Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 11-17-2017, 07:45 AM  
MVP

Tesla unveil Semi, new Roadster, & also teased a "pickup truck"

Anyone watch the unveil last night?

The numbers on the semi destroyed what anyone thought possible.

- 0-60 in 5 sec
- 0-60 in 20 sec under max gross payload of 80k lbs
- 65mph up 5% grade under max lied, compared to 45mph for ICE semi
- 500 mile range
- 400 miles of additional range after 30 min charge
- Guaranteed 7¢/kWh fuel cost(solar) compared to volatile oil
- Nuclear explosion proof glass(apparently cracked windshield takes semi off road)
- 1 million mile guarantee it won't breakdown
- Will never need a brake change
- "Impossible" to jacknife
- Beats semis on economics day 1
- In convoy mode, beats rail on economics

300 miles of range: $150,000
500 miles of range: $180,000
Founders series: $200,000

https://youtu.be/CBTQnmUolas
The Roadster was a complete surprise, and the numbers given destroy any production car you can think of, even a Koenisegg.

- 0-60 in 1.9 sec (this is faster than most Formula 1 cars)
- 0-100 in 4.2
- 1/4 mile in 8.9 sec
- 250+ mph top speed
- 621 mile range (That's Kansas City to Denver without fueling)
- 10,000 nm torque

and that's the base model. Starting at $200k and Founders series at $250k. Destroys million dollar cars.

Also teased a rendering image of a consumer pickup truck with a normal truck in the bed.

https://youtu.be/5n9xafjynJA

Last edited by aturnis; 11-23-2017 at 02:02 AM..
aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.
Old 05-13-2018, 10:57 AM   #181
Mod Team

Start posting a consistent profit and then we’ll talk.
lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-13-2018, 01:10 PM   #182
Future NBA Finals MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog View Post
Remember when Amazon didnt make any money for years and everyone said they would fail? Now Jeff Bezos is the richest person in the world.
BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-13-2018, 02:29 PM   #183
Sometimes it's black and white

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWillie View Post
Remember when Amazon didnt make any money for years and everyone said they would fail? Now Jeff Bezos is the richest person in the world.
Yes, I remember when Amazon lost a little bit of money on each sale but made up for it with volume.

I also remember that for everyone Amazon there were hundreds of dot.com bubble companies that did in fact go bankrupt.

Facebook wasn't the only social media company. Google wasn't the only search engine. Apple wasn't the only company making music players.

Musk has done an amazing job with his space rocket company. For his car company he has created a prestigious brand and an impressive sport car.

It really remains to be seen whether he can mass produce a mid-price car in sufficient volume and reliability to make a go of it. His track record so far is very poor.

I'm curious also as to why he thought it was better to jump to a full sized electric Semi instead of doing a smaller delivery truck. Long distance trucking produces all sorts of headaches regarding range and re-charging. An urban delivery truck that spends a lot of time loading/unloading and stuck in slow moving traffic wouldn't need near the same range and always returns to the same location at night for charging.
Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 05-13-2018, 03:06 PM   #184
Kind of a mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Pagan View Post
It really remains to be seen whether he can mass produce a mid-price car in sufficient volume and reliability to make a go of it. His track record so far is very poor.
I'm curious what gives you this impression. Because they're short of his insane prediction of how long it would take to ramp up? If you pay attention to pretty much every business he's ever run, he sets insane deadlines, misses them, but still hits them in about half the time everyone else thought he'd be able to. That's basically what we're seeing here.

There hasn't been a successful car startup in the U.S. in the past 90 years. So what is his track record being measured against that has been so much more successful?

Quote:
I'm curious also as to why he thought it was better to jump to a full sized electric Semi instead of doing a smaller delivery truck. Long distance trucking produces all sorts of headaches regarding range and re-charging. An urban delivery truck that spends a lot of time loading/unloading and stuck in slow moving traffic wouldn't need near the same range and always returns to the same location at night for charging.
Which would make a bigger impact on reducing fossil fuel consumption and emissions? There's your answer.

It's baffling to me that people haven't figured out yet that Elon's goal isn't to make money.
DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-13-2018, 03:17 PM   #185
Kind of a mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog View Post
History suggests that that'll probably happen by Q4 this year, but we'll see.

DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-13-2018, 05:56 PM   #186
He's Mahomie!

None of this matters. Tesla will be out of business in less than 10 years...
MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-13-2018, 06:32 PM   #187
Kind of a mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by MahiMike View Post
Hot take.
Old 05-13-2018, 06:38 PM   #188
Ith Fuhtbawl Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by MahiMike View Post
When cars drive us there won’t be many car makers left.
Bewbies 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Bewbies 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Bewbies 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Bewbies 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Bewbies 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Bewbies 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Bewbies 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Bewbies 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Bewbies 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Bewbies 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Bewbies 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:03 PM   #189
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghak99 View Post
They'll be ready to roll in 2019!
Maybe 2019, maybe 2020. Who cares if it's late? So long as it destroys everything else out there and gets there first. Everyone wins, especially investors.

Daimler says the Semi brains the laws of physics at a 500 mile range, and Musk claims they'll achieve 600. Seems to me they'll have a sizeable lead.

Buehler, doing the math I'm using, the Tesla should weigh in at about the same as an average sleeper truck. They have the semis on the roads testing now. Not sure what's hard to believe about something that exists.

Last edited by aturnis; 05-13-2018 at 09:52 PM..
aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:05 PM   #190
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by listopencil View Post
Yup, I'm familiar with the terminology. I'm counting on battery companies to keep my vaping gear operational. It's 21700 by the way rather than 2170. I currently use the LG HG2 (18650). The Samsung 30T (21700) has been tested and rated by an electrical engineer at 3000 mAh with a continuous discharge rating of 35 Amps. Not bad at all if you want a good, safe battery. By the time I swap away from 18650's I should be sitting pretty.
Whatcha vapin'?
Old 05-13-2018, 09:16 PM   #191
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Pagan View Post
Yes, I remember when Amazon lost a little bit of money on each sale but made up for it with volume.

I also remember that for everyone Amazon there were hundreds of dot.com bubble companies that did in fact go bankrupt.

Facebook wasn't the only social media company. Google wasn't the only search engine. Apple wasn't the only company making music players.

Musk has done an amazing job with his space rocket company. For his car company he has created a prestigious brand and an impressive sport car.

I guess I don't think it remains to be seen, and I don't understand how he has a poor track record.

Tesla has MUCH better profit margins than traditional OEMs, aim for 25% across the board as o pad to the 5% industry standard. And production/profitability seems to literally be only a matter of time. At least, I can't think of any real hurdles to this. Really the hardest part is growing and managing your supply chain in unison.

As far as track records, I mean, hasn't he accomplished all of his goals since 2012 up until this point? I bet you'd be hard pressed to find others who have done so well.

As for going big rig first, it's all about destroying conventional solutions to destroy conventional wisdom.

If he came out with a competitor for the F150, there'd be all of this false narrative about an electric truck not getting the job done. They'd likely struggle to gain market share in multiple markets for years due to nothing more than ignorance and bias. If he destroys semis with an electric option, the news will get out, and those people spending ridiculous amounts on trucks will be forced to take notice immediately.

It's the "beat up the biggest guy in the prison yard" strategy coupled with what DaFace said.

Last edited by aturnis; 05-13-2018 at 09:32 PM..
Old 05-13-2018, 10:47 PM   #192
It's Five O'Clock Somewhere

OOOOOPS

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2018/05/...tah-wreck.html
Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-13-2018, 11:00 PM   #193
Immanentize The Eschaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturnis View Post
Whatcha vapin'?
Currently 50/50@18nic at 15 Watts in a Kafun 5 on a Joyetech Elitar e-pipe.
listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-13-2018, 11:15 PM   #194
BAMF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwana View Post
So? Even if it ends up being software error why is it a big deal? I would happily have the roads crowded with semi-autonomous vehicles that are nearly 4 times safer than the average "dumb" car. As these systems gain wider use they will become more efficient and safer. The only reason these headlines grab any attention currently is because humans don't like the idea of their fate being decided for them.
bowener has disabled reputation
Old 05-14-2018, 12:36 AM   #195
Future NBA Finals MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowener View Post
So? Even if it ends up being software error why is it a big deal? I would happily have the roads crowded with semi-autonomous vehicles that are nearly 4 times safer than the average "dumb" car. As these systems gain wider use they will become more efficient and safer. The only reason these headlines grab any attention currently is because humans don't like the idea of their fate being decided for them.
Exactamundo. Media eats it up ever time a Tesla is involved in an accident. And they don't even know if it is on auto pilot or not in that previous. Very few people use Auto Pilot when there are stop lights present.

My autopilot actually saved me from an accident the other day on Ridgeview. Some guy tried to pull out of the car wash and go COMPLETELY to the otherside of the street to a business. And the car stopped in time. Combine this all with the fact that this is the first autonomous optioned car, ever (meaning they will constantly make improvements every year) it is a great success. Auto Pilot enabled Tesla's have been found to be 3-4 times safer than older non AP Teslas.....
BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.