Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room

Old 05-21-2020, 04:00 PM  
Supporter

Clark Hunt: The Chiefs Will Begin Contract Negotiations W/Mahomes This Summer

https://1053thefan.radio.com/article...ahomes-this-su

Chiefs to Begin Extension Talks with Patrick Mahomes This Summer

The Chiefs plan to begin contract extension negotiations with star quarterback Patrick Mahomes this summer, chairman Clark Hunt said Wednesday evening.

The negotiations are something we’ll be getting into this summer,” Hunt said on a Facebook Live event with 105.3 The Fan in Dallas. “But what he has said and what we’ve said, both sides is, he wants to be a Kansas City Chief for life, and that’s our mentality as well. We want him to play his entire career in Kansas City, and that’s what we’re going to be shooting for.”

Mahomes is currently set to count around $5.3 million against the salary cap in 2020 on the fourth year of his rookie contract, but the expectation is he’ll sign a long-term extension and become the NFL’s highest-paid player given all he has accomplished early in his career.

Mahomes, 24, was named the NFL MVP in a spectacular 2018 and followed that up by leading the Chiefs to a Super Bowl title in the 2019 season, during which he threw for 4,031 yards, 26 touchdowns and five interceptions in 15 games in the regular season.

Hunt knows as well as anyone what Mahomes means to his organization.

“In terms of special qualities, the thing that really struck me in 2018, the first year that he became a full-time starter for us, was his leadership ability,” Hunt said. “We knew he had these special physical gifts. We had seen him on the practice field. We’d seen the no-look throws. We had seen the 70-yard bombs, all that stuff – I’m not sure we had seen the left-handed throw but maybe. But anyhow, we knew we had that. But the pleasant surprise was what a great leader he was at age 23. An NFL locker room is a very difficult place to come into as a young player and lead, but it was very evident that the entire team was looking up to him in his first year as a starter – and of course that carried over into this past season.

“He has a tremendous amount of humility going back to what I said about leadership qualities. So he’s very humble on one hand and very competitive on the other and his teammates all respect him and want to play for him and with him.”
DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-01-2020, 01:10 AM   #91
Fish are scared of me

Just think, if not for Dumbass Dee Ford Mahomes would likely have two SB victories already.
Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 05:32 AM   #92
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyecopeland View Post
I would expect it would be higher but probably not outrageously so. But it is the reason I'm kinda surprised that they haven't been working on a Chris Jones deal to clear some space for the extra money mahomes would be getting.

I was just using the 70 million signing bonus which seems reasonable here. On a 5 year extension as an example, that would be spread out over 7 years. That a 10 million dollar hit this season, plus what is probably a minimum salary.
Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
Old 06-01-2020, 05:47 AM   #93
Banned

Do any athletes own a private jet?
eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:01 AM   #94
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin View Post
Just think, if not for Dumbass Dee Ford Mahomes would likely have two SB victories already.
If Dee Ford hadn’t jumped offsides and we won that game and the super bowl, would Reid have kept Sutton? If so, I don’t think we win this past year
ILChief Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.ILChief Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.ILChief Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.ILChief Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.ILChief Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.ILChief Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.ILChief Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.ILChief Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.ILChief Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.ILChief Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.ILChief Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:46 AM   #95
DeadPunisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILChief View Post
If Dee Ford hadn’t jumped offsides and we won that game and the super bowl, would Reid have kept Sutton? If so, I don’t think we win this past year
Maybe Sutton would have retired. But, you definitely raise an interesting alternative timeline possibility.

But, getting revenge on the Rams for that 54-51 loss would have been epic. It's possible that the Chiefs vs Rams Super Bowl last year could have set ratings records, just based on the hype created by that MNF game.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
ChiefsFanatic wants to die in a aids tree fire.ChiefsFanatic wants to die in a aids tree fire.ChiefsFanatic wants to die in a aids tree fire.ChiefsFanatic wants to die in a aids tree fire.ChiefsFanatic wants to die in a aids tree fire.ChiefsFanatic wants to die in a aids tree fire.ChiefsFanatic wants to die in a aids tree fire.ChiefsFanatic wants to die in a aids tree fire.ChiefsFanatic wants to die in a aids tree fire.ChiefsFanatic wants to die in a aids tree fire.ChiefsFanatic wants to die in a aids tree fire.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:50 AM   #96
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefsFanatic View Post
Maybe Sutton would have retired. But, you definitely raise an interesting alternative timeline possibility.

But, getting revenge on the Rams for that 54-51 loss would have been epic. It's possible that the Chiefs vs Rams Super Bowl last year could have set ratings records, just based on the hype created by that MNF game.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
Given that KC’s defense was pretty bad in 2018-2019 season, a Chiefs/Rams Super Bowl would have been a hell of a lot more entertaining than Rams/Patriots. That was one of the most boring Super Bowls in recent decades.
DRM08 wants to die in a aids tree fire.DRM08 wants to die in a aids tree fire.DRM08 wants to die in a aids tree fire.DRM08 wants to die in a aids tree fire.DRM08 wants to die in a aids tree fire.DRM08 wants to die in a aids tree fire.DRM08 wants to die in a aids tree fire.DRM08 wants to die in a aids tree fire.DRM08 wants to die in a aids tree fire.DRM08 wants to die in a aids tree fire.DRM08 wants to die in a aids tree fire.
Old 06-01-2020, 09:15 AM   #97
Best Body On ChiefsPlanet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM08 View Post
Given that KC’s defense was pretty bad in 2018-2019 season, a Chiefs/Rams Super Bowl would have been a hell of a lot more entertaining than Rams/Patriots. That was one of the most boring Super Bowls in recent decades.
I thought it was fine. I know I'm in the minority but I thought watching Pats D play D way they did was a thing of beauty.
PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 06-01-2020, 09:45 AM   #98
Special Teams ACE!!!

Have we extended this piece of QB gold yet?
RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 10:35 AM   #99
M-I-Z-Z-O-U

For the team, the deal works best IF the structure is somewhat known and you have a lot of cash being delivered via roster bonuses/signing bonuses that let you keep 1) giving the player lots of cash now; 2) spreading the cash over an extended contract.

With Mahomes, KC will always want to kick the can down the road on his cap hits as much as possible, because you always want the player.

For Mahomes, it's guaranteed money/cash in hand that matter.

So... with the whole percentage of the cap coming up, I do wonder if maybe there's a way to schedule roster bonuses that use a percentage of the salary cap or something of that nature. Would potentially be the best of both worlds.
duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-01-2020, 12:55 PM   #100
Most Valuable Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongside View Post
**** it.

I legit want them to offer him a fixed percentage of the salary cap every year.

If it goes up, so does his contract.

Give him a true "career contract"
This is what I'd like, as well. 13-17% of the salary cap each year.
teedubya is obviously part of the inner Circle.teedubya is obviously part of the inner Circle.teedubya is obviously part of the inner Circle.teedubya is obviously part of the inner Circle.teedubya is obviously part of the inner Circle.teedubya is obviously part of the inner Circle.teedubya is obviously part of the inner Circle.teedubya is obviously part of the inner Circle.teedubya is obviously part of the inner Circle.teedubya is obviously part of the inner Circle.teedubya is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-01-2020, 01:02 PM   #101
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by teedubya View Post
I can't see any way 13% gets it done. That would be a little over $25 million this year. I have a hard time seeing anything below 18% getting it done. What would motivate him, or anyone for that matter, to take a deal like that that would take years of salary cap escalation to get to the "top tier" QB salaries? Couple that with the possibility of the cap decreasing or seemingly at best, a small increase in 2021 after. I can't expect the typical yearly cap increase next year that we have seen for a while now.

I would trust Veach and the cap guys to be able to continually field a very good team at other important cornerstone positions with 82% of the cap.
DrRyan has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.DrRyan has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.DrRyan has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.DrRyan has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.DrRyan has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.DrRyan has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.DrRyan has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.DrRyan has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.DrRyan has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.DrRyan has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.DrRyan has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.
Old 06-01-2020, 01:04 PM   #102
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by teedubya View Post
All but assures Patrick gets fair compensation while allowing the team the ability to stay competitive and plan ahead each and every year.
Kidd Lex is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Kidd Lex is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Kidd Lex is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Kidd Lex is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Kidd Lex is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Kidd Lex is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Kidd Lex is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Kidd Lex is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Kidd Lex is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Kidd Lex is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Kidd Lex is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
Old 06-01-2020, 01:07 PM   #103
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRyan View Post
I can't see any way 13% gets it done. That would be a little over $25 million this year. I have a hard time seeing anything below 18% getting it done. What would motivate him, or anyone for that matter, to take a deal like that that would take years of salary cap escalation to get to the "top tier" QB salaries? Couple that with the possibility of the cap decreasing or seemingly at best, a small increase in 2021 after. I can't expect the typical yearly cap increase next year that we have seen for a while now.

I would trust Veach and the cap guys to be able to continually field a very good team at other important cornerstone positions with 82% of the cap.
One thing to remember is his cap number the next two years is like $5 million a year. It would still be a large raise the next few years, and then jump as the cap jumps. You’re certainly right, would have to be higher than 13% and or have some performance kickers.
Kidd Lex is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Kidd Lex is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Kidd Lex is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Kidd Lex is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Kidd Lex is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Kidd Lex is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Kidd Lex is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Kidd Lex is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Kidd Lex is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Kidd Lex is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Kidd Lex is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
Old 06-01-2020, 01:16 PM   #104
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Lex View Post
One thing to remember is his cap number the next two years is like $5 million a year. It would still be a large raise the next few years, and then jump as the cap jumps. You’re certainly right, would have to be higher than 13% and or have some performance kickers.
5+ million this year. Next year is just short of 25 million.
Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 02:41 PM   #105
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coogs View Post
5+ million this year. Next year is just short of 25 million.
Damn, the 5th year option really jumps. Thanks for sharing, that takes away some value.