Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room

Old 01-20-2020, 06:59 PM  
In Search of a Life

Trip Report: Experience of a Lifetime!

So, wanted to share about our(8 year old son and I)experience with the game yesterday. I suck at technology so I don’t know how to post pics so that’s out, but here’s how it went:

4:30a(MST)- I wake up my son. I tell him “hey buddy, I know it’s early but I have a surprise for you. I need you to wake up and come with me”. He looks at me, tired and a confused, and says “oh, okay”

4:45a(MST)- son is now awake and drinking his mocha. He asks “dad, are we going to the Chiefs game?”- he’s a smart little ****er. I tell him that we are(was planning on revealing at the airport, so no biggie). He gets the biggest smile on his face and practically leaps into my arms from his seat at the kitchen island. We depart shortly thereafter. He asks questions about what it will be like the whole way to the airport.

6:00a(MST)- We board the plane. You guys would’ve been proud. Almost the whole plane is decked out in Chiefs gear. One dude is in full Packers gear. Weird. Flight leaves at 6:35 and arrives right on time at 10a(CST).

11:00a(CST)- Arrive at my buddy’s house in OP. Quick run to the shitter for me and a change of clothes. I go with long sleeves Chiefs shirt, Mahomes Salute to Service Jersey and a big, yellow Chiefs hoodie for the walk through the parking lot. Chiefs headband and Salute to Service hat. My son dons a Chiefs hoodie, his NFL Flag Chiefs jersey and gloves and a wool snow hat or whatever those are called. Uber arrives to take us to the game.

12:15p(CST)- Arrive at Arrowhead. It’s soooo cold. Definitely the coldest my son has ever experienced(he’s an AZ native). No time to hit a CP tailgate(bummer. Next year for sure)so we walk through the parking lot. My son is just soaking it all in. We arrive at the Tower Suites.

12:45p(CST)- We make our way up to the Penthouse Suite. If you’ve never been up there, do yourself a favor and hit a game there at least once. It’s on the press level and the view is unreal. Great view of the game(we had such a great look at Pat’s amazing TD!), and amazing view of the rest of the crowd. Plus, the food and drink is included. First half was a buffet of BBQ salmon, chicken, sides, great salads and some unreal desserts. Second half was brats and chili dogs!

12:50p(CST)-We take our seats(nice and warm in there), intros, anthem all that.
Right before the game starts, my awestruck son leans over and whispers “this is the best day of my life. I can’t believe you brought me from another state to see this”. I give him a hug. The game starts.

1:05p(CST)-6p(CST)- You don’t need me to recap the game. It was awesome! The suite crowd took a bit to get into it. I kinda think people up there are a bit afraid to make noise. That went out the window by the time Pat had his run. Prior to that, my group was certainly brining the noise the whole time. My son quickly got used to yelling and high fiving anyone, young or old, within 3 seats of us in all directions. He had such a blast. By the end of the game he was down by the glass, with his face pressed against it, hooked to the last few minutes. Speaking of, with about 10 minutes to go, a guy would yell on the minute, every minute “10(9-8-7-etc)minutes to go!” And the whole suite would freak out! After the Hardman PI play, I took a minute to look at all of you(literally and figuratively)and I saw so much pure joy. And I thought of all my CPers in AZ and I thought of Notorious and Nzoner and Clay and George Blowfish and so many others I have never met but love anyway. And it was glorious. Game ended, we watched the ceremony and left.

6-7:30p(CST)- We hit the elevators. I play “Miami” by Will Smith on my phone. The crowd in the elevator digs it. We hit the sidewalk in front of the stadium. I’m holding my son’s right hand in my left as we walk. I’m yelling and high fiving everyone in sight. I look down to the left. My son is doing the same thing with his left hand. Total proud dad moment. I’ll never forget that walk as long as I live. We get to the Z Trip line and get a cab back to OP. We eat Q39 and find out who our SB opponent will be.

9p(CST)- We crash hard.

Monday morning 9:45a(CST-11:50aMST)- We fly home. My son wears his Chiefs headband proudly the whole way and walk to the car back at Sky Harbor. He says “I can’t believe I got to see my favorite team make it to the Super Bowl for the first time in 50 years!”

I’ll never forget that 24 hours. It’ll be the day my son and I will always remember with love and pride.

I just wanted to share that with y’all. Thanks for being a part of one of the best memories of my life.
Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-20-2020, 07:42 PM   #16
Starter

Thank you for sharing, Mr. Why Not. I have two daughters (youngest is also eight), and wish they’d be interested in going to a game experience exactly like that.
modocsot has disabled reputation
Old 01-20-2020, 07:43 PM   #17
Rockin' yer FACE OFF!

That. Is. Awesome. I took my daughter to her first game at the age of 21 so we could tailgate together. Not as heart warming as your story but man, we had a helluva great time the two of us. It was the 3rd and 48 game and Arrowhead broke the noise record (the first time). She was not a Chiefs fan before that, but after the game, she is ALL about the Chiefs. Now, her son is 7 and I promised I'd get him to a game by the time he's 10.

Great story dude. Dad of they year kind of stuff!
InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-20-2020, 07:51 PM   #18
Veteran

Great story ,happy for you nothing like memories with your kids.i took my son and daughter ages 7 and 8 to the Denver play off game in 97 great time and memories just not the happy ending y’all got to enjoy lol. Glad yours turned out better!!!
R Clark wants to die in a aids tree fire.R Clark wants to die in a aids tree fire.R Clark wants to die in a aids tree fire.R Clark wants to die in a aids tree fire.R Clark wants to die in a aids tree fire.R Clark wants to die in a aids tree fire.R Clark wants to die in a aids tree fire.R Clark wants to die in a aids tree fire.R Clark wants to die in a aids tree fire.R Clark wants to die in a aids tree fire.R Clark wants to die in a aids tree fire.
Old 01-20-2020, 07:55 PM   #19
In Search of a Life

These response are what make this a special place. Thank you all
Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 08:18 PM   #20
Veteran

Great story!
DanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
Old 01-20-2020, 08:20 PM   #21
In Search of a Life

What a great day!

My son and I have had awesome Chief and Royals moments over the years. Sports is a great bonding agent...

I told my son since he was 3 that if the Chiefs make the Superbowl we are going...

We are finally going and he's 26!
IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 08:41 PM   #22
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief View Post
What a great day!

My son and I have had awesome Chief and Royals moments over the years. Sports is a great bonding agent...

I told my son since he was 3 that if the Chiefs make the Superbowl we are going...

We are finally going and he's 26!
That’s amazing! Have a great time!
Old 01-20-2020, 08:45 PM   #23
Mod Team

The kid sounds like he had a great time.

Hope you're taking him to the Super Bowl now.
lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:45 PM   #24
Please squeeze

How do you get tickets to the Penthouse Suite? And glad you had a great time with your son that is something that neither of you will forget.
dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:56 PM   #25
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk digler View Post
How do you get tickets to the Penthouse Suite? And glad you had a great time with your son that is something that neither of you will forget.
I have a good friend that does a lot of business with Wells Fargo, I think it is? He was out of the country but was able to get me 2 tickets on the house. Thanks for the kind words.

Edit: I originally read that as asking how I got the tickets. Anyone can by them, I think. I think they’re around $600 a game but don’t quote me on that. That’s just what I heard from some guy

Last edited by Why Not?; 01-20-2020 at 09:06 PM..
Old 01-20-2020, 09:03 PM   #26
Starter

I remember watching Chiefs games with my dad, and he always apologized for turning me into a Chiefs fan. I'm glad I grew up watching the Chiefs and the Royals with him, and I wish he could have been here to watch this with me. But, I am blessed with a wife, who has been with me for every KC experience since he passed away. And I can't wait to make some spur of the moment memories like that with my family. Awesome experience with your son. Father of the Year stuff indeed!

Last edited by LittleMeatballNick; 01-20-2020 at 09:05 PM.. Reason: Addition to the End
LittleMeatballNick has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.LittleMeatballNick has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.LittleMeatballNick has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.LittleMeatballNick has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.LittleMeatballNick has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.LittleMeatballNick has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.LittleMeatballNick has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.LittleMeatballNick has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.LittleMeatballNick has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.LittleMeatballNick has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.LittleMeatballNick has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.
Thumbs Up 5 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 09:54 PM   #27
In Search of a Life

Damn I would have been terrified to cut it that close with possible airline delays - especially in January. Glad it worked out!
suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:00 PM   #28
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMeatballNick View Post
I remember watching Chiefs games with my dad, and he always apologized for turning me into a Chiefs fan. I'm glad I grew up watching the Chiefs and the Royals with him, and I wish he could have been here to watch this with me. But, I am blessed with a wife, who has been with me for every KC experience since he passed away. And I can't wait to make some spur of the moment memories like that with my family. Awesome experience with your son. Father of the Year stuff indeed!
Thanks man. Here’s to your entry in that arena one day!
Old 01-20-2020, 10:02 PM   #29
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzzer99 View Post
Damn I would have been terrified to cut it that close with possible airline delays - especially in January. Glad it worked out!
Yeah it was a bit of a dice roll but both kids had sporting events Saturday so couldn’t leave until Sunday early. Ending up missing all the bad weather and no delays. Just one of those perfect all the way around things.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 10:03 PM   #30
Spooky Action

Hope you took plenty of two-shot selfies, you and your kid. What a great memory for you you both.
EPodolak 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.EPodolak 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.EPodolak 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.EPodolak 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.EPodolak 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.EPodolak 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.EPodolak 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.EPodolak 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.EPodolak 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.EPodolak 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.EPodolak 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.