Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 01-23-2011, 11:58 AM  
Seeking the Truth daily

Off Season Lets Talk Guns, Part 2

Been a while since we had a guns n' ammo discussion.

Some of you are AR shooters Im sure. Im looking at a Colt 6920. Will be my first AR. Picked up a Glock this fall and really enjoy shooting it. Any feedback on that weapon?

Anyone else been in a buy/sell/trade mood with hardware?

Last edited by Bearcat; 07-28-2015 at 05:52 PM..
HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-30-2018, 07:37 PM   #1756
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Chef View Post
Thinking about getting one of these, anyone have an opinion?

https://www.remington.com/rifles/bol...del-783-scoped

First off the scope and rings you get with that package are complete junk. They're very cheaply made. My brother-in-law bought one a couple years back and it's exactly what bigjosh said. Remington's quality has gone way down hill these last few years. He ended up selling it. Budget minded bolt action I'd take a look at this...

http://store.harrisonshootersupply.c...ad-camo-finish
Delaney37 would the whole thing.Delaney37 would the whole thing.Delaney37 would the whole thing.Delaney37 would the whole thing.Delaney37 would the whole thing.Delaney37 would the whole thing.Delaney37 would the whole thing.Delaney37 would the whole thing.Delaney37 would the whole thing.Delaney37 would the whole thing.Delaney37 would the whole thing.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:10 PM   #1757
Fight, build, win!

I would wait to see how Remington Arms chapter 11 plays out and who and if anyone buys them before a purchase. In all honesty Savage Arms makes a pretty nice bolt action in the same class as a 783.
srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-30-2018, 10:21 PM   #1758
Mahomosapien

If you want a budget bolt gun id look at the ruger American honestly. Mossberg and Remington quality is in the dumps right now
bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:22 AM   #1759
Seeking the Truth daily

I have one in 270. Im planning to sell it because im wanting a new 9mm. My eval is. Decent hunting rifle, scope and rings are trash
HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:34 AM   #1760
Fight, build, win!

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/m...EngageHunterXP

About same as the 787 better bushnell scope and weaver rings.
srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:27 AM   #1761
Fight, build, win!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Chef View Post
Thinking about getting one of these, anyone have an opinion?

https://www.remington.com/rifles/bol...del-783-scoped

Any particular reason your set on that rifle? I have many Remingtons and love them but after the sale in 2007 they just are not the same.

You could pick up a nice Browning Winchester or Ruger and add a decent scope and rings and be in business. Savage fit and finish aren't all that but they shoot fine groups and are solid trouble free bolts.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:53 AM   #1762
sorta mod-ish

I have had it recommended to me that the Berretta 9mm PX4 Storm is a fantastic carry piece. Opinions?

Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:08 AM   #1763
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowser View Post
I have had it recommended to me that the Berretta 9mm PX4 Storm is a fantastic carry piece. Opinions?

Nice pistol. I'm of the mind set that when carrying smaller is better. I like to go as small as possible. For me, that is either a Walther PPK or a Bersa Thunder.

And anyone that tells you that a .380 won't stop someone - they don't know the new ammo.

Besides - 7 rounds to the chest will generally stop ANYONE - regardless of caliber.

The other thing about a carry gun - it should be used to get you OUT of a situation as quickly as possible.

I HAVE carried (on occasion) my 1911 - and it's miserable.
Randallflagg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Randallflagg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Randallflagg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Randallflagg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Randallflagg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Randallflagg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Randallflagg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Randallflagg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Randallflagg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Randallflagg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Randallflagg is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:13 AM   #1764
Mahomosapien

I wouldnt want anything with a slide safety for a carry piece, its just another thing to snag up on clothes and engage, and cost you time in a potentially dangerous situation.
bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:38 AM   #1765
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS

Quote:

The trigger sucks balls.
Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:22 AM   #1766
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randallflagg View Post
Nice pistol. I'm of the mind set that when carrying smaller is better. I like to go as small as possible. For me, that is either a Walther PPK or a Bersa Thunder.

And anyone that tells you that a .380 won't stop someone - they don't know the new ammo.

Besides - 7 rounds to the chest will generally stop ANYONE - regardless of caliber.

The other thing about a carry gun - it should be used to get you OUT of a situation as quickly as possible.

I HAVE carried (on occasion) my 1911 - and it's miserable.
My CC instructor, who is an ex-Marine and ex-Chicago cop, wouldn't even let anybody in the class unless they had at least a 9mm. His duty weapon was a full sized Glock in 45. Remember, Mike Brown took five rounds of 40 and kept coming - it took a sixth shot to the head to finally drop him. And under duress, you can't assume that you're going to hit like you're at the range. I want bigger rounds than a .380, and plenty of them.

I carry an all metal CZ 75 compact. Yeah, it's heavy. I deal with it.
Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-01-2018, 12:06 PM   #1767
Rockin' yer FACE OFF!

Quote:

When I was buying a year and a half ago, it was between this, the Springfield XD and the SIg P320. Sig won out easily. I never live fired any of them, but the trigger and the safety on the Berretta frankly sucked.

Check out the SIg P320. Striker fired, which I like better for CC anyway, and super comfortable. Never had a problem except when I got it I gripped it too high with my thumb and engaged the slide release, which would cause the slide to close when the mag was empty. Once I figured that out, the thing shoots like a dream, and eats any ammo I feed it.

I got the Compact, so it's a 4 inch barrel, a little longer than I'd like but it's not been a problem. The sub compact is like 3.5 inches, but that wasn't readily available, and I like the accuracy of the 4 inch.
InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-01-2018, 12:50 PM   #1768
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazod View Post
My CC instructor, who is an ex-Marine and ex-Chicago cop, wouldn't even let anybody in the class unless they had at least a 9mm. His duty weapon was a full sized Glock in 45. Remember, Mike Brown took five rounds of 40 and kept coming - it took a sixth shot to the head to finally drop him. And under duress, you can't assume that you're going to hit like you're at the range. I want bigger rounds than a .380, and plenty of them.

I carry an all metal CZ 75 compact. Yeah, it's heavy. I deal with it.

I understand. I retired from the Army in '88 - Joined in '67. Most of that time was spent carrying a concealed weapon. First? Our 1911s then the Army went to the 9mm (had to appease NATO) but nonetheless, that's what we had to do. Carried the old style Sig 270s Small gun - but easily concealable.

Today? I'm of the belief that "most" confrontations will occur no farther than 5-6 yards out. And, with the availability to the bad guy of Armor - I'm shooting for the head and the nuts. Why take a chance?

Point being - I'm not a cop (nor am I a Federal Agent any longer). AAR's frown on head and nut shots - tough. So, at least for me - three in the head and three in the nuts (with one to spare). I PROMISE you - a .380 with BSP rounds will get the job done.
Randallflagg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Randallflagg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Randallflagg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Randallflagg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Randallflagg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Randallflagg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Randallflagg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Randallflagg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Randallflagg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Randallflagg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Randallflagg is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-01-2018, 12:51 PM   #1769
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by InChiefsHell View Post
When I was buying a year and a half ago, it was between this, the Springfield XD and the SIg P320. Sig won out easily. I never live fired any of them, but the trigger and the safety on the Berretta frankly sucked.

Check out the SIg P320. Striker fired, which I like better for CC anyway, and super comfortable. Never had a problem except when I got it I gripped it too high with my thumb and engaged the slide release, which would cause the slide to close when the mag was empty. Once I figured that out, the thing shoots like a dream, and eats any ammo I feed it.

I got the Compact, so it's a 4 inch barrel, a little longer than I'd like but it's not been a problem. The sub compact is like 3.5 inches, but that wasn't readily available, and I like the accuracy of the 4 inch.
Funny - but there isn't a Sig made that I do not like! Love everything they build.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:00 PM   #1770
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randallflagg View Post
I understand. I retired from the Army in '88 - Joined in '67. Most of that time was spent carrying a concealed weapon. First? Our 1911s then the Army went to the 9mm (had to appease NATO) but nonetheless, that's what we had to do. Carried the old style Sig 270s Small gun - but easily concealable.

Today? I'm of the belief that "most" confrontations will occur no farther than 5-6 yards out. And, with the availability to the bad guy of Armor - I'm shooting for the head and the nuts. Why take a chance?

Point being - I'm not a cop (nor am I a Federal Agent any longer). AAR's frown on head and nut shots - tough. So, at least for me - three in the head and three in the nuts (with one to spare). I PROMISE you - a .380 with BSP rounds will get the job done.
Yeah, I think about that cop that got killed across the street recently. Had I been there when it went down, and opened up on the guy, I might well have been ****ed, since he was wearing body armor. Of course, it's body armor and not a Star Trek energy shield, so it's not like the guy won't be affected by the impact, nor would I expect some hoodrat to have top grade armor either, so it probably would fail after a few hits.

But still...... I'm a lot more cognizant of the benefit of aiming for the head now.