Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 02-26-2020, 10:28 PM  
MVP

***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***

A couple of reminders...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwana View Post
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartgod View Post
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

Last edited by Bearcat; 03-25-2020 at 08:56 AM.. Reason: adding spoiler tag
JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 04-13-2020, 09:45 PM   #20521
I love your mom

We have 1 positive patient in our hospital and you can feel most of the staff are on edge now I can’t t imagine how those guys in NY are feeling , I am not a very anxious person and definitely not a germaphobe but I am definitely wary at home when i get back from work getting near the kids , invisible enemies suck.
Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.
Old 04-13-2020, 09:47 PM   #20522
I love your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy View Post
Wonder when they start opening things back up again... Id imagine end of this month.
It is going to be a tough call , nobody will want to be first .
Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.
Old 04-13-2020, 09:48 PM   #20523
Like I woke up in Wonderland..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugeater View Post
I don't know how we can...nothing has changed, it's still out there. I don't see a viable exit strategy right now.
I heard there are 70+ vaccines for this currently in development. Really hoping there is a breakthrough, and hopefully before the 14 to 18 month estimate.
sedated is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.sedated is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.sedated is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.sedated is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.sedated is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.sedated is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.sedated is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.sedated is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.sedated is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.sedated is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.sedated is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
Old 04-13-2020, 09:58 PM   #20524
The Maintenance Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedated View Post
I heard there are 70+ vaccines for this currently in development. Really hoping there is a breakthrough, and hopefully before the 14 to 18 month estimate.
Yep. We basically need a miracle. And even then, it's going to take a while to get it out to everyone. I hope I'm wrong but I don't see how this doesn't drag on well into summer.
Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-13-2020, 10:02 PM   #20525
Now you've pissed me off!

Quote:
I don't know how we can...nothing has changed, it's still out there. I don't see a viable exit strategy right now.
I wouldn't despair. Look at it this way:

1) We were able to put a pause on the exponential growth of the virus. We prevented the hospital systems from being overrun which substantially decreased fatalities and protected health care workers

2) We know that social distancing works to pause the epidemic

3) We've bought time for the further production of PPE, ventilators, and gained additional clinical insight into the virus and appropriate supportive care

This is not to say that this is over. If we are past the peak we are not yet off the mountain. However, once we ride down the other side of the peak, we can begin opening things up while adhering to practices that will reduce infectiousness. We will have additional time to implement a more robust system of contract tracing, and we will have time to develop and roll out antibody testing to gain a much better understanding of the first wave of the epidemic.

Look at it this way: Americans were asked to sacrifice to save their neighbors, the elderly, those at high risk and the infirm. Experts thought that 50% would adhere to these guidelines and 90% of them did.

We should look upon that as a triumph. If we continue this pattern we will likely save close to 100,000 lives (and perhaps ten times that many had we done nothing).
'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 10 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 10:05 PM   #20526
Fish are scared of me

My 87 year old mother fell a couple weeks ago and my brother found her and said she had a bloody nose. Well, she started acting weird the last 24 hours and they had to take her by ambulance to a hospital in Fort smith. Doctor said something abnormal on the brain scan and a little droopiness on one side so most likely having a stroke. I don't expect I'll get to see her again being 8 hours away.
Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-13-2020, 10:10 PM   #20527
Stay positive, don't give up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedated View Post
Be nice if a drug can be discovered that can reduce the severity of symptoms soon
Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.
Old 04-13-2020, 10:11 PM   #20528
Has a particular set of skills

Florida is such a weird state to live in. It’s a miracle anything gets done. This happened at a public cabinet meeting.
——————————————————————————————

Florida should social distance until a vaccine exists — even if it’s next year, surgeon general says

After his assertion on social distancing, Scott Rivkees was quickly removed from the room by Gov. Ron DeSantis’ spokesman’s

TALLAHASSEE — Floridians will be keeping their distance and wearing face masks for up to a year until a COVID-19 vaccine exists, Florida Surgeon General Scott Rivkees said Monday before being whisked away by the governor’s spokeswoman.

Rivkees told reporters that Floridians needed to get used to current precautions, such as avoiding crowds of 10 or more and wearing face masks in public.

“Until we get a vaccine, which is a while off, this is going to be our new normal and we need to adapt and protect ourselves,” he said.
BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-13-2020, 10:29 PM   #20529
THIS .... IS... ARROWHEAD!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monticore View Post
It is going to be a tough call , nobody will want to be first .
Texas does
BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-13-2020, 10:39 PM   #20530
www.nfl-forecast.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin View Post
My 87 year old mother fell a couple weeks ago and my brother found her and said she had a bloody nose. Well, she started acting weird the last 24 hours and they had to take her by ambulance to a hospital in Fort smith. Doctor said something abnormal on the brain scan and a little droopiness on one side so most likely having a stroke. I don't expect I'll get to see her again being 8 hours away.
Sorry to hear. I hope she bounces back.
cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-13-2020, 10:59 PM   #20531
Inmem 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins View Post

1) We were able to put a pause on the exponential growth of the virus. We prevented the hospital systems from being overrun which substantially decreased fatalities and protected health care workers

3) We've bought time for the further production of PPE, ventilators, and gained additional clinical insight into the virus and appropriate supportive care

This is not to say that this is over. If we are past the peak we are not yet off the mountain. However, once we ride down the other side of the peak, we can begin opening things up while adhering to practices that will reduce infectiousness. We will have additional time to implement a more robust system of contract tracing, and we will have time to develop and roll out antibody testing to gain a much better understanding of the first wave of the epidemic.

Look at it this way: Americans were asked to sacrifice to save their neighbors, the elderly, those at high risk and the infirm. Experts thought that 50% would adhere to these guidelines and 90% of them did.

We should look upon that as a triumph. If we continue this pattern we will likely save close to 100,000 lives (and perhaps ten times that many had we done nothing).
Do you have a link to the adherence part? I'd love to be able to show this to some dumb mother ****ers
Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-13-2020, 11:48 PM   #20532
The Maintenance Guy

Quote:

Not really despair, just trying to be realistic. More has to happen before we can start opening much back up, and it's not happening by the end of the month. I think people may be setting themselves up for a disappointment.

Not discounting what we've done by any means, however it's still early in the battle and we can't risk giving back the ground we gained.
Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-13-2020, 11:55 PM   #20533
Now you've pissed me off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titty Meat View Post
Do you have a link to the adherence part? I'd love to be able to show this to some dumb mother ****ers
It is based on adherence and a certain percentage reduction in contact. We talked about it in here last week, but I think the IMHE website changed.

Here's another example:

"In the U.S., Re has fallen most clearly in Seattle’s King County. There, researchers at the Institute for Disease Modeling calculated, it fell from 2.7 (and possibly as high as 3.5) in late February, when community transmission was accelerating, to roughly 1.4 or even lower on March 18. The county would have had roughly triple the number of cases in late March without social distancing, they found."

Play around with this if you want. It's an interesting tool:

https://columbia.maps.arcgis.com/app...2a5b9c09ba796c
'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-14-2020, 12:14 AM   #20534
www.nfl-forecast.com

Quote:
It is based on adherence and a certain percentage reduction in contact. We talked about it in here last week, but I think the IMHE website changed.

Here's another example:

"In the U.S., Re has fallen most clearly in Seattle’s King County. There, researchers at the Institute for Disease Modeling calculated, it fell from 2.7 (and possibly as high as 3.5) in late February, when community transmission was accelerating, to roughly 1.4 or even lower on March 18. The county would have had roughly triple the number of cases in late March without social distancing, they found."

Play around with this if you want. It's an interesting tool:

https://columbia.maps.arcgis.com/app...2a5b9c09ba796c
To put a personal context around these statistics, a former PhD student of mine lives in King County. His wife is scheduled to have a C-section for their second child in a matter of days. They were very nervous in early March when they were ground zero for the US. They are still nervous, but feeling a bit more reassured now that they know that surgery won't take place in the middle of COVID19 triage.
cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-14-2020, 01:07 AM   #20535
Sometimes it's black and white

Quote:
Not really despair, just trying to be realistic. More has to happen before we can start opening much back up, and it's not happening by the end of the month. I think people may be setting themselves up for a disappointment.

Not discounting what we've done by any means, however it's still early in the battle and we can't risk giving back the ground we gained.
I am not in the everything is over let's open everything up camp, but I think it would be ok to start slowly experimenting a little.

For instance trying to get the K through 6 grade opened back up. This age group probably isn't doing great online and it is hard on parents regarding the child care.

Since kids don't appear to be ending up in hospitals that often I think you could choose a handful of schools and give those parents and teachers the option of going back.

If you started small you could test like crazy for the virus and see how it goes.

I don't think opening all the schools all at once would be a good idea.
Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.