preferred getting their 2 second rounders.

If the Chiefs weren't damn close to having a deal done, they really needed to outflank SF on that trade. Failing to do so will have significant long-term consequences for KC.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0    
Old 07-01-2020, 11:07 AM   #6
Most Valuable Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
If they have to take a 2nd when the 9ers were able to get a high 1st for a lesser player, that's a pretty shitty look for Veach.

They needed to have a better feel for how close they were on this one, IMO. I had identified the Colts as a great landing spot for him before the Buckner deal, though I preferred getting their 2 second rounders.

If the Chiefs weren't damn close to having a deal done, they really needed to outflank SF on that trade. Failing to do so will have significant long-term consequences for KC.
I’m thinking that Veach thought he was going to have the money to pay Jones. Then the whole lesser salary cap shit hit because of COVID.
The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.

Old 07-01-2020, 12:18 PM   #7
Black Bob's daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Franchise View Post
I’m thinking that Veach thought he was going to have the money to pay Jones. Then the whole lesser salary cap shit hit because of COVID.
Covid was around before the draft, so that should have already been seen as a possibility.
OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.

Old 07-01-2020, 12:43 PM   #8
M-I-Z-Z-O-U

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post

I’m thinking a high second there and probably paired with another pick (4th? Swap of thirds? Future 2nd). Didn’t say that but was just thinking about the headliner piece.

I think you can place most of the blame here on the pandemic and the projected dip in salary cap. With a projected increase, Jones is extendable even with Mahomes’ new deal and you still have some maneuverability in the cap.

Without it? Man, playing around with some extensions to Kelce, mathieu and Fisher I can see a way to free up the year 2 cap room you’d need, but that puts you in place for a precipitous talent drain in 2022/23 as those guys hit the portions of those extensions where you probably cut them and take some dead cap hits.

Getting the Buckner deal done before salary cap implications of the pandemic were evident AND with no hint of problems between Buckner and the 49ers were factors, plus you had the 5th year player option for Buckner, which changed the dynamic a bit (since it wasn’t a tag year).

I think it’s a hindsight situation.

HAD Veach known the cap situation was going to get messy, torpedo his plans to extend Jones, and lead to media fallout, I’m sure it would have been played differently...
duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.

Old 07-01-2020, 10:28 AM   #9
Best Body On ChiefsPlanet

I'd love to keep him but he isn't in a position to demand anything from the Chiefs. We have Mahomes and a ton of other talent. Worse comes to worse we just trade him.
PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.

Old 07-01-2020, 10:32 AM   #10
MVP

The Steelers offer trash contracts to all their players. I'm actually surprised more players don't hold out. They're guaranteed one year and they were gonna run Bell into the ground.

Bell ended up on a worse team and lost money holding out but did get a contract with guaranteed money in the end.

Running backs should have their own contract language, they're getting screwed and meanwhile the ones that do get huge contracts end up not living up to them. There has to be some middle ground. It should have been worked into the CBA
Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Thumbs Up 0 Thumbs Down 1    
Old 07-01-2020, 11:18 AM   #11
Special Teams ACE!!!

I mean, if we're looking at getting max value out of Jones in a trade, I know of a team that would apparently rape their own grandmothers to get him.

https://www.raidersbeat.com/tafur-ra...n-free-agency/

I'm trying to find the link where they visited Raiders facilities this offseason and Gruden and Mayock were both like, "Look, we're not going to be secretive. We will move heaven and earth to get Chris Jones here if it's possible."

I know that's asking for trouble trading him to a division rival, but keep in mind that Andy Reid once traded his first-born QB to a division rival back when he was in Philly.

If the Raiders got desperate and offered a Frank Clark haul like a 2021 1st and a 2022 2nd? Without the 3rd round toss back we got in the deal? Man, that's tempting, especially since we still have Mahomes and they're still the ****ing Raiders
RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0    
Old 07-01-2020, 11:35 AM   #12
Replaced by a future HOFer !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealSNR View Post
I know that's asking for trouble trading him to a division rival,
Pissing off Jones not paying him only to go to a division rival in which he would eat our interior line for lunch along with Mahomes ?? Because that IS our achilles heal on offense IMHO and allowing CJ to be motivated to boot. Yes DL usually disappear after they get their $$ BUT CJ would be motivated at least 2wice a year and I am not allowing any kind of situation where my HOF QB is going to get hit even more this year. There is no haul of draft picks worth getting Mahomey hurt IMHO.
Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0    
Old 07-01-2020, 11:48 AM   #13
Veteran

Yay chiefs news!

Shit, it's bad news.
tyecopeland 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellityecopeland 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellityecopeland 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellityecopeland 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellityecopeland 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellityecopeland 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellityecopeland 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellityecopeland 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellityecopeland 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellityecopeland 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellityecopeland 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli

Old 07-01-2020, 12:55 PM   #14
pie is never free

I have much faith in Veach getting this worked out

But if not, it’s not like the cupboard is bare along the front line... and of course we DO still have #15, so we’ll be fine
Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.

Old 07-01-2020, 01:14 PM   #15
Rufus Dawes Jr.

My thoughts, not that they matter.

1. This ****ing COVID BS sucks. How it is messing with the Salary cap just sucks. No way anyone could have seen this coming. So it's not like Veach could prepare for it. We knew it was going to be tight the way it is to pay both Pat and Chris.

2. With the advantage of hindsight, I wonder if the Chiefs knowing what they do now would have given Watkins his walking papers. Now I'm not sure that fixes the Jones situation, but it couldn't hurt. And hell the Chiefs would still have Hill, Hardman, and D-Rob.

3. Despite all of that, Chris Jones was always going to threaten a holdout. Thats how these things work. Chris isn't being disrespected, but he isn't getting what he wants.

4. Holding out could force a trade, but I'm not sure that's in Jones' best interest. Its not like he's going to go to a better situation for him. Sure, if you want to force your way on to the NY Giants and get a big payday then yeah, that's possible.

5. Not sure why the NFL and Players Association can't figure out a way to give teams some sort of relief with next year's salary cap. It's a one year issue, I'm sure a creative solution can be found, like valuing contracts at 90% for cap purposes or something. I don't know.

While the Chiefs have a problem with Jones, I think ultimately its a problem for the entire NFL, the Chiefs due to their upcoming free agents are just having to deal with it sooner than the rest of the league.
Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.

Closed Thread