Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 04-05-2017, 10:55 AM  
World's Best Boss

*** Official 2017 Royals Repository ***

Chiefsplanet’s (Proposed) 2017 Season Title: One Last Ride

Midish-Season Update (Royals 51-47, 2nd Wild Card, 1.5 GB of ALC):

We're halfway through 2017, and fittingly to the Chiefsplanet's 2017 Season Title, the Royals are all-in on what will likely be one final run with the current core. While many are worried the Royals will take a 2004 style tumble after this year, the farm system is hardly the barren wasteland it was during the Baird years. To see what's in the pipeline and what we have to look forward to, check out this exceptional list and analysis that Duncan put together of our system.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...htmlview#gid=0

While I had the honor of starting this thread this year, Duncan will always have a VIP pass to this OP, and can add more content at any time.

2017's Burning Questions Revisited:

1. What is the threshold between being “buyers” and “sellers” at the deadline?

We're buyers, baby.

In April, I argued that it would be a wise strategy for us to sell if we were 5 GB or worse, but that Dayton would likely add supplemental pieces for us to load up for another run if we were 1-2 GB. On July 24th, the Royals found themselves in sole possession of the 2nd wild card spot and 1.5 games back of the division. In April I said the Royals might pull the trigger on someone like Alex Cobb and resign Luke Hochevar, but since the Rays are also buyers and Luke's shoulder hasn't rebounded, this prediction hasn't come to fruition. Luckily, Dayton Moore again proved much more adept and creative than me by adding Trevor Cahill (good call, Duncan), Brandon Maurer and Ryan Buchter in a single trade. Giving us a solid starter to compete in 2017, and two relievers whom we will control through 2019 and 2021, respectively, keeping Moore's new vision through 2019-2020 intact. Moore has hinted that the Royals will continue to pursue the right deals if they're there, so the fun may not be over just yet. While we may not have the bullets to pull in a "star" like Cueto or Zo, Moore's adeptness may yet again net us what we need for another run in October.

2. Can Gordo and Moose bounce back to 2015 levels?

In April I asked if Gordo could at least set the table at a 265/325/425 clip and if Moose could deliver damage around a 265/335/500 clip for an entire year. This season Mr. Moustakas has been the prospect that was promised, delivering at a 277/307/568 clip as of this update. Gordo, on the other hand, has put up an unbelievably abysmal line thus far. But, if there is a silver lining, it's that Gordo has performed at a 246/311/432 line since June 1st, and if he can continue to perform near that mark, he will be more than a valuable asset at the bottom of the lineup while he continues to provide the best LF defense in the league.

3. Can Ned Yost manage a bullpen?

In April, I felt that despite the poor start, Royals bullpen would ultimately be "solid" this year, but the question was whether "solid" was good enough for Ned. I argued that the Royals needed Soria to bounce back and that Ned would need to start being strategic in his L/L and R/R matchups. While Ned has still made at times baffling and frustrating decisions with his starters (such as allowing Travis Wood to try to "get the win" and still insisting on sending Hammel out for the 6th, he's mostly done a good job).

MASH: Minor/Moylan - Alexander - Soria - Herrera (Credit to C3HIEF3S for the origins of the phrase) have cemented into reliable pieces, and now that Herrera is showing signs of stabilizing, our dumping of Wood, our call up Flynn, and the acquisition of Buchter and Maurer, the Royals have the potential to enter October with one of the best and deepest bullpens in the postseason.

4. Will the Royals find a boost from an unexpected X-Factor to lift them to contention?

Cool-Whit, Boni, Mike ****ing Minor, and Alexander have come up huge thus far. Cool Whit is, incredibly, is second on the team in WAR and has more than replaced Zo's presence on the team. They, like the X-Factors on the 2014-2015 teams, have been critical cogs as we've raced back to contention, while Cool-Whit and Boni also have provided a rosier outlook for this team's future. It's worth noting that Salvador Perez and Jason Vargas has been beasts on offense and the mound (along with Sal providing his customary defensive excellence), but I am still a bit wary of Salvy's annual Yost assisted offensive drought as the team moves into August, along with Vargy regressing to his averages.

5. Can Jorge Soler and Brandon Moss be productive contributors in Kauffman’s dimensions?

Ouch, no, but the Royals shift to power-hitting in the juiced ball era looks like one that will pay off. Thankfully, Moss is showing signs of entering his seasonal hot streak where he becomes corn-fed Jesus for a month, and we'll need him hot to keep up with Cleveland down the stretch. While Jorge has been painful to watch in the majors, his scorching performance in AAA should give one a bright hope for the future. While some may disagree, I offer Moose, Hos, Gordo, and Duffy's struggles as exhibit A for why it is far too early to give up on Soler's potential.

Bonus Question - Is Raul Mondesi truly ready to be an everyday player?

Ha! Not even close. However, like Soler, his progress in AAA is incredibly encouraging. With ceilings like Lindor and floors being Esky being thrown out there, it's hard not to be excited about his future.

The Picture Forward

There are many reasons to be excited, and not only for 2017. The Royals emergence of Cool Whit, Bonifacio, and Scott Alexander, and the fact that we have pieces like Salvador Perez, Danny Duffy, Kelvin Herrera, Jorge Soler, Ryan Buchter, Brandon Maurer Cheslor Cuthbert, and Raul Mondesi until at least 2019 should leave one feeling pretty optimistic. Re-up Moose or Hos (and heck, re-sign Dyson while we're at it), and suddenly this team looks very much like one that could compete for the indefinite future.

The Royals are all in again, buckle in and enjoy the ride.

April OP:

Spoiler!

Last edited by Chiefspants; 08-02-2017 at 01:53 PM..
Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-04-2017, 12:25 PM   #3211
Rabbi Goldmann

According to the 2011 BA prospect book, Royals had settled on Josh Vitters #2 overall in 2007 before switching to Moose the day of the draft. I had never heard that. Any insights?
Prison Bitch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Prison Bitch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Prison Bitch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Prison Bitch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Prison Bitch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Prison Bitch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Prison Bitch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Prison Bitch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Prison Bitch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Prison Bitch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Prison Bitch is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-04-2017, 12:26 PM   #3212
I’m a Mahomo!

How about Neshek for the Royals pen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-04-2017, 12:30 PM   #3213
I’m a Mahomo!

MLB Draft 2017: Q&A with Royals’ first-round pick Nick Pratto

Leading up to Day 1 of the MLB Draft on June 12, we will be conducting Q&A interviews with many prospects who are projected to be first-rounders. For a complete listing of these interviews, click here.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Next is Huntington Beach (Calif.) HS first baseman Nick Pratto, a 6-foot-1, 193 lb. Southern California commit. Pratto, who won the 2011 Little League World Series in Williamsport, is one of the best pure high school bats in the country and is expected to focus on hitting after entering the year as a two-way player.

Pratto’s projections vary a bit, with some reports noting he has a chance to be a top-10 pick. Baseball America (12th-Pirates), MLB.com (20th-Mets) and ESPN (24th-Red Sox) all project him as a mid-to-late first-rounder at the moment. Be sure to check out Pratto’s full scouting report over at SB Nation’s Minor League Ball.

When did you first get into baseball as a kid and realized how much you loved the game?

“I’d have to say I was about 8 years old. It was my first little taste of travel ball and playing a lot of games at one time. For me, that was so much fun and really where I learned to love the game.”

Did you have a favorite team growing up? A favorite player?

“I never had one specific favorite player, but I was always a Dodgers fan.”

For you, was there a turning point moment when you realized you could become a first-round draft pick?

“Going into this season, I kind of had my own expectations. I always thought I was gonna go in the first round, whether other people said it was the second or the first, I thought I was borderline coming in. I think it was the beginning of the preseason where I believed I had solidified myself.”

What led to your decision to commit to play for Southern California?

“I’ve grown up a USC fan my whole life. I had a lot of faith in their program and their coach. I was just really comfortable around that campus.”

You were a member of the team that won the Little League World Series six years ago. How has your life changed since that experience?

“So much. That’s really where I learned to compete on the big stage, and just become a team. It was a bunch of kids from my hometown. We started from normal, average kids and became champions. That was a big step for Hagen [Danner] and I to learn how to play the game on the big stage.”

In the LLWS, you hit a walk-off single in the bottom of the 6th with the bases loaded and two outs to clinch the championship. Looking back at that, it must have been a ton of pressure for an 11-year old. Are you ever afraid of stepping out on the field after something like that so young?

“It was a weird moment for me because I remember not expecting to get up. I was the last possible hitter to be able to get up. I remember walking up to the plate surprised that I even got that opportunity. I was waiting in the dugout just wanting it. I walked up to the plate and it wasn’t even like the stage mattered. I just walked up like it was a normal at-bat.”

You mentioned Hagen Danner, one of your high school teammates who is also a projected first- or second-round pick this year. How have you guys fed off each other as this process has gone on?

“It’s always good having somebody going through it with you. Hagen and I have done a good job of keeping each other up and helping each other grind through this.”

What would you characterize as your biggest strength on the field?

“I’d have to say my competitiveness and leadership. Every team I’ve been on, it seems like I’ve taken on that kind of role. I’ve always pushed everybody to be at their best.”

On the other side of that, what do you want to work on the most at the next level?

“Just really hitting the ball. If you hit, you’ll play. That’s what my main focus will be.”

What factors will go into your decision in a couple weeks when it’s time to either go pro or go to school at USC?

“There are all kinds of things that factor into it. Which team, where, and the money, obviously. You need to be able to start a life. All those contribute to my decision-making.”

Historically, there haven’t been a ton of high school first baseman be successful major-leaguers after being picked high in the draft. What makes you different? Why will you be a guy who breaks that trend.

“The makeup. That really sums it all up. Anybody who knows me would say that I work extremely hard. I wouldn’t let failure be something that would happen.”

You had the unique experience of transferring in the middle of high school, from Mater Dei to Huntington Beach. Take me through that decision?

“Coming to Mater Dei, they were coming off an extremely good year with talent on the team. I came with really, really high expectations and the program didn’t meet my expectations. I wasn’t having a good time and it was time for me to go back. Time to just go play with the original guys.”

If you had to pick a major-league comp for yourself, who would it be and why?

“I’d have to say Anthony Rizzo right now. I think the approaches and the swings are similar. I expect that’s how I’m gonna be in the major leagues right now.”

What advantages do you have as someone who grew up in an amateur baseball hotbed like southern California?

“We separate ourselves from the others just being the best all-around baseball players. Just knowing how to adjust and get out there everyday against really good competition.”

You were formerly thought of as a two-way talent, with some thinking you could pitch in the pros as well. How does your experience as a pitcher help you in the batter’s box?

“It creates the best ballplayer. Having experienced both sides of the ball, it comes easier what to expect from pitchers and how to position yourself on the field. It’s just baseball IQ.”

What’s it like going through this very important process as a high school senior... having something like prom three days before getting drafted?

“It’s been hectic. Once the season ended, the workouts and the phonecalls and the meetings. It’s hectic, but it’s a tradeoff and reward.”

Heading into the draft, any expectations as to where you’ll fall on the draft board? Any goals?

“No, I’m just going into it expecting the best and just seeing what happens.”

KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-04-2017, 12:32 PM   #3214
M-I-Z-Z-O-U

Quote:
Originally Posted by KChiefs1 View Post

Would be a nice fit. Really having a great year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch View Post
According to the 2011 BA prospect book, Royals had settled on Josh Vitters #2 overall in 2007 before switching to Moose the day of the draft. I had never heard that. Any insights?

I vaguely remember them being connected to Vitters. Believe Moustakas put on an impressive display of raw power in their last look and won him over.

duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-04-2017, 12:33 PM   #3215
LEGEND!

Quote:

Would but what will it cost
penbrook would the whole thing.penbrook would the whole thing.penbrook would the whole thing.penbrook would the whole thing.penbrook would the whole thing.penbrook would the whole thing.penbrook would the whole thing.penbrook would the whole thing.penbrook would the whole thing.penbrook would the whole thing.penbrook would the whole thing.
Old 07-04-2017, 12:36 PM   #3216
Rabbi Goldmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho View Post
Would be a nice fit. Really having a great year.

I vaguely remember them being connected to Vitters. Believe Moustakas put on an impressive display of raw power in their last look and won him over.

Seems odd. He set the CA record for homers, what more would they need to see?

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/sto...gue/376407001/
Edit: great article on Vitters here. For all the misses we have had, we have hits too, and this miss would've kept us from winning the WS

Last edited by Prison Bitch; 07-04-2017 at 12:51 PM..
Prison Bitch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Prison Bitch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Prison Bitch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Prison Bitch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Prison Bitch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Prison Bitch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Prison Bitch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Prison Bitch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Prison Bitch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Prison Bitch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Prison Bitch is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:06 PM   #3217
M-I-Z-Z-O-U

Quote:
Originally Posted by penbrook View Post
Would but what will it cost

Not THAT much for a non-closer in his late 30s who is a FA following the season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch View Post
Seems odd. He set the CA record for homers, what more would they need to see?

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/sto...gue/376407001/
Edit: great article on Vitters here. For all the misses we have had, we have hits too, and this miss would've kept us from winning the WS

That's why I am willing to defend Moore's draft record. It has misses, but he has garnered a useable player from his top pick more often than not.

duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:21 PM   #3218
Special Teams ACE!!!

Quote:

Brandon Moss straight up trade!!!!!!!111

But seriously... what duncan said. Shouldn't be hard to find a random prospect to deal. We wouldn't even have to touch our Omaha guys, I don't think.
RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:27 PM   #3219
Rabbi Goldmann

Quote:
Not THAT much for a non-closer in his late 30s who is a FA following the season.

That's why I am willing to defend Moore's draft record. It has misses, but he has garnered a useable player from his top pick more often than not.

He got Duffy in the 3rd that year and Holland in the 11th. That's a monster haul and he could've missed on Moose and still had a good draft (but no ring obv)

Funny looking at that draft, the Cubs missed on Vitters but hit on some dude named Josh Donaldson in the supplemental round. Of course, he was a C at Auburn and in true Cubs fashion was traded to Oakland.

If DM blew the Colon pick in 2010 at 4 overall, he had already made up for it taking Wil Myers 3rd round the year before. So just switch them and that's their fair draft value
Old 07-04-2017, 01:33 PM   #3220
Future NBA Finals MVP

Dick Lovelady

Hitting 100 mph, throws a mean slider. Absolutely dominating in the minors so far as a reliever.

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp...ching/2017/ALL

0.99 ERA this year, 4bb, 46ks. Currently in AA.
BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:40 PM   #3221
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWillie View Post
Dick Lovelady

Hitting 100 mph, throws a mean slider. Absolutely dominating in the minors so far as a reliever.

Never heard of him, but that's some pretty damn impressive numbers so far in the minors . . . . . and he's a lefty!
TomBarndtsTwin is obviously part of the inner Circle.TomBarndtsTwin is obviously part of the inner Circle.TomBarndtsTwin is obviously part of the inner Circle.TomBarndtsTwin is obviously part of the inner Circle.TomBarndtsTwin is obviously part of the inner Circle.TomBarndtsTwin is obviously part of the inner Circle.TomBarndtsTwin is obviously part of the inner Circle.TomBarndtsTwin is obviously part of the inner Circle.TomBarndtsTwin is obviously part of the inner Circle.TomBarndtsTwin is obviously part of the inner Circle.TomBarndtsTwin is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:47 PM   #3222
You don't faze me, Gobble.

Quote:
Dick Lovelady

Wow.
Mama Hip Rockets is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Mama Hip Rockets is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Mama Hip Rockets is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Mama Hip Rockets is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Mama Hip Rockets is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Mama Hip Rockets is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Mama Hip Rockets is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Mama Hip Rockets is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Mama Hip Rockets is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Mama Hip Rockets is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Mama Hip Rockets is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
Old 07-04-2017, 02:12 PM   #3223
I’m a Mahomo!

Quote:
Dick Lovelady

With a name like that he is bound to be great.

Old 07-04-2017, 02:24 PM   #3224
M-I-Z-Z-O-U

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBarndtsTwin View Post
Never heard of him, but that's some pretty damn impressive numbers so far in the minors . . . . . and he's a lefty!

He goes by Richard.

Next time I do a prospects write up, I'll have it added to the OP in the thread.

Old 07-04-2017, 02:25 PM   #3225
World's Best Boss

Quote:
He goes by Richard.

Next time I do a prospects write up, I'll have it added to the OP in the thread.

Shoot me a PM and I'll happily add any of your content at any time.
Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.